Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmonkey View Post
    Some of those other games may not have native controller support, but perhaps you could put together a decent setup for them through Steam?
    uh i doubt it. theres a specific program someone made for point and click games like diablo, LoL, PoE, etc that creates a dedicated zone for your thumbstick to control the cursor with and when using the thumbstick the cursor cant move outside of that zone, it also spam right clicks as your thumbstick is tilted so you move/attack/loot, and it works okay, but its still very clunky and not worth relearning it after having played d3 on xbox where it just worked. steam profiles and xpadder and stuff wont give enough customization to make it work.

WoW has too many abilities for the game to work for consoles. You'd have to reduce each class to maybe 5-6 abilities each to make the game workable on any gaming console.
    Uh, I highly suggest reading the first post I made on this thread, it should be on page 16. I'm progging mythic argus with an xbox controller rn, I linked a stream vod wher I healed a eoa+20, I have 4 other characters close to 970 ilvl and can play each of them at a mythic raiding level. Of course maybe some people can't do it because they simply dont want to believe it's possible.

And lets be real, most specs have no more than 4-5 core rotational abilities that they need to have easily accessible. add a few more for dps cooldowns, defensive/movement button and interrupt.

A standard xbox/ps4 gamepad has 15 buttons, using the triggers as modifiers (LT = shifdt, RT = alt, LT+RT = shift+alt) that gives 60 keybinds on a controller, more keybinds than I used before I swapped to kb/m. Granted I only use the middle buttons for UI oriented stuff (map, character panel, talents, spellbook, zoom in/out) theres still plenty other easy to hit buttons for more spells than any spec has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neps View Post
    WoW has too many abilities for the game to work for consoles. You'd have to reduce each class to maybe 5-6 abilities each to make the game workable on any gaming console.

I also happen to know based on my own line of work that no, there is absolutely no way World of Warcraft is hitting consoles. Games like Overwatch and Diablo 3? Yes, that works. You have a small number of abilities to use, not 20+. So those games work perfectly fine for consoles. WoW would have to change in many fundamental ways to become viable for consoles (such as reducing each class/spec to 4-6 abilities to work with controllers) and this wouldn't be possible without effectively killing the game. Blizzard are that not stupid. At least, I hope not based on the pruning we seem to be seeing with each expansion... however there isn't just class abilities to consider, all the in-game options..

WoW is a PC game, through and through. It's just not happening, no matter how you look at it. So don't alarm yourselves.
    Ahem past posts

Ffxiv

Consoleport mod

List goes on and on .games woth FAR more skills then modern wow are on console and work great.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla was one button rotation with 50 keys of useless chaff. No one in their right mind thinks vanilla was good design except these weird fucks with fake nostalgia who weren't there.

Mash A for Frostbolt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ahem past posts

Ffxiv

Consoleport mod

List goes on and on .games woth FAR more skills then modern wow are on console and work great.
    Well RIP WoW then if that happens. I really don't think Blizzard are gonna do it, personally. They have plenty of other IPs they can port to console as already done and I'm happy for them to stick with those or produce new console games. If they do it for WoW I would at least hope separate servers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRemedy View Post
    Vanilla was one button rotation with 50 keys of useless chaff. No one in their right mind thinks vanilla was good design except these weird fucks with fake nostalgia who weren't there.

Mash A for Frostbolt.
    I was there. The game was fun. It's nostalgia mostly though - and agree with you, not the best design.

But it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmonkey View Post
    Some of those other games may not have native controller support, but perhaps you could put together a decent setup for them through Steam?
    uh i doubt it. theres a specific program someone made for point and click games like diablo, LoL, PoE, etc that creates a dedicated zone for your thumbstick to control the cursor with and when using the thumbstick the cursor cant move outside of that zone, it also spam right clicks as your thumbstick is tilted so you move/attack/loot, and it works okay, but its still very clunky and not worth relearning it after having played d3 on xbox where it just worked. steam profiles and xpadder and stuff wont give enough customization to make it work.

Uh, I highly suggest reading the first post I made on this thread, it should be on page 16. I'm progging mythic argus with an xbox controller rn, I linked a stream vod wher I healed a eoa+20, I have 4 other characters close to 970 ilvl and can play each of them at a mythic raiding level. Of course maybe some people can't do it because they simply dont want to believe it's possible.

And lets be real, most specs have no more than 4-5 core rotational abilities that they need to have easily accessible. add a few more for dps cooldowns, defensive/movement button and interrupt.

A standard xbox/ps4 gamepad has 15 buttons, using the triggers as modifiers (LT = shifdt, RT = alt, LT+RT = shift+alt) that gives 60 keybinds on a controller, more keybinds than I used before I swapped to kb/m. Granted I only use the middle buttons for UI oriented stuff (map, character panel, talents, spellbook, zoom in/out) theres still plenty other easy to hit buttons for more spells than any spec has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well RIP WoW then if that happens. I really don't think Blizzard are gonna do it, personally. They have plenty of other IPs they can port to console as already done and I'm happy for them to stick with those or produce new console games. If they do it for WoW I would at least hope separate servers.
    First of all I agree with you. I do not believe wow will be on consoles . But if they did they would not have to separate the servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither do i but saying it couldn't be done and pretty easily is just silly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XbcTV View Post
    yeah, well, i mean i wouldnt go out of my way to play them on console i just wish theyd get some native gamepad support. the only reason i play wow with an xbox controller is because of an injury, i lost a lot of feeling in my hands and xbox controllers are just so much more familiar, they sit in the hand so well, muscle memory goes a lot further on it than kb/m.

what pisses me off is when companies port games from pc to console and doesnt give the option for gamepad mode on the pc version. blizz did this with diablo3, path of exile did it as well, im sure many others. i want to play diablo on pc, i wanna play hots, LoL, dota, Path of Exile, Pillars of eternity, all this shit, but I cant. WoW is very simple to play with a gamepad, point and click games are not easy at all to set up, they only work when the developer allows it to work.

ok ill get off my soapbox now.
    It isn't exactly native gamepad support, but I know there's an addon to allow WoW to be played via a PS4 controller assuming you have a dongle/usb adaptor, what ever it's called. Not sure about for xbox controllers though.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    It isn't exactly native gamepad support, but I know there's an addon to allow WoW to be played via a PS4 controller assuming you have a dongle/usb adaptor, what ever it's called. Not sure about for xbox controllers though.
    If you mean consoleport it works with

Steam

Ps4

Xbox one

Xbox 360

And you can probably use third party ones too.

Deleted
    if this happens it would be the real wow killer for me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Technically every game has controller support if you launch through Steam. Could even use a NES controller if you wanted with little hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Highly doubt it, But I would buy it if it did.

It would be great to play a stripped down WoW (no addons) and everyone be on a even playing field cause of it. I will admit it may take over my life if it did lol.
    You have the option to use same said addons so not sure why its any less "fair" now.

Unless you mean without DPS meters no one will see how bad you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    You have the option to use same said addons so not sure why its any less "fair" now.

Unless you mean without DPS meters no one will see how bad you are.
    Addon's are not optional in WoW on PC period, You are not going to be doing NM+ content without them. On console it would likely be its on server therefor no addon and you won't have some 13 year old screaming that you did 1% less damage then you should have.

Or be left out of groups because your not using some dumb ass addon that rates you.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Addon's are not optional in WoW on PC period, You are not going to be doing NM+ content without them. On console it would likely be its on server therefor no addon and you won't have some 13 year old screaming that you did 1% less damage then you should have.

Or be left out of groups because your not using some dumb ass addon that rates you.
    i have done mythic raiding in WOD HFC with no addons, still done all heroic content with no add-ons, haven't cared to bother to do any mythic content except dungeons STILL WITH NO ADD ONS!

still play better then most people with add-ons........

add-ons only make it easier to play bad and still have good numbers, you only NEED add-ons if your pushing world first raiding content were you want every .1% / nanosecond advantage.......

EDIT:
    ok i lied, i do use one add-on 3D PORTRAITS! which changes gameplay zero bits
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2018-05-24 at 12:07 AM.

I do Normal just fine as a healer without them. And Heroic.

It's not hard to watch a video guide on the bosses.

My WoW client right now has zero addons.

Addons do help I won't deny that. They are most certainly optional however. I don't use them because I don't need them and it's just clutter for me.

I'm just going to go over a few misconceptions as I play WoW on PC and FFXIV on console.

Firstly, if WoW releasing on a console has you physically upset (WoW releasing on a console will kill it for me) maybe you should take a break from the game and reevaluate your life.

Not enough buttons on console

It's been said in this thread but I'll repeat it: Modifiers.

L2 + X, Circle, Triangle, Square, Dpad directions = 8 buttons
    R2 + X, Circle, Triangle, Square, Dpad directions = 8 buttons
    L2 first then R2 + X, Circle, Triangle, Square, Dpad directions = 8 buttons
    R2 first then L2 + X, Circle, Triangle, Square, Dpad directions = 8 buttons

That's 32 buttons. I bet my bottom dollar I can do any of those combinations in a comparable time to anything on a keyboard.

Also, you can do L1 + X, Circle, Triangle, Square, Dpad directions to select up to 8 different profiles (if you have say a PvP profile, PvE profile or want to change to a different talent spec that focuses AoE during a raid.) To give you an example, my mount button is not on any of my 32 buttons on FFXIV, it's on a different profile as it's not needed during a combat situation. It's two button presses away.

Want to open your bags, view your character or get the main menu up? Diablo 3's console UI does this perfectly and would fit like a glove onto WoW. Simply press the right side of the touchpad and you're there.

WoW won't run on a PS4

If Skyrim runs on a PS4. WoW will run on a PS4. You might have slightly longer loading times, it probably won't run at 60fps and it might slow down during a world boss fight but it will run perfectly fine. If you have a NASA spec PC and are lucky enough to get 120fps constantly then you will notice. Us knuckledragging console users, however, will not. It will run the same as every other game.

Healing will be impossible on a controller

This complaint holds some merit. The max raid size in FFXIV is 8 people (2 tanks, 2 healers and 4 dps by default). They also have Alliance raids which is 3 teams of 8. You can't heal outside of your group but all 3 groups have to work together. To anyone that hasn't played FFXIV but has WoW experience, this might seem really foreign but you don't actually notice it all that much. If anything, it makes raiding seem slightly more fluid as you're not trying to juggle too much at once but it's still a team effort. Also, FFXIV still has tank/dps stances to account for the fact that there's 6 tanks in the group.

Selecting a target to heal is as simple as scrolling through the party list with the Dpad. You can focus target to quickly acquire your main target again. Now the problem arises in 25 man raiding. That's a long list to scroll through and isn't practical on a controller. The only way I can think of getting around this is limiting all raiding on a console to 10 man.

I don't want those mouth breathing, controller loving freaks on my server!

Trust me, as a PC and console gamer, I don't want to be on PC servers either. The chances of WoW coming to console is virtually nonexistent but in the off chance it does, they should definitely have their own servers. I've been kicked from a dungeon before because someone didn't like my transmog. I can't imagine the toxicity if someone can detect what platform you're playing on.

Closing comments

Do you know what makes me a little tin-hatty? Blizzard announced classic servers but we haven't really heard much more about them. They said how they wouldn't be true classic (like old talent trees and abilities) just Vanilla WoW with the classes in their current state. Now, can you imagine picking up WoW for the very first time on console with all 6 or 7 expansions and missing all the end game for each expansion? You can get anyway with it on PC as it's an old game and people know it but it'll be a brand new game for some that have never owned (gasp!) a PC. The structuring would be all over the place.

My thoughts? They'll release Vanilla servers for PC along with a console port. The console port will be Vanilla but they will release each expansion over time to allow people to experience all of the older content at current level. This especially holds true with the addition of scaled leveling.

The signs are there but we'll just have to wait and see.

Just so people know, the trimming back of abilities could also be a sign of them moving to console however unless they add native controller support to PC I doubt it will happen.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

I think it could work, as long as they're on separate servers so they can work out some additional balancing / pruning issues needed for PS4.