Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    [video=youtube;lXuWnfnZmhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXuWnfnZmhA[video]

I know they put the 80s sitcom edited in, but it's fit.

They paid $1 billion for this shit and this is the best they could do. Like holy fuck.
    Jesus Christ.

How. How did this happen. They had 1 billion and the rights to one of the biggest most popular franchises. They could have any director, any cast, any writer. This show could've been anything. How did they end up with this? Is this some money laundry scheme?

They paid $1 billion for this shit and this is the best they could do. Like holy fuck.
    Is that really legit ? Not a meme or something like that ?

Uh, yeah, ok that intro is just sad if it's the real deal. Big Bang Theory felt like they put more budget in theirs.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    The music is changed but yeah...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every trailer just keeps looking worse and worse as far as the style goes. That opening cinematic didn't take long to get memed on though. Good thing I started The Expanse yesterday, that show is actually great and if it is true that Amazon canned it for this pile of crap, that's a damn shame because it's actually been really good and I'm not even done season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    It's legit. It's already become a meme.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

That's not the intro. It's some promo shit they did.

WARNING, THREAD UPDATE: With the premiere of this show tonight, we're going to end lots of this discussion which has taken over this thread. It's tiring and goes in circles, and, in many cases, entirely in bad faith.

Do not post bad faith YT trash in this thread, whether it's from a YouTube channel with literally 4 subscribers (see above), or the Babylon Bee, a parody site engaged in culture war bullshit. This show is coming out tonight, and the time for these inane discussions of what a faithful adaptation is are done.

Going forward, the discussion should be centered around what is actual shown in the aired media, which, again, is premiering tonight. And no, the existence of a black elf in a Tolkein adaptation is not permission to continue these previous discussions.

Further continuation of these topics will be considered off-topic, derailing, and will be infracted.

Seen the first two episodes at the premiere already.

The arguments about the casting will be moot when everyone sees how bland it is.

A lot of the script and acting is just pretty bad.

The second episode improves quite a bit though. They really should be showing the first two episodes, as the first might put a lot of people off returning on its own.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Not gunna lie for the first 30 seconds I thought this was legit. I just thought that they were pulling a Disney with that shitty cgi squirrel hoping so they could sell a cutesy toy.

Snipped .
    Last edited by Radux; 2022-09-01 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    The second episode improves quite a bit though. They really should be showing the first two episodes, as the first might put a lot of people off returning on its own.
    Is that not the plan with the full release tonight? Is it not 2 episodes?

Still halfway into the first episode, and it's really not terrible. Only thing I'm bothered by so far--why is it that like 90% of the Elves are sporting trendy Millennial haircuts? It just feel so damn off and distracting. I feel like long, silky hair has always added to the ethereal characteristics of Tolkien Elves. Really wish they just went a more traditional direction for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leagues ahead of WoT.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Only watched the first episode but so far Its pretty good with the only real negative being the funky Fight with the Snow troll.

Really wish it showed more of the war with Morgoth though the eagle bit was a awesome opening for it.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quarter-way through the first episode.

It's actually not bad so far. The landscapes are breathtaking, and really get me back into the LOTR mood. Well worth the money they've spent on this, and I'd rewatch this just for the setpieces.

Acting isn't too bad. Dialogue works for me so far. Just have to turn my brain off and enjoy the ride.

The short haired Elves are a bit disconcerting, but I think it'll grow on me in time. No qualms on the costuming so far otherwise.

I like what I'm seeing far more than what I've seen in the trailers.

First episode done, and it's... not looking good.

Funnily enough, the snow troll fight many people have problems with I found quite well executed - it establishes the character as an expert fighter, it sets the scene for her matter-of-fact attitude and show how driven she is, and it doesn't drag on or uses egregious choreography (save the sword launch at the start which I do agree is a bit borderline).

My main problem so far is with two things.

1. Dialogue. Tolkien-level writing this is not, that's for sure; granted, it is a show, not a book, but still. A lot of the conversations feel wooden and ill-paced, and the diction is a little off - half is colloquialisms half makes an attempt at sophisticated prose, but the depth never goes beyond the shallow and feels stilted and artificial. It's especially bad for the humans and harfoots, where half the time it's the most stereotypical country drawl, only to switch over into theater-like stage delivery at a moment's notice. It feels out of place and poorly fit together.

2. Emotion. It's all over the place, and way too overdrawn. Galadriel especially never quite finds a line; she's supposed to be driven, instilled with a centuries-long never-forgive-never-forget kind of determination. Yet somehow she looks like she's ready to burst into tears or shouting half the time; the problem is how mismatched these things often are with what's going on. There's a constant disconnect between the acting and the narrative for her, which creates a feeling of unease that makes you feel uncomfortable watching her for all the wrong reasons. Similarly with Arondir, whose facial expression of perpetual annoyance just doesn't quite have a place with what he's doing. It's like the script goes in one direction, but the actors go in another - very disconcerting.
    Additionally, the emphasis on emotionally evocative visuals borders on the pathetic (as in its literary sense). The journey to Valinor that has them all standing like statues and then burst into choral song? Dear gods. That's the kind of scene a high-school student director might come up with for a play. It feels completely over the top and out of place, in fact that entire sequence feels like a 1980s aesthetic nightmare where someone discovered the gold color filter and went nuts. I could go on, there's more offenders.

The visuals as a whole are okay so far - but only okay, really. The landscapes are fine, and there's some nice details (love the Silvan elves' breast plates, for example), but a lot of it feels way too inorganic and artificial for a AAA-budget series from 2022. The harfoot village props, Gil-galad's court, they all look way too much like theater stages and not enough like a living, breathing world. It's not, like, terrible, but it doesn't wow me, either.

The actors I found okay so far. The cocky village youth (didn't catch the character's name, if it was mentioned) stuck out a bit, but the rest were mostly fine. I cannot unsee Elrond's chin every time he's in the frame, but that's unfair of me - the actor does a fine job. Then again it's episode 1 only and not enough has happened yet, so we'll have to see. The short hair on a lot of the elves doesn't really bother me. I always found the whole Legolas-style stereotype with flowing manes a rather stale cliché to begin with, so it's nice to see them give things some variety.

I'll watch episode 2 tomorrow and see how I like the dwarves, which some people have said were a lot more interesting than the elves. Time will tell. But this does not so far smell to me like a new hit series. The writing just isn't there, and it's VERY painful to someone versed in the lore to see them gloss over so many important story bits of the larger mythology because of copyright reasons (like the entire thing with the silmaril and the rebellion of the Noldor). An unfortunate necessity of the arrangement, but a bitter taste nonetheless. I want to see where things are going, but I do not expect to be blown away by the story.

Oops. I guess all the petty whining was meaningless, and it's actually a pretty good show so far.

It's a small thing, but I like intro being sound waves forming patterns in sand, given the creation myth of this world.

Highlight for me for those episodes was Elrond and the Dwarves.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Oops. I guess all the petty whining was meaningless, and it's actually a pretty good show so far.

It's a small thing, but I like intro being sound waves forming patterns in sand, given the creation myth of this world.

Highlight for me for those episodes was Elrond and the Dwarves.
    Petty hating for no reason was.... For no reason? Who knew