Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    IIRC, he watched each episode in a pub with friends. Perhaps he just misheard things through the general noise/conversation /shrug

The real issue is generally he will only ever accept whatever he himself believes, there is zero wiggle room for reflection. And he really does just twist anything he can into a negative for this series for some reason lol It's like some folks have made it their identity, and absolutely must have this series be an outright failure (despite it blatantly being successful). It's why you see things move to new talking points like Prime costs, as if that has anything to do with it.

But I digress. He's like this in every thread within this sub-forum. It's either what he believes, or it's wrong.
    I've been kinda lurking this thread for a while, in and out, mostly because I'm actually surprised it's still active considering, though I guess I shouldn't be. It can sometimes be amusing when someone goes off completely denying basic reality in a harmless matter, hence the whole copium thing. But when the tantrum just never ends, it's just get's boring and sad and the second hand embarrassment starts. I guess people can do whatever they want, who am I to say otherwise, but I mean these companies make billions tens of billions because of how they measure by what they consider successful, not that it's like an exact science and perfect method, but those people do know more than someone going out of their way to make it clear they don't know the difference in the meaning objective and subjective. If like that in other threads too, yikes. Just too banal for me to ever want to engage, really just no point in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Wow, this guy sounds cool!

More seriously though - just make your point. What’s “banal” is the “I’m too cool to post, but I’m posting anyway” move.

And to your point - ummm, yeah, corporations screw up all the time - particularly huge tech companies taking big risks.
    Yes, they do screw up all the time, but didn't with this, and no amount of denial and being very angry will change that fact, but don't let that stop you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I've been kinda lurking this thread for a while, in and out, mostly because I'm actually surprised it's still active considering, though I guess I shouldn't be. It can sometimes be amusing when someone goes off completely denying basic reality in a harmless matter, hence the whole copium thing. But when the tantrum just never ends, it's just get's boring and sad and the second hand embarrassment starts. I guess people can do whatever they want, who am I to say otherwise, but I mean these companies make billions tens of billions because of how they measure by what they consider successful, not that it's like an exact science and perfect method, but those people do know more than someone going out of their way to make it clear they don't know the difference in the meaning objective and subjective. If like that in other threads too, yikes. Just too banal for me to ever want to engage, really just no point in it.
    Yet you just engaged, you degenerate.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Would they though? If their descendants are corrupted sufficiently enough that they are no longer considered Elves, but something entirely new, would the souls of their offspring still be elven? If it is as implied that Morgoth's corruption was enough to cause their descendants to lose their elvish immortality, would their souls still be elvish?

I mean, for one, it's explicitly laid out in Tolkien's lore that the distinction between elven souls and mannish souls is how they are treated differently when it comes to death: Elvish souls are bound to Arda, and reincarnated through the Halls of Mandos. They are explicitly tied to the world until it's end, as decreed by Tolkien. Mannish souls are not, and it's largely believed that when they died, they were free to move "elsewhere", beyond the confines of Arda. They may or may not have still been collected by Mandos in the halls though, before being sent wherever they ended up going however.

It's also noted that half-elves likely had a personal choice as to where their Fëa was counted, as at least one of them chose the Fate of Men when they died, and their soul was considered "lost" to their kin, as they passed beyond Arda.

So there's possible precedent for effectively being able to "breed out" the elvish attachment to the world, which is effectively what defines the difference between an "elvish" and "non-elvish" soul.

This means it's still fairly plausible that the later generations of Orcs beyond the original corrupted elves might not have had elvish souls.
    @Syegfryed is pretty much right in this one, Tolkien was worried about what Orcs descending from Elves would mean for their eternal souls as they should be tied to Middle-earth. He preferred the idea of them descending from Men but never incorporated that idea as it would involve shifting the time-line around so Men awoke before the Sun rose. If he got around to writing a "true" history of Middle-earth this could have come in with the round-world cosmology that he also preferred but rather than rewrite the Silmarillion that much he decided to frame it as legends among Men and the Sylvan Elves who didn't have as much understanding as the Amanyar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Id have to go through the actor's but I don't think any elf's in Rop looked gaunt and they certainty don't have black blood like adar.

And if the soul can't be twisted enough to lose immortality then all orc should just be immortal as there parents would still be just elf's and they would just have birth defects.

From the Dialogue Glad calls him "the first orcs" he agrees and but say's they prefer Uruk, there are never any mentions of a transformation I can recall nor him retaining any thing from elvdom, he's called an orc and he agrees that he is one.

as far as Tolkien goes all we got is that elves were "corrupted and enslaved" into orcs and then the race was bred, we don't have any real way of knowing if that first generation transformed visibly in any real way or if there kids just got uglier as time went own due to the corruption.
    Both the LotR trilogy and RoP take liberties with the appearance of Orcs to make them look more frightening, Tolkien described them (in problematic terms) as being rather ugly but not mutilated like the on-screen ors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    "the first orcs" aren't actually orcs
    Brilliant. The show calls them Orcs, logic says they must be Orcs because that's what they were made into.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say looking gaunt is very elfy, but if you do more power to you I guess.
    Ah yes, cause looking Gaunt and old as balls, like Celebrimbor, sure sounds elvish
    we Don't know what the first generation of orc looks like Tolkien didn't describe them as far as I'm aware in any of his writings all we know is that the Elves were corrupted into orcs and then Bred more and Adar falls in line with that just fine.
    If he doesn't mention a difference in appearance, we stick with the premise that they always had this appearance after being breed/transformed, cause if there was a difference, Tolkien would have mentioned in one of his notes. He said this however: 'Alter this. Orcs are not Elvish'

And again, this is also parting from the premise they came from elves and not humans, which is again, a weird point to talk, since it flip-flops from show lore and tolkien lore.

I put a quote form Tolkien above, the neither the words twisted or mutilated* are used, "corrupted and enslaved" how ever are. If you have a different quote please post it.
    It is a direte quote from the movies who were taken from silmilarion, that they were twisted and mutilated, both in mind and body

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Men but never incorporated that idea as it would involve shifting the time-line around so Men awoke before the Sun rose. If he got around to writing a "true" history of Middle-earth this could have come in with the round-world cosmology that he also preferred but rather than rewrite the Silmarillion that much he decided to frame it as legends among Men and the Sylvan Elves who didn't have as much understanding as the Amanyar.
    He did incorporated, as there is others works he put orcs coming from men, but he did not finish it, as it would require the change in the timeline, but he died before doing it. But again, it makes more sense because elves did not saw any orcs during the great marche.

Brilliant. The show calls them Orcs, logic says they must be Orcs because that's what they were made into.
    Not Adar, no, he would still be the dark elf who breed the real orcs.

Even if he and the show call himself an orc, it defeats and fucks over the whole premise of "showing orcs in a better light" when the fucker looks more like an elf than Celebrimbor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Explain to me: the goal of a company like Amazon is to make money. If this is a success it must have either made money or helped them make money. How did it do that?
    By driving sign ups and retaining subscribers. The same way Netflix makes money. This topic has been discussed here before. There was a leak of Amazon information back in 2018 that gives a small glimpse of how they consider these things.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1GR0FX

The documents also show that Amazon’s U.S. audience for all video programming on Prime, including films and TV shows it licenses from other companies, was about 26 million customers. Amazon has never released figures for its total audience.

I'm highlighting this part from the article because it mentions that Amazon believed their audience for all Prime Video was about 26 million customers. This was back in 2018 and the service has grown significantly since then. It really indicates how the viewership of Reacher, The Boys, and The Rings of Power is such a big deal to the service and gave Amazon a "Win".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    @Syegfryed is pretty much right in this one, Tolkien was worried about what Orcs descending from Elves would mean for their eternal souls as they should be tied to Middle-earth. He preferred the idea of them descending from Men but never incorporated that idea as it would involve shifting the time-line around so Men awoke before the Sun rose.
    To be fair what Tolkien wrote still allows for the eternal souls to not be an issue. As the Elven-Orcs can simply be a different breed. Tolkien did have Half-Orcs and Goblin-men. Not all were created by Saurman as I saw something imply that Half-Orcs existed prior to the Dunlendings going to Saruman but can't find a specific quote from the books to back that up. The First Elves could simply have their eternal souls locked away in the Halls of Mandos. Being cast into the Void or "weakening" like Sauron after his final defeat are also possible fates.

Is it something left unexplained? Certainly but even with out a re-write there are ways it can work.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if he and the show call himself an orc, it defeats and fucks over the whole premise of "showing orcs in a better light" when the fucker looks more like an elf than Celebrimbor.
    Doesn't making an Orc more like an elf give it a better light by default? I think this is just a case of you not understanding something or being to lost in the argument to see it.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2023-02-11 at 12:50 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a direte quote from the movies who were taken from silmilarion, that they were twisted and mutilated, both in mind and body
    Today I learned that Tolkien himself wrote screenplays for Peter Jackson.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, cause looking Gaunt and old as balls, like Celebrimbor, sure sounds elvish
    Cele doesn't look Gaunt at all, Gauntness is thinness to the point of looking sick. Adar Has sunken Shallow cheeks which is a notable visual of Gauntness.

Cele might look old (id contest old as balls) but she surly isn't gaunt.

If he doesn't mention a difference in appearance, we stick with the premise that they always had this appearance after being breed/transformed, cause if there was a difference, Tolkien would have mentioned in one of his notes. He said this however: 'Alter this. Orcs are not Elvish'
    Tolkien Does mention difference appearances just not around the First generation they are more or less a foot note and one he was tinkering with and never actual locked down. What we do know is that there are different breeds of orcs rather they be the Uruk-hai half orcs or the normal ones so changes in appearance with following generations wouldn't be out of no where.

and as far as Tolkien's actual description goes it's "The least lovely Mongol-types."ect, not the actual monsters we got from the Jackson movies/Rop. Adar might not fit that description depending on how you want to take it but neither do the "proper" orcs so you could argue rather still being within human looks but not "Mongol typed" is further then being a totally inhuman monster like we got.

And again, this is also parting from the premise they came from elves and not humans, which is again, a weird point to talk, since it flip-flops from show lore and tolkien lore.
    it's not a flip flop of Tolkien's lore the only mention of there creation published by Tolken was them being from elves as Rhorle Mentioned in the two towers with.
    'Ho, hm, well, we could, you know! You do not know, perhaps, how strong we are. Maybe you have heard of Trolls? They are mighty strong. But Trolls are only counterfeits, made by the Enemy in the Great Darkness, in mockery of Ents, as Orcs were of Elves. We are stronger than Trolls.

It is a direte quote from the movies who were taken from Silmilarion, that they were twisted and mutilated, both in mind and body
    Went ahead and found a pdf of the Silmilarion to search through, There is only one use of twisted in it and no use of mutilated. While the quote I used above where they were "corrupted and enslaved" shows up in the Silmilarion word for word so even outside of the two towers it is the settled upon origin Tolkien's son went with.

The use of twisted if curious.
    But Melkor spoke to them in secret of Mortal Men, seeing how the
    silence of the Valar might be twisted to evil.
    Mabye you read it in a different langue where corrupted and enslaved was translated to twisted and mutilated but it's not in the English verison of the book.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading through more of the Silmarillion, I found this
    And ere long the evil creatures came even to Beleriand, over passes in the
    mountains, or up from the south through the dark forests. Wolves there were, or
    creatures that walked in wolf-shapes, and other fell beings of shadow; and
    among them were the Orcs, who afterwards wrought ruin in Beleriand: but they
    were yet few and wary, and did but smell out the ways of the land, awaiting the
    return of their lord. Whence they came, or what they were, the Elves knew not
    then, thinking them perhaps to be Avari who had become evil and savage in the
    wild; in which they guessed all too near, it is said.
    Which would obviously point to them still looking some what elvish and not the oatmeal monsters we got on screen.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Today I learned that Tolkien himself wrote screenplays for Peter Jackson.
    He wrote the notes on the silmarilion, that they took directly from the book and put into the movie, not the first time this ever happened, you know, rings of power straight up directly took quotes from the movie as well, but Peter jackson was not part of it.

Pretty funny coming from someone who was boasting about understanding things before, hum?

- - - Updated - - -

Cele doesn't look Gaunt at all, Gauntness is thinness to the point of looking sick. Adar Has sunken Shallow cheeks which is a notable visual of Gauntness.

Cele might look old (id contest old as balls) but she surly isn't gaunt.
    Celebrimbor look like he is dying my guy

You can't possible say with a straight face he looks more elvish than Adar, just because he have a thing on his cheek.

Tolkien Does mention difference appearances just not around the First generation they are more or less a foot note and one he was tinkering with and never actual locked down. What we do know is that there are different breeds of orcs rather they be the Uruk-hai half orcs or the normal ones so changes in appearance with following generations wouldn't be out of no where.
    The only differences mentioned about orcs are the subraces whitin the species, like some of then being smaller that would be called goblins or the snaga, and the ones almsot human-height and darker that lived in mordor, then the ones who were mixed with humans and other goblins.

ORcs are usually small, smaller than man, totally different from the elves who are way taller.

and as far as Tolkien's actual description goes it's "The least lovely Mongol-types."ect, not the actual monsters we got from the Jackson movies/Rop. Adar might not fit that description depending on how you want to take it but neither do the "proper" orcs so you could argue rather still being within human looks but not "Mongol typed" is further then being a totally inhuman monster like we got.
    Adar doesn't even fit the proper description of the orcs within the show he is 200% different from the orcs they showed so far.

Adar is literally an elf with a charred face, he does not share any characteristics whatsoever that Tolkien mention when talk about orcs. Thats why is dumb to say "they are showing orcs in a better light" talking about Adar, when he is straight up an elf in appearance. Or for the show, a Moriondor

it's not a flip flop of Tolkien's lore the only mention of there creation published by Tolken was them being from elves as Rhorle Mentioned in the two towers with.
    There is no mention in the two towers book afaik, its mentioned in the movies, because Jackson took the version that was published in the silmarilion, that was made by his son.

but its a long time since i took the books out of the boxes.

Reading through more of the Silmarillion, I found this Which would obviously point to them still looking some what elvish and not the oatmeal monsters we got on screen.
    Of what they "were" suggest they were no longer somewhat elvish, and are more close to the goblin-ish traits like he describe later.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2023-02-11 at 01:51 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Celebrimbor look like he is dying my guy

You can't possible say with a straight face he looks more elvish than Adar, just because he have a thing on his cheek.
    Do you live in a 3rd world country where people die at 40 or something? he isn't close to looking like he dying.

And Ya id say he look's more elvish then adar though mabye not by jackson's elves. Cant think of a single elf in any franchise ever that has looked gaunt.

The only differences mentioned about orcs are the subraces whitin the species, like some of then being smaller that would be called goblins or the snaga, and the big and darker ones that lived in mordor, then the ones who were mixed with humans and other goblins.
    Ya that's quite a lot of Varity and there is obviously gonna be different looks within all those groups.

Adar doesn't even fit the proper description of the orcs within the show he is 200% different from the orcs they showed so far.
    I mean the show describes him as an orc so he fits by default even if he might not mesh with the others.

Adar is literally an elf with a charred face, he does not share any characteristics whatsoever that Tolkien mention when talk about orcs. Thats why is dumb to say "they are showing orcs in a better light" talking about Adar, when he is straight up an elf in appearence. Or for the show, a Moriondor, who eventually breed the actual orcs.
    I mean jacksons orc's don't fit what Tolkien mentioned either, Adar atleast looks like an elf who became "evil and savage" unlike what have got in the jackson moves or the other RoP orcs.

There is no mention in the two towers afaik, its mentioned in the movies, because Jackson took the version that was published in the silmarilion, that was made by his son.
    I checked the two towers, that quote is in there word for word. as to yours It might be in the jackson movies I'm not gonna check those but it's not in the English Simarlion so unless you and jackson read it in a different langue he just made it up.

Of what they "were" suggest they were no longer somewhat elvish, and are more close to the monster/goblin like he describe later.
    Ya no it doesn't suggest they were monster/goblin like at all, all it points to that the elves saw elvish features in them if made evil.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Adar is literally an elf with a charred face, he does not share any characteristics whatsoever that Tolkien mention when talk about orcs. Thats why is dumb to say "they are showing orcs in a better light" talking about Adar, when he is straight up an elf in appearance. Or for the show, a Moriondor
    Black blood is a characteristic shared with Orcs. If an elf is generally seen as "good" then showing an Orc that looks like an elf can cast Orcs in a better light. You keep defeating your own argument by highlighting how Adar looks like an elf rather then a "evil" Orc.

There is no mention in the two towers book afaik, its mentioned in the movies, because Jackson took the version that was published in the silmarilion, that was made by his son.
    The quote from Treebeard is in the books. Tolkien references that scene in letter 153 from 1954.

"Treebeard does not say that the Dark Lord 'created' Trolls and Ores. He says he 'made' them in counterfeit of certain creatures pre-existing. There is, to me, a wide gulf between the two statements, so wide that Treebeard's statement could (in my world) have possibly been true. It is not true actually of the Orcs – who are fundamentally a race of 'rational incarnate' creatures, though horribly corrupted, if no more so than many Men to be met today. Treebeard is a character in my story, not me; and though he has a great memory and some earthy wisdom, he is not one of the Wise, and there is quite a lot he does not know or understand. He does not know what 'wizards' are, or whence they came (though I do, even if exercising my subcreator's right I have thought it best in this Tale to leave the question a 'mystery', not without pointers to the solution). Suffering and experience (and possibly the Ring itself) gave Frodo more insight; and you will read in Ch. I of Book VI the words to Sam. 'The Shadow that bred them can only mock, it cannot make real new things of its own. I don't think it gave life to the Orcs, it only ruined them and twisted them.' In the legends of the Elder Days it is suggested that the Diabolus subjugated and corrupted some of the earliest Elves, before they had ever heard of the 'gods', let alone of God."
    Last edited by rhorle; 2023-02-11 at 02:30 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

You do know that house of dragon isn’t on the top 15 list right? How could RoP not be close to it when it apperntly did better then it according to Nielsen.
    Because RoP is streaming only and many people watched House live. It also sells a service whereas people get prime for many other reasons than that show.

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you live in a 3rd world country where people die at 40 or something?
    Waoow, thats a little xenophobe of you buddy, calm down first
    he isn't close to looking like he dying.
    I didn't say he is close to dying, i said he looks like that in the show, he is 53, and in the show he looks like 70
    And Ya id say he look's more elvish then adar though mabye not by jackson's elves
    Lmao, sure you do.

The elf that gave Galadriel the recorrds look more gaunt than Adar ever will, dude look like that guy star trek
    I mean the show describes him as an orc so he fits by default even if he might not mesh with the others.
    No, Galadriel says he is a Moriondor, the elves who went to the dark side, that can be considered the 'first orcs', because they breed the actual orcs, but he doesn't look like one. Thats goes into speciation and the start of a new species, a wolf is not a dog, just because dogs were breed from wolves.

I mean jacksons orc's don't fit what Tolkien mentioned either, Adar atleast looks like an elf who became "evil and savage" unlike what have got in the jackson moves or the other RoP orcs.
    Jackson orcs fit more than Adar, by far.

Nowhere you see a guy like this:

And say he is "Savage" ( he doesn't even look gaunt in this pic) or imagine "yep" thats an orc"

The description of orcs are smaller than elves(with the exception of the uruk-hai that were breed with men), long arms, crooked frame, and a mouth filled with sharp teeth. Adar does not share ANY of those traits, and those are all traits we can see from the orcs in the movies.

Although the proper orcs in the show are better looking than the orcs from the movies, the only bad thing is they looking bone-white pale.

Ya no it doesn't suggest they were monster/goblin like at all, all it points to that the elves saw elvish features in them if made evil.
    goblins/orcs do have elvish features, the pointy ears, thats it

IF they saw goblin-like creatures running in the wild, with pointy ears, its not absurd to believe they were elves going savage

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No.

/10chars
    Except you are literally wrong pretty much everyone I know has prime for delivery maybe a quarter use the streaming at all and most of them are watching old multi season shows Grimm and Bones for example. Much like Netflix is currently promoting that they have all gazillion series of ncis because people want mindless popcorn.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Because RoP is streaming only and many people watched House live. It also sells a service whereas people get prime for many other reasons than that show.
    All streaming shows are a service that people get for other reasons than a singular show. Not all subscribers come just for one show on a streaming service. It is irrelevant that Prime Video is part of the Prime package. Because it isn't a statistic based on total subscribers to the service but of those that watched the show on a streaming service.

If Nielsen released a combined list from every platforms House of the Dragon might not have been in the Top 15 anyways. As shows that are in syndication would likely top the list. Some of those shows already top the Streaming lists.

7+ Year Old Account
    Waoow, thats a little xenophobe of you buddy, calm down first
    I didn't say he is close to dying, i said he looks like that in the show, he is 53, and in the show he looks like 70
    I really wonder if you have ever seen any one who's actually in there 70's.

No, Galadriel says he is a Moriondor, the elves who went to the dark side, that can be considered the 'first orcs', because they breed the actual orcs, but he doesn't look like one. Thats goes into speciation and the start of a new species, a wolf is not a dog, just because dogs were breed from wolves.
    ya the show disagrees with you and describes him as a orc there is no getting around that even if he doesn't look the like others.

Galadrial: You are one of them are you not? The Moriondor. The Sons of the Dark. The first Orcs.
    Adar: Uruk. We prefer "Uruk."

Jackson orcs fit more than Adar, by far.
    Tolkien's text disagree indicated by the quotes I've posted form the Silmarilion

goblins/orcs do have elvish features, the pointy ears, thats it
    Tolkien's elves don't have pointy ears in his actual works, I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2023-02-11 at 02:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Except you are literally wrong pretty much everyone I know has prime for delivery maybe a quarter use the streaming at all and most of them are watching old multi season shows Grimm and Bones for example. Much like Netflix is currently promoting that they have all gazillion series of ncis because people want mindless popcorn.
    NCIS has been on the air for 20 seasons so far. It is tied for 5th place on longest running scripted prime time television series in the United states. If it has one more season it will beat Gunsmoke (1955-1975) and claim 5th place. Why wouldn't Netflix promote a popular series?
    Last edited by rhorle; 2023-02-11 at 02:53 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I really wonder if you have ever seen any one who's actually in there 70's.
    Yeah, don't try to play like that when you are the one with bad eyesight saying Celebrimbor looks more elvish than Adar.

ya the show disagrees with you and describes him as a orc there is no getting around that even if he doesn't look the like others.
    So you are one of those people:

Tolkien's text disagree indicated by the quotes I've posted form the Silmarilion
    tolkien texts literally had a note that says "alter this, orcs are not elvish" in The Annals of Aman

And his countless descriptions of they being smaller than men, sallow, jagged teeth, etc.

Then how they can look elvish, if they don't have the one and only characteristic that elves possess that humans do not that could identify then as elves? lmao

Hence more to the idea that orcs actually came from men and not elves

15+ Year Old Account
    tolkien texts literally had a note that says "alter this, orcs are not elvish" in The Annals of Aman
    Right. They were not altered however so we are left with what the Author published and wrote about those published works. Tolkien wanted to re-write the entirety of the The Hobbit to change its story and tone to better for Lord of the Rings. He did not pursue that beyond a few chapters. We can't claim those few chapters as canon though because they did not happen. Just like the note in the margin.

Then how they can look elvish, if they don't have the one and only characteristic that elves possess that humans do not that could identify then as elves? lmao
    So you admit you lied when you said Celebrimbor in Rings of Powers does not look elvish. As he has pointy ears and that is the only characteristic that elves possess to set them apart from non-elves, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Tolkien said Elven ears were more pointed and leaf like than humans. It implies pointed as they can't be "more pointed" with having something that looks like a point. Leaves are often pointed as well. It is a semantics issue because people don't like the association pointy-ears have with other depictions of Elves in fantasy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, don't try to play like that when you are the one with bad eyesight saying Celebrimbor looks more elvish than Adar.
    I mean you think he's he looks like a dying man I don't think you should be talking about any one's eyesight.

So you are one of those people:
    I suggest you never look up some of the more extreme birth defects/heritable genes that we have in the real world that make people look vastly out of the norm.

The idea that there can't be huge variation down generations is just silly.

And his countless descriptions of they being smaller than men, sallow, jagged teeth, etc.
    I can't find a good version of the annal's of aman like i did with the Silmarillion but from what I did find he was seemingly referring to origin not a description, he also wrote in a later chapter (Myths Transformed) "there remains a terrible possibility of an Elvish strain in orcs." which is what he put both in the twin's towers and the Silmarillion.

If you can find better quotes in full context or a good version of it then please link/quote it other wise it just sounds like his back and forth on there origin which ended in favor of elves in his actual works.

Hence more to the idea that orcs actually came from men and not elves
    again unless I am mistaken, Tolkien never describes elves having pointed ears to a notable degree in his actual works, So it's not the only characterstic that could identify elves as it's something elves don't have, nor do orc come from men as already covered in both the two towers and the Silmarillion.

So every thing you are saying is just based off false notations while the passage in question still tells us that actual elves thought orcs could have been savage evil elves not a variation of humans and certainly not oatmeal monsters like jackson did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Tolkien said Elven ears were more pointed and leaf like than humans. It implies pointed as they can't be "more pointed" with having something that looks like a point. Leaves are often pointed as well. It is a semantics issue because people don't like the association pointy-ears have with other depictions of Elves in fantasy.
    I did see that referenced but not actually linked to any actual works and found other things that would dispute it like this for example.

The Eldar grew in bodily form slower than Men, but in mind more swiftly. They learned to speak before they were one year old; and in the same time they learned to walk and to dance, for their wills came soon to the mastery of their bodies. Nonetheless there was less difference between the two Kindreds, Elves and Men, in early youth; and a man who watched elf-children at play might well have believed that they were the children of Men, of some fair and happy people. For in their early days elf-children delighted still in the world about them, and the fire of their spirit had not consumed them, and the burden of memory was still light upon them.

This same watcher might indeed have wondered at the small limbs and stature of these children, judging their age by their skill in words and grace in motion. For at the end of the third year mortal children began to outstrip the Elves, hastening on to a full stature while the Elves lingered in the first spring of childhood. Children of Men might reach their full height while Eldar of the same age were still in the body like to mortals of no more than seven years. Not until the fiftieth year did the Eldar attain the stature and shape in which their lives would afterwards endure, and for some hundred years would pass before they were full-grown.
    which obviously doesn't point towards them having pointed ears as kid's could be mistaken as either race, unless of course some one wanted to say there ear's point at 15 when thye "attain the stature and shape in which their lives would afterwards endure"

but as you said I think it's just pointless semantics and the idea that the elves would be talking about the orc's just having pointy ears and that's what makes them look like "savage and evil" elves is incredibly silly.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2023-02-11 at 04:07 AM.