Science and Social Media

I come to you all today in seeking everyone's opinion about science and social media.

My objective here is to gauge how we see science and the use of social media and it's impact it has on our message to others. We use twitter and other sites to commend on videos involving science and technology. How many of us out there actually go and research more information about said technology or scientific discoveries or do we just comment form an opinion right away and be done with it. It's a very interesting idea to judge or comment at face value.

To objectively understand this... lets all Post a favorite Scientific Discovery / Technology video. To describe in our own words why we like this discovery/technology ONLY using 180 characters (Like Twitter) and give your best description as to why it is.

It will be interesting to see what we come up with and how short our narrative has to be to describe such an in depth topic.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Can't wait to see what everyone says!
    Last edited by Dreadstar24; 2018-05-20 at 06:23 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar24 View Post
    I come to you all today in seeking everyone's opinion about science and social media.
    Both are great. Social media helps us spread memes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar24 View Post
    My objective here is to gauge how we see science and the use of social media and it's impact it has on our message to others. We use twitter and other sites to commend on videos involving science and technology. How many of us out there actually go and research more information about said technology or scientific discoveries or do we just comment form an opinion right away and be done with it. It's a very interesting idea to judge or comment at face value.

I'm looking for any of your favorite videos and just like Twitter. Only give your opinion of that video or technology/discovery in 180 characters or less.

It will be interesting to see what we come up with and how short our narrative has to be to describe such an in depth topic.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Can't wait to see what everyone says!
    As far as "how we see science", I see it in the Popperian sense. Which is through falsification and deduction.

Deleted
    Thanks to Social media, science is a political target and people are fed nonsense on a daily basis.

Dark times, only matched by the medieval era and possibly surpasses it in the coming years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Media reports on science are starting points. If you have any serious interest in the subject, you won't stick to just that media report, you'll dig into the actual research.

Really, the problem is people who are wildly and willfully ignorant regarding science thinking they know everything, based on a single news story or the like. The Dunning-Kruger effect, basically.

7+ Year Old Account
    Real scientists never leave their ivory tower!

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Media reports on science are starting points. If you have any serious interest in the subject, you won't stick to just that media report, you'll dig into the actual research.

Really, the problem is people who are wildly and willfully ignorant regarding science thinking they know everything, based on a single news story or the like. The Dunning-Kruger effect, basically.
    I would agree that social media in general has made us willfully ignorant because as humans we seek praise especially within ourselves. We find links or articles that WERE interested in and only those who have self-educated (willingly sought out sources and information on a topic) have the necessary skills to point out bs.

The algorithms that social media use to present information to the user is a problem, when it strives to present the user with information they like it creates a echo-chamber on a whole new scale.

So I get a lot of my science (and related) news/information from YouTube channels like Kurzegesagt, SciShow, Sixty Symbols and many of PBS's offerings as well. If something interests me particularly I usually visit wikipedia and get lose there for a while. Extraordinary claims usually warrants a closer inspection of the published paper, it's author and journal it was published in. "Pop-science" can sometimes misrepresent papers so it's worth keeping that in mind as well.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance