Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    250 dollars for electricity?

What kind of an apartment(house) do you live in? You can't consume that much electricity if you live alone in a condo. Unless you are growing weed.
    Mining cryptocurrency.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    250$ per month? How? My electricity bill for april was 173 sek, which is almost 20$, 2 room 63 sqm apartment. How do you pay more than 10 times what I pay?
    Mellan 2100-2300kr. Se ovan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Time to start being an adult and set an adequate time to wake up, and actually get up when your alarm goes off.

I don't understand why people snooze alarms, it's not like after the 4th snooze you feel any better about getting up, get up on the first ring. You'll feel better earlier than if you snooze like a grade schooler.
    Not being able to wake up as easily as others have nothing to do with "not being an adult".

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Not as simple as "just fix it". My routine is actually quite regulated and I try my best to get a good quality of sleep.

Yeah, those things don't always work. I jog 3 times a week, go to the gym 3 times a week, only drink water on weekdays, don't eat junk (apart from odd takeaway on weekend) and I'm rarely on the computer nowadays and make sure to have 1 hour off of close electrics before bed. I do watch TV before bed, but that actually helps me as it's far away to not keep me awake, helps me relax as I normally put something comforting on, and generally puts me at ease. Not to mention I've not watched TV before bed before and I was actually worse as I'm relaxed and in bed ready when I am and feeling cosy.

It's easy for people to say things like "GO TO BED EARLIER" when they have no idea what it's like to not be able to sleep properly, just like how I don't understand social anxiety or depression problems. It's something you have to experience yourself, really...

I don't have insomnia, I don't have a chronic disease, I just struggle to sleep a lot of the time for a healthy, uninterrupted 8 hours, and it catches up with you bloody quickly.
    Have you tried to find out why you can't relax without tv? Like counseling?

One of the top recommendation of those working in the field is separating bedroom/sleep and tv.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    That is a very stupid question.
    You're a stupid question!

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Mining cryptocurrency.

- - - Updated - - -

Mellan 2100-2300kr. Se ovan.

- - - Updated - - -

Not being able to wake up as easily as others have nothing to do with "not being an adult".
    It has to do with discipline. Something you usually gain as you age.

15+ Year Old Account
    It has to do with discipline. Something you usually gain as you age.
    We all have different bodies. Some people are African, some are Caucasian, some are Asian.
    Did you know that most Asian people are lactose intolerant? I guess hard discipline will fix that.

We all have different bodies. Some people are African, some are Caucasian, some are Asian.
    Did you know that most Asian people are lactose intolerant? I guess hard discipline will fix that.
    Are you fucking high? Seriously....
    Sorry I didn't realize all white people are successful because they hardwired to wake up before all other races.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the time of the year. During the school year I get up at 4:45-5. I eat, shower, gather my things and then drive to school/work at 5:45-6.

I usually sleep 7-8 hours a day, and that's usually what's most important to me - how much sleep I get, not when. I've always been quite adaptable, which is handy when jet lag is involved. But as I've gotten older, I've definitely noticed a slowdown, and things work better with a nice schedule.

Right now I'm sleeping 2200/2300h to 0600h, mostly because my apartment doesn't have any blinds and I sleep better if there's actual dark out. It's not REQUIRED, and I've definitely had periods where I was more of a night owl, but I feel better if I sleep during the night, and it's easier to get the 7-8 hours in.

Most people who say they "just can't get up in the morning" simply don't sleep enough. There's some who have genuine trouble with their circadian rhythm, of course, either congenitally or because of conditions/medications. But those are a minority.

I usually shower in the morning. Normally I don't eat breakfast at all, which is not a good habit. If I do, it's usually oatmeal and a banana, mixed with yogurt. I don't drink coffee or any caffeinated beverages at all, aside from the occasional green tea.

My schedule varies, since I work at a university and don't teach every day, or at the same time. I often don't have to be in until 1200h or later. I do about 75% of my work from home, though. If it's writing/proofreading/editing, I like to do it in the morning when I'm fresh. Reading I save for lazy afternoons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you fucking high? Seriously....
    Sorry I didn't realize all white people are successful because they hardwired to wake up before all other races.
    Rofl, it was just an example on how different people are. It has nothing to do with waking up late because someone is lactose intolerant. I was taking a jab at your post that hard discipline can solve physical difference.
    Just because YOU can get up early, doesn't mean someone else have the same ability.
    But hey, close minded people have hard time thinking outside the box

I wish I could get up early!

Rofl, it was just an example on how different people are. It has nothing to do with waking up late because someone is lactose intolerant. I was taking a jab at your post that hard discipline can solve physical difference.
    Just because YOU can get up early, doesn't mean someone else have the same ability.
    But hey, close minded people have hard time thinking outside the box
    Any one can get up early. There is no biological anything that stops a person from getting up.
    If you can get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, you can wake up when your alarm rings. There is no difference between the 2.

Any one can get up early. There is no biological anything that stops a person from getting up.
    If you can get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, you can wake up when your alarm rings. There is no difference between the 2.
    There's some research that says otherwise. For example, within a group, it's actually a survival trait for people to be awake and asleep at different times. An "uncontacted" tribe, for example was studied, and over a long period of time there were only a couple times where nobody was awake, and those times lasted less than 20 minutes. The conclusion was, along with other studies: some people are just biologically wired to be awake at night; that people of different ages are inclined to be up at different times.

There's also a biological sleep cycle. Mine is about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I can actually guess what time it is when I wake up, because it'll be a multiple of that from when I went to bed. I'm better off with 2:15 than with 3 hours. If I get woken up at 3 hours, I'll be groggy and slow. Whereas if I naturally wake up at the end of one of my sleep cycles, I can leap out of bed.

Therefore, I try to time when I go to bed more than when I have my alarm set. I usually wake up 15-30 minutes before my alarm, fully awake and ready to get up. The alarm is really, for me, "this is the absolute latest, and if you're waking up to this, your day is fucked."
    Last edited by belfpala; 2018-05-18 at 02:30 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    There's some research that says otherwise. For example, within a group, it's actually a survival trait for people to be awake and asleep at different times. An "uncontacted" tribe, for example was studied, and over a long period of time there were only a couple times where nobody was awake, and those times lasted less than 20 minutes. The conclusion was, along with other studies: some people are just biologically wired to be awake at night; that people of different ages are inclined to be up at different times.

There's also a biological sleep cycle. Mine is about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I can actually guess what time it is when I wake up, because it'll be a multiple of that from when I went to bed. I'm better off with 2:15 than with 3 hours. If I get woken up at 3 hours, I'll be groggy and slow. Whereas if I naturally wake up at the end of one of my sleep cycles, I can leap out of bed.

Therefore, I try to time when I go to bed more than when I have my alarm set. I usually wake up 15-30 minutes before my alarm, fully awake and ready to get up. The alarm is really, for me, "this is the absolute latest, and if you're waking up to this, your day is fucked."
    I get all of this, I'm not disputing any of this. But when it comes to the simple task of getting up, it has nothing to do with biology, whether you are wired to be nocturnal, your alarm goes off, the only thing in control of your body is you. Just get up, that's it, there is no secret. Some days are harder than other, some days you get 30 minutes of sleep, some days 10 hours, but when it's time to wake, that's all in my control. I choose to snooze, roll over and get 9 more minutes of sleep, or I choose to get up. Biology isn't making that decision for me, my will is.
    Last edited by McFuu; 2018-05-18 at 02:44 PM.

I get all of this, I'm not disputing any of this. But when it comes to the simple task of getting up, it has nothing to do with biology, whether you are wired to be nocturnal, your alarm goes off, the only thing in control of your body is you. Just get up, that's it, there is no secret.
    My girlfriend calls me a "Ninja waker-upper" because I'm always up before my alarm, she doesn't notice that I left the room, and then when I come back to wake her up I'll already have a breakfast ready, etc.

She, on the other hand, is the kind that likes to stay in bed for a while after she wakes up.

There's nothing wrong with either approach, so long as you get your shit done at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    Have you tried to find out why you can't relax without tv? Like counseling?

One of the top recommendation of those working in the field is separating bedroom/sleep and tv.
    No, I can relax without TV, it's not like it's my sole life entertainment xD I mean that I find it easier to get into sleep mode with the TV on because I'm in bed comfy and chilled out watching the TV. Without it on, I'm either outside of my bedroom or in bed bored and not winding down. If you get what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    My girlfriend calls me a "Ninja waker-upper" because I'm always up before my alarm, she doesn't notice that I left the room, and then when I come back to wake her up I'll already have a breakfast ready, etc.

She, on the other hand, is the kind that likes to stay in bed for a while after she wakes up.

There's nothing wrong with either approach, so long as you get your shit done at some point.
    If I feel I'm going to be groggy in the morning, I simply set my alarm earlier so if I do snooze, I'm still waking up before I normally would. A big part of this is people keeping schedules, even on my days off, or days where I work overnight, I won't wake up any later than 8am. I may take a nap at some point, but I keep my natural waking up period to the day light hours.

If I feel I'm going to be groggy in the morning, I simply set my alarm earlier so if I do snooze, I'm still waking up before I normally would. A big part of this is people keeping schedules, even on my days off, or days where I work overnight, I won't wake up any later than 8am. I may take a nap at some point, but I keep my natural waking up period to the day light hours.
    I'm usually up at 5am.

For me, it's when I go to bed, not when I set my alarm. I'm fine if I get to bed at 2:30am, for example, because that's one complete sleep cycle. It may not be healthy, but it's much better than going to bed at 1:30am, because then I get up in the middle of a cycle.

The alarm is very much just, "if you're hearing this, you better be out the door."

As for my morning chores, to stay on topic, I really just have my basic hygiene and food needs. Otherwise, I have everything I need for the day set up the previous night. Grab and go, in the car, bye.

I have to be up at 4:30 am for work, and I quickly brush my teeth, clean up, grab my stuff and go.

I'm pushing the clock waking up even that late, so I move quick. Sometimes I leave so fast that I come home to my alarm going off because I forgot to shut it off and left the house between the time I hit snooze and the time it went off again, 9 minutes.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2018-05-18 at 04:56 PM.