Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Screaming about being undocumented and threatening to call ICE? Yeah, totally not racist.
    He didn't "scream about being undocumented." He calmly stated as he left that he had a hunch that they were. There's nothing racist about having a hunch especially since he's probably dealt with more of them than you and I.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    No, it isn't. There is no official language.

Your honor I object to this line of questioning.
    Actually in 32 states it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CSINada View Post
    Isnt this in USA? I thought English is the offical language there, i guess its Spanish. Sorry about that, always glad to learn.
    You can be a sarcastic ass or you can try and actually learn something considering the USA has no official language. So you're still wrong, it's not Spanish either. But maybe try learning Navajo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    He didn't "scream about being undocumented." He calmly stated as he left that he had a hunch that they were. There's nothing racist about having a hunch especially since he's probably dealt with more of them than you and I.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not official federally and this took place in New York which does not have an official language.

Also stating you believe someone is undocumented based on their race is racist.
    Last edited by DrStiglit; 2018-05-17 at 02:15 AM.

1. You were talking about a national language, referring to the US as a whole, of which there is no national language.
    2. States that do have English granted an official status is applied only to official/government documents and what language public services are provided in, not what languages people are allowed to speak in casual conversation.
    3. New York is not one of those states, so the point is moot either way.
    4. Louisiana has also granted French official language status. Louisiana is now in Europe. That's the LAW.

I am acquainted with a guy who acts something like this out here in Portland, he's also a lawyer from NY. He's going back to NY because "he doesn't like it here" but really the problem is that no one likes HIM here. Bye. Not sure if that sort of behavior is considered more acceptable there or not.

Behavior like this isn't super uncommon though, I've seen people act absolutely horribly towards waitstaff before.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Lawyers with shitty ethics don't stay lawyers for very long.

Good lawyers win by using the law to their advantage. Bad lawyers win using unethical tactics that end up fucking everyone over.

Anything you do in public should reflect on anything else you do in public. I wouldn't want to hire someone who was known for going on racist rants in fast-food lines. Imagine how that will look for you next case: You hire this guy, you're preparing to go to court, he goes off while getting a burger at McDonalds, and gets slapped with 30 days jail time for a public disturbance, then he can't make the court appearance, you have to hire a new attorney last-minute.

No, you're just a racist shitbag like this guy.
    Yeah so I used to think the way you did, and then I went to law school. You learn very quickly that law isn't about righting wrongs/seeking justice, it is about winning cases, and I went to a law school where a disproportionately large amount of law students seek employment in nonprofits/social justice-y issues like animal rights and environmental law.

Lawyers/judges themselves make law even more depressing. One lawyer early on gave me a rundown of which judges in a particular court could be bought and which ones could not, that was a sad day for me.

I do think this will harm his reputation in the long term, clearly it has already had an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    reputation destroyed?

i don't see the problem? shouldn't affect his career at all.

people don't hire lawyers because they're looking for a nice person with a good moral compass, they want a piece of shit that will do anything shit on anyone they can to lower their fine/jail time/get them off the hook that's a laywers job.
    For every lawyer getting someone off the hook there is one on the other side of the courtroom trying to get the conviction.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

That wasn't what I would call "calmly stated". In addition, his 'hunch' led him to believe and claim that he's paying for their welfare. Can I go screaming in Germany that I "think you guys are Nazis", and people would take that kindly?

He got triggered for employees at a private establishment speaking in the second most popular language of his country, and proceeded to make PUBLIC statements about his assumptions.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lawyer who doesn't understand the 1st Amendment?

Is the bar (exam) that low nowadays?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

We probably need to go find James Cameron.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    What bothers me most about this is VERTICAL VIDEO. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3993056

I highly approve of this douchebag getting his comeuppance.
    You want to know what else? This isn't the first time this douchenozzle has done this apparently.

Calling other citizens "fucking foreigners" and calling the cops on them because this Schlossberg dumbass ran into them.

Isnt this in USA? I thought English is the offical language there, i guess its Spanish. Sorry about that, always glad to learn.
    Nope, sorry... it's not the official language. Neither is the official language.

Yes, that makes you ignorant, and him racist.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

And when they are dealing with the government in those states, feel free to whine. Until then, stop being a racist asshole. Just a thought.

reputation destroyed?

people don't hire lawyers because they're looking for a nice person with a good moral compass, they want a piece of shit that will do anything shit on anyone they can to lower their fine/jail time/get them off the hook that's a laywers job.
    Partially true, but in the end, his reputation will depend on whether or not he is able to win cases. I imagine most people don't really care if the guy is friendly or rude as long as they win. It's not like this guy is running for office.

Still, stuff like will still have an impact, especially if he ends up getting sued over it. Even people who don't care about his moral compass will still be able to see that this guy has a temper problem and a lack of self-control, which are not necessarily promising traits for any profession.

That said, I haven't actually watched the video in question; it might not even be that bad. Media tends to over-exaggerate things.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2018-05-17 at 02:32 AM.

So you have no response so you double down on calling people a racist. Nothing this guy did was racist.
    Yeah, it really is. If you don't see it, it isn't surprising with your posting history. The fact that you spend a lot of time defending Trump, shows a lot about you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    He heard them speaking Spanish, and claimed that that meant they were in the country illegally, his tax was paying their welfare, and they should speak English for his benefit.

It's hard to think of a more stock standard example of racially driven stereotyping.

But, since this is the internet and we do things for funzies here; why don't you go ahead and explain how making derogatory assumptions about unrelated facets of someone's life based purely on the language that you overhear them speak to each other at a restaurant counter and proceeding to shout those assumptions to the general area is in any way not the pure definition of racism.
    What is sad, is that his law office welcomes people that speak Spanish and French and a couple others I couldn't read. Think one was Japanese and the other something else.

- - - Updated - - -

No, we don't have ANY official language.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah actually he was screaming at them for being undocumented, especially since the fucker threatened to call ICE on them.

And it doesn't matter what 32 states say, it doesn't prevent them from speaking any language they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Partially true, but in the end, his reputation will depend on whether or not he is able to win cases. I imagine most people don't really care if the guy is friendly or rude as long as they win. It's not like this guy is running for office.
    There is the risk though that he doesn't get much opportunity to show whether or not he can win if people don't give him the chance. Even ignoring the content, him willing to let his bias so rapidly overcome any semblance of critical thinking could turn potential clients off. He becomes upset by something completely irrelevant to him, makes a series of conclusions with no evidence, spits out some contradictory statements, leaves. Not someone I'd want in my corner.
    Last edited by Enthusiastic Steward; 2018-05-17 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

Trump University made lawyer. I mean, it was in New York City wasn't it?

I just wonder, you boys hate him for being so offensive or for demanding usage of national language in restaurant by its employees?
    The dude was way over reacting but he did have a point. I hate it when i go somewhere to eat and service is in spanish and there's no one that speak english either. I never understood why people would move to a country but never bother to learn the language, this is just lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    English isn't the national language...

I love it when people try and defend racist nationalists... it's adorable.
    No you're right, the constitution was written in Spanish. Sorry about that.

- - - Updated - - -

English isn't the national language...

I love it when people try and defend racist nationalists... it's adorable.
    No you're right, the constitution was written in Spanish. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    There is the risk though that he doesn't get much opportunity to show whether or not he can win if people don't give him the chance. Even ignoring the content, him willing to let his bias so rapidly overcome any semblance of critical thinking could turn potential clients off. He becomes upset by something completely irrelevant to him, makes a series of conclusions with no evidence, spits out some contradictory statements, leaves. Not someone I'd want in my corner.
    This is definitely true, but I'm assuming that isn't the case because they implied he had a reputation to ruin in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Renedric View Post
    The dude was way over reacting but he did have a point. I hate it when i go somewhere to eat and service is in spanish and there's no one that speak english either. I never understood why people would move to a country but never bother to learn the language, this is just lazy.
    But these people spoke English AND Spanish. They just happened to be speaking Spanish to other customers who spoke Spanish.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Lawyers with shitty ethics don't stay lawyers for very long.

Good lawyers win by using the law to their advantage. Bad lawyers win using unethical tactics that end up fucking everyone over.

Anything you do in public should reflect on anything else you do in public. I wouldn't want to hire someone who was known for going on racist rants in fast-food lines. Imagine how that will look for you next case: You hire this guy, you're preparing to go to court, he goes off while getting a burger at McDonalds, and gets slapped with 30 days jail time for a public disturbance, then he can't make the court appearance, you have to hire a new attorney last-minute.

No, you're just a racist shitbag like this guy.
    i didn't agree with what he did? you idiot shitbag

I found this part particularly amusing:

Schlossberg, 42, is a registered Republican and 2016 donor to President Trump's campaign. His company bio claims he is fluent in Spanish and conversational in French.
    reputation destroyed?

They hire them on their ability to argue a case, which he rather hilariously failed at.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    So, he's screaming and crying about how his tax dollars pays for immigrants welfare.. against people he's calling immigrants.. while they are working and doing their jobs right then and there?

oh my, this is a new level of mental gymnastics.
    Yeah I thought it was particularly funny watching cognitive dissonance in real time.

Schrodinger's immigrants right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    the US doesnt have an official language. If I remember my history correctly we were 1 vote from it being German
    Apparently this is an urban legend, though the reality isn't that far off:

An urban legend, sometimes called the Muhlenberg legend after Frederick Muhlenberg, states that English only narrowly defeated German as the U.S. official language. In reality, the proposal involved a requirement that government documents be translated into German.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German..._language_myth

- - - Updated - - -

The guy is literally whining about people speaking Spanish. Would you rather they just called him a bigoted xenophobic nationalist who doesn't like Hispanics?

I love watching people defend racists, it's adorable.
    You gotta use their correct terms of self-identification. They're very touchy about that, these bigots.

Maybe someone should make an alphabetical spectrum for them kekeke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.