The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    That would mean that that fanbase has some level of organisation which is not the case, at least on this forum. Just people not agreeing with the casting choice and so on.
    You don’t need to be organized to be a fan base or an anti fanbase, hell I doubt you could one a single organized fanbase for any thing you will always have diverging opinions and interest even if people agree they like or dislike something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Or the trailers just didn’t look good? I went in with blind faith, similar to the halo series, and just hated ROP. It felt like a generic high fantasy series, nothing Tolkien about it except for the name.

Loved halo though, even with it being against the lore, and even with them, as you put it, “ casting outside of just white people” because apparently disliking something due to its poor acting and worse script makes you racist now.

Don’t we just love 2022!
    You can go through the thread it’s all still there with handy dates, people were causing a stink when the casting was announced and when just posters were revealed, before any trailers before any one saw any acting or knew any of the script.

The trailers did last to a stark increase but even before there were any trailers at all you had an anti fanbase growing with YouTubers pumping out hate videos based on jsut the cast/posters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I don't have a problem with the casting but I called it out for forced diversity all the same, and I still enjoy the show. Maybe you just don't recognize that different individuals have different opinions without being lumped into some 'anti' group.

Think of how ridiculous it would be to label anyone who actively likes the show and defends its creative decisions as being 'anti-Tolkien' for the sake of argument.
    Any one bemoaning Tolkiens works for pages on end with little to no knowledge of said work is absolutely anti Tolkien and there are even one or two people like that in this thread.

There is also a notable difference between some one being sceptical or having concerns about and people who hate watch just for the sake of complaining and who were bemoaning the show and how awful it would be before we saw any of about it beyond casting.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-10-04 at 04:34 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    There is also a notable difference between some one being sceptical or having concerns about and people who hate watch just for the sake of complaining and who were bemoaning the show and how awful it would be before we saw any of about it beyond casting.
    Guess that all depends on who you talk to, heh. Some people don't seem to regard a difference at all. Like Rhorle.

7+ Year Old Account
    Guess that all depends on who you talk to, heh. Some people don't seem to regard a difference at all. Like Rhorle.
    I can’t say I’ve read enough of Rhorle’s post to say if they fall into that category but there absolutely some people who compound actual hate watching with just any criticism.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

What I didn't understand last episode is how they got out of that watchtower or w/e it was to get to the village without anyone seeing them. Is there a secret tunnel or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    What I didn't understand last episode is how they got out of that watchtower or w/e it was to get to the village without anyone seeing them. Is there a secret tunnel or something?
    If they went out in the day then the Orcs may not have been able to scout them out. That's what I figure anyways.

The show doesn't do a great job of explaining things. It just does it and expects the fans to fill in the blanks however they please, much like how Numenoreans and Galadriel got there so fast. There's bunch of running theories that the show isn't following a sequential timeline and stuff was happening in Numenor days/weeks earlier than the Southlands, etc. Kinda hard to say though since they had that one episode with the meteor to tie together the Harfoot and Southlands plotline timing, but conveniently omitting Galadriel's POV since she wasn't around to see it.

If they went out in the day then the Orcs may not have been able to scout them out. That's what I figure anyways.

The show doesn't do a great job of explaining things. It just does it and expects the fans to fill in the blanks however they please, much like how Numenoreans and Galadriel got there so fast. There's bunch of running theories that the show isn't following a sequential timeline and stuff was happening in Numenor days/weeks earlier than the Southlands, etc. Kinda hard to say though since they had that one episode with the meteor to tie together the Harfoot and Southlands plotline timing, but conveniently omitting Galadriel's POV since she wasn't around to see it.
    They were still at the tower when night fell.
    They look up to the tower and then it cuts to the orcs already at the base of the mountain below the tower.

But I was confused by this as well and looking at it I thought the orc were on the other side of the mountain and the villages just went down on their side...
    But that can't be it since it's a reservoir on the other side of it and mountains around. And the water went through the village so by that account it has to be on the same side...

I jot it down to teleportation like so many other things. This "filling in the blanks" seems very common, too much in fact.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-10-04 at 05:38 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

15+ Year Old Account
    Kinda hard to say though since they had that one episode with the meteor to tie together the Harfoot and Southlands plotline timing, but conveniently omitting Galadriel's POV since she wasn't around to see it.
    In the trailer Amazon released for the meteor it is implied her eyes are tracking it it. 2 seconds in. However in the actual episode she "tracks" birds instead. Some have a theory that her brothers dagger was "modified" by Sauron and influencing her actions. Maybe it being touched by Valinor "did something". If the Meteor man is not a friendly Maiar/thing it could have summoned him.

I think it is clear the Meteor appeared at the same time she felt the call of the dagger though. As it streaking across the sky is interwoven with her. The impact even transitions to her jumping in the water with the impact sound still playing as she goes underwater. It is an odd choice if it isn't the same point in time. 0:53 to 0:58 if anyone wants to rewatch that portion of the 1st episode.

Trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ALOgprj1xg
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-10-04 at 05:45 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Any show that is set over vast distances wont have all stories running all at the same time, its just simple logic and common sense to accept that, there is only so much you can put into a tv show episode and you dont want to put in everyone travelling all the time or it will waste way too much time better spent on other things.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    They were still at the tower when night fell.
    They look up to the tower and then it cuts to the orcs already at the base of the mountain below the tower.

But I was confused by this as well and looking at it I thought the orc were on the other side of the mountain and the villages just went down on their side...
    But that can't be it since it's a reservoir on the other side of it and mountains around. And the water went through the village so by that account it has to be on the same side...

I jot it down to teleportation like so many other things. This "filling in the blanks" seems very common, too much in fact.
    Its fast travel, show runners are playing that 6-d chess with the modern adaptation comment, gotta get the gamers in for a piece of the action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

It's almost depressing to watch some LotR scenes now on youtube with big epic scale armies fighting each other, while now on TV we get 15 peasants defending against 50 orcs. Then a cavalry of 30 people comes in to save the day. I mean... where are all the people?

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    No. What I said was he didn't think any of his work as "finished" so published or unpublished shouldn't matter. And I said the rights to his unfinished work was either sold with UA or added at some point in the future. As Embracer has limited matching rights to other Tolkien work. I never said the SZC (Saul Zaentz not salzance) shopped the rights to a TV series. I said Warner Brothers and the Tolkien Estate (Christopher Tolkien) shopped the rights after the gambling digital app lawsuit.
    You are being dishonest and this is literally what you wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Right. That still doesn't mean he wouldn't have because he sold rights to his other works. Those rights also included "limited matching rights" if his other work was ever brought to screen. He was fine with his story being drastically changed because the rights didn't require X rules for adaptations. The only one making stuff up here is yourself because you are trying to definitively state what Tolkien would do. I have repeatedly say there is nothing to indicate either way what he would do. While you, and others, keep trying to state that he wouldn't have done something. Do you understand the difference?

He didn't intend the entire story to be a whole because he didn't have the entire story finished. Again he wanted to re-write the hobbit to better fit the world of Lord of the Rings. He was constantly changing his world where he wanted to make the world no longer flat. So he was fine with the story being piecemeal because that is how he wrote and how he considered his own work. He wrote things in pieces and went back and fixed or changed things as needed for those new pieces to fit.
    You are wrong and just keep repeating falsehoods trying to sound correct. Tolkien never finished the story of the 2nd aqe and therefore never published it and therefore would not have been OK with someone getting the rights to something unfinished he never published. And certainly he would have never been OK with the appendices being used as the basis for the rights to a story of the 2nd age in a TV series and not even the Silmarilion, Unfinished Tales and his notes. That doesn't even make sense.

But fine. Believe what you want. No need to keep repeating your nonsensical argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Shad's not bad, he's got a lot of indepth knowledge. But he plays it up and I think he's too opinionated at times. He flips his shit way too easily. Probably part of the character, but it gets old fast.

I don't even think RoP is worth analyzing, the swordplay is pure fantasy.
    Just because it is fantasy doesn't mean they shouldn't have taken it seriously. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, they could have actually adopted a more "modern" approach as found in D&D to define the fighting skills and training of the elves. I mean they do it in mocap for game trailers all the time and in actual MMO game play. The whole point here is that they have to make the fantasy seem real and if that fantasy is that the elves have their own way of fighting then they should take some effort to show that. Just like they should take the effort to show that Elves are normally very much taller than normal men and that the Numenoreans are larger than most normal men and epic warriors. None of that was done here and that is the reason why it falls so hard on its face. Galadriel is shorter than almost everybody on the set in most cases. That just shows how much they did not care about the lore of middle earth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    It's almost depressing to watch some LotR scenes now on youtube with big epic scale armies fighting each other, while now on TV we get 15 peasants defending against 50 orcs. Then a cavalry of 30 people comes in to save the day. I mean... where are all the people?
    Aren’t the movies more or less the last stand of all remaining men and elfs in middle earth and orcs who have had tens (hundreds??) of years to grow there size?

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Or the trailers just didn’t look good? It felt like a generic high fantasy series, nothing Tolkien about it except for the name.
    This is a weird one because visually Tolkien IS pretty much just “generic high fantasy” given how much the genre drew from his works. What made Tolkien special were things like his narrative style, highly descriptive language for scenery, creation of languages, extensive connected lore, and being the one who developed a lot of what are now generic fantasy races. These qualities are either literary in nature or have simply become ubiquitous throughout the genre.

It’s people like John Howe and Peter Jackson who have set the tone for what LOOKS like Tolkien, and if this show has gotten anything right it’s continuing that visual style.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    True but its also the presentation, its the Angry Joe syndrome of reviews I am not a fan of, I kind of outgrew it 10 years ago. Not much constructive is said its just yelling very loudly, and more nit picking for the sake of nit picking and its doesn't create a positive critical outlook, only spreading this bitter angry nerd outlook that no one is going to take seriously outside of conservative white males for the most part. Which it does seem more catered to. No offensive to you conservatives which will no doubt be coming at me now)
    Like i said, i didn't watch other reviews, barely watch the ones from RoP, and every time he critize the show he says what could have been done to make it better, he is not talking purely out of his ass.
    His opinion on the Galadriel swordplay, while is legit, you can say the same for every show this way, 90% of shows with sword fighting are bad because the majority of people who watch don't give a shit about how someone swings their sword lol. The show is a play, its acting, its not supposed to be accurate sword play, no one is going to care unless you nit pick it. and sure making videos to analyse these sword play is fun, but its a horrible tool to just bash the show, which doesn't need further help on that :P
    There is bad swordplay and awful swordplay, you at least need to make something standard to portray those people

Shad's not bad, he's got a lot of indepth knowledge. But he plays it up and I think he's too opinionated at times. He flips his shit way too easily. Probably part of the character, but it gets old fast.

He does for other shows, and explain that you can do good swordplay in fantasy, but here, it was rly, rly bad, to a point of then not even aiming to the other person
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    This thread alone broke 100 pages month before the show was out due to people hating on the show without seeing any bad writing or how the show was amateurish, there is absolutely an anti fanbase and has been one since they said they were casting outside of just white people.

Only the blind or the hopefully actually tough this was not going to be awful, anyone who read bout what they were doing already knew how it was going to end, and turns out? they were right anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    True but its also the presentation, its the Angry Joe syndrome of reviews I am not a fan of, I kind of outgrew it 10 years ago. Not much constructive is said its just yelling very loudly, and more nit picking for the sake of nit picking and its doesn't create a positive critical outlook, only spreading this bitter angry nerd outlook that no one is going to take seriously outside of conservative white males for the most part. Which it does seem more catered to. No offensive to you conservatives which will no doubt be coming at me now)
    Like i said, i didn't watch other reviews, barely watch the ones from RoP, and every time he critize the show he says what could have been done to make it better, he is not talking purely out of his ass.
    His opinion on the Galadriel swordplay, while is legit, you can say the same for every show this way, 90% of shows with sword fighting are bad because the majority of people who watch don't give a shit about how someone swings their sword lol. The show is a play, its acting, its not supposed to be accurate sword play, no one is going to care unless you nit pick it. and sure making videos to analyse these sword play is fun, but its a horrible tool to just bash the show, which doesn't need further help on that :P
    There is bad swordplay and awful swordplay, you at least need to make something standard to portray those people

He does for other shows, and explain that you can do good swordplay in fantasy, but here, it was rly, rly bad, to a point of then not even aiming to the other person

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Amazon are using the popularity the films had to make money, nothing to do with the books at all since the books were barely known before the films, the books are full of flaws to bad plots holes and just things that make no sense, so moaning about so called flaws in a tv series when the books are flawed makes no sense. Being a scholar of language and lit doesnt make you perfect at writing a book.

Tolkien was barely known while he was alive and most of the success is from the films. He knew with his style of writing it would be harder to implement it into a film.
    You are spouting absolute falsehoods. His work has been popular since the Hobbit was first published 85 years ago.

George Allen & Unwin Ltd. of London published the first edition of The Hobbit on 21 September 1937 with a print run of 1,500 copies, which sold out by December because of enthusiastic reviews. This first printing was illustrated in black and white by Tolkien, who designed the dust jacket as well. Houghton Mifflin of Boston and New York reset type for an American edition, to be released early in 1938, in which four of the illustrations would be colour plates. Allen & Unwin decided to incorporate the colour illustrations into their second printing, released at the end of 1937. Despite the book's popularity, paper rationing due to World War II and not ending until 1949 meant that the Allen & Unwin edition of the book was often unavailable during this period.

Subsequent editions in English were published in 1951, 1966, 1978 and 1995. Numerous English-language editions of The Hobbit have been produced by several publishers.[46] In addition, The Hobbit has been translated into over sixty languages, with more than one published version for some languages.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit

As for his writing, the main criticism has mostly been that it is a bit too complex, especially for young readers. But nobody would ever argue this was because he was a bad writer. The man was an esteemed scholar of the English language in England.

Rosebury studies several examples of Tolkien's diction in The Lord of the Rings at length, citing passages and analysing them in detail to show what they achieve. One is the moment when the Hobbit Merry has helped to kill the Witch-King, the leader of the Ringwraiths, and finds himself standing alone on the battlefield. Part of the quoted passage runs:

"And still Meriadoc stood there blinking through his tears, and no one spoke to him, indeed none seemed to heed him... And behold! there lay his weapon, but the blade was smoking like a dry branch that has been thrust in a fire; and as he watched, it writhed and withered and was consumed. So passed the sword of the Barrow-Downs, work of Westernesse. But glad would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly long ago in the North-Kingdom when the Dunedain were young, and chief among their foes was the dread realm of Angmar and its sorcerer king. No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will."

Rosebury writes that this begins with "essentially plain syntax", as if Merry were speaking; but "woven into the clauses" are subtle clues in the syntax, like "heed" rather than "notice", and the Hobbit's full name Meriadoc to stay in touch with the un-Hobbitlike "heroic tonality" of the passage. The first sentence of the second paragraph, he notes, heralds a shift of mood, as does the following "But glad would he have been", with effective use of inversion. Rosebury shows how awkward the uninverted form would have been: "But he who wrought it long ago ... would have been glad to know its fate." The passage ends with a powerfully musical sentence with assonances between "blade", "wield", "dealt" and so on; alliteration with "wield", "wound", "will"; memorable phrases like "unseen sinews"; and the immediacy of the present participles "cleaving...breaking", the implied "and" importantly suppressed. Rosebury states that the wide range of styles could have become an untidy mess, but the narrative is big enough to allow Tolkien to modulate gracefully between low and high styles.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien%27s_prose_style

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Any show that is set over vast distances wont have all stories running all at the same time, its just simple logic and common sense to accept that, there is only so much you can put into a tv show episode and you dont want to put in everyone travelling all the time or it will waste way too much time better spent on other things.
    The problem is there is no common sense in this show at all.

They don't address these things at all, and leave it up to the audience to make sense of without showing or explaining. While it's not always a problem, it definitely leads to a disjointed plot that doesn't really make sense if you start thinking about it.

But sure, if your idea of common sense is 'don't think about it, it just happens' then yeah, I agree, ignorant is bliss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    You are wrong and just keep repeating falsehoods trying to sound correct. Tolkien never finished the story of the 2nd aqe and therefore never published it and therefore would not have been OK with someone getting the rights to something unfinished he never published. And certainly he would have never been OK with the appendices being used as the basis for the rights to a story of the 2nd age in a TV series and not even the Silmarilion, Unfinished Tales and his notes. That doesn't even make sense. But fine. Believe what you want. No need to keep repeating your nonsensical argument.
    I'm not repeating falsehoods. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is false. I never said Tolkien finished the story of the 2nd age. I never said he published it. He was okay with people getting the rights to The Hobbit when he wanted to re-write the entire thing to better fit Lord of the Rings. Hence why I keep telling you that the line between published and unpublished didn't mean anything to Tolkien. Why would he have never been okay with the appendices, part of a published book, be used for an adaptation? Don't you keep saying he approved of published works being used? It is strange how you contradict yourself whenever you need to.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    This is a weird one because visually Tolkien IS pretty much just “generic high fantasy” given how much the genre drew from his works. What made Tolkien special were things like his narrative style, highly descriptive language for scenery, creation of languages, extensive connected lore, and being the one who developed a lot of what are now generic fantasy races. These qualities are either literary in nature or have simply become ubiquitous throughout the genre.

It’s people like John Howe and Peter Jackson who have set the tone for what LOOKS like Tolkien, and if this show has gotten anything right it’s continuing that visual style.
    Tolkien's work is not generic fantasy because of all the work he put into establishing the back story, languages, cultures, races and history of Middle Earth. That is the complete opposite of "generic" fantasy. Do you even know what that term means?

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Just because it is fantasy doesn't mean they shouldn't have taken it seriously. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, they could have actually adopted a more "modern" approach as found in D&D to define the fighting skills and training of the elves. I mean they do it in mocap for game trailers all the time and in actual MMO game play. The whole point here is that they have to make the fantasy seem real and if that fantasy is that the elves have their own way of fighting then they should take some effort to show that. Just like they should take the effort to show that Elves are normally very much taller than normal men and that the Numenoreans are larger than most normal men and epic warriors. None of that was done here and that is the reason why it falls so hard on its face. Galadriel is shorter than almost everybody on the set in most cases. That just shows how much they did not care about the lore of middle earth.
    What I meant about fantasy is that it doesn't aim to be realistic at all. This show's combat is comparable to Xena Warrior Princess.

Breaking down Rings of Power's combat in realism terms misses the point of the spectacle, like an MMA expert breaking down Professional Wrestling moves. It's all flash no substance, and that's sort of the point.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-04 at 09:29 PM.