High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The "Dead in the Water" version of the raid is so straight forward, its no wonder they managed to solo it. There's literally no enemy that needs to be killed apart from the Strangler heart and that doesnt really count. My guess would be he used something like a Mr.Handy blade or a Ripper, Chainsaw since the heart only counts hits received in order to get damaged, not actual damage done.

This weeks raid seems to be a steep step up at first, but its quite managable once you figure it out and you can actually skip half of the whole thing if you are smart. I did it once on novice and twice on standard (once with couple seconds left and once with about a minute+), was too late and too tired to go for expert before writing this and going to sleep (EU).
    Give it one or two days and it'll be no problem. The only thing that really annoys me is the forced need of PA (lets be realistic, Hazmat Suit is bullshit) and the lack of a guaranteed three star item at the end.

Gonna try for expert tomorrow and see how that goes but I need to farm materials for my plasma flamer and the mainframe cores first.

I was hoping for some other form of difficulty that doesnt involve time but all in all its a welcome step up in difficulty (until you get it down properly) from the dead in the water version.

The vault raids are more enjoyable than I thought they would be and I'm actually changing my whole build into a teamplay version since I really only do the raids now due to lack of other challenging content.

Quote Originally Posted by Ochinko View Post
    My guess would be he used something like a Mr.Handy blade or a Ripper, Chainsaw since the heart only counts hits received in order to get damaged, not actual damage done.
    I'm not sure why this keeps getting passed around, but it's simply not true. I've seen the Heart get two shotted before. Besides that, normal legendary weapons are used to take of giant chucks of it's health at a time.

Stood in the Fire PromiscuousPenguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi guys,

I'd picked up this game on sale a while ago and just decided to give it a go. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying myself after reading all the criticism online (I've had a few bugs myself like events failing for no reason but nothing terminal so far). I'm loving the exploration and discovery.

As a complete Fallout noob, I'm unsure about many things but right now mainly:

- I haven't dared moved my base yet because of the bugs. Is it best to keep base builds on ground level, or have the recent patches fixed that issue? (I've been blueprinting my base for easy moving).
    *edit been moving base fine, although big scare the first time when you don't actually go to blueprint, to you know, use your blueprint as intended, but to stored... The building tutorials are an embarrassment and must suck for anyone new to the franchise*

- Is it worth building defenses for my base? I don't seem to get attacked much (only when I'm there so far) and the base default turret seems very weak..

- I have LOTS of building materials except concrete which is hampering my base building as I can't lay more foundations..Is it just a rare resource?
    *edit found bags of cement that respawn, base building has become awesome*

- I want to do a Power Armor build, around what level can you get a usable one? (I'm lvl 11 and have two in my stash that I found exploring but can't use until lvl 30)

I haven't played ANY of the other Fallout games (I know..), but if I'm enjoying Fallout 76, do you think Fallout 4 would just blow my mind if its more of the same but much better? (even I can see that Fallout 76 is a shameless cash grab)

Thanks for any answers you may have!

ps: people have been so nice in-game so far. Nearly every high-ish or high-level-players I've ran into near to their bases have beckoned me over to give me plans, weapons, armor, etc. (even pocketed armor! Total nerdgasm from that guy)
    pps: except this one guy, who had a super duper base, but also traps....I was trying to buy stuff from his shop, and I fell down a trap door before being launched off the cliff. My jaw literally hit the desk... XD I wish I could send mail to tell him how much I genuinely enjoyed being baited and murdered.
    Last edited by PromiscuousPenguin; 2019-09-11 at 09:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So much for the cash shop not providing competitive advantages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

I read a lot of hate online for this, especially for the fridge, had they actually promised that these would not be in the shop?

As a low lvl noob, I was pleased to see the new, much simpler to obtain, backpack.

On another note, is it safe to use basic mods without risking being banned? I have my eye on Better Inventory in the Nexus, but I don't want to risk a ban or breaking my game...

*edit I went for it and boy is this mod amazing. No idea why Bethesda is still giving us these awful inventories 8 years after Skyrim*
    Last edited by PromiscuousPenguin; 2019-09-12 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PromiscuousPenguin View Post
    I read a lot of hate online for this, especially for the fridge, had they actually promised that these would not be in the shop?

As a low lvl noob, I was pleased to see the new, much simpler to obtain, backpack.

On another note, is it safe to use basic mods without risking being banned? I have my eye on Better Inventory in the Nexus, but I don't want to risk a ban or breaking my game...
    Pete hines said in a tweet atomic shop is cosmetic only.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

I remember some people in this thread swearing up and down that they weren’t going to do this. Or was it that those shitty costumes didn’t count?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how it's P2W when anyone who plays this game has already lost. (just kidding, maybe) Anyways, anyone who says they didn't see this coming is either lying, or incredibly naive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    Pete hines said in a tweet atomic shop is cosmetic only.
    Meh, that's disappointing and another greed indicator...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    I don't see how it's P2W when anyone who plays this game has already lost. (just kidding, maybe) Anyways, anyone who says they didn't see this coming is either lying, or incredibly naive.
    Now, this probably won't be popular, but while it's clearly another kick in the teeth of the franchise's real fans, is it really P2W? More scrap and food that takes longer to spoil seems like quality of life improvements as opposed to a competitive advantage?

Now, this probably won't be popular, but while it's clearly another kick in the teeth of the franchise's real fans, is it really P2W? More scrap and food that takes longer to spoil seems like quality of life improvements as opposed to a competitive advantage?
    If you put in real money and get a benefit out of it, it's a P2W mechanic.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    If you put in real money and get a benefit out of it, it's a P2W mechanic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    P2W has no really solid definition, however, the majority of people will consider anything that has some sort of impact in the gameplay as P2W.
    I suppose that I saw P2W as for example, fatmans with unlimited ammo in the shop, as opposed to quality of life items like a fridge or scrap collector. But I see your point, if it's not cosmetic, it's P2W.

That's very depressing, so many Bethesda games are shining lights in my gaming memories, so I always try and see the best in them.
    Last edited by PromiscuousPenguin; 2019-09-12 at 07:03 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think these items are p2w but they are the beggining of something I don't want F76 to become
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I don't think these items are p2w but they are the beggining of something I don't want F76 to become
    The worst thing is that there is no way to get item like this through gameplay. Imagine they would add a hard questline to craft a Collectron with a rare mats.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    The worst thing is that there is no way to get item like this through gameplay. Imagine they would add a hard questline to craft a Collectron with a rare mats.
    You can get Atoms just by playing. I earned easily over 2000 and i'm not really farming them or anything.
    Bought a cowboy duster for reasons.

So, in theory you can get it through normal gameplay. Yet it's an obvious push to spend more cash
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you can get a limited amount of premium-currency over time or something, not entirely sure.
    Yup, you earn Atom points by playing the game. So scrapping a certain amount of items, killing enemies, blablabla... But only small amounts (so far for me anyway, 10-20), and the fridge alone costs 700 Atom points.

Being the noob that I am, I hadn't noticed the "repair at bench" option, so wasted some Atom points on repair kits that you can use anywhere...

- - - Updated - - -

You can get Atoms just by playing. I earned easily over 2000 and i'm not really farming them or anything.
    A cowboy duster sounds like appropriate clothing for a lone wanderer!

I'm currently sporting the scout outfit...
    Last edited by PromiscuousPenguin; 2019-09-12 at 07:03 PM.

So, in theory you can get it through normal gameplay. Yet it's an obvious push to spend more cash
    I think you can get a limited amount of premium-currency over time or something, not entirely sure.

Yeah, I'm not talking about just earning premium currency. I'm saying that you could actually make a new content to get this items.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    Yeah, I'm not talking about just earning premium currency. I'm saying that you could actually make a new content to get this items.
    I agree. Premium currency shouldn't exist in a AAA game anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoa I am late to this party.

- I haven't dared moved my base yet because of the bugs. Is it best to keep base builds on ground level, or have the recent patches fixed that issue?
    I won't be a ton of help because I staked my claim and haven't moved it since...uh...it's been a while. But I've seen all kinds of built bases in my travels. I just have a base built specifically for ease of use, and therefore, ground level.

- Is it worth building defenses for my base?
    I think that, if you have few/none, you are attacked more often. More importantly, you can keep making ammo and smoked mirelurk sandwiches while you hear machine gun fire and explosions and not even flinch. "Ah, those pesky super mutants, always such kidders. Looks like I'm getting some 0.38 bullets, frag grenades and steel!"

I've also built fences around my most important crops so that stray bullets and lasers hit those first and I don't miss a harvest.

- I have LOTS of building materials except concrete which is hampering my base building as I can't lay more foundations..Is it just a rare resource?
    Now I know you've fixed the issue, and that's cool, but the answer is "yes, but nobody cares". You don't make a lot of guns, ammo, chems, weapons or items with concrete. You make floors and some steps. A few runs 'round some construction sites and you're pretty much good forever.

Failing that, one of the reasons I chose my location is it had a concrete extractor location, but a smarter move would have been to use any of the workshops that have one, let it run for an hour, and be set for life. Some train vendors sometimes have bulk concrete, and quite frankly, anyone who has a concrete extractor probably didn't waste their time locking the damn thing.

- I want to do a Power Armor build, around what level can you get a usable one?
    "Usable?" Uh...35. I'm talking about the Excavator Armor of course, one of my favorite toys, because it hauls scrap like a beast and still resists rads just fine. I have never used T45, T51, or T60 because, by the time I would have wanted a combat suit, I had run every faction quest and could make Ultracite and X01 from scratch. But I'm a crafter, and "here are some new recipes" is a carrot I can see on the end of a very long stick.

If you don't want to run those questlines, well, things slow way the hell down. You can find the plans for Ultracite pieces on scorchbeast queens (and maybe scorchbeasts?) but don't hold your breath. Random sets basically don't exist past T51. I don't see players selling them often. And it's not like you can kill someone and take the pieces off their corpse.

Now be advised, these suits will be expensive. A level 50 X01 suit takes about 100 of each steel, aluminium, screws, springs, and copper, and 20-40 of nearly everything else. And that's pre-mods. Jet Packs and Calibrated Shocks (both highly useful) will require stable flux or mods you buy from the Enclave (all the more reason to run that questline). Nobody's going to give that away for free.

do you think Fallout 4 would just blow my mind if its more of the same but much better?
    Okay...if I had a gun to my head and forced to choose, I would say "play the one that doesn't lose its server connection all the time".

That's 4.

Fallout 4 is a fantastic game. Being single player, there's also no reason to cap player power or balance around PvP. While I think the changes from Fallout 4 to Fallout 76 largely work (such as leveled weapons, multiple-trait legendaries, repeatable quests, more plants, more food, handmades take 5.56) and I love giving newbies stuff, even with recent changes, Fallout 76 just...it just crashes on me too often. And if I have to choose between my Honda Civic and a Porsche 911 with unfixable misfiring spark plugs, I would say "the option that doesn't have me calling a tow truck every other Wednesday".

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm looking for an anti-armor energy weapon that's worth a damn. Not looking at you, plasma rifles and flamers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Whoa I am late to this party.
    Party is still going strong, have some of my fresh blackberry juice and blackberry honey crisps (I love those recipes)!

I won't be a ton of help because I staked my claim and haven't moved it since...uh...it's been a while. But I've seen all kinds of built bases in my travels. I just have a base built specifically for ease of use, and therefore, ground level.
    That's what I was doing out of caution too. I've now expanded to 3x3, on two levels, and I seem to be able to move without any issues. I've made several blueprints, one of which is just foundations, and the rest has snapped to them every time fine so far. *touches wood*

I think that, if you have few/none, you are attacked more often. More importantly, you can keep making ammo and smoked mirelurk sandwiches while you hear machine gun fire and explosions and not even flinch. "Ah, those pesky super mutants, always such kidders. Looks like I'm getting some 0.38 bullets, frag grenades and steel!"
    xD...Not going to lie, I'm pretty fed up of getting interrupted in my crafting/stash management. I think I might look into that today. Although I only have the basic turret and artillery plans so far.

I've also built fences around my most important crops so that stray bullets and lasers hit those first and I don't miss a harvest.
    This is what I need to do so they stop popping my blackberries!

Now I know you've fixed the issue, and that's cool, but the answer is "yes, but nobody cares". You don't make a lot of guns, ammo, chems, weapons or items with concrete. You make floors and some steps. A few runs 'round some construction sites and you're pretty much good forever.

Failing that, one of the reasons I chose my location is it had a concrete extractor location, but a smarter move would have been to use any of the workshops that have one, let it run for an hour, and be set for life. Some train vendors sometimes have bulk concrete, and quite frankly, anyone who has a concrete extractor probably didn't waste their time locking the damn thing.
    I hadn't realized at the time of asking the question how few plans required concrete, I'm now swimming in it, but wait... minerals extractors??? I hadn't even noticed them in the build lists...

"Usable?" Uh...35. I'm talking about the Excavator Armor of course, one of my favorite toys, because it hauls scrap like a beast and still resists rads just fine. I have never used T45, T51, or T60 because, by the time I would have wanted a combat suit, I had run every faction quest and could make Ultracite and X01 from scratch. But I'm a crafter, and "here are some new recipes" is a carrot I can see on the end of a very long stick.

If you don't want to run those questlines, well, things slow way the hell down. You can find the plans for Ultracite pieces on scorchbeast queens (and maybe scorchbeasts?) but don't hold your breath. Random sets basically don't exist past T51. I don't see players selling them often. And it's not like you can kill someone and take the pieces off their corpse.
    Hmm, damn. I'm only lvl 19 so still a way to go..Is there nothing I can use before that? (I swear a buddy said lvl 25 to me). I'm loving the sound of the Excavator Armor, I'm going to look into that.

*spots a fellow crafter* Same! I love getting recipes and long questlines so that's music to my ears. (I'm currently pushing through the tadpole scout chain while wearing my scout uniform to get the better backpack)

Now be advised, these suits will be expensive. A level 50 X01 suit takes about 100 of each steel, aluminium, screws, springs, and copper, and 20-40 of nearly everything else. And that's pre-mods. Jet Packs and Calibrated Shocks (both highly useful) will require stable flux or mods you buy from the Enclave (all the more reason to run that questline). Nobody's going to give that away for free.
    100 of each..........whoa. And I'm always low on springs (although its getting better since i realized desk fans give them). That being said, if suit is good, I'm fine with some grinding. I'm a wasteland hoover anyway, so I pick up everything I can, and as a result have many stash problems.

Okay...if I had a gun to my head and forced to choose, I would say "play the one that doesn't lose its server connection all the time".

That's 4.

Fallout 4 is a fantastic game. Being single player, there's also no reason to cap player power or balance around PvP. While I think the changes from Fallout 4 to Fallout 76 largely work (such as leveled weapons, multiple-trait legendaries, repeatable quests, more plants, more food, handmades take 5.56) and I love giving newbies stuff, even with recent changes, Fallout 76 just...it just crashes on me too often. And if I have to choose between my Honda Civic and a Porsche 911 with unfixable misfiring spark plugs, I would say "the option that doesn't have me calling a tow truck every other Wednesday".
    I have only had one crash on F76 so far so I'm touching massive wood on that front. Thanks for going into that (great description xD), I'm enjoying the systems so much that F4 seems like a guaranteed hit for me. My evil masterplan for the time being is to explore the F76 map 100%, see how I feel, and then prob play another game (BL3, The Surge 2 or Death Stranding most likely) before diving back into the Fallout universe with F4.

I'm particularly looking forward to having more stories, NPCs, and consequences to my choices.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm looking for an anti-armor energy weapon that's worth a damn. Not looking at you, plasma rifles and flamers.
    Now what is up with that? I thought I'd be swimming in cool energy weapons but I've only found very average laser rifles/guns so far, and they seem few and far between. Some of us want to melt eyeballs...
    Last edited by PromiscuousPenguin; 2019-09-15 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling is hard ok..

10+ Year Old Account
    Party is still going strong, have some of my fresh blackberry juice and blackberry honey crisps
    You HAD to mention honey crisps. Do you know how long I fumed about being unable to make the stuff? Seriously, I ran Irrational Fear on cooldown for a couple months.

Although I only have the basic turret and artillery plans so far.
    Artillery won't auto defend your place. Just saying.

I don't remember where I got the Missile Turret plans. I do know you need the Agility perk card Home Defense 3/3 to make it. I also strongly recommend having them on the corner of your roof, or some other overhang, so they fire downwards at intruders. While this is less important for bullets and lasers, a missile that fires horizontally and misses just wanders off into the trees. A missile that flies vertically and misses hits the ground, explodes, and still damages the target.

minerals extractors??? I hadn't even noticed them in the build lists
    You can only build a mineral extractor if you build at a location that can take one. Most such locations look the same, a conical pit about three meters across that you can yankg bits of raw material out with your bare hands (usually). Most workshops have a few. Concrete pits, not that it matters now, are light grey and cannot be extracted by hand.

(I swear a buddy said lvl 25 to me)
    Your friend is likely telling you the level at which Excavator Armor can be equipped. He is not telling you the level at which you'd survive the trip into Garraham's Mining Headquarters (Ash Heap, far south of the map) to make your set in the first place.

100 of each..........whoa. And I'm always low on springs (although its getting better since i realized desk fans give them).
    I think you meant screws. There's a card that lets you lower repair requirements, it's called Power Smith, but it's a higher-level card and I don't think you can get it at 19.

If you really did mean springs, kill Yao Guai. Oh, wait level 19. Um...Yao Guai have springs but they're tough to kill. Find a sniper ledge or drop mines. THe one by the Civil War fort way up north has a bear in the parking lot, as in "surrounded by giant metal explosives".

Now what is up with that? I thought I'd be swimming in cool energy weapons but I've only found very average laser rifles/guns so far
    Eenergy weapons aren't rare by choice, they're rare by chance. As you've probably noticed most armed monsters carry a gun based on their level from a pre-selected list. You've probably killed hundreds of low-level scorched by now. Ever see one using a 0.44 weapon? How about any form of SMG? They're not coded to do that. Higher levels add combat and assault rifles, but you'll never see a scorched attack you with a laser weapon. Super Mutants also have a short list, and lasers are on it, but not plasma.

Meanwhile, when you find a weapon in a chest, or in a treasure map, or a legendary weapon, it seems far more "everything is equally fair game". Thing is, there are so many ballistic weapons that energy weapons are just pushed out by sheer volume. Just off the top of my head, there are pipe weapons/bolt-action/revolver, 10mm pistol, single action/0.44/western revolvers, hunting rifles, combat rifles, assault rifles, SMG, 10mm SMG, the LMG, miniguns, 0.50 cal machine guns, syringers (yawn) and double-barrel/pump-action/combat shotguns. Plus EVERYTHING that explodes. Meanwhile, on the energy side, it's laser, plasma, gatling laser, and gatling plasma. You won't find the Alien Blaster randomly.

And plasma are the worst, due to Fallout damage mechanics and their split damage. Unless there's a hidden mechanic I don't know about, plasma weapons are almost designed to do low damage. Of course, they do turn corpses into bright glowing green puddles, making it far easier to find and loot them in the tall grass.