Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    It's not a bad show, but it's not Tolkien. They took names and places familiar to people from the movies and made their own story.

They probably would have been better served not calling this Tolkien and making their own property, but I doubt they would have gotten the funding without the name recognition.
    I think this is mostly how I feel.

Its okay generic fantasy, but it just feels kind of bland. We sort of feel like we're shoved partway into a plot with Galadriel, and everyone else is just on random side quests. Even game of thrones had a single starting event which everything spiraled out from, this just has things that are happening.

The Elves look particularly underwhelming. Their hair all looks way too normal. Though I do like how they delve more into their unique viewpoint and nature in a way the other films never got in to.

I feel like parts of the show expect you to have book knowledge to understand whats going on though, which is weird due to how much it also deviates. I feel like we'd have been better off either focused on a harfoot, human, or like Galadrial's child she's supposed to have, to ease us into the setting.
    Last edited by Myradin; 2022-09-03 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It supports the argument that idiots constantly shitting on a show are rarely representative of the general audience, and my assertion that 10s are always leading on that website.
    Right, but the point was that idiots equally support a show with 10/10s, and you bring up an example of this exact thing happening to other shows. WoT is definitely not a good example of a show that should be leading with 10/10s, especially if you take a look at user ratings on other aggregates.

Either way, the 'idiotic' extremes are problematic. What's being pointed out is the bias in only purging the negative reviews, while not addressing them equally on both ends.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-03 at 04:19 AM.

I don't think people equally support it with false 10s. Positivity isn't a driving force to fake review from audience critics. What drives people to bombard something, to actually organize it, is negativity. People who don't actually think it's good but want to prop it up are few and far between - no one goes out of their way to blow smoke up the ass of someone unless they're really blind-faith type of fans. In other words, 10/10s tend have a higher proportion of good faith to bad faith than 1/10s.

It's why Twitter isn't a reflection of real life.

It's why YouTube comments aren't a reflection of how people feel about a video generally.

Usually the negative stuff outweighs the "false" positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    What's being pointed out is the bias in only purging the negative reviews, while not addressing them equally on both ends.
    Yes, and the premise of those bringing this up as if it matters is flawed to start with. People don't brigade these systems with 10s...unless the contention is that literally every movie or show on the site is being positively brigaded with 10s. Good luck with that.

Either way, this argument is pointless. I've already said multiple times that I think voting 1s and 10s are both stupid. About as stupid as relying on the number on a website (that you already believe is susceptible to manipulation) to be the determining factor of either the quality of the production, or whether or not you're going to watch it.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-09-03 at 04:39 AM.

I don’t support the claim it’s organized.

Let’s talk real why the downvotes really happen

1. Tolkien freaks, ultra fans,
    2. Forced Woke

It’s something people dont want, simple as that.

While i think the Tolkien Ultras are a minority, i believe much negative aura is from this whole woke phenomena

Quote Originally Posted by Universalgirl View Post
    While i think the Tolkien Ultras are a minority, i believe much negative aura is from this whole woke phenomena
    These aren't legitimate criticisms. It's culture war nonsense which comes from outside the media into it. The 1s are bringing outside grievances to the media itself. Actual art criticism is about how media affects culture, not how culture wants to constrict and confine media.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    These aren't legitimate criticisms. It's culture war nonsense which comes from outside the media into it. The 1s are bringing outside grievances to the media itself. Actual art criticism is about how media affects culture, not how culture wants to constrict and confine media.
    Amazon has a agenda, a ideology. And people push back. That’s the result.

And it must be HUGE.
    Last edited by Universalgirl; 2022-09-03 at 05:04 AM.

Amazon is a company whose only ideology is money.

If they were truly "woke" they wouldn't be trying to bust burgeoning unions in their warehouses like they have been for a year.

Your perception of the agenda, like I said, is culture war bullshit nonsense.

Edit: Also, I couldn't find this on comicbook.com, I wonder if you or some other bad-faith person made it up. Could you provide a link?

Oh wait: I found it. It's an article that is supporting Amazon's decision.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-09-03 at 05:10 AM.

Yes, you are correct. The "negative aura" around this production is due almost entirely to bigots who can't stand the idea of black people playing fantasy characters. Now that the show is actually out, and people will see that it doesn't matter in the slightest, I imagine their pathetic "criticism" will fade rather quickly. Especially when they find a new target for their ridiculous anti-"woke" crusade.

I don’t support the claim it’s organized.

Let’s talk real why the downvotes really happen

1. Tolkien freaks, ultra fans,
    2. Forced Woke

And yet morning about this show is "woke" other than people reacting to one or two actors skin color.

Nothing in this show highlights "we stronk cuz we dark and still fight". Literally nothing is woke in this series.

And still they cry as if it was their mission in life.

Sad little.men.

If they were truly "woke" they wouldn't be trying to bust burgeoning unions in their warehouses like they have been for a year.

Edit: Also, I couldn't find this on comicbook.com, I wonder if you or some other bad-faith person made it up. Could you provide a link?

Oh wait: I found it. It's an article that is supporting Amazon's decision.
    I mean you can go to amazon and see that there are no reviews so, *shrug* that part is true. Also lets not pretend that a fair amount of those 1s would have still been low 3/4 out 10 ratings if there wasn't fighting going on, people bend but rarely break on such things like this (aka going from a 7-8 to a 1). Like I said as an adaptation it is a 1/10 but as a fantasy story right now it is a 5/10 for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Maybe it’s human nature? Culture War seems natural.

When we look back at our past, and present it allways mattered.

It allways was culture (nation) against another culture (nation).

Allways conflicts.

Maybe we are not completely compatible.

In Zoo you also dont cage Lions with Monkeys, or Tigers with Elephants.

It just doesn’t work.

I dont know man, all i can think is that’s a failed attempt of humanity to force unity.

But besides the culture war.

Rings of Power seems to be trapped in a small Tolkien Box where you can’t barely move up or down, right or left.

That's not the same thing as what's happening when something is review bombed. It's not just about "I don't like this", it's "I don't like this, and I don't want other people to like this, either". VERY different thing.

Not to mention that - as people have already pointed out - neither "Tolkien freak" nor "forced woke" are particularly good reasons to criticize something with.

Returning to the show itself... I've watched episode 2, and unlike many people I did not find it a particularly compelling piece, or a step up from the previous one. The dwarf parts were pretty good, though. I dislike the Scottish stereotype that somehow entered into common consciousness when it comes to dwarves, but I found both the visuals and the narrative surrounding them interesting and properly executed. With the possible exception of the "secret", which if it turns out to be a silmaril is going to wreak absolute havoc on the larger framework; but it might well not be (though it's heavily implied). I was surprised they even mentioned Fëanor and the silmaril at all, given how they skirted around the Silmarillion no-go zone in Ep 1.

The whole man-from-the-sky thing just feels really forced to me. I guess we'll have to see who it turns out to be (though everyone expects Gandalf at this point) but it feels kind of out of place. The ocean parts are just... so bad. They add nothing to Galadriel's story or character, and it entirely feels like a forced encounter created for the sole purpose of bringing her to Númenor. Which they could just as easily have done by having her rescued by one of their ships right away, without spending an entire episode wet and shivering and being ogled by a rugged swashbuckler. In fact that would have made total sense, because Númenor was canonically known to frequently explore the sea to the West, ever envious of Valinor and the lands of Aman.

I'll keep watching, though. WoT this is not. The quality is on a different level, despite its issues. Plus I want to see more of the dwarves. Heck make an entire show about THEM, please. Fuck the elves and humans and ESPECIALLY the hobbitses.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yes, you are correct. The "negative aura" around this production is due almost entirely to bigots who can't stand the idea of black people playing fantasy characters. Now that the show is actually out, and people will see that it doesn't matter in the slightest, I imagine their pathetic "criticism" will fade rather quickly. Especially when they find a new target for their ridiculous anti-"woke" crusade.
    Good lord is must be hard to maintain this level of delusion on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Good lord is must be hard to maintain this level of delusion on a daily basis.
    Did you read the reviews that were removed? Almost all of them were racist bullshit and hated on skin color. How is he delusional?

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Did you read the reviews that were removed? Almost all of them were racist bullshit and hated on skin color. How is he delusional?
    All reviews under 6 where racist?

And we currently have 4 user reviews on episode 2.

Seems super realistic
    Last edited by Universalgirl; 2022-09-03 at 05:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I reading someone rallying against alleged censorship of reviews when there's evidence of frivolous reviews? If you want to argue for the sanctify of review aggregators they you should also be for them taking steps against bad faith reviews both positive and negative.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Review bombers aren't voting 3-4-5... they are voting 1, maybe 2 if they want to be sneaky.
    There's no reason to purge 5 and below... well, except you know. Manipulation of numbers.

Anyone paying attention to any of the media hysteria around this show knows there would be a lot of 1's from haters, but you also knew there would be lots of 10's from defenders.

Then again, review numbers are just straight up useless because of the disingenuous voters on each side as well as the disingenuous manipulation. So...shrug..
    Mostly just fun to see the fallout on how people behave to justify why their numbers are wrong or correct.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I think it’s important to realize that about 99% of people watching this show do not discuss it on a forum, nor vote on review sites. There is a selection bias for both that favours the biggest fans and haters.

This means that both 1’s and 10’s on review sites do make sense, though they are both quite ridiculous. It just means review sites do not display the real population.

That’s all what matters these days