Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question bad time to build new COMP?

hey guys, im in the market to build a new mid-high range desktop. is it a bad time to do this with the inflated vid card prices??

need some tips
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Bad time for video cards in general. Nvidia is rumored to launch their next gen GPUs during this Summer, or possibly early Fall.

I would wait for the new gen and get a xx60/xx70 depending on your needs.

i think it's a good time for buying a good graphic carda atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Video card prices have stabilized back to MSRP now.
    They most definitely have not. Cheapest 1060s are nearly 300. 1070s are 450+
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Possibly, Video card demand has gone down a great deal in the past few months (prices still high at some regions), which means memory demand is down, which may or may not show in DDR4 prices coming down a peg at some point.

That said though, Nvidia is supposedly gearing up for a new release. Though it's still a rumor and we have nothing really concrete, but Nvidia tends to release their next big thing every year and this is the longest I remember Nvidia going without releasing a new thing for consumers.

The only fear is, they don't have to. They have a great lead in the highend, they have mindshare at low-mid tiers. AMD cards are still going to miners as the few ASIC resistant currencies do tend to favor AMD. Nvidia has absolutely no reason to come up with a new card as long as their old generation is still selling like crazy. We have to remember, consumers couldn't buy any decent GPU without a >100% markup for a really long time.

Any tips for a good computer ?

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    On what planet?. it's not on Earth
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Only OEM ones from NVidia, which no one wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would probably wait if you are gonna build a whole new system. GPU prices are still going down, and if they are gonna release new gpus soon you will also be able to get second hand gpus for a great deal. And the talk about RAM price fixing might actually make ddr4 prices drop back to their normal price which is pretty much half of what it is atm. most of the time I wait till fall before I upgrade because of black friday and such, and I do alot of research on what I need.

So while it is not a bad time to build a PC it will most likely get better soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Memory prices are also still high, but there's a number of actions being taken to correct this, like a lawsuit and investigations. GPU prices are still shit but they're getting better. If your current computer system works then I would wait for ASIC miners to appear and memory prices to drop.

No, they haven't, they're 10-20% over. Also, is anyone is really happy paying MSRP on cards launched 2 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Memory prices are also still high, but there's a number of actions being taken to correct this, like a lawsuit and investigations. GPU prices are still shit but they're getting better. If your current computer system works then I would wait for ASIC miners to appear and memory prices to drop.
    Realistically the lawsuit isn't having any effect. The prices are coming down naturally due to the increase in supply from the lack of cryptocurrency miners buying up stock. If it was the lawsuit, the price shift wouldn't be so fast, it would be happening 6 or so months down the line.

Last time I was in the market for a PC, I learned that every time is always a bad time to build a new PC. There is always that one piece thats overpriced and supposed to go down or a new release around the corner that usually ends up disappointing and not worth waiting for in hindsight.
    If you have to wait for something more than 1-2 months just get it now. No use waiting for the perfect time that never comes.

I'd wait until Ice/Cannon Lake chips. They'll be the first ones without the Spectre/Metldown flaws so you won't have to worry about the OS handling it and taking a performance hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO the best time for a long time was around the beginning of this year.

Yea, bitcoins fucked up the entire graphics card industry.
    We humans have to stick together

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    I'd wait until Ice/Cannon Lake chips. They'll be the first ones without the Spectre/Metldown flaws so you won't have to worry about the OS handling it and taking a performance hit.
    Considering Cannonlake is delayed and 10nm mass production will start at some point in 2019, that would be a really long wait. Also it's doubtful we will see Spectre migitations in their next gen 14nm either as it should be already finished in design and Spectre NG is still to be patched.

7+ Year Old Account
    Where are you guys seeing video card prices that are only 10-20% higher than MSRP? The 1070ti I was looking at, back in Oct '17, is still pricing at about 45% higher than what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Considering Cannonlake is delayed and 10nm mass production will start at some point in 2019, that would be a really long wait. Also it's doubtful we will see Spectre migitations in their next gen 14nm either as it should be already finished in design and Spectre NG is still to be patched.
    So? It's not like the PC floor is moving as fast as it used to. I'm still running a 2700k CPU (Sandy Bridge) and I can run BfA just fine even though it's beneath the recommended settings. There's no rush.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    So? It's not like the PC floor is moving as fast as it used to. I'm still running a 2700k CPU (Sandy Bridge) and I can run BfA just fine even though it's beneath the recommended settings. There's no rush.
    This is something people need to think about, cause the rate of improvements in the PC industry is slowing down, and consumers are taking notice. I myself upgraded recently to a Ryzen 1700 over my FX 8350, and I was kinda reluctant. Only reason I did was cause the CPU was $200 and the motherboard was $60, otherwise I would have waited. In gaming benchmarks like Doom OpenGl, the 1700 is faster by another 30-40 fps, but in Doom Vulkan they're about the same. There isn't a whole lot of incentive to buy a new part when it isn't a 2x or 3x improvement over your old part.

The PC market like many markets are separated into two groups, the first group is the mainstream group who are people that just want the best price for acceptable performance. The second group is the extremist group who want the best and don't care how much it costs. The extremist group is the one that both AMD and Intel aim for cause you can make stuff for them that costs hardly anything more than what you sell to your mainstream consumers, but you get a lot more money for it. When AMD released the Ryzen CPUs they were certainly aiming for the mainstream, but as time went on they realized they couldn't compete with Intel in that market and lowered prices.

The graphics card market used to move much quicker back in the day, where a new graphics card was sometimes 2x or 3x the performance of your old one. Today a GTX 1060 is like a GTX 980, which is not a bad improvement but not enough for some people to drop their GTX 780's just yet. You also used to get new features all the time, but now they just get faster. Sometimes it's just not worth upgrading every 5 years, especially when the games are kinda tidally locked to the Xbox One/PS4 hardware.