Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I'm starting to think each of the perspectives has its own continuity as opposed to each of them progressing along side of each other, at least thats how I've been able to make sense of it.

Like the Elrond perspective is progressing much faster than say, the Halbrand/Galadriel perspective though if thats the case I wonder at what point they'll merge?
    I would have preferred them to make use of cuts and pacing to imply time passage if that's the case. Like if the Harfoots got a time skip by next episode, I'd be perfectly fine since we didn't see them now. But I feel like Galadriel's arc in Numenor should have been contained and resolved before they jump back to Elrond and show the progress of the Tower. Their arcs are tied together because we know when Galadriel and Elrond meet each other, and the passage of time between the two should be relative. The way it is right now, it's so jarring to me that we have timelapses being cross-cut between each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Yeah, maybe read more than a quarter of my posts instead of selectively quoting tangential points you're more comfortable engaging with and then I will write a response to your argument (even though I basically already adressed most of it which you would know if you read my posts). You also refused to answer even a single question I posed to you (both in the last post and the one before that) so it is pretty obvious that you're not willing to seriously engage with the argument.

Hardly an excuse. House of the Dragon looks much better, has better dialogue, superior acting (and actors), costumes etc. while costing a fraction of Rings of Power.
    U sr nailed it with the house Of dragons ref

*yawn* at least there's dwarves. pansy elves and humans are boring.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Not only do I have questions of the timeline, I have questions on the passing of time.

There's an assumption that chunks of time are being passed, but it's all inconsistent. Galadriel and Halbrand's story is supposed to be in Numenor for a matter of 2-3 days per Halbrand's request, and that makes sense. They'd be a few days lost at sea, with a quick rescue, and a swift travel to Numenor where they've been at for less-than-a-week's time. And that's where the story is so far with them.

But then we see Elrond's story with huge progress on the Tower. And now that old strange dude talking to Theo implies it's been weeks since the Meteor was seen. So how exactly is time progressing here? Just trying to make sense of it, because I was under the assumption that all the arcs were following a similar progression of time, and I'm not sure it's meant to be condensed in some areas and spread out in others.
    The timeline is compressed. Not even speculation, its known.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The timeline is compressed. Not even speculation, its known.
    Yeah, and that wasn't one of the questions about the timeline that I have. Like you said, it's known.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yeah, and that wasn't one of the questions about the timeline that I have. Like you said, it's known.
    I should have explained what I meant a bit.

It seems like they are using something like a logarithmic scale, which is a form of compression.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Like the Elrond perspective is progressing much faster than say, the Halbrand/Galadriel perspective though if thats the case I wonder at what point they'll merge?
    I'm not sure that it is. We know that Elrond was introduced to the project sometime after Galadriel was "sent off". When the common element, the falling meteor, is show we see him with Celebrimbor but not much context of their location is given. So being introduced to the tower and the dwarves could have already happened prior to the meteor as a sort of flash back. Or the dwarves might just be capable builders as doesn't the show mention 19 work crews? If they work around the clock a tower base that is shown might be feasible or Elrond got brought in after the tower was already started.

All the view points seem to share the same general time period. The common element of the meteor falling seems to be the point where time skips no longer happen in the story. Give or take based on how much time is shown for each viewpoint as some would span more time then others.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I'm starting to think each of the perspectives has its own continuity as opposed to each of them progressing along side of each other, at least thats how I've been able to make sense of it.

I wouldn't call them separate continuities, but there definitely seems to be a larger passage of time in Elrond's story. I'm guessing it just means that they won't merge again until much later in the story. Which makes sense, given that so far there's been no connection between what he's doing and the crisis happening in the Southlands. I fully expect Meteor Man to lead his new hobbit friends down south at some point, looking for those stars.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    All the view points seem to share the same general time period. The common element of the meteor falling seems to be the point where time skips no longer happen in the story. Give or take based on how much time is shown for each viewpoint as some would span more time then others.
    My biggest question circles around how Galadriel's arc fits into that, since the Elrond arc seems to follow the same 'it's been weeks since the meteor' time progression of the Southlands. What's throwing me for a loop is the "give us 2-3 days" condition that Halbrand and the Queen agreed to, and how long they're actually in Numenor for.

The biggest problem with the show is that it has too many stories going on at once. And they keep expanding them without giving them a chance to breathe. It's trying to follow what Game of Thrones did, but you need interesting characters to make that work, which this one does not.

We have 5 stories going on, just 3 to many. The show also needs more clear antagonists - there's no stakes or menace to the orcs this time around. LotR was greaet when it showcased the industrial might of Saruman against the natural wonder of Fangorn, the menacing music and panning camera angles, while ripping orcs out of the ground and branding them. There's just nothing like that in this.
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2022-09-17 at 02:26 AM.

This is a very fair criticism of the show. As he says, regardless of all the political angles or unsatisfying plot, it's just the writing itself that is poorly done and limits this show. It won't be remembered well, despite the vociferous defense by those who are ideologically inclined to defend it at all costs. And the ideological complaints won't really matter much over time, either. It's just a poorly written show because the writers did not care about the story.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    This is a very fair criticism of the show. As he says, regardless of all the political angles or unsatisfying plot, it's just the writing itself that is poorly done and limits this show. It won't be remembered well, despite the vociferous defense by those who are ideologically inclined to defend it at all costs. And the ideological complaints won't really matter much over time, either. It's just a poorly written show because the writers did not care about the story.

Agree with many of the points made in the video. And people wondered why we 'get upset over one snow troll scene'. It's really a symptom of a much bigger problem that the defenders of the show just don't want to recognize.

In the latest episode, I've mostly been confused by Arondir's arc (not the character himself). If Adar--seemingly the leader of the Orcs in the Southlands--let Arondir go to deliver a message, then why are the Orcs chasing him? Their leader released him...

10+ Year Old Account
    They weren't chasing him...

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    In the latest episode, I've mostly been confused by Arondir's arc (not the character himself). If Adar--seemingly the leader of the Orcs in the Southlands--let Arondir go to deliver a message, then why are the Orcs chasing him? Their leader released him...
    They made it pretty clear that they thought getting the kid was extremely important. Whether that's because that orc actually recognized the significance of the (presumably) Morgul blade, or just because they wanted something good to eat...it doesn't mean that they'd stop chasing him just because Arondir showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post

Because they aren't the same orcs that are at the trench? It's very clear that Arondir is in a different place than the woman and her son. Those orcs are orcs that are most likely scouting for more slaves/supplies, and not the ones that we saw helping oversee the trench. So while they are part of the same warband, they aren't there to see Adar send Arondir off with a message. At least, that is how I interpreted it with the cuts to different locales. It's also shown that those orcs really want the hilt that the kid has and are chasing the kid, who is then saved by Arondir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

The show keeps delivering amazing visuals that get ruined as soon as someone talks.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

7+ Year Old Account

Its already know the showrunners don't give a crap about the writing, the acting, the logic or the narrative, so its not far from reality to believe they simple don't give a crap about continuity as well.

Still trying to figure out where those other Silvan elves are, now that the ones who were watching the town got captured. Surely the rest of the Silvan realm would be aware of this by now and be sending reinforcements.......

But of course that awesome writing has set it up where the Silvan Elves are under the control of Linden, with Gil Galad telling them to abandon the watch. And conveniently it is just at this time that they get captured, implying this would be the reason nobody would notice the arrival of Orcs and the destruction of villages and Elven outposts. Not only is it so obviously an example of the writers pen, but also breaks even more of the lore in the process. The Silvan realm was always on the other side of the Misty Mountains, home to Khazad Dhum. They were never directly under the Noldor of Linden because they never went to Valinor in the first place. So if anything, they would not be under Noldor command and they would return to the Woodland realm not Linden. But beyond that, how is it that no traveler, trader or other people would notice that these villages are now destroyed and the populations missing. All to drag out another set of mysteries that really aren't mysteries and slow down the story even more instead of just getting on with it.
    Last edited by InfiniteCharger; 2022-09-17 at 01:21 PM.