Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I've shown to you many times where he did involve himself while alive. I'm not sure why you are still inventing reasons after all this time. Why keep asking questions and discussing if you just want to invent an argument?
    Reading the Boorman script didn't mean he was involving himself in its production. At that time he already sold the rights and wouldn't have been any position to change it regardless.

Like, what exactly are you trying to prove? Do you actually think JRR Tolkien would have directly supported Rings of Power the same way Simon Tolkien has? Cuz I flat out disagree if so. JRR Tolkien was much more conservative with his work, while Simon is much more liberal with the handling of the franchise.

We know that isn't true as I early pointed out. Because even an adaptation that he didn't like the script to was not killed by him because he liked the pictorial aspect. He also stated when talking about that same adaptation that it is the core or heart that needs to adhered to and not "no changes". He even apologized for coming across as overly harsh in response to some changes made.
    We know that the appendices were not a complete story and only included to provide some backstory and he had not published his notes or unfinished works like the Silmarillion before he died. Therefore, it is not true that he intended for the appendices, by themselves, to be used as the basis for some rights to be given to a studio to make a story of the second age. Christopher Tolkien only published those basically to fill out the information on the second and first ages based on what his father had started. The fact that he never published them before he died means that they weren't ready for public consumption and that included any kind of film or television treatment. Of course he wanted his story for the age of trees, first age and second age to be the definitive version of events and not events made up by third parties. If anything he would have wanted a proper story based on the entire legendarium to be the story of the 2nd age. And if he was alive I would assume he would have finished that story and those rights would be the only rights given for any kind of adaptation, not just the appendices.
    Last edited by InfiniteCharger; 2022-10-01 at 06:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Reading the Boorman script didn't mean he was involving himself in its production. At that time he already sold the rights and wouldn't have been any position to change it regardless.
    So we are backing to him having to be alive rather then at all. It is strange how you keep moving the goal posts depending on what response you need to disqualify at the time. You were using the context of your entire argument and not just "since he sold the rights". He may have been conservative with his work but he wasn't against adaptations as he worked several times to do just that. He was even working with UA to produce something before UA bought the rights. So the idea that he wouldn't be involved is silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Therefore, it is not true that he intended for the appendices, by themselves, to be used as the basis for some rights to be given to a studio to make a story of the second age.
    He sold the rights to his work which means it doesn't matter if stuff was finished or not. His intent was to give away the rights. We even know that he wanted to rewrite his books several times so nothing was ever "finished" in his eyes. So it is silly to think that he would hold some work differently then others just because it wasn't a book or published. He didn't hold published as some special status.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

So we are backing to him having to be alive rather then at all. It is strange how you keep moving the goal posts depending on what response you need to disqualify at the time.
    Nope, I was always clear about the context of my response. You weren't, which meant I had to keep clarifying because I hadn't realized you weren't even replying within the context to begin with.

I mean what are you really arguing about? Do you think Tolkien would write a screenplay for Rings of Power? No, you don't. Neither do I. We're on the same page, so whatever you think needs yo be argued further is pointless, because I'm not making claims beyond anything you're arguing.

Did I say he was against other people adapting Rings of Power? No, I did not. I was clear from the beginning to refute the idea that he would involve himself in writing the screenplay for it. And we're both clear that he never did this for any adaptation in his lifetime to begin with.

Again, you are arguing points I never made. You just can't fucking read what I've been telling you.

He was even working with UA to produce something before UA bought the rights. So the idea that he wouldn't be involved is silly.
    Yes and after the experiences he deemed the film to be unfilmable in live action, which is why he eventually sold all rights altogether (with money also being a motivating factor)

The context had ALWAYS been if he were alive today, and that's how I framed my responses tp the other poster. And I told you straight up you were taking my responses out of context to imply Tolkien would be supportive of adaptations because he did so at one point in his life, which was never my argument. I never implied that it didn't happen, I talked about speculation of how Tolkien would act if he were alive today.

Again, what are you arguing here? Comments you took out of context that were never aimed at you in the first place.

Stop trolling, dude.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-01 at 07:17 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    He definitely would hold some woks differently, especially if it was garbage work or something done with just appendix filled with fanfiction, why? because Tolkien is not a dumbass.

This guy, grasping at straws for what, literally arguing for the sake of argue

15+ Year Old Account
    Did I say he was against other people adapting Rings of Power? No, I did not. I was clear from the beginning to refute the idea that he would involve himself in writing the screenplay for it. And we're both clear that he never did this for any adaptation in his lifetime to begin with.
    To clarify, he wouldn't have supported an adaptation that was wildly different from his own work.
    So which is it? You did or didn't say something you clearly said. You've had no argument based on fact from the begining and have kept moving the goal post to in a revisionist attempt to remain correct. I've countered it at every turn which is why you've now turned to insulting me rather then providing something to counter.

Yes and after the experiences he deemed the film to be unfilmable in live action, which is why he eventually sold all rights altogether (with money also being a motivating factor)
    He was working with UA which clearly meant he felt it could be adapted in some fashion. The deal fell through like the other before it and UA decided to buy the rights rather then let another company try. If he were alive today you wouldn't know how he would act because you are not him. Nothing has given a definitive answer either way on what he would do. I've taken nothing out of context but to say that you have no idea what he would do and provided evidence to counter the things you said would indicate what he would do.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    He definitely would hold some woks differently, especially if it was garbage work or something done with just appendix filled with fanfiction, why? because Tolkien is not a dumbass.

This guy, grasping at straws for what, literally arguing for the sake of argue
    Tolkiens work itself has tons of flaws to poor writing and bad stories and plot holes, your clearly being ignorant and holding tolkiens work to a standard that is not possible to attain, his work was average at best, the movies are what actually made the series popular and not the actual books themselves.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

So which is it? You did or didn't say something you clearly said. You've had no argument based on fact from the begining and have kept moving the goal post to in a revisionist attempt to remain correct. I've countered it at every turn which is why you've now turned to insulting me rather then providing something to counter.
    By support I mean actively take part in working on such a project. I don't mean passive support like reading a screenplay and saying 'Nice'. Remember, the context is about whether Tolkien would involve himself in writing Amazon's Rings of Power story that would be adaptable to film, and I am clear to say he would have had no interest in doing so after he sold the rights. The Appendices were published post-humously as well.

You're still digging up things to argue that are pointless to argue. You didn't understand the context, therefore you assumed 'not support' meant 'actively opposed any adaptations'. I clarified this already, so you're digging old quotes out of context that you remain adamantly ignorant to any clarifications I made just to perpetuate an argument.

He was working with UA which clearly meant he felt it could be adapted in some fashion. The deal fell through like the other before it and UA decided to buy the rights rather then let another company try. If he were alive today you wouldn't know how he would act because you are not him. Nothing has given a definitive answer either way on what he would do. I've taken nothing out of context but to say that you have no idea what he would do and provided evidence to counter the things you said would indicate what he would do.
    It's through his experiences here that he ended up concluding that LOTR was unfilmable in live action, and chose not to take part in any future productions. I have no intention making any statements on whether he felt it was adaptable by other people, only that he wouldn't have taken any active role in supporting it like writing a Rings of Power screenplay, which had been the context of the discussion. I mean by the fact he sold the rights shows that he would be aware other adaptations would be made, and whether he liked them or not wouldn't matter since he sold the rights and would have no direct control over any of the matter.

That you are taking it out of context is just you being ignorant and arguing for the sake of arguing.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-01 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Tolkiens work itself has tons of flaws to poor writing and bad stories and plot holes, your clearly being ignorant and holding tolkiens work to a standard that is not possible to attain, his work was average at best, the movies are what actually made the series popular and not the actual books themselves.
    Well I suppose that's the kind of insanity to expect from someone who actually thinks star citizen is good.

10+ Year Old Account

I understand you are trying to defend the show, and thats cool I do agree its getting a lot of bad faith complaints but dude, lets not go crazy and start calling Tolkiens work flawed, average or just plain bad.

Tolkiens work was inspirational long before the movies came along, Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, George R R Martin, Raymond E. Feist, and many fantasy authors credit Tolkien as inspirations. The term "fantasy"has even become synonymous with the general aspects of Tolkien's work. Even stretching into games such as Warcraft and even Dungeons and Dragons. I mean sure you wanna argue his work has maybe aged in his writing style, thats true. But anyone who holds so much power and inspiration among fantasy in general isn't a bad or average author. The fantasy genre owes alot of thanks to Tolkein... and maybe to Mary Shelly too. Lord of the Rings is still considered by many people to be one of the greatest works of fantasy to date. Fantasy would never be where it is today without Tolkien. You know there are mountains such as Mount Shadowfax, Mount Gandalf and Mount Aragorn in Canada? What flawed bad or awful author has mountains or moons of planets named after them.

You act like Tolkien was Terry Goodkind or something lol. Are you sure you are not getting them confused? (fuck Terry Goodkind even ripped off parts of Tolkiens work):P
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-10-01 at 08:02 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Lol, you're full of it. It's estimated LOTR sold 100 million copies before the films were made.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's through his experiences here that he ended up concluding that LOTR was unfilmable in live action, and chose not to take part in any future productions.
    That isn't indicated by his own actions though. As he kept working on adaptations right up until a company locked up the rights rather then let another company try. Then afterwards he was corresponding about an adaptation. You can't say that he wouldn't take an active role in writing a script like Rings of Power because you are not him. What I've been saying from the start but you keep trying to come up with reasons why you can speak for him while not providing any proof that he never would.

I still haven't taken anything out of context. I've been responding to the arguments you've made as you made them. You haven't always included every restriction and stipulation that your revisionist view is trying to claim.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    It seems you are unable to read, the books sold 50 million in 2003, the films started in 2001 so most book sales are from how popular the films were, so dont talk BS now when it take 2 mins to look up some basic facts.

You do realize they use Tolkiens work to teach children in school. Not bad for someone who is bad at writing. He’s similar to Shakespeare in that way lol.

Also the only reason why the films were made (at that time the fantasy genre was a big no no in Hollywood) was due to the success of the books.

Get your head out the sand.

His ideas and world building are fantastic. He wasn’t great at writing the actions sequences though, I’ll give you that.

You can't say that he wouldn't take an active role in writing a script like Rings of Power because you are not him. What I've been saying from the start but you keep trying to come up with reasons why you can speak for him while not providing any proof that he never would.
    I can say and I will say, because that's the whole point of discussing 'If he were alive'.

And what more proof do you need than that he sold the rights and did not involve himself directly with later productions?

Even Boorman's adaptation was argued to be not in spirit of Tolkien's work, criticized by Ralph Bakshi and furthermore Boorman even admitted his version was not very good in retrospect after the PJ movies came out. His work was still instrumental in moving things forward, but by no means some definitive product that Tolkien was fully backing. He read the screenplay, and by that time he was already paid a hefty sum enough for him to be at ease with whatever film studios choose to do with his work.

Can you indicate that Tolkien involved himself in the project more than merely reading the screenplay at his own behest? No, you couldn't either. If your entire argument is 'no one knows either way' then you can't come at this in a way that is actually trying to prove anything right or wrong, lol. You're literally just shitposting and arguing for the sake of it.

All you can do is say no one knows either way and whether you agree or disagree with the potential speculation. Which is exactly the context of my reply to the other poster which you took at face value as a claim and objective statement of fact. Like I said, arguing for the sake of arguing.

If you wish to disagree, then make a statement of what you think would happen, and I'd be fine to agree or disagree. Cept you haven't made any statement at all. All you're doing is arguing the principle that no one should be able to speculate without proof. Well, then you're arguing fir the sake of it and choosing me to do so, when the original poster is just the same at fault for making this same assertion but I don't see you replying to them about it.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-01 at 08:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I understand you are trying to defend the show, and thats cool I do agree its getting a lot of bad faith complaints but dude, lets not go crazy and start calling Tolkiens work flawed, average or just plain bad.
    Flawed is acceptable because even Tolkien himself thought it was flawed and wanted to constantly revise things. The "flat earth" thing is the biggest example but he also was going to rewrite The Hobbit "to bring it into greater harmony with the mood, language, and geography of The Lord of the Rings.". Average is of course subject to taste but a part that stands out is a letter that referenced his "normal" sales. A figure of 100 books ordered was normal but in 1972 he was told of an order for 6,000. He might even have disliked that popularity. He really benefited from the counter-culture that might not have otherwise cemented his works as the classic we know today.

Accountancy' told me that the sales of The Hobbit were now rocketing up to hitherto unreached heights. Also a large single order for copies of The L.R. had just come in. When I did not show quite the gratified surprise expected I was gently told that a single order of 100 copies used to be pleasing (and still is for other books), but this one for The L.R. was for 6,000. -340 From a letter to Christopher Tolkien 11 July 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Well I suppose that's the kind of insanity to expect from someone who actually thinks star citizen is good.
    Its just simple facts im pointing out, plenty of flaws with the books themselves, so stop lying to yourself thinking they are better than they actually were, the films made the series popular, if you seriously think there were not plenty of flaws with the books then you are completely lying out your butt.

Star Citizen is good for anyone that like space games, anyone who enjoys space games and doesnt like star citizen is not one that can ever be trusted, the game is the best one of its type currently available even for an alpha so try again with your ignorant claims.

It seems you are unable to read, the books sold 50 million in 2003, the films started in 2001 so most book sales are from how popular the films were, so dont talk BS now when it take 2 mins to look up some basic facts.
    You mean this part from the article?

Brawn estimates that 150 million copies of “The Lord of the Rings” have been sold worldwide, 50 million of those since Jackson’s films were released from 2001, plus 50 million copies of other Tolkien works.

Kind of read that as 100 million before the movies were released, an extra 50 million after. Or am I reading that wrong?

Rings of Power but where the Rings at bros ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzers View Post
    You do realize they use Tolkiens work to teach children in school. Not bad for someone who is bad at writing. He’s similar to Shakespeare in that way lol.

Also the only reason why the films were made (at that time the fantasy genre was a big no no in Hollywood) was due to the success of the books.

Get your head out the sand.

His ideas and world building are fantastic. He wasn’t great at writing the actions sequences though, I’ll give you that.
    They teach all sorts of stuff in school and most of its pointless in the real world, it doesnt mean its actually good to be used for teaching purposes, im just pointing out the books themselves are full of flaws, that doesnt mean you cant still like them but you cant claim everything about them is perfect and then moan about other things when nothing is ever going to be perfect.