Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Bfa m+ comp predictions

I know final tuning has not been finished. I know that will play a large part in this discussion but Im bored and going to ask anyway. What classes stand out from beta trials as being m+ allstars. Mostly I am refering to toolkits in reference to the current meta which I doubt will change much.

Currently, Tanks need to be as self sufficient as possible to provide healers with dps time or time to do *dirtywork* mechanics. Healers need to have a strong dps option. And dps need to have great aoe (burst or ramp) with at least mild single target and some sort of defensives and utility.

The whole meta seems to be built around as dealing as much damage as possible which is redundant when talking about dps but it really drives the conversation about tanks and heals to me. The tanks that put out high dps and can sustain themselves see higher keys. Which heals can dps during the downtimes are able to add to group dps. Having utility is always a bonus.

My 2c:

Dh/dk just like we see now will shine for tanks. Dk has grip, brez and ams. Dh has aoe silence, has the brand for magic dr, and now provides the 5% magic buff. Both heal themselves very well.

Healers to me looks like there are 3 choices for *dps* healers. Fistweaving monks apply the physical debuff, and look like they are going back to a mop style of play. Disc is back, with good damage, and now arr able to heal without doing damage so no need to be chain pulling like a fiend on grievous weeks. And hpal has avenging crusader. Even without it the spec hasnt changed much from the current version which can shockadin effectively.

Dps classes will vary greatly based on tuning but i wouldnt be surprised to see groups focus on physical or magical damage types so they can milk the dh/monk buffs without the need to take both. Raids wont have to worry as much but with only 5 players making the group take one of each seems steep. And every group needs at least one brez so a lock/druid/dk will be manditory.

Warlock looks strong again (demo atm but they all look good). Boomkin got the rework. Ele shaman have more survivability options now.

Oh and the new buffs. You can get welfare scrolls but the pure versions might be better if you are focusing on physical or magic for a *progression comp*.

Thoughts? Any standouts? I know its early but its hard to keep my mind from chewing on this topic.

It's not just too early to tell (because the specs are still undergoing tuning), it's essentially impossible to foresee.

Classes will react differently to gearing and with the expansion going on, things will change...

Madness will consume you!!!

Deleted
    Yes. But you can definitely say things like:

You dont want heavy melee comps. Melees take more damage and too many mobs have some kind of cleave.

The meta isnt easy to predict. But warlocks dominated Legion and they totally dominate BfA Beta (all 3 specs). They have strong aoe, stuns, healthstones, bress and great survivability. And all of this being a ranged.

Rogues still offer highest survivability. Together with sap and group stealth you should be able to skip difficult packs. Tricks will help with potential aggro issues. I heard they even have strong aoe options but i cant confirm it. If their aoe is strong i see them topping the metres.

Some kind of dh should be nice. Havocs offers an aoe stun, magical debuff, strong cds and survivability for big pulls. I see them as a strong melee choice.

The other ranged dps specs are actually close. Melee comps always struggle more. Ranged simply can ignore or avoid too much damage.

The bottom currently is enhancement shaman. Very low AOE, low survivability, low group utility. Especially the low aoe burst makes the spec unplayable in m+.
    Last edited by mmoc4ec7d51a68; 2018-06-11 at 11:59 AM.

Deleted
    It's far too early to tell since we see Blizzard is only just starting with class tuning and we haven't seen any M+ testing yet, which we hopefully will.

That said, I do think there are some relatively safe early picks in the following:

Tank: DH
    Healer: Paladin
    DPS: Warlocks, Mages, Rogues.

I'll honestly be extremely surprised if these aren't competitive in a high key setting.

It could be a bloodbath for FOTM rerollers if we get another "LEGION-Warlock-like-highsDPS-highSURV" range class again, because this time with raider.io from the start a class, like LEGION-warlock with at least +1000 more r.io rating as the next best class with same playerskill, will force players to reroll to the clearly superior/easier meta class.

There is no indication from the beta for a melee centric expansion pack. There could be still a heavy tuning shift towards melee specs, but thats highly unlikely because of PVE-RAID balance.

With blizzards baby step approach to M+/PvE balance, I have very little hopes for a smooth M+ start like we saw in legion.
    -

Raw numbers dictate the META and given the current volatility on the BETA there is simply no way to even start making these assumptions. Hell, look at the WW shift from 7.3.0 to 7.3.2, their utility didn't change in the slightest but they went from non-existent to by far the highest melee at the ultra-high keys.

Believe me, as much as I would love to start speculating and working out my team comps, it is just way to early to tell.

7+ Year Old Account
    Of course raw numbers are going to have a huge indication but there are other indicators that will have large play which are looking more and more concrete. Only 3 classes give brez and there is no *scroll or drum* mechanic to replace it. So any serious group is looking to grab one of those. The 5% damage buffs from monk and dh i feel also are super strong and exclusive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuniqt View Post
    Of course raw numbers are going to have a huge indication but there are other indicators that will have large play which are looking more and more concrete. Only 3 classes give brez and there is no *scroll or drum* mechanic to replace it. So any serious group is looking to grab one of those. The 5% damage buffs from monk and dh i feel also are super strong and exclusive.
    Actually there is a consumable combat ress item in BfA:
    http://bfa.wowhead.com/item=158379/u...l-time-shifter

Has double the cast time (4 sec instead of 2) compared to the classes that have it, while some classes have it as instant even. It also doesn't have a 100% success rate making it super unreliable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    Has double the cast time (4 sec instead of 2) compared to the classes that have it, while some classes have it as instant even. It also doesn't have a 100% success rate making it super unreliable.
    Currently in Legion Engineering item cannot fail in mythic plus or raids, I doubt this one will be able to. The failure also seems to indicate that the caster takes damage, rather than it failing to revive the person.

The cast time really isn't a problem when you're allowed to bring a class that is not a druid/dk/warlock. Not that those classes are bad, but feeling forced to bring a resto druid, boomkin or warlock was awful.

Wouldn't choose a comp but if I had to take a guess at things we will see a lot of use in high keys.
    Tank: DH - Same reasons as live.
    Healer: Pally, Druid - Same reasons as live.
    DPS: Warlock, Mage, Druid, Shaman - Same reasons as live.

Nothing in BfA beta so far has changed on a fundamental level to the classes we currently see in high keys or the reasons why they are taken, so I see no reason why it wont be the same at the top end.

10+ Year Old Account
    The inability to switch gear in BFA will place significant emphasis on defensive abilities of class. Classes with low defensive capabilities / lack of immunities can no longer offset this by sacrificing performance for suitability encounter to encounter. They will either survive and suck or perform and die. It will also place more emphasis on the ability to both ST and AOE within a single spec / gear set up. Those with a robust toolkit will perform better while who are niche will fair far worse unless they are broken op.

you will be switching gear. instead of legiondaries you will swap azerite gear.

inb4 "all azerite gear sucks". because regardless of what you think of it, its there and will be swapped around.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    you will be switching gear. instead of legiondaries you will swap azerite gear.

inb4 "all azerite gear sucks". because regardless of what you think of it, its there and will be swapped around.
    except that currently you are not allowed to swap gear in beta, which i reaaaaaaaaaaaally hope its a bug.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezark View Post
    Wouldn't choose a comp but if I had to take a guess at things we will see a lot of use in high keys.
    Tank: DH - Same reasons as live.
    Healer: Pally, Druid - Same reasons as live.
    DPS: Warlock, Mage, Druid, Shaman - Same reasons as live.

Nothing in BfA beta so far has changed on a fundamental level to the classes we currently see in high keys or the reasons why they are taken, so I see no reason why it wont be the same at the top end.
    There are changes. Boomkins bear form is now only 20% more hp, not 55%. Hunters lose their defensive trait so that they baseline have less def cds. Warlocks will have lower self heal.

So far i presume you will still want to have 3 ranged. You can always pick 1 melee - thats where dhs for their utility and aoe burst play an important role if you have no dh tank. And rogues for their great defensives and utility.

But if you prefer 3 ranged you just have 5 classes to choose from. Shadow wont be desired. So it is warlock and mage (both are strongest dps in beta right now), hunter and then boomkin>elemental>shadow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    except that currently you are not allowed to swap gear in beta, which i reaaaaaaaaaaaally hope its a bug.
    If thats true it pretty sure is intentional. They dont want you to change talents so not changing gear is fine. You gotta decide now if you use the tank trinkets all the time or the aoe vs st trinket.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    Actually there is a consumable combat ress item in BfA:
    http://bfa.wowhead.com/item=158379/u...l-time-shifter
    Well look at that. I can honestly say its about time, a skill that impactful needed something like this. I stand corrected.

I still think because of the ranged heavy aspect - and most ranged being casters - it makes sense to play around the dh 5% magic damage buff. It also sounds like they compete for the top tank spot with dks in m+ so that gives them an edge imo.

If you bring say a hunter or rogue to that comp they miss out on the buff unless your hiding a monk somewhere as well. Running say:

DH tank
    Warlock
    Mage
    Boomkin>ele>shadow
    And a disc priest because their damage is magic as well...

You can really milk that buff. Again, numbers will dictate certain things but your hunter lets say would have to bring the same utility and 5% more damage than a spell damage class to beat one of the casters due to their buffed spell damage. 5% seems steep to me. Or is there some way to replicate that buff that i missed as well >.>
    Last edited by Nuniqt; 2018-06-13 at 12:35 PM.

For once I would like prot warrior to be good in M+.

Deleted
    Seeing how you can no longer switch gear after starting M+ dungeons, going to be gear optimization are huge factor. No more speed sets.

Necrotic + tank threat reduction really makes misdirection shine. I can see hunters being a very valuable class.
    Last edited by mmoce81e69ea37; 2018-06-13 at 09:02 PM.

I have an idea...

Last edited by Khallid; 2018-06-13 at 09:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alright View Post
    Seeing how you can no longer switch gear after starting M+ dungeons, going to be gear optimization are huge factor. No more speed sets.
    I had completely missed that change, but I absolutely love it. As a tank it was incredibly irritating to have dps complain that they needed another second before the next pull to switch out whatever piece of gear, and it would probably have been worse with azerite armour and their traits.