Page 1 of 2
LastLast

No drain soul as baseline in BFA

Imo it's terrible idea, it's been cool mechanic since birth of wow, and now they make it as an talent that probably won't be used cuz of better options instead of making it baseline soo. Why won't we have both shadow bolt and drain soul ( without making hps) soo i can get soulshards while my target is dying by draining soul.. Ehhh
    Last edited by lainer69; 2018-05-20 at 04:22 PM.

I thought the health you get from drain soul was OP in legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drain soul is a talent? Where? I need it, i hate shadowbolt with a passion!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lainer69 View Post
    Imo it's terrible idea, it's been cool mechanic since birth of wow, and now they make it as an talent that probably won't be used cuz of better options instead of making it baseline soo i can get soulshards while my target is dying by drain soul.. Ehhh
    You know its use as a filler is relatively new in WoW's lifetime? And why the fuck are you moaning, if you like it - pick it. If you are worried you won't be able to run Drain Soul because it won't be best DPS, don't worry - for that you won't be running Affliction at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    I see on the new beta build that shadow embrace now combines with drain soul to gain increase damage. I may be wrong and not seeing the bigger picture, but it looks like maybe Blizz is making it so that we have the option of DS or SB as it appears if DS is enabled with shadow embrace, shadow embrace will proc on DS instead of SB. Good news if so!!!

Edit: Can confirm DS does replace SB if you select it in the talent tree. After reading the tooltip more closely for DS in the new build, it clearly states "replaces shadow bolt". So it's official, we will have the option of DS or SB!
    Last edited by Nazgul91; 2018-05-20 at 02:09 PM.

i mean they could make shadow bolt as filler ok but they could keep drain soul to executing trash soo you could get drain soul, it was cool mechanic, instead we have talent that forces you to have drain soul or shadow bolt and this talent doesnt seem to be good

No.

Having drain soul as a talent is better because this way I never need to cast a single SB (hopefully).

This mostly. But there are better reasons stated by the devs in the topic of beta afflic feedback.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayiicha View Post
    You know its use as a filler is relatively new in WoW's lifetime? And why the fuck are you moaning, if you like it - pick it. If you are worried you won't be able to run Drain Soul because it won't be best DPS, don't worry - for that you won't be running Affliction at all.
    yeah its so NEW we have it for 6 years. Wow is 14 years old

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Drain soul is a talent? Where? I need it, i hate shadowbolt with a passion!
    It was added in the latest BfA build

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post
    yeah its so NEW we have it for 6 years. Wow is 14 years old
    Actually it has been in WoW forever as well, just was used to gather actual soul shards back in old school WoW.

I'm excited to mess around with Shadow Bolt aff. seems like it'd be an interesting change of pace from Drain Soul spam. Further differentiates us from shadow priests, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchatized View Post
    I'm excited to mess around with Shadow Bolt aff. seems like it'd be an interesting change of pace from Drain Soul spam. Further differentiates us from shadow priests, too.
    Yeah, so you're a balance druid instead *rolls eyes*.

Deleted
    They mentioned that Drain soul is a max lvl talent that replaces your shadowbolt as baseline filler, however you wont get any heals from it.

http://bfa.wowhead.com/talent-calc/warlock/affliction

Dunno how people still aren't aware of the new drain soul, can check it out on wowhead.

BFA DS has an execute built in and doesn't heal, the healing portion was moved into drain life which is a separate spell.

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    http://bfa.wowhead.com/talent-calc/warlock/affliction

Dunno how people still aren't aware of the new drain soul, can check it out on wowhead.

BFA DS has an execute built in and doesn't heal, the healing portion was moved into drain life which is a separate spell.
    Interesting. I don't see how this is a choice really. It's got execute damage and you can clip cast with movement. Using shadowbolt would be a serious downgrade.
    And as someone mentioned it's a lot easier to keep up Shadow Embrace with DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
    Interesting. I don't see how this is a choice really. It's got execute damage and you can clip cast with movement. Using shadowbolt would be a serious downgrade.
    And as someone mentioned it's a lot easier to keep up Shadow Embrace with DS.
    You lose Nightfall, which, improves the damage of shadowbolt considerably, and improves its performance during movement. I think the aim is to have them tuned such that it's a simple playstyle preference choice, which imo is a good way to do it, with the huge outcry over shadowbolt as the only option.

Deleted
    Imo it's terrible idea, it's been cool mechanic since birth of wow, and now they make it as an talent that probably won't be used cuz of better options instead of making it baseline soo. Why won't we have both shadow bolt and drain soul ( without making hps) soo i can get soulshards while my target is dying by draining soul.. Ehhh
    Actually it's one and only purpose for vanilla and BC was to cast the rank 1 of it as a mob was dying to get a shard.
    In WotLK it was only usable below 25%
    In Cataclysm they attempted to make warlocks use Drain Life as a filler.
    In MoP we had MG as an ability besides DS.

It was in WoD that warlocks started to use DS as a filler. So, no, for most of wow's lifetime DS was just that awkward spell that was just lying there.

Why is shadow embrace associated with single target? it's the inferior version of haunt ,which has the same cd as duration = 90 % uptime (given 1.5s cast time not counting travel time, might be around 88% uptime ), so most likely SE is picked coz it's easiest to use on ST in that row, although I feel embrace was originally made for multi dot'ing purposes.

Haunt doesn't feel too hard to track or use so wondering why people automatically picture embrace as the go to talent ?

A while back there was a post asking whether people preferred drain soul or shadowbolt. The results were pretty close so I'd say it's a pretty sensible idea.

As someone who refuses to ever use a pet on any class, I am mostly annoyed by having Drain Soul on the same talent tier as Grimoire of Sacrifice.

Having to choose between Shadowbolt and no Drain Soul or playing petless without the Grimoire buff is not great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feigr View Post
    As someone who refuses to ever use a pet on any class, I am mostly annoyed by having Drain Soul on the same talent tier as Grimoire of Sacrifice.

Having to choose between Shadowbolt and no Drain Soul or playing petless without the Grimoire buff is not great.
    Yeah would have liked no pet + drain soul, but honestly not having shadow bolt wins every time :P