Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Did you know you can earn gold without buying it as for tokens ???

Crazy right ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post

Crazy right ?
    So many people seem to have forgotten this. But then that would mean they have to play the game, the horror !
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    No you can't - at least not within the structures allowed by the game(and if you are going to go there, it has nothing to do with tokens). That's the flaw in what you're saying. You can use gold as a proxy for money for a very specific set of things. But there is no way that you can convert your gold into actual money.
    come on, for real? If you would pay your sub either way than you save RL money. Yes, I know you can not take your money and exchange it directly against RL currency but it still has a real official value now that puts RL price tags on ingame items.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post

Crazy right ?
    that has nothing to do with the topic at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    It doesn't cost 195€, but it has an opportunity cost of 195€.
    this guy gets it.

I don't care about opportunity cost because I play the game to have fun. So, it's no big deal for me

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    come on, for real? If you would pay your sub either way than you save RL money. Yes, I know you can not take your money and exchange it directly against RL currency but it still has a real official value now that puts RL price tags on ingame items.
    Yes, of course I am for real. Your claim is that "But now you can buy money with gold". That is factually incorrect.

Of course it is possible to effectively convert some gold into real money by saving money you would otherwise have spent. I never suggested otherwise. But the point about this is that it is limited. Once you have more than enough gold to buy all the things you have a genuine need for from the shop (ie stuff you would actually have paid real money for had tokens not existed), then the capacity to convert your gold into actual money becomes non-existent and that gold no longer has a real monetary value attached to it.

So bringing this back to your original question, if buying a mount for 5M gold means that I will have to spend real money to pay my sub, then yes, in that specific scenario, the existence of tokens would deter me from buying the mount.

But I have to question the general validity of this scenario. Most people who do convert gold to money in this way make more (way more) gold in the game than they need to spend to buy tokens on a monthly basis. And yeah, sure, I suppose there are some people who make enough gold to buy tokens (and not necessarily every month) but not enough to accumulate gold in game. But let's be honest, these people wouldn't be likely to ever have enough to buy a 5M mount anyway.

Which is why, to answer your OP for me, I don't refrain from buying things like a 5M mount on account of the existence of tokens. Because for me, that gold that I have accumulated above and beyond what I am spending on my tokens has no real monetary value, because I cannot, by means of tokens, in the literal sense, and within the ToU, buy money for gold.

TL;DR: Yes, I do get it. The existence of tokens, and the associated monetary value thereof, can be a deterrent to spending your gold on other stuff in the game, if you choose to keep thinking of the monetary value you are incurring every time you spend gold. But for the majority of people who do buy tokens to pay for their sub, this is a non-issue because we have way more gold than we can practically use on tokens.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2018-05-17 at 08:31 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    How much is that in American?
    Their tokens are around 200k, so that's 500 Euros required for them to get 5mil gold via tokens.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm very much in the just not care category. I don't even think about it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."