Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    I'm not saying that her story as it exists somehow retroactively becomes absurd through the existence of this show. That would be nonsense since they do not exist in the same canon. I am saying that if her story was put on the screen today with the same "bending the rules for the sake of inclusivity" mindset of this TV show, it would necessarily become absurd. And that's the crux of it really. By engaging in this form of assimilation you rob yourself of the ability to meaningfully tell certain stories.
    Yes, if they included women in the Rohirrim and then made it a plot point to exclude Eowyn for no other reason than that she was a woman, that would make no sense. But if they wanted to include those same changes to the army and keep her story intact, literally all they'd have to do was emphasize that she was the last family Theoden had (that wasn't either already dead or potentially riding to their death with him), and he wanted to keep her safe while setting her up as the leader and defender of Rohan if he and the rest of his soldiers should fall in battle.

This isn't hard. Nor is it a good idea to assume that simply because this culture that existed thousands of years before Eowyn's story took place are depicted a certain way, that it should effect her and her culture.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-07-27 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Just because I enjoyed the PJ movies doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy to have more female representation in them. You know, you can like things and still want them to improve.
    They literally cut a secondary character and gave his role to Arwen to give her more screen time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yes, if they included women in the Rohirrim and then made it a plot point to exclude Eowyn for no other reason than that she was a woman, that would make no sense. But if they wanted to include those same changes to the army and keep her story intact, literally all they'd have to do was emphasize that she was the last family Theoden had (that wasn't either already dead or potentially riding to their death with him), and he wanted to keep her safe while setting her up as the leader and defender of Rohan if he and the rest of his soldiers should fall in battle.

This isn't hard. Nor is it a good idea to assume that simply because this culture that existed thousands of years before Eowyn's story took place are depicted a certain way, that it should effect her and her culture.
    That would be incredibly stupid and would be a King people wouldn't follow. You want to take my kid to war who is barely in his teens but protect your daughter while I'm already serving on the front lines as a mom hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    That would be incredibly stupid and would be a King people wouldn't follow. You want to take my kid to war who is barely in his teens but protect your daughter while I'm already serving on the front lines as a mom hell no.
    lol...
    You say this as if it wouldn't already happen with fathers watching their young sons being conscripted to go off to die alongside them. Pretty sure there were literally scenes of women crying as their children were taken from their arms and straight to the armory at Helm's Deep in the 2nd movie.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    lol...
    You say this as if it wouldn't already happen with fathers watching their young sons being conscripted to go off to die alongside them. Pretty sure there were literally scenes of women crying as their children were taken from their arms and straight to the armory at Helm's Deep in the 2nd movie.
    Yes and the King wasn't hiding his son not letting him fight. In fact his son died because he was raised to fight. Of course there are those scenes but the difference is the King himself isn't hiding his progeny while making others fight. It's boys who have seen too few winters or old men who have seen too many. The women and girls are protected because that's what you did back then since women were treated as resources due to the shockingly high fatality rates during wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    The women and girls are protected because that's what you did back then since women were treated as resources due to the shockingly high fatality rates during wars.
    Back when? This isn't history. It's a fictional world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Back when? This isn't history. It's a fictional world.
    Tolkien had a fetish for history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Tolkien had a fetish for history.
    He also had a fetish for folklore and self invented languages.
    Hobbits and elves aren't history based. It's funny people get triggered because they see a woman fighting. WoMaN sTrOnK.

He also had a fetish for folklore and self invented languages.
    Hobbits and elves aren't history based. It's funny people get triggered because they see a woman fighting. WoMaN sTrOnK.
    imagine you can go along with orcs, goblins, whatever the fuck tom bombadil is and u get big mad when u see a doris with a sword lmao

7+ Year Old Account
    They literally cut a secondary character and gave his role to Arwen to give her more screen time.

- - - Updated - - -

I know, I read the books. Which I also enjoyed. And I still can say that more representation is still a good thing.

In other news, I really hope the show does well so we can get a "The Children of Hurin" spinnoff show/movie set during the first age from Amazon. That story was the best one Tolkien ever wrote <3.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

He also had a fetish for folklore and self invented languages. Hobbits and elves aren't history based. It's funny people get triggered because they see a woman fighting. WoMaN sTrOnK.
    And we saw how many fighting among the Rohirrim?

10+ Year Old Account
    And we saw how many fighting among the Rohirrim?
    So the Rohirrim had male fighters. And that means no single race or tribe in the history of Middle Earth ever had female warriors?

Funny, now you mention it, Eowyn was a prime example of female empowerment.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2022-07-28 at 01:08 PM.

So the Rohirrim had male fighters. And that means no single race or tribe in the history of Middle Earth ever had female warriors?

Funny, now you mention it, Eowyn was a prime example of female empowerment.
    Yes and it would take away rather significantly from her arc if she wasn't riding in the face of tradition and was instead just being protected because family.

So the Rohirrim had male fighters. And that means no single race or tribe in the history of Middle Earth ever had female warriors? Funny, now you mention it, Eowyn was a prime example of female empowerment.
    Yes. A statement. And why did that statement have to be made in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. A statement. And why did that statement have to be made in the first place?
    Because the ROHIRRIM only let men fight?
    Not because no woman ever in the history of middle earth picked up a sword.

Because the ROHIRRIM only let men fight? Not because no woman ever in the history of middle earth picked up a sword.
    Male chauvinism was extant, was this a surprise?

Damn people forgot how the witch king was defeated in his movies, Jackson was woke as hell lol. To be honest the only thing that I think is lame, is removing the fact dwarf women have beards. Oh and the abundance of buzz cuts... it looks so out of place. Rest looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Damn people forgot how the witch king was defeated in his movies, Jackson was woke as hell lol.
    Not Jackson. Tolkien.
    He wrote the story as the Witch King's unpleasant surprise, since it was never thought a woman would ever confront him, especially on a field of battle. And I'm sure "race" wasn't an issue. Quite an oversight on the elves' and dwarves' part.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Damn people forgot how the witch king was defeated in his movies, Jackson was woke as hell lol.
    Also one of the main themes in the trilogy was inclusivity. Men, dwarves, elves and hobbits had to put aside their differences and work together to defeat a great evil. Super woke and super liberal, sorry contards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    Also one of the main themes in the trilogy was inclusivity. Men, dwarves, elves and hobbits had to put aside their differences and work together to defeat a great evil. Super woke and super liberal, sorry contards.
    Yeah very inclusive but not wOmAn StRoNk

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    Wait until people find out elves canonically use gender-neutral pronouns.