10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Though realistically you don't need much scrap unless you're doing a ton of building. It just makes you spend a bit more time overall managing your stash space, but the story and core game remain completely and totally playable. Seriously, it's 100% playable without it, that's how I played my first character a while back and it was still a ton of fun.
    Yeah, as much as I waxed poetic about the benefits of subbing, if you're just trying the game out and aren't sure about it, don't spend the money. It isn't going to have a significant effect on your experience in the first, oh, 10-20 hours or so I'd say; you're not gonna have stuff to fill your stash with if you're just bumbling around doing quests and events and exploring, and the survival tent's benefits mostly come about in the late game, where you're wanting to travel across the map to specific locations repeatedly for farming or dropping in endgame stuff into your stash for later breakdown or whatever.

It's a great quality-of-life improvement from the latter half or so of the story progression onward, but by all means make sure you're invested and enjoying the game before you drop the money on it; it isn't necessary for the core gameplay loops you should be enjoying for the game to be worthwhile.

Good
    I play stealth to, but bloodied seems to be overkill ever since they got rid of the raids. I have an Instigating gauss rifle and hunter rifle that work fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by defclark View Post
    Good
    I play stealth to, but bloodied seems to be overkill ever since they got rid of the raids. I have an Instigating gauss rifle and hunter rifle that work fine for me.
    Why did you copy another person's post?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just waiting for them to finally nerf the exploding gatplas squad.

Tried a gauss minigun lately, was not impressed. Eats way too much ammo for too little benefit, working on the repgrind to get a gauss shotgun for a VATS build.

Enjoying the pepper shaker for now tho, need to get a good legendary roll on it. Would love AA/FFR/FR, and have it in a PA build to double up the anti armour with the stabilised perk.

Edit: On a side note I pretty much have most crafting recipes and a ton of materials, so if anyone on PC is starting out and looking for someone to do various PA/Armour builds, or weapons like Fixer or Pepper Shaker, let me know, I've the mats to do it free of charge.

Can also carry through most ops and other content.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2022-08-31 at 06:36 PM.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

5+ Year Old Account
    I played it as melee class because I couldn’t just kill anything with guns. It was fun as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't play melee, the game is so hostile to it currently. Between the EGP crowd and the end game fights all punishing non ranged people being melee feels weak. They need a perk or some other ability that allows them to charge over a distance to their target in VATS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I played it as melee class because I couldn’t just kill anything with guns. It was fun as hell.
    You need a decent weapon and an actual build to do meaningful damage with guns. I've got a few decent explosive weapons (handmade and fixxer) on a sorta generic commando build and it works just fine. Doesn't melt, and it's absolutely outdone by proper builds and destroyed by folks with legacy gear, but even with a mix of 3-star gear (again, not a real build), it works just fine.

Rifleman was what I started with but it's fairly weak, sadly. You basically need to go sneak with that if you're gonna run that build, and even then it's fairly weak in group settings and not very good at all for bosses unless you can spam stealth boys and stuff.

I kinda want to make a melee build at some point, maybe when Pitt drops I'll be interested enough to start putting one together. I've got tons of scrip and legendary crafting shit I've just been sitting on because I've had no need to craft/reroll gear, heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need a decent weapon and an actual build to do meaningful damage with guns. I've got a few decent explosive weapons (handmade and fixxer) on a sorta generic commando build and it works just fine. Doesn't melt, and it's absolutely outdone by proper builds and destroyed by folks with legacy gear, but even with a mix of 3-star gear (again, not a real build), it works just fine.

Rifleman was what I started with but it's fairly weak, sadly. You basically need to go sneak with that if you're gonna run that build, and even then it's fairly weak in group settings and not very good at all for bosses unless you can spam stealth boys and stuff.

I kinda want to make a melee build at some point, maybe when Pitt drops I'll be interested enough to start putting one together. I've got tons of scrip and legendary crafting shit I've just been sitting on because I've had no need to craft/reroll gear, heh.
    I've been replaying the series from the ground up; currently in a Two Wastelands mod that pulls the data from FO3 into FONV and makes it all work and ties both together into one character's story (the general idea is to finish FO3, then there's a new train station you can power up to go to the Mojave, where you get shot in the head and start there with all your gear/levels/perks.) Currently in the Sierra Madre, with Old World Blues and Lonesome Road to go, and then I'll re-install and mod the balls off Fallout 4 and run through it again, and then I'll drop pack into 76 (it's been a while so there's new content I haven't seen), but what you say held true even back then.

I'm a Rifleman player through and through in almost all these games, unless I force myself out of that, and I had to go to a junkies commando build because I A> didn't want to maintain high rad levels and low health and B> Rifleman just doesn't work, especially since stealth is fully borked in any multiplayer situation. Rifleman can be fine for poking around the wasteland solo, but it you're hitting events, you're dead weight. Also really dislike FO4/76 power armor, mechanically. It's cool if that's what you want, it just doesn't vibe for me, personally.

5+ Year Old Account

I think I screwed out the build from the first place by putting intelligence and stealth on the max. This is how I became a ninja unintentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I think I screwed out the build from the first place by putting intelligence and stealth on the max. This is how I became a ninja unintentionally.
    You can easily swap you SPECIAL points around via the stations at train stations (or you can put in your camp). You just need to have the actual perk cards for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on how good the auto axe is I might finally do a melee build, the war glaive was a major disappointment.

So it seems like you get fallout 76 for free with Amazon Prime. Before I even consider downloading it you can only create your own world with a sub right? And how are non private worlds set up? Can I play a world where some asshole can't fuck up my base? Is the game even worth playing if you don't pvp? Or would it just be better for me to reinstall Fallout 4 if I need a Fallout fix?

Also did they deal with all the hacking and bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    So it seems like you get fallout 76 for free with Amazon Prime. Before I even consider downloading it you can only create your own world with a sub right? And how are non private worlds set up? Can I play a world where some asshole can't fuck up my base? Is the game even worth playing if you don't pvp? Or would it just be better for me to reinstall Fallout 4 if I need a Fallout fix?

Private means private, you play alone or with people you invited. No asswipe can come and nuke your base

Private means private. They're only active while you're only and "hosting", unless there are still folks in it when you log off IIRC (it will remain active until they leave, and they need to be invited by you/be your friends). So you can either do a vanilla private world, or you can create your own custom world with tweaked ruleset so you can build without resources and everything.

Though honestly outside of the one time I accidentally picked some guys lock and flagged myself (found someone to mercy kill me) I've never engaged in PvP once nor had my camp attacked. It's still potentially a risk, but if you have the resources you can instantly rebuild.

Hacking: I haven't seen any in ages. Legacy weapons still exist and I'm sure there are still some hackers, but that's probably never changing.

Bugs: It's better, and keeps getting slightly better. But expect Bethesda Quality(TM) complicated by bolting on multiplayer. Most of the bugs can be worked around pretty easily and some of the hilarious ones like water not animating unless you play in English have been patched, but it's still fairly buggy and work on addressing bugs is very, very slow.

They've hired a few developers to assist with work on the game. Not sure exactly what they're doing, but it seems that they may be focusing more on production while the Bethesda team is focused more on core tech and whatnot.

I'm not playing right now, Pitt was aight I guess but once was enough for me for now and felt underwhelming. But Nuka World is supposedly coming to Appalachia so I'll be checking that out whenever it drops.

Private means private. They're only active while you're only and "hosting", unless there are still folks in it when you log off IIRC (it will remain active until they leave, and they need to be invited by you/be your friends). So you can either do a vanilla private world, or you can create your own custom world with tweaked ruleset so you can build without resources and everything.

Though honestly outside of the one time I accidentally picked some guys lock and flagged myself (found someone to mercy kill me) I've never engaged in PvP once nor had my camp attacked. It's still potentially a risk, but if you have the resources you can instantly rebuild.

Hacking: I haven't seen any in ages. Legacy weapons still exist and I'm sure there are still some hackers, but that's probably never changing.

Bugs: It's better, and keeps getting slightly better. But expect Bethesda Quality(TM) complicated by bolting on multiplayer. Most of the bugs can be worked around pretty easily and some of the hilarious ones like water not animating unless you play in English have been patched, but it's still fairly buggy and work on addressing bugs is very, very slow.

They've hired a few developers to assist with work on the game. Not sure exactly what they're doing, but it seems that they may be focusing more on production while the Bethesda team is focused more on core tech and whatnot.

I'm not playing right now, Pitt was aight I guess but once was enough for me for now and felt underwhelming. But Nuka World is supposedly coming to Appalachia so I'll be checking that out whenever it drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotunhammer View Post
    Private means private, you play alone or with people you invited. No asswipe can come and nuke your base
    You need a sub to play private though don't you?

Does your base save between worlds or is it just your character?

Yes you need FO1st to access private worlds or the custom worlds to make your own rules - custom worlds are on a completely separate progression track so anything you do there will not carry back to public servers FYI (it will on private worlds since they play with the same ruleset as public servers).

And I believe bases are saved per-character and I'm not sure if you can trade blueprint plans. You can make some rad stuff on public servers, but build limits are very much a thing in terms of what you can do and you'll likely often find yourself on public servers where you can't deploy your camp because an existing camp on the server is too close - sadly this is a low priority for them so the only solution is to just keep jumping servers until you find one you can deploy your camp on. But if you play on the custom worlds you can lift most of those limits and just go wild (though you still need to have the plans to make stuff, and IIRC you still need the baseline materials to craft it even if you remove material requirements in the ruleset). But if you build a base on one character it will save that base so that it tries to deploy it whenever you log in, you won't lose anything here. You can have a few different CAMP's at once so if one location is taken you can use your second location, too.

7+ Year Old Account

Your base is always saved

The only caveat is that if you log in and theres already a player base at your spot, it will tell you that your base could not be loaded into the world. It will then offer you to find a new session
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

yes you need sub to play private, thats basically what you pay for, your own playground.
    dunno about the save between worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunhammer View Post
    dunno about the save between worlds.
    Your public/private (if you have First) world progress is shared and saved each time you play.

The only time your play data isn't saved/updated is on custom worlds. That's a completely separate save for the character that's specific to that mode (which can be updated with a copy of your "real" character at any time) since that mode lets you completely break the game and all, heh.

I love the universe for this series of games

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, do you play games? I love games especially online shooters,
    did you know that in the game Call of Duty there are different achievements ranging from camouflage for your favorite weapons to personalize your favorite character,
    but it requires a lot of effort and time, so I decided not to waste my time and buy what I like in the game through *snip*
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-10-19 at 09:43 PM.