Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    He voiced both of them, he wasn't able to do so anymore because of health problems.
    Uh, what? Metzen is still voicing characters (because he enjoys doing so), and he didn't retire because of health reasons. He retired because he wanted to retire. He just doesn't work on the stories anymore. Where are you getting this?

I mean Thrall is playing a prominent role in BfA, and you can be sure he'll have voice lines.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    You people need to think about one thing if you think that we will see a "softer" side of Genn towards the Horde: this epilogue takes place before Teldrassil. And you know (if you don't avoid spoilers) how that ends for Genn. So we will see how long this attitude will last.
    For the record, I never said we'd see a softer side of Genn towards the Horde. We've all seen the BFA announcement video where he is on the field with Anduin. And I don't think he SHOULD have a softer side towards the Horde. Gilneas wasn't just sacked by the undead, though they were the primary antagonists in the Battle, Orcs and others were around too. And at least one major Orc (Garrosh) was demanding it be taken.

Garrosh is a perfect example of a warmonger. He sent the Horde juggernaut rolling through every possible zone of both the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, and was practically salivating when they became aware of Pandaria. In his mind, he wanted the whole of Azeroth for Orcs, and no one was going to stop him.

Yes. Genn has some bloodlust for the Forsaken, there is no doubt about it. But where it was once generated towards ALL forsaken, he now has a greater understanding that the faction does not necessarily represent all if it's people. He's not a genocidal lunatic, as many make him out to be. Sure, he's broken and makes poor choices sometimes, but that's often what it is to be human. And the book reveals more of that side of him... that he's human and maybe some of his ire and hate is misdirected.

That said, he's still a leader and a military commander. He's fighting some very savage people. And in no way should he roll over and let me steamroll the Alliance. But he's not out to extinguish every trace of the Horde races for Alliance dominance. THAT would be warmongering.

He voiced both of them, he wasn't able to do so anymore because of health problems.
    Metzen didn't voice vol'jin only varian in that senario. still don't get why they killed of vol'jin other than to shoehorn in sylvanas.

that they killed of Varian and made Thrall a depresses character and put him in the background. metzen retirering might have some effect on that but not mutch.
    more likely the alliance was high overdue with a character death. and Varian just fit the bill. hes the Lothar to Anduin's Turalyon.

on the topic of gen greymane. hes a grumpy old man. who rightfully hates Sylvanas for and the crap she pulled. and who just realised that not all undead are bad. just the ones that blindly follow sylvanas. the only real warmonger in the alliance in Sky Captain Rogers. they should do more with her. so allaince finally get some good story. instead of this Reactive shtick We've been stuck with for over a decade.
    Last edited by bowlink; 2018-05-18 at 02:55 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't quote what isn't true. He retired because he felt it was time to do so. Maybe read an interview or two with him. Yes... the anxiety and stress he was feeling from his job certainly is health related... but you make it sounds like he had a massive coronary.

So, for the record:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    You people need to think about one thing if you think that we will see a "softer" side of Genn towards the Horde: this epilogue takes place before Teldrassil. And you know (if you don't avoid spoilers) how that ends for Genn. So we will see how long this attitude will last.
    Nope, it turns out that Mia Greymane even after Teldrassil is still alive. She even got new voice lines according to wowhead.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Uh, what? Metzen is still voicing characters (because he enjoys doing so), and he didn't retire because of health reasons. He retired because he wanted to retire. He just doesn't work on the stories anymore. Where are you getting this?

I mean Thrall is playing a prominent role in BfA, and you can be sure he'll have voice lines.
    You're insane with a warped perception of reality. In his retirement post he said he was retiring because of health, including stress problems, he just had surgery a month or two ago and said he's coming back in a smaller regard from after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Don't quote what isn't true. He retired because he felt it was time to do so. Maybe read an interview or two with him. Yes... the anxiety and stress he was feeling from his job certainly is health related... but you make it sounds like he had a massive coronary.

So, for the record:

Don't quote when you have no idea what you're talking about: https://kotaku.com/chris-metzen-on-l...ani-1789047653

He retired because of his failing health.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

You're insane with a warped perception of reality. In his retirement post he said he was retiring because of health, including stress problems, he just had surgery a month or two ago and said he's coming back in a smaller regard from after that.
    Then I heard something different, so shoot me. I understood it was because he wanted to spend time with his family. I did hear about him being stressed out, but I didn't assume it was due to 'health' reasons, nor that it was being considered a 'health problem' itself. Never heard anything about the 'health problems,' but I definitely knew for a fact he was still voicing characters.

That said, I'm posting on MMO-Champion, so being insane is a bit of a prerequisite in the first place, right?

When the Forsaken were being portrayed as more or less victims of prejudice from both the Alliance and the bulk of the Horde, they were seen as pitiable so people would villainize Genn. I did too, because honestly while yes Sylvanas did kill Liam, otherwise she had faced the brunt of Garrosh's cruelty and wanted little more than to keep Lordaeron for herself. It didn't help his image when he was the primary proponent for war against the Horde when the Horde had done little wrong in Legion.

These days, circumstances have changed. We're seeing more of Genn and it shows that while yes he's bitter and haggard, he also has an extremely kind side and has grown close to Anduin, almost serving as a father figure in the absence of Varian. Yes he's a bit aggressive but he is a worgen after all. I do kinda see him in a new light with the recent lore showing his softer and more civilized side, but it's a shame that the Horde-Alliance war likely can't end as long as he lives.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I've always seen Genn as a bit of a tragic figure. He genuinely means well and he's trying to protect Anduin while also teaching him (because Anduin wasn't ready for this) and I think he carries a lot of guilt at the kind of King he was for many years and is trying to make up for it in any way he can but at the same time bad shit constantly happens to him and he's only human so he makes mistakes too.

Genn literally lost his future (son), his best friend (varian), his kingdom, his new home (teldrassil), failed as a king at protecting his people and his wife Mia seems to also be dying in BFA and a lot of this is because of Sylvanas from his perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Graden View Post
    Nope, it turns out that Mia Greymane even after Teldrassil is still alive. She even got new voice lines according to wowhead.
    Ah, didn't see that yet. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Don't quote when you have no idea what you're talking about: https://kotaku.com/chris-metzen-on-l...ani-1789047653

He retired because of his failing health.
    First off dude, dial the hostility down a little. Panic attacks, anxiety and stress are not failing health. Sure they are serious and can ultimately lead to it... but you make it sound like the dude had one foot in the grave. Neither therealbowser or I were attacking you.

In the process, though, Metzen suffered from nonstop anxiety. During movies with his wife, he’d experience what he’d later learn were panic attacks. He felt like his lungs would stop, but when he consulted doctors, nothing was wrong with him. It was the beginning of 2016, and with the upcoming release of World of Warcraft’s Legion, Overwatch, its animated shorts, the Blizzard movies and, also, a new baby, Metzen was crushed under the pressure to do it all.

“I need a change in my life,” Metzen said. Blizzard was his family too, but he chose to leave and help nourish his real one. Over the last few months, he’s been meditating on his time at Blizzard. He says that leisure agrees with him.

“I spent so many years running real hot and real fast and chasing this dream that I had and also being a good soldier, a good officer, for this company I was with,” Metzer said. Now, he’s just thankful.
    That's not failing health. That's overworked and overstressed. Sure you can call that "failing health" I suppose... but seems a tad extreme.

And the quote? All I did was confirm that he was going to continue to voice Thrall. Via Metzens own Tweet. So, not sure how I am quoting out of turn. At the end of the day, all I was really confirming was that he's still voicing Thrall.

Panic attacks, anxiety and stress are not failing health. Sure they are serious and can ultimately lead to it... but you make it sound like the dude had one foot in the grave.
    I guess you've never dealt with Anxiety and Panic Attacks before. From someone who has, it certainly can be a foot in the grave, they were serious enough for him to retire from his position, meaning it was failing health. Get over your semantics and see what's said.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

7+ Year Old Account
    I guess you've never dealt with Anxiety and Panic Attacks before. From someone who has, it certainly can be a foot in the grave, they were serious enough for him to retire from his position, meaning it was failing health. Get over your semantics and see what's said.
    My issues isn't with whether or not I am wrong, or you're right, or I my being corrected. I am fully fine with any of those. My issue is your attitude. You seem fully incapable of correcting someone who stated something wrong, or differs in opinions from you.

You're insane with a warped perception of reality.
    Don't quote when you have no idea what you're talking about
    Get over your semantics and see what's said.
    So many different ways you could have said the same thing, without coming across arrogant and combative.

The point is & was... Chris Metzen is still going to voice Thrall. Regardless of all else.

Moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Can you show me where he doesn't want revenge on sylvanans anymore? Also he ruined her future, that was his revenge. If you read the actual post he knows sylvanas must be stopped. But that the forskane people can be saved, where he once thought them all lost their humanity.

Please read the actual book before talking about it. Nothing has been retconned, nothing has drasticly changed about genn, he grew as a person. Understanding some forsaken are still people.

I find it really sad your crying about retcons but haven't even read the book. Understand you rather wait till its done... But then maybe dont cry about how it retcons stuff if you arnt actually going to read it?
    Or, you could have been less of a a-hole and instead give a quick explanation, without going into spoilers, like the poster I replied to in your message quoted, did. But not everyone can be that civil~

game will ignore the book

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

So, for the record:

He retired because of mental health issues, bruh. He was having panic attacks and serious anxiety issues. He also wanted to spend more time with his family.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    He retired because of mental health issues, bruh. He was having panic attacks and serious anxiety issues. He also wanted to spend more time with his family.
    Yeah. I knew that honestly. I guess I just have a different concept of what "failing health" is. I think of it as failing organs or some such. That's probably somewhat narrowminded of me if I am being honest here.

I suffer from several mental health problems, and I just kind of power through them. So I tend to set the bar oddly. But I did know that stress was one of the things that prompted it.

Remember when all the Genn haters thought that he burned down Teldrassil in an Alex Jonesian false-flag attack because they couldn't imagine Sylvanas being such a stupid, conniving warmonger?

I do.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Yeah. I knew that honestly. I guess I just have a different concept of what "failing health" is. I think of it as failing organs or some such. That's probably somewhat narrowminded of me if I am being honest here.

I suffer from several mental health problems, and I just kind of power through them. So I tend to set the bar oddly. But I did know that stress was one of the things that prompted it.
    Fair enough! And yeah, he said it was getting really bad. He managed to power on through it for years, basically from the death of Titan to the release of Overwatch, but he was just too stressed and burned out to keep going. He's been doing much better recently, and even attended the last BlizzCon incognito!