Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    how many well we eventually tick off, hmmm?

sorry, but these dogs really need to require a strict and long testing process to earn a permit to own them. the only thing i'm worried about, is that the wretched that bred them to be this way will turn to another breed to do this with, ruining another breed.

which honestly just makes me want to make owning any kind of pet require a long permit process.

Ugh, if they let a dog of that size live inside their house and room, their higiene standards must be very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Lol...it's funny how people will stick with their beliefs even when losing a loved one due to said belief.

I like pit bulls, they are oftentimes very loving and sweet, but you can't ignore what they have been bred for in recent years..which is primarily aggression/dogfighting.
    Yeah, it's sad. I'd personally be devastated and want to kill the dog myself. I wouldn't be giving an interview like that.

Let's not jump to conclu- aaand it's pit bulls.

Charge them with murder, let them be responsible for their actions.

Dog being loaded in the vehicle looks like a pit/lab mix. Older, more lab than pit. Grey around the muzzle. She clearly says they are pits, though.

Older pets are often intolerant of younger animals, they get set in their ways as they get older (much like people) and also have pain issues that make them more likely to snap.

Quote Originally Posted by dbaum23 View Post
    The article he linked doesn't show them but you can find pictures in other articles, even video of dogs being loaded into animal control trucks.
    http://www.toledoblade.com/image/201...ting-shows.jpg

Just saying. The only way to be sure it is a pit bull (or a distinction of it) is to dna test them. Some of those dogs can be called pits, but they aren't. I've long since stopped defending dogs, common sense rules applies to all dogs. But I would love it if media would stop being half-assed at establishing what kind of dog it actually is when it comes to biting, especially when it appears to be 1 type only. It's going to devolve into 'that dog looks like x, must be dangerous!'.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Corgi4lyfe
    Corgis are well known for their danger to cabbages. You should get a pit bull instead. Your cabbages will be safe, although they will probably kill your children.

Quote Originally Posted by dbaum23 View Post
    Yeah, it's sad. I'd personally be devastated and want to kill the dog myself. I wouldn't be giving an interview like that.
    Yeah she said she's not in a good frame of mind and it seems like that is true during the interview. I think the reporters were way overstepping, she just found out her child was dead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Corgis are well known for their danger to cabbages. You should get a pit bull instead. Your cabbages will be safe, although they will probably kill your children.
    I fuckin hate cabbage

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Yes, because it's absolutely correct.
    Animal behavior is both genetics and training/environment, it is not one or the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Children aged below 9 years old comprised two-thirds (76) of the total number of these attacks.
    and 99% of those are because the kids yanked its tail or pulled on the ears or jumped on it while it was sleeping because they think its a toy or stuffed animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post

Just saying. The only way to be sure it is a pit bull (or a distinction of it) is to dna test them. Some of those dogs can be called pits, but they aren't. I've long since stopped defending dogs, common sense rules applies to all dogs. But I would love it if media would stop being half-assed at establishing what kind of dog it actually is when it comes to biting, especially when it appears to be 1 type only. It's going to devolve into 'that dog looks like x, must be dangerous!'.
    Could simply ask the owner what kind of dog it is, I mean the owner should know right?

Quote Originally Posted by Josyel View Post
    Ugh, if they let a dog of that size live inside their house and room, their higiene standards must be very high.
    they make this thing called dog shampoo. and believe it or not but you can actually bathe a dog... i know, crazy right.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post

The mother said it was a pit bull terrier unless she doesn't know either.

Deleted
    Pitbulls are the muslims of dogs, whenever there's someone bitten/mauled you know it's most likely a pitbull, same with a terrorist act for muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    and 99% of those are because the kids yanked its tail or pulled on the ears or jumped on it while it was sleeping because they think its a toy or stuffed animal.
    yank on most dogs tail and they look at you stupid, yank on a pit bull too much and get killed. see the difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroThree View Post
    Pitbulls are the muslims of dogs, whenever there's a child bite you know it's most likely a pitbull, same with a terrorist act for muslims.
    you went hard with that one. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    It's genetics that has to be trained and satisfied in specific way. You don't do that, you have a bad dog.
    ponders how much of that can be applied to humans

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    So kind of like leaving loaded guns around your house for your kids to find and think are a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Why don't you like poodles lol?
    very aggressive to other dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Could simply ask the owner what kind of dog it is, I mean the owner should know right?
    It's possible ofc. She could have gotten it from legit breeder with actual papers etc, in which case it's ofc a legit case, however, the breed american pit bull terrier, is to my knowledge banned in a fair few places, inclusinf where I live, while american staffordshires are not. They often times look very alike, other times not at all, because different lines, and showlines, use different standards.

If the dog has been bought w/o papers from some backyard private seller (not an insult), the dog can be claimed to be a pit bull, even if it's only a small percentage of pit in genetics, or none at all, it just looks like one, either because of mutt mixes or the likes.

It's not so easy when it comes down to it. I wouldn't make such a fuss out of it had it been, say, an old english sheepdog, as they're very recognizable at a glance, very small margin of error. Not so with these. Mixes that aren't all even terriers can look like an amstaff or pit if the mixed heritage configures that way, and it's dumb to pad a statistic and be disingenuous about it.

It can cause harm to a breed that doesn't deserve it, and keep another under the radar because it gets misslabeled as the most obvious scapegoat.

DNA testing should be mandatory when it comes to these things. I would personally want to know if the overblown statistic is actually true or some people have a huge stick up their ass about something they don't like.