Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Guardian Druid - Mage Tower Challenge

Just wanted to write a quick little help guide on this and what I found was most helpful.

First, I did not have the "required" legendary items for this. Ilvl was 926.

I had 18k nethershards saved up. I tried about 80 times a few months ago to no avail. I resubbed and within 3 days tried about another 80 times, but kept at it and did it. There's definitely a little luck you have to catch as well. knowing that one time the RNG Gods will be on your side with your persistence and effort.

As I first started doing the challenge, everything seemed SOOOO overwhelming, but like all things, you get familiar with it and the routine of Kruul's repeating eternity.

All those failures showed me when and where I messed up (sometimes it was not even my fault!). But pay attention to what kills you each time. I had to be very patient and not get too upset, even though I did at times want to destroy the universe around me *winks at Sargeras*.

At first, I could not get to phase 2.
    But I kept at it, and started to make it to phase 2 about 25% of the time. then 50% and soon just about every time.
    Phase 1 become easy, even though sometimes I would still get shot off.
    Now phase 2 seemed an impossible feat. Sometimes I would die immediately and I would not not why.
    As time went on it all started to make more sense.
    Then with a little bit of faith and prayer, Kruul was gone forever!

So here are my tips as to how I dealt with this baddy
    ***But first I want to say what I think was the key factor in me completing this... ***Was Bear Tartar***.
    This is a Food you can buy off AH for pretty cheap that gives you a movement speed buff for 5 seconds after you kill an enemy.
    The movement speed from things dying around you as you spam your AoE abilities will save your life.

Talents:
    Brambles
    Wild Charge
    Balance Affinity
    Typhoon
    Galactic Guardian
    Guardian of Elune
    Rend & Tear

Legends:
    Oakheart's Puny Quods
    Elize's Everlasting Encasement

Nothing too great, the 2 extra Thrashes probably helped, but I'm sure other Legends would have helped more, this was all I had though and highest Ilvl.

Phase 1:
    So I started as a Moonkin from max distance, would cast Sunfire and Moonfire as I back pedaled to the edge to bring Variss to the center where Velen could Melee him as he does more damage that way. Then he would normally cast drain life as he got right to Velen so bear form> interrupt> Thrash> back out> spam Moonfire as you circle the radius of his BAD aura. Sometimes you will have to back up change rotation and so on. Anytime you end up running into the circle try and get Thrash on Variss. I would circle the radius of his aura spamming
    As the eyes pop up try and Moonfire them dead. You get used to their timing.
    As the Infernals start spawning you can cast a moonfire or 2 on them, but leave that to your AoE's as you are attacking Variss and the Nethers.
    Keep you're main focus on Variss. ALWAYS interrupt Drain Life or all your efforts were for not. If you don't get it immediately that is okay, but more then 2 or 3 seconds 2 or 3 times will result in failure... :(
    As you charge in to interrupt was when I would spam Thrash and maybe get a Mangle or Maul off on him. Then back out. Continuing to Moonfire.
    When the purple gates come up you know Netherhorros are coming in about 4 seconds, so try and make it to where as you are circling you'll be near one as they spawn. You can hopefully Mangle & Maul one dead before they start moving. If I was not near one I would Moonfire to try and grab aggro. If you hit one before they start moving they will all charge you instead of Velen (sometimes....)
    They will charge Velen and you don't want that. Shortly after they charge out they will START to cast Netherstorm I think it's called. Make sure you wait for the cast to go off before grabbing a life orb or casting Incapacitating Roar. I grabbed Typhoon here as an extra way to interrupt.
    A neat trick for this I found was: if I took a bit of damage from the netherstorm before interrupting, I could Frenzied Regeneration for a nice bit of health back and not have to grab a life orb. But be careful, the damage is fast and hard.
    So with luck and persistence you will start making it to Phase 2 :D It got to a point where I could have an orb or 2 up as Phase 2 began.

Phase 2:
    WTF IS GOING ON!!
    So he comes in on his high horse thinking he is the SH*T! .. which he apparently is for a while..
    It seemed as if I'd never be able to complete this at first. Until I found the Bear Tartar.
    The main reason is the Green puddles of ooze he drops after he casts Annihilate and jumps at you. They do a lot of damage and slow you.
    I would be continuously jumping and kiting in a circle a little farther than halfway from the center and edge of the platform.
    ALWAYS interrupt Twisted Reflection or it's GG.
    Never stand still or you will get knocked off.
    Try and keep Ironfur up.
    Survival Instincts, Rage of the Sleeper, and Barkskin as each Annihilate comes (Not all at the same time).

Like I said, experience and a little bit of luck are what made this possible. So don't give up after failing 40 times, maybe take a break :D . Learn from all the things that kill you (or Velen). Never give up, Never surrender!

If you have more inquiries ask away, I'll help the best I can.

GL~!

~SpaceChrist

Instead of spending time wiping 80 times you could have just done some dungeons and raids for gear and save yourself a lot of stress!

I ran this with Ekoraith chest and boomkin shoulders and also the healer shield trinket and feral trinket (second boss) of Argus raid. If you have more gear it makes it a little easier.

Best thing about those two legendaries, you never need to enter the aura unless you have to interupt. There was times where I left it to 7 stacks to do a bit more DPS with the rage I had and then used a Velen orb and my shield trinket to let them drop. When going against infernals think of Dory from finding nemo and just keep swimming and move around the infernals and you wont get knocked back.

I found P2 VERY easy once you got the interupts down. Again just keep moving and use the Velen orbs and you'll have your new form
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    But then again, in the story, we're pretty brutal murder machines and not really "strategical assets". Just send us in and we'll murder everything in our way!
    So I guess the solution here is simple - we'll murder everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceChrist View Post
    Snip
    Or do none of this, level up to like 940 ilevel and 1 shot it. Honestly, I did this when it first came out at ilevel 908 and it was tough but there's really no point in posting a guide anymore. All of the challenges are stupidly easy with ilevel. I went back and did feral and all I did was spam brutal slash. I ignored every mechanic and even got hit by a boulder once and I still one shot it.

Signature Created by Jassinta

The tank challenge was really enjoyable. I would love to complete it on another class but I don't really have any tank on par with gear to try.

thank you, even though guardian is possibly the strongest tank atm, for people running it as OS it is really helpful

Just did it today after ~50 attempts. My first/only tank Challenge so a few those went to learning the encounter, but I definitely could of done it in less if I wasn't such a cheapskate.

925 ilvl, 2 lego's (Ekowraith & Sephuz), no set bonuses or fancy trinkets.

I haven't done many challenge modes on alts because I don't really care about the skins. On my Main, Paladin, I've only done Ret & Holy, but I did those without consumables.

Anyway, for Guardian, with 2 hours to go on the Mage Tower and running low on shards, I hit the AH. Flask, Food, Rune, Pots & Drums. Honestly, took 3 attempts after I buffed up, and the first 2 I got within 10% until Vaelen died.

Using the Pre Pot, and getting a few shots in as Boomy in the pull, I manged to transition to P2 with only a single infernal which made the world of difference. Then popped the 2nd pot + drums in P2.

For a Tank challenge, it really came down to a DPS race.

-edit-

At this point in the game, dare I say most Druid/Guardian mains would have done this a while ago. But those of us on alts, with little to zero Guardian experience, the odd tip here and there can certainly help. Not sure if Druid will ever be my main, but I'd hate to miss out on a variety of forms because they become unobtainable next expansion.
    Last edited by Dakara; 2018-06-06 at 12:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen this thread only after I made my own... but I want to leave a link to it here, since it's a good tip for the challenge:
    Helpful Macro for the Guardian Druid - Mager Tower Challenge

And here's just the video directly:

I did have a rather high item level with 936, but I never tanked as guardian druid and I don't main a druid either. So hopefully that will also help some of you who still want to do it. Who wouldn't want to loo like this as a druid anyway? That artifact skin bear form is so much cooler than the normal one, let's be honest
    Last edited by Neviriah; 2018-06-11 at 12:20 PM.

All guides should update their tank challenge with this little thing: P1 go crazy with all cds and nuke inquisitor.
    My friend spent 2h yesterday in the tank mage tower with it's DH. After I told him just do hero at start and nuke the crap out of him, he was able to do it in 1 try.
    We have very high ilvl these days and even with 915 you can do the make tower easily (dh and dk, maybe need a bit more for monk/druid).

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeoos View Post
    All guides should update their tank challenge with this little thing: P1 go crazy with all cds and nuke inquisitor.
    My friend spent 2h yesterday in the tank mage tower with it's DH. After I told him just do hero at start and nuke the crap out of him, he was able to do it in 1 try.
    We have very high ilvl these days and even with 915 you can do the make tower easily (dh and dk, maybe need a bit more for monk/druid).

I guess for classes /people that are struggling with phase 1, this could definitely help. Indeed ^_^

Although Kruul has more "chaotic" moments with all the things to look for. So It's really only worth using hero/bloodlust/drums when you are sure you do enough dmg to nuke Kruul again in second phase. But that's just my opinion of course

I tried this with a 925ilvl over the last couple days. I think I put in 80 attempts. Phase one is easy going but when I hit phase 2 I barely do any damage to Kruul and I usually die on the second or third annihilate. I made it to the 4th and 5th annihilate a couple of times but Kruul was still at like 17 mil. I tried using galactic guardian and incarn either way I get to around the same spot each time.

Is there an ideal order to use mitigation cooldowns on Kruul?

Should I ever NOT be running from Kruul? I usually go into phase 2 with 0 or 1 orb.

Is there a certain DPS rotation that should be used on him? How should the DPS be handled based on picking incarn or galactic guardian?

Quote Originally Posted by Hivey View Post
    Instead of spending time wiping 80 times you could have just done some dungeons and raids for gear and save yourself a lot of stress!
    Some peolle are lookong for the Challenge part of the Mage Tower. I tried to do them all at about 915 max ilvl, this gave me enough tries to learn the class and enjoy the challenge, trying different approaches and talents etc until some stick. If I get frustrated I just get more gear and finish it (such as damn healer challenges, only ones I hate because of the long phase 1).
    Just have hunter left to go, gonna grab my 2 random legos and head there at 910 since it should be a cake walk with hunter's damage, surv.

Quote Originally Posted by Bers3rk View Post
    I tried this with a 925ilvl over the last couple days. I think I put in 80 attempts. Phase one is easy going but when I hit phase 2 I barely do any damage to Kruul and I usually die on the second or third annihilate. I made it to the 4th and 5th annihilate a couple of times but Kruul was still at like 17 mil. I tried using galactic guardian and incarn either way I get to around the same spot each time.

Is there an ideal order to use mitigation cooldowns on Kruul?

Should I ever NOT be running from Kruul? I usually go into phase 2 with 0 or 1 orb.

Is there a certain DPS rotation that should be used on him? How should the DPS be handled based on picking incarn or galactic guardian?
    i ran luffas and eko with 4 set antorus,
    i also used incarnation.
    and balance affinity.

using incarnation at the start and spamming thrash while in Balance affinity, i was able to stand in one spot, and skull bash the life drain, i wasnt in Inquisitors health drop shit, and antyhign would die with direct moonfires regardless of which way i was facing.

try save orbs for p2 as they last 45 seconds (correct if wrong).
    so you can save 2-3 orbs for p3,
    they chunk the boss, they stun everything, and heal for a shitload.
    they also remove debuffs you get from kruul, (the heal one, not the annihilate).

try save all DEFENSIVE cds till p2 this includes FE and SV and BS.

once i knew that the orbs removed his heal debuff i got it next attempt 908ilvl guardian druid.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

I have mained a druid since 2004... and never tanked, I've been starting to use it more just so I can pass this challenge and I'm actually starting to enjoy doing it. I still suck at the challenge tho, I'm still on that phase where I can't pass the first stage of the challenge but progressing reaaally slow. Still, having fun forcing myself to tank heroics and stuff. Hopefully I'll get it before BfA. ilvl 930+.
    f signatures

Got to 2nd phase yesterday for my first time ever, that was at try #40+... fyi guys.. never forget to protect Velen on that second phase...I forgot and he died at 5% of the boss.. I almost f#$@#had it! I guess I panicked.
    Kept trying until I got 80 tries and called it a night.

06-26-18 update, got it last night!
    Last edited by escalprillo; 2018-06-26 at 01:32 PM. Reason: update
    f signatures

10+ Year Old Account
    Just did it on my hodgepodge geared Druid after I got the quest legendary ring. https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/zuljin/hugr
    No Flask or Drums
    Stat potion (prepot and during kruul)
    Bear Tartar
    Don't go over 5 stacks unless you need to interrupt Drain. Use Disorienting Roar on portal adds to stop their AoE from finish casting.

Most deaths were due to RNG from whenever Phase 1 boss decided to cast Drain causing me to waste orbs or screw up dropping stacks or where/when Velen drops orbs in phase 2. Rest of the RNG was Galactic Guardian procs, trying to sync up Concordance with Artifact power to burst damage, and my Shadow/Light Relic procs. Died at the very end and Korvas finished him off thankfully.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2018-06-28 at 05:43 AM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

In case it helps, here's my thoughts/advice. I did this back when I was about ilvl 925 if I remember right.
    Balance affinity is a must. Addin gin Ekowraith is very helpful, not just for range, but also for the raw stats.
    Brambles seemed most useful for the extra DPS.
    Galactic Guardian was very good, too.

Moonfire the piss out of the eyes from range, don't run to them. Usually 2 hits with Moonfire plus the dot will kill them.
    Use charge or skull bash to interrupt drain and dip into the pool to maintain thrash stacks on the boss, and get a Mango in here and there, and dump rage with maul.
    When the portals open, try to burn down the adds with AoE, stand on top of Velen for this.
    When the adds get to about 80% through their cast, either use a healing orb, or use Incap Roar to interrupt them. Thrash plus a Moonfire or two should kill them.
    Otherwise, just Moonfire everything like crazy and use FR to keep yourself topped.

The infernals were the hardest part for me. Use charge+crazy range buffs from Balance and Eko to move to an eye and keep the infernals in the pool so they are slowed.

Phase 2 is somewhat RNG. Avoiding the infernals during this part was very tricky. Save wild charge so you can use it to yo-yo back onto the platform if you have to.
    I used sleeper to regain some health after the big hit the boss does.
    Keep an eye on Velen. Setting him as your focus target can help.

Deleted
    Completed it today after boosting my druid last week to 110. My setup + tips:
    * No special legendaries, had the argus ring for crucible and class ring as only legendaries
    * 35 tries, I have never done any of the tank challenges which is why it took so long I think
    * Talent tree; 3 1 3 1 3 2 1 (resto affinity was legit useless, I think I forgot to switch to balance but I don't think this row helps unless you have luffas for even more range)
    * Agility flask, Bear tartare and prepots before varruss & pot on Kruul, use drums at start of Kruul phase
    * No set armour, no antorus* armour, all gear was 880-895, the one that mobs on argus drop. Others were relinquished gear, horn of valor heroic trinket and riftworld codex trinket, weapons were 949 (all relinquished relics + crucible ilvl upgrade with silithus questline)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The tactics are pretty basic but here goes. You might find something useful.

Phase 1: Run around in circles, seriously never stop. Dot up everything you see with moonfire and keep track of your debuff and go in whenever you can and chunk Varruss. You don't want 4 elementals slamming at the same time.
    *Moonfire the eyes
    *If you already have 4+ stacks and Varruss is casting drain life then USE INCAP ROAR to disorient him and cancel the cast because if you go in to interrupt you'll gain another 1-2 stacks which will kill you or make you use up SI
    *The horrors die with 1 or 2 thrashes and a mangle, but stack them up don't use them on 1 or 2 horrors. DONT PANIC WHEN THEY ARE CASTING IT, use incap roar if you can afford it or orb them.

Phase 2: Kruul
    * The most important tip for Kruul is to not panic. There is a lot going on and a lot you have to watch out for, but you have to keep your eye on his TWISTED REFLECTION, if this goes off you just have to jump off. (you can interrupt TR but not Annihilate, you can stun/orb/disorient the casts as well but save your interrupt for TR no questions asked)
    * Go into phase with all your defensives up and use a rotation for every annihilation. Mine was: 1 bark, 2 ROTS, 3 SI, 4 SI, 5 Bark (had the reduced bark talent)
    * You can stun and disorient him during annihilation and twisted reflection but if you stun the twisted reflection he will cast it again shortly so it's not an interrupt
    * Use your FR as much as you can but use it wisely and not just to use it ad random
    * Again, keep running in circles to avoid smashes and the puddle
    * Do as MUCH damage as you can, don't just delay his death by running around and casting moonfire hoping it will finish him off because it won't. If there is downtime, use all your rage on maul to damage him down quickly and then run around again.

This is all I can think of on the top of my head. I started doing it when I was 905 and got to Kruul 15m hp, at 919 I got him to 5m hp and 925 I killed him. Just keep trying and don't give up too quickly.
    Also: USE DBM: Challenges, BigWigs is useless for this challenge. DBM will alert you with loud sounds and will give timers of each cast/orb/annihilate so you can prepare in advance which can be very handy.

Pre-patch is coming soon so good luck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeoos View Post
    This, plus the new "Silthus" artifact buff.