10+ Year Old Account
    Galadriel behaves the same way a lot of highly accomplished but singular focused people behave except even moreso because instead of being obsessed with her field for 40 years, she has been doing it for hundreds. Can't tell you how many doctors, academics I met who have similar traits. They are blind to anything but their expertise so they lack normal interpersonal skills you'd expect from someone. I see elves like that anyway to varying degrees until you get to the trilogy when the elves that are left are a bit warmer to humanity.

Not someone I would like URL but fits in a story, if that makes sense. I can appreciate the character for what it is and we know there will be growth, anyway.

Meteor guy is probably a wizard.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Didn't hate it and didn't love it. Will continue to watch to see where it eventually lands for me. It's leaning a bit positive so far but I'm not a book nazi or costume critic either. If I were I probably would be leaning slightly negative. End of the day I'm just looking for something decently entertaining to watch and so far it's on that path. But we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Unfortunately, this show just butchers so much of the lore that it is hard to consider it a part of Tolkien or related to Lord of the Rings.
    This goes beyond cosmetic differences and other superficial changes.
    This series isn't going to be based on any actual book material, it's just using characters and locations to build a setting for a new story that they're telling. Best not to think of the books at all if you have any interest in this series.

That being said, this series does give me Hobbit new character vibes. It feels like if they took Radaghast, Tauriel and all the characters and sideplots that weren't in the original book and made it into a full-blown series, this is what we'd get.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-02 at 04:35 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    This sort of thing is called a character arc. There has to be somewhere to go, some lesson to be learned to get to the Third Age Galadriel.
    It's still a shitty way of presenting someone who is supposed to be a leader. You can be a leader without being a massive bitch, but I think that sort of writing is beyond a lot of modern Hollywood writers these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's still a shitty way of presenting someone who is supposed to be a leader. You can be a leader without being a massive bitch, but I think that sort of writing is beyond a lot of modern Hollywood writers these days.
    How is she a "massive bitch" please?

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    This series isn't going to be based on any actual book material, it's just using characters and locations to build a setting for a new story that they're telling. Best not to think of the books at all if you have any interest in this series.

That being said, this series does give me Hobbit new character vibes. It feels like if they took Radaghast, Tauriel and all the characters and sideplots that weren't in the original book and made it into a full-blown series, this is what we'd get.
    I just see it as a different story with different characters even if they have the same names.
    They are telling the story they wanted to tell in Tolkiens world and that is basically what they have been saying.
    I don't see this as a lack of source material issue. And even if they did have it they still probably would change it.
    It is what it is, but the lore that I posted is well documented and not lost, obscure or unkown.
    They could have followed it if they wanted and they just didn't want to. Its their right and thats just how it goes.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    This would be missing the whole point of some one obsessed to the point of danger with there quest.

The whole point is that they get more and more reckless ignoring good advice due to there obsession until it comes to a head and there recklessness gets them in trouble.

In a lot of story’s you get a John snow esc mutiny or the leader will get every one killed and be the sole survivor, in lotT case those two outcomes are less likely so they just ditch.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say that gives her room to grow and learn. It shows flaws, I know its not the Galadriel we know and love, but its a benchmark to have her grow to be that, her brother was killed and now she is overcome with an obsession with vengeance. which is understandable, alot of movies rely on that drive, so they can adapt, learn and change, if they don't adapt and change then I think the show will have a problem.

I did kind of get Arthas vibes from Galadriel at the start. leading them to the frozen north, wanting to abandon her men, an ogre... if she burned the ships and burned down a city we'd be set lol.

Now I come to think of it, even the meteor man is just Tyreals origiin.... did the writers play alot of Blizzard games? Probably not the best inspiration lol.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-09-02 at 04:54 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Big LoTR movie fans, and read the trilogy back in the day before the movies came out, and loved it.

My kids are 12 and 14, and we just watched the 4.5 hour extended edition of Return of the King last month, and my kids were glued to it, wide eyed and loved all 4+ hours of it. Not sleepy or wanting to go on their phones at all, they really liked Return of the King a lot.

We watched the first episode late last night before bedtime, and both my kids were asleep on the couch about 40 minutes into it, and my Wife she's a casual fantasy fan, she liked the LoTR movies, and watching the first episode with us, she got up and left to change for bed about 30 minutes into it.

Myself? I think I was forcing myself to like it, not be critical, but in reality I was getting pretty bored a half hour into it. Didn't hate it or anything, no, but wasn't crazy happy with it either, was kind of a big "meh". But I will say visually and the cinematography and look and style was beautiful it did look so pretty on my OLED TV, so that part I really liked.

We will watch episode 2 tonight, but so far episode 1 I'd give a 6.5/7 out of 10, ok to good so far, not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I did kind of get Arthas vibes from Galadriel at the start. leading them to the frozen north, wanting to abandon her men, an ogre... if she burned the ships and burned down a city we'd be set lol.

Now I come to think of it, even the meteor man is just Tyreals origiin.... did the writers play alot of Blizzard games? Probably not the best inspiration lol.
    It's got total Warcraft vibes. I felt like I was watching a different Live Action Warcraft series more than a LOTR series, to be honest.

Well for me the book story-line was pretty much the only appeal of the whole thing, watched the first episode and not going to continue watching. Not interested in too much fan fiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's got total Warcraft vibes. I felt like I was watching a different Live Action Warcraft series more than a LOTR series, to be honest.
    So... we have come full circle it seems, given that a lot of Warcraft has been inspired by Tolkien's work. lol.

I am just saying if we get a warband of good orcs who abandon their evil ways, we are ready to go. Them orcs be misunderstood lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Whoever the homeless meteor guy is I don't want to find out. Even if he disappears into thin air and isn't mentioned again it would still be better for the series
    "In real life, unlike in Shakespeare, the sweetness of the rose depends upon the name it bears. Things are not only what they are. They are, in very important respects, what they seem to be"

End of quote. Repeat the line.

Watched the first episode, initial thoughts:

As an adaptation of Tolkien 1/10.

That is pretty boring so let us pretend it is just some Fantasy show, in that case: be warned spoilers do follow in details

First of all starting with the bullying of Galadriel is pretty eye roll, like really? The trees of Valinor looked good, still sad we never saw Ungoliant eat them. The helmet stack was unironically funny. They made Galadriel into a Karen, which I never expected. Also guess we can rename Elves into lore/information dumpers, geeze.The sword-fu was pretty bad visually, like oof the trailer wasn't just a bad first pass. The hobbits (sorry Harfoots, fucking idiot producers) did nothing for me, the shit in their hair was really distracting. Elrond being mistreated (not a lord) felt old considering in lore he was the hand of Gil-Galad the king, but whatever. Also hearing the word politician, UGH that one really bothered me, especially aimed at Elrond who was a leader and a warrior. The back and forth between Harfoots and the Elves was disjointing. Also seriously, expected Karen, I mean Galadriel to start bitching for a manager at some point. Also the whole conversation with Elrond about Valinor ugh, 1. she came to middle-earth to find a realm to lead 2. Gil-Galad wasn't the one to give people the right to travel to Valinor, that belong to the Valar... as Elves that partook in the kin slaying were exiled. The first scene with the southern men was bad, the dialogue felt so forced and badly paced/cut. Adding a new elf/human pairing when throughout the entirety of Tolkien's work there was only 3 annoyed me. The elves all at attention on the boat to Valinor, it looked sooo damn tacky lol. Ugh the line about not knowing till we touch the darkness, felt anti-Tolkien. Then Galadriel at the gates of Valinor, some hundreds of leagues from land jumping into the water, fucking eye roll.

So thoughts overall on the big ticket items though episode 1?

Music: LoTR had iconic music that fused with the scenes to present something greater. The music hear isn't bad, but is lacking something, I think it might be because the scenes aren't as good so it can't elevate them leaving the music feeling out of place. It is a bit in my opinion like having a hype man for a snail race.

7/10, if the show had better dialogue/acting/post production work it could have been higher.

Acting: None truly unforgivable, but it wasn't particularly strong either, this is always hard to measure for me because unless an actor is/pulls off an amazing performance it is largely up to the dialogue/plot and those both did not help. Some of the pronunciations were a bit rough but again can't tell if that was what they were told so. Overall no one impressed, a few were pretty bland, and nothing in the show helped elevate this. Morfydd Clark as Galadriel was particularly bad for me, but again not sure if that is her or the script she was given.

4/10

Visuals: The costumes weren't that inspiring sadly, felt a beat down from the OG trilogy, and some of them were at least in my opinion quite bad (really dislike what they did to the hobbits/crap filled hair). Some of the green screen/backgrounds worked/looked really good, others did not. Not a Rings of Power problem, but a modern media/movie/show problem, where they just fucking abuse the shit of VFX/green screen. Also damn do those elf ears look bad, felt more like bat ears on a human than elf ears on an elf.

6/10

The dialogue: This was pretty bad, like prequel SW bad. A lot of awkward lines that didn't feel Tolkien in the least, probably the weakest part of the show to me. The trailers once again show cased the quality that was throughout the show and it was a disappointment. It felt more like people reading lines for a movie/show than natural conversations people would have.

2/10

Overall 5/10. For the most expensive show ever produced, I didn't feel it so far, and the quality overall isn't anything special. Honestly if this wasn't related to Tolkien I still wouldn't have felt impressed or though it amazing, just okay. I'll get to episode 2 tomorrow because I heard the Dwarfs are really good, and I hope so, cause with the current quality I don't see myself making it past episode 3.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-09-02 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

As much as I'd like to at least check out an episode or two because of my life-long adoration of Tolkien's work (The Hobbit was literally the first novel I ever read as a kid), the trailers and whatnot have not managed to interest my wife, who loves fantasy and the LotR movies, in the slightest. They actually pushed her away from wanting to watch it at all and I have little interest in watching anything without her, it's always much more fun to watch things together.

So, I'll be giving this a complete pass, regardless of any other issues with the show. From what I'm reading, it doesn't sound like I'll be missing much.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    As much as I'd like to at least check out an episode or two because of my life-long adoration of Tolkien's work (The Hobbit was literally the first novel I ever read as a kid), the trailers and whatnot have not managed to interest my wife, who loves fantasy and the LotR movies, in the slightest. They actually pushed her away from wanting to watch it at all and I have little interest in watching anything without her, it's always much more fun to watch things together.

So, I'll be giving this a complete pass, regardless of any other issues with the show. From what I'm reading, it doesn't sound like I'll be missing much.
    The trailers suck and aren't very indicative of the series. I'd say you'd have to go both episodes to get a good gauge of it. The first episode is quite slow and doesn't have strong hooks, it feels more like a prologue with the second episode feeling more like what a first episode should be.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've only seen the first episode but on first impression I would say: Loved it. Visuals are stunning, the actors are really great (Even though I've never seen/heard of 90% of them) I felt it started off a little, I dunno, cheesy? I'd say the W word but that's probably not allowed. But as it went on and we were introduced to more characters and scenes it really started to feel more and more like LOTR.

Looking forward to watching the next episodes!

just watched first 2 eps. loved it. cant wait for the rest.

I just watched the first two episodes.

I didn't like it. I know most people have not read Tolkien, not even after the movie hits. I can see the quality in most things money can buy so I can understand people liking this.

To me, LOTR is very special and ironically that is what stops from enjoying this series. As an adaptation of Tolkien is terrible, really terrible. I don't care about skin colours as that is only minor cosmetic deviations but this feels like a generic fantasy world, they mangled so many things about the lore, details, characters....I cannot think about anything while watching and thus there is no enjoyment.

It didn't bring me to Middle Earth, and that was the only thing I wanted from it.
    Vae Victis... woe to the conquered!

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched both episodes and I'm fully bought in. Visually it's stunning, I know some of that has to be green screen, some of the sets are too impossible to do, and yet I cannot percieve where the CGI begins.

The world building is excellent, very solid "show, don't tell" storytelling, and although you can see the various intertwining plot threads and have some idea based on the books and Tolkein's notes, I still cannot see where it all leads to exactly.

The most I've been hooked on an Amazon series since The Man in the High Castle. I look forward to next week.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.