I find myself curious about British cuisine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    You are being too harsh, they only lost to such titans like Great British baking show, can't expect a little IP like Lord of the Rings to overcome such a massive foe!
    Most shows lose to Cocomelon as it is usually in the weekly top 10 from Nielsen. Does that mean all other shows suck because it can't beat them?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    But my sense is that no one really cares about this thing, and it’ll get “why not, it’s free” casual viewers and that’s it.
    And yet Boundingtocomics is still creating hate articles about the show. Plenty of you here and on other forum/discussion sites are still talking about the show. Don't confuse you not liking it with everyone in the world. Lmao.

Do you have a source for 250 million in marketing? 8 episodes is not a "Short season" when it is a standard amount used for streaming shows. Why invent silly things when there are so many good flaws to complain about with the show.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2023-02-02 at 03:25 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I don't need numbers to justify a show I like, I personally couldn't care less how a show does number wise along as it gets another season if the story isn't over. I just think it's funny the extents you guys bend over backwards to say the show failed when apparently all reports say it was worth the investment.

I also don't even think the show is good, I enjoyed it but think it's just an ok show slightly better then wheel of time but I wouldn't say it breaks into good territory. Though to be fair Id rank all LOTR live action movies in just ok though likely at different ends of that category.

Who cares if it's US exclusive if that's the norm for ratting success for the industry it's not like every independent tracking source is making up a new metric just for ROP.

I mean no I don't care if half of prime didn't watch it with out some reference point of what % of prime watches any show.

50% could be amazing it could be awful without further context there's no way to know so why would any one care.
    1) you have persistently and continuously conflated what you personally think of this excuse for a production, and what the general audience en masse thinks of this show as a whole, and regularly you have stated that you are defending this shite based on the 'numbers' so yes, you obviously do care, very much in fact.

2) last time i checked there was 7.6-7.7 BILLION people that lived outside of the US, now i'm not maths expert here but i find measuring a population of ~340 MILLION and using that as your only metric for measuring engagement metrics FLAWED IN THE EXTREME, but that might just be me, as stated by others, where i live this show flopped so badly they replaced the advertising boards before the final episode had aired, and based on GLOBAL interaction it's been a massive flop almost globally, the only market it did 'well' in and i use that word extremely loosely because based on all metrics comparing it to the competition it sucked ass, was the US market.

3) at the time of the show airing, less than 40% of people with an amazon prime account watched the first episode, that number rose to approximately half of all people with an amazon prime account by the time the show was due to end, that means despite the fact it was 'free' to watch, people were so put off by the sheer state of the show, they didn't bother to watch it, they valued their time more doing other things than watching this clusterfuck of a show, compare that to the likes of 'Reacher' which launched earlier in the year which saw almost 85% of all people with a prime account watch it either as it released or shortly thereafter, or other movies which see a majority %age of those with an account watching, so yes, it's embarrassing for Amazon to not even have half the people already subscribed to their service watch the program.

i genuinely don't care if you liked it or not, that's a subjective thing, and something i have always said in this thread and others around the internet, the issue i have is people trying to claim that it's a good show when the reality of it is that this show is one of the worst shows ever made based on the IP, it's not only badly made from a technical point of view as stated by many professionals in the industry tearing it apart for the amateurish way the actors conduct themselves in scenes, to the clown like outfits to the frankly last century levels of CGI copy/paste showing absolute laziness and desperation, it had some of the worst writing for a big budget production this decade, and frankly the casting was atrocious, these points have all been made by professionals in the industry alongside reporters showcasing them in media, you had the usual paid for media trying to defend this dross but as soon as the money stopped coming they soon stopped reporting, and even those who were paid to give glowing reviews later came out and did a complete 180, which shows that once the back handers have stopped coming in, nobody really cared about this show, the 'influencers' they paid to watch a preview and did a whole 'superfan' video series for haven't even watched the show, that's damning in and of itself nevermind the paid for media, Amazon actively paid these people to give positive and repeated takes all under direction off screen and not a single one of them has watched or given any feedback towards the show, is that not suspicious to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    And yet Boundingtocomics is still creating hate articles about the show. Plenty of you here and on other forum/discussion sites are still talking about the show. Don't confuse you not liking it with everyone in the world. Lmao.

Do you have a source for 250 million in marketing? 8 episodes is not a "Short season" when it is a standard amount used for streaming shows. Why invent silly things when there are so many good flaws to complain about with the show.
    3 things wrong with this comment:

1) you're using 'boundingintocomics' as a source unironically, the clowns running that website are known to simp for a product when they are being paid for it then do the whole 'hate clicks' schtick when they stop being paid, it's normal for them, so trying to say they are a reputable source of anything is laughable at best, and downright dishonest generally.

2) the vast majority of people outside the US disliked this show, enough to not even bother engaging with it either by watching it, or engaging on social media about it, you do know that there are hundreds of countries outside of the US right?, you're not the only people on planet earth?, i have to ask because sadly as shown in multiple videos it seems that a vast majority of your populace don't know where fucking Canada is let alone the rest of the world.

3) the show was funded by the purchase of the copyright and publishing rights to the lord of the rings trilogy, the hobbit, and the appendices of said books, that cost ~$250M, the show marketing budget was said to be roughly a quarter of the total budget which is widely reported to be $1Bn meaning that as an estimate the advertising budget for the show was the same as the rights portion of the budget with the general production costing the remaining $500M, and just as an aside, as a general rule for TV shows a 'season' has always been 12 episodes minimum, sometimes 13 but in the main most shows have a dozen episodes per season, depending on the show it could be more, it's only until recent times with Netflix because of how they fund and release shows that they have cut this number down purely down to lack of funding to do more, and only expanding seasonal episode length if a show does well enough to make a surplus that they can afford to do those extra episodes without eating into the budget.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The fact a lot of people decided pre-emptively to hate the show and squawk down all conversations outside of a few "echo-chambers" probably doesn't bother them much if the actual figures work in their favour.
    I mean yeah? i know bad press and controversy is a bump into a viewship, but hardly hold up if its not good. A lot of people went to hate watch Rop too, but as the numbers showed, people didn't follow for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Just a hint - when someone says “top x” that usually means that they are in position x lol.
    Not usually, when yous ay someone is at the top 5 or top 10 could mean they are in 3th or 7th position by example.

Actually, no one says top 15 or top 20, is either 10, 5 or 3

Season 2 will most likely tell the tale. You can manufacture “success” out of a beloved IP, 250 mill in marketing, and a short season. But my sense is that no one really cares about this thing, and it’ll get “why not, it’s free” casual viewers and that’s it.
    The success in rings of power, is, like, if your mother give you money to buy lemon, so you make lemonade, and your father buys everything cause no one did.

You can say you were successful because you sold it all.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2023-02-02 at 05:05 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    1) you have persistently and continuously conflated what you personally think of this excuse for a production, and what the general audience en masse thinks of this show as a whole, and regularly you have stated that you are defending this shite based on the 'numbers' so yes, you obviously do care, very much in fact.
    I try to never attribute my own view's to any one else or what the general audience thinks, can you link me any of my post where I am doing so? Like I know I've said abunch of time's that I don't personally care for the Jackson movies all that much But in general they are well liked adaptations even if they aren't for me.

As well can could you link me any post where I have ever said any thing about defending the show based on numbers? The only post I can think of that are about numbers at all are around things like how amazon isn't lying about them or how there numbers say it was a worthwhile investment I don't believe I have ever tied the quality of any thing to numbers.

But mabye I just don't remember some of my post in here there have been quite a few so they could have slipped my memory.

2) last time i checked there was 7.6-7.7 BILLION people that lived outside of the US, now i'm not maths expert here but i find measuring a population of ~340 MILLION and using that as your only metric for measuring engagement metrics FLAWED IN THE EXTREME, but that might just be me, as stated by others, where i live this show flopped so badly they replaced the advertising boards before the final episode had aired, and based on GLOBAL interaction it's been a massive flop almost globally, the only market it did 'well' in and i use that word extremely loosely because based on all metrics comparing it to the competition it sucked ass, was the US market.
    The amount of people out side the Us really doesn't matter if the standard is to base success off of the Us market, mabye the standard should be adjusted to be global but until it is measuring a show by a standard no other show adheres to doesn't make any sense.

3) at the time of the show airing, less than 40% of people with an amazon prime account watched the first episode, that number rose to approximately half of all people with an amazon prime account by the time the show was due to end, that means despite the fact it was 'free' to watch, people were so put off by the sheer state of the show, they didn't bother to watch it, they valued their time more doing other things than watching this clusterfuck of a show, compare that to the likes of 'Reacher' which launched earlier in the year which saw almost 85% of all people with a prime account watch it either as it released or shortly thereafter, or other movies which see a majority %age of those with an account watching, so yes, it's embarrassing for Amazon to not even have half the people already subscribed to their service watch the program.
    If you have data about amazon show's and what % of people with prime accounts watch them please share it other wise it's just a kinda useless data point.

Reacher for example is a show I have never once heard of until this thread I wasn't part of the suppose 15% who didn't watch it because of the state of the show I just don't check prime for months on end and when I do I tend to go straight to the Horror section and ignore every thing else Nor have I ever seen an add for any show on prime for any thing other then ROP or The Boys.

It could be that 50% is an awful number and most show's are around the 85 mark you said Reacher got it could be that most shows get say 5-10% and 50% is really good with things like Reacher being an anomaly, I don't know either way and without a actual reference beyond one show I've never heard of I can't care one way or the other so again if you have a link to how the shows normally do % wise please share it.

I have is people trying to claim that it's a good show when the reality of it is that this show is one of the worst shows ever made based on the IP,
    Isn't this the only show ever based on the IP? have there been other LOTR based shows I've missed?

the 'influencers' they paid to watch a preview and did a whole 'superfan' video series for haven't even watched the show, that's damning in and of itself nevermind the paid for media, Amazon actively paid these people to give positive and repeated takes all under direction off screen and not a single one of them has watched or given any feedback towards the show, is that not suspicious to you?
    I do not follow marketing/promo's around any show's or movies, Once every few months Ill look up horror movie trailers on youtube and mark down any that look interesting to me, Beyond that and reading threads here before a show airs I don't follow or check on any Media before something comes out with I think the only exception I have ever made being for the The recent Mortal combat movie.

So in short, I have no idea if its suspicious I don't know what the norm in the industry is.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2023-02-02 at 05:33 AM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

15+ Year Old Account
    1) you're using 'boundingintocomics' as a source unironically, the clowns running that website are known to simp for a product when they are being paid for it then do the whole 'hate clicks' schtick when they stop being paid, it's normal for them, so trying to say they are a reputable source of anything is laughable at best, and downright dishonest generally.
    I never said it was reputable. Still producing hate for clicks indicates they still think people are interested, right? Non-US not liking the show is irrelevant. The show still got views and was a success for Amazon. Will season 2 be the same now that majority of the world hates the show? Maybe maybe not. Though you are known to lie and exaggerate so I doubt you have any statistics to back up your claim of how many dislike the show.

3) the show was funded by the purchase of the copyright and publishing rights to the lord of the rings trilogy, the hobbit, and the appendices of said books, that cost ~$250M, the show marketing budget was said to be roughly a quarter of the total budget which is widely reported to be $1Bn meaning that as an estimate the advertising budget for the show was the same as the rights portion of the budget with the general production costing the remaining $500M
    The rights purchase is not part of the budget though. The budget for the show is reported to be $450 million. So if marketing is a quarter of that it would only be $126 million. That is about half of the figure you are using and would put their total expenditure short of $1 billion so far. Seasons for streaming shows have not always been 12 or 13 episodes. It has also been a varying amount based on network and show type.

- - - Updated - - -

Reacher for example is a show I have never once heard of until this thread I wasn't part of the suppose 15% who didn't watch it because of the state of the show I just don't check prime for months on end and when I do I tend to go straight to the Horror section and ignore every thing else Nor have I ever seen an add for any show on prime for any thing other then ROP or The Boys.
    It's first week of full availability saw 1,589m minutes and the priemer week ( two days I believe) had 1,800 something minutes. So it had a bigger debut then RoP but it didn't get a higher total streamed as only two shows appeared on the 2022 top 15. The Boys and Rings of Power. So if 85% watched Reacher then 85% or more watched Rings of Power making the show a success. If that figure doesn't make RoP a success then no Amazon show can ever be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Not just mine, but social media overall, i don't think is right to disregard how little engagement it had in the most populous social medias out there.
    I don't think you know what the industry means by engagement. Engagement is simply how many instances of interaction and visibility exists for your product.

Engagement has nothing to do with what people are saying, minutes viewed, overall viewership. It has nothing to do with the platform. The platforms can not and do not even track engagement.

Engagment is a broad method of interactions that are tracked by social media analysts and only measures the instances of interactions. Visitation, amplification, advocacy, contribution, content permission, informational distribution among a given set of category and non-category user interaction.

You are confusing different things within the industry. They are not the same and involve a whole different set of specialists and executives.

Right, but that is not personal or subjective, the show is objectively bad.
    There is no such thing. Even if there were, it wouldn't mean anything to the business criteria for a streaming platform.

Try to make an argument about something being "objectively bad" in an actual business meeting. Total nonsense. Subjective opinion is not a measure anyone will track or base their business plans on.

Right, what im saying is, taking account the IP, the money they put, and the controversy around it, is not that impressive.
    That's entirely your subjective opinion on whether it is impressive. The people that will be packaging the show would disagree. I already answered a number of different aspects that you are not speaking on with any discernable knowledge of process or practice.

With all of that, they should have snatched top 5 easily, if it was somehow decent
    Also, entirely your personal opinion based on feeling. Both are irrelevant and inaccurate.

If it were easy, other distros that command larger and more valuable brands than Lord of the Rings would have done better than 15th. None did. Except for Amazon.

What i gather here, is nothing else matter, only minutes watched, and to me it sounds like it is an artificial success(let alone how minutes watched is a garbage metric to measure something, unlike, maybe number of views), and only in terms of that chart that can lead to other beneficial to the company, in advertisement
    This is all your opinion, again. It doesn't matter, again.

The entertainment industry uses minutes viewed as a measure and will continue to do so regardless of a random guy on the internet thoughts on the matter. This is the measure that is used- period.

You are free to send an email to any executives at Netflix, Amazon, Universal, or to the data analysts themselves to voice your opinion on how people with personal private jets, yachts, and islands ought to measure their business.

I guess the problem rly we just have different views on what is a success and what is not.
    That doesn't matter. I am talking about the business of the show. It is based on the standards and common practices for media packaging in the commercial entertainment industry.

Having a "different view" is not useful to anyone. Because it is a view supported by nothing and no one that is actually involved in the business of packaging and leveraging content properties.

I bet if they went 16th or 18th, we would have a top 20 instead, to show how much successful it was
    Amazon doesn't make this chart. It is data collected by Nielsen. Nielsen is an independent organization.

i hardly call it a success,
    Irrelevant. This is not a conversation to have with me. The quality of this show is not relevant to anything I am talking about nor am I interested in discussing the quality of the show.

The show was already greenlit for 4/5 seasons, i don't remember the number exactly, but they have to make then, because they already spend 1 billion on it. might as well just roll on it to not lost the money.
    That isn't how it works, really. "Greenlit" is the wrong terminology here too. If you knew the process you wouldn't make that error. You would know what a production suite being renewed is and means. The long and short of it is, Amazon don't "have to make" anything and they wouldn't if it had no market viability.

Especially as they just hired a new executive to trim the fat from all areas of business within Amazon. An exec that has already raised rates, cut budgets, canceled in production projects and so on.

My brother, do you think these people are billionaires because they don't know what they are doing and really give a fuck about the pointy ears of elves?

There is no "different view" to have. Because how you view it is only relevant to you. Not to the industry.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-02-02 at 02:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Subjective opinion is not a measure anyone will track or base their business plans on.
    Considering that pitches to get funding rely on subjective opinions and fan influenced revivals have occurred like with The Expanse, Galaxy Quest, Veronica Mars, Twin Peaks, and Arrested Development. It seems entirely clear that the industry will make a business plan around subjective opinions if they want to.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2023-02-02 at 06:47 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's first week of full availability saw 1,589m minutes and the priemer week ( two days I believe) had 1,800 something minutes. So it had a bigger debut then RoP but it didn't get a higher total streamed as only two shows appeared on the 2022 top 15. The Boys and Rings of Power. So if 85% watched Reacher then 85% or more watched Rings of Power making the show a success. If that figure doesn't make RoP a success then no Amazon show can ever be successful.
    Wait when you say full availability do you mean all the episodes launched at once unlike Rop/The boys staggered release?

Because if people are comparing premier numbers of 8-?? Episodes to just 2 and saying the 8-?? Show had a higher launch number that’s really stupid.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait when you say full availability do you mean all the episodes launched at once unlike Rop/The boys staggered release?
    Correct. The entire season of 8 episodes was released on February 4th. It was the first time that an Amazon show was number one on the weekly top 10 apparently. So it is still an accomplishment but doesn't detract from Rings of Power in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I was expecting more when you said "the top 15", but they are just the 15th place, that was a bit sad. And that is like, almost all the shows that aired, of course they would make to it somehow lol
    It's also at number 15 in the top 100 charts, is that more exciting for you?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    God I love this thread.

Some one who apparently works directly in this line of work “numbers across multiple unbiased sources says it did well and was with there investment”

People who whine about how it did poorly “I don’t like it so your wrong and it failed!”
    I just think its really interesting how far off us 'normal viewers' are from understanding, really, what goes into how these companies determine 'successful' show. Fencers informative posts about these things, along with random tidbits I read elsewhere, just further indicate that most of us, as viewers and posters here, really don't fully grasp all the bits that go into these decisions.

Like the recent Netflix CEO (Or whomever he was) statement about how Netflix "has never cancelled a successful show" was met with such backlash - when people just have to realize that the way NETFLIX counts those numbers, its a true statement. It coming to light (through this statement or possibly just before) that a major 'success' marker for Netflix is looking at "engagement through ENTIRE show" or "Who watched the whole thing". Not just raw numbers or minutes viewed in each episode - but counting who FINISHED the show.

And in the articles I read, they found example after example of shows viewers (the public) thought as popular/successful but that Netflix cancelled (confusing people at the time) and found this marker to be telling. Almost all the supposedly "popular" shows they were looking at had very low 'full show completion' numbers.

Just pretty interesting to me. As well as reminding us "we aren't as 'expert' as we think we are/we don't even know what we don't know" about how these decisions are REALLY made and what numbers DO really matter.

And our own personal impressions, or how much money was spent vs what WE see as the 'successful profit return' - CAN (not always, but at least sometimes) have almost nothing to do with what is really used to determine a show's 'success'.

Course, that's something that is now 'known' about at least one part of how Netflix actually determines "show success" for renewal/cancellation. No idea how Amazon, Apple+, HBO, etc. considers that SAME data in prioritizing decision-making, or uses entirely different sets of data altogether and may not give an F about "viewed to completion" rates.

We don't know!! Now just admit it. =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

People just remember the Michael bay Transformers movies were also very successful, that is all I'll say on this matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbutler View Post
    People just remember the Michael bay Transformers movies were also very successful, that is all I'll say on this matter.
    the first few were successful because it was the revival of a series that had been dead for decades outside of childrens TV shows on obscure networks, so there was a lot of adults (me being one of them) that was really looking forward to seeing what i grew up on, on the big screen that the masses would engage with, and while i despise the bay orgasms all over the place, the earlier films were decent enough to revive the franchise.

7+ Year Old Account
    Correct. The entire season of 8 episodes was released on February 4th. It was the first time that an Amazon show was number one on the weekly top 10 apparently. So it is still an accomplishment but doesn't detract from Rings of Power in any way.
    Ya it sounds like the show did well but it’s premier isn’t really Relevant to a weekly released show as there was so much more to binge which could boost numbers a lot higher.

Hopefully Rogoth has some links though as I can’t seem to find any thing about it having 85% of prime users watching it or %’s for like any show with a quick google.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a link with figures that show how it bombed in every country that isn't the US, personally.
    That would be nice as well though kinda makes
    Me wonder if prime is even a big thing out side of North America store front or prime wise.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    We don't know!! Now just admit it. =D
    It’s people seeking validation I think they want there views to be right so they have to tear down any info that doesn’t Aline with them and won’t admit that They don’t have the full picture if it’s not the picture they want.

Finished 1st season, it definitelly had some good aesthetic but boy , was it boring ....

I feel like nothing really happened in that show apart from a cheap battle between the numenor and the orcs. It felt like watching the extended remix director cut long version of a show that could easily have been a 4 episode season without losing ANY story telling, removing the slow motions scenes and the unecessary dialogues that are just here to give a flase sense of being important lessons.

And it felt weird that the way they were talking about their attack was like a massive army sailing from numenor to save a whole region but in realitty it felt like 4 ship going there to help a single village ???

And my god, please, bring a bit of nuance in your characters ... They are either evil or good hobbits with the power of friendship ....
    Last edited by Ezyah; 2023-02-02 at 09:01 PM.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    /snip

If it were easy, other distros that command larger and more valuable brands than Lord of the Rings would have done better than 15th. None did. Except for Amazon.

/snip
    There's only one thing i might disagree with you in your post and that's the only quoted part.

Lord of the Rings is one of the largest and most valuable brands in literature, cinema, game companies and has a great engagement in all those areas. And has done so for years.

I do feel that you judge this by the TV industry standards and recent metrics and while it isn't exactly wrong, your quoted part isn't also exactly right. While some other IP's and brands may have done better in the industry recently, this does not reduce the value of Lord of the Rings and the Tolkien brand, which has had a steady and faithful engagement from the public for more than 75+years.

I would really like to know which brands do you think were larger and more valuable than Lord of the Rings and the criteria that led to this opinion.
    /spit@Blizzard