Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Change.org petition: stop media from reporting on and profiting from mass shootings

So there’s been another mass shooting in Texas. And we’re gonna talk about guns and rail at politicians. And nothing is gonna change.

Well I’m tired of not addressing this issue and tired of talking. Let’s look at why someone does this instead of how. The copycat effect is a thing. Of course it is. We humans LEARN by copying others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copycat_crime

So here’s what I propose. The media stops reporting the name of shooters or showing the shooter’s face. Stop reporting on them altogether. Teen suicides are not covered for this reason. Why should mass shootings be any different?

This change.org petition to the major media outlets proposes just that.

https://chn.ge/2Iv7z0S

Sign it. Share it. Mock me I don’t care. I’m done talking and sending ‘hopes and prayers’. #ThisStopsNow

So you are against the first amendment?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

That's about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. They want to limit the First Amendment, because someone shot people...

Anyone who signs it is a freedom-hating asshole.

Not at all. This is a proposal to the media outlets themselves, not a proposal for legislative action. I’m asking them to stop not forcing them.

I won't allow this, news site are always sport or celeb new hair cut

Deleted
    Your media are the last hope your have in the eyes of the rest of the world.

So, violate the 1st amendment because people refuse to deal with the actual problem?

Please someone tell me how asking the media to stop is anti-first amendment. It’s their CHOICE to listen or not.
    Last edited by D3thray; 2018-05-19 at 12:39 PM.

Deleted
    So your solution to problem is to pretend it doesn't exist?

It needs to be reported so people would realize how much violence guns cause. Then maybe people would do something about guns problem, though I doubt it because there are too many gun crazy people, massive industry and massive lobbying that won't let any laws pass.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Please someone tell me how asking the media to stop is anti-first amendment. It’s their CHOICE to listen or not.
    A petition isn't asking its demanding....

There is a vast difference between the two.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

15+ Year Old Account
    So how does all this work when private citizens start reporting the mass shootings instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I’m not proposing we pretend it’s not there, I’m proposing not giving kids bad ideas. Absolutely steps should be taken to prevent this. This is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    A petition isn't asking its demanding....

There is a vast difference between the two.
    To be fair, a petition is multiple people asking for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, a petition is asking. For it to be demanding it would need teeth.
    A petition is a form of protesting and protesting is demanding. Even if the demand is weak as fuck its still demanding.

10+ Year Old Account
    So here’s what I propose. The media stops reporting the name of shooters or showing the shooter’s face. Stop reporting on them altogether. Teen suicides are not covered for this reason. Why should mass shootings be any different?
    So the downfall of this video is that it implies that media coverage of these shootings inspires copycats, which may be true, but it does not enable them. These copycats are rarely (if ever) outside the US and the coverage is global. So if the media is responsible for creating these copycats why aren't they all over the globe?

This video is literally just another deflection video aimed at taking the attention away from guns, "Look! Look over here! don't look at the guns! Look at the evil media causing death by copycat!". I detest school shooting coverage and I don't doubt it contributes towards these copycats, but I think it is necessary, if the media does not cover it, less people know it is happening so nobody will try to change it. Banning the coverage will not eliminate the shootings but it will take attention away from a huge issue that should not be ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

I’m not proposing we pretend it’s not there, I’m proposing not giving kids bad ideas. Absolutely steps should be taken to prevent this. This is one of them.
    Tucking it under the carpet isn't a step to prevent it. Being the shit over peoples heads until they finally understand is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Covering your ears to reality won't make it better. These kids are disturbed, they will continue to do disturbing things. Not reporting it won't stop them.

So... If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
    See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil - that'll surely fix a systemic issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    A similar proposal was constructed a good while ago when it came to reporting to terrorists attacks in Europe. The ideology behind it was to still report on them but to not make a huge deal out of every attack in hope it would greatly discourage future attackers since the intend is to always pull attention to themselves or their cause.

Its a noble idea and it would potentially have some effect but people greatly underestimate the greed factor of news agencies, the money behind it.

It also is never going to happen since the press is no longer the press, every buffoon has a phone and everyone has social media and almost nobody has enough self constraint to not go for their 5 minutes of fame while standing nearby corpses.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all in favor of the word "suspect" being replaced with the word "dumbass" when used in media. And never speak their names. Have the reporters go out of their way to call them dumbasses instead of ever making their names public. Stop giving them their fifteen minutes of fame and pseudo-celebrity status.

Turn all of the attention onto the victims and ignore the shooters.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2018-05-19 at 12:51 PM.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)