Beta Key Giveaway Week 2: Winners have been selected!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    How is a channeled spell annoying? It's more damage if you have to move. Having to move 80% into a Shadow Bolt cast will feel super bad. Also having to clip Shadow Bolt to refresh dots will feel bad too.
    It's virtually a nonsensical stance probably fueled by the same people who think the Vanilla WoW project will be great.

    A channel is virtually the same as a hardcast with the exception that the channel can do partial damage in the case of movement.

    There is no reason why anyone who had a clue about performance in both pve and pvp would prefer the hardcast over the channel.

  2. #22
    I was a bc-era lock. When they switched from bolts and snipes to channeled as filler I moved to destro. I don't like to be rooted into place (also especially miss the haste-based play style that we lost mid-pandaland). I prefer to cast and move versus stand still for a channel.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    How can anyone prefer shadow bolt over drain soul?
    Because I'm playing a Warlock not a Shadow Priest. Warlocks cast... Shadow Priest channel... may not be that way anymore but that was why I chose my Warlock over the Shadow Priest initially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Because I'm playing a Warlock not a Shadow Priest. Warlocks cast... Shadow Priest channel... may not be that way anymore but that was why I chose my Warlock over the Shadow Priest initially.
    Great, so now you are not a shadow priest, but a fire mage, balance druid, or elemental shaman instead lol.

  5. #25
    Gosh, if only Blizzard had somehow given us the choice of which to use then we wouldn't have to have this silly debate

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    Would rather our damage didn't get balanced around an execute. That would make us utter dogshit for m+ and fights with priority adds would become even worse.
    Is it that bad if ONE of a pure dps' specs is bad in m+? I'd rather have affliction excel in it's niche and be poor on trash than the developers constantly trying to tune it to work in an environment that dot classes aren't really designed around and having the complete mess affliction often devolves into as a result.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    There is no reason why anyone who had a clue about performance in both pve and pvp would prefer the hardcast over the channel.
    If you can't figure out why TBC / WOTLK / Cata SB/SE has advantages over channeled filler than I don't think you have any right to be giving lectures about performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    Great, so now you are not a shadow priest, but a fire mage, balance druid, or elemental shaman instead lol.
    There are 2 dot classes in the game that might have any issues with class identity, I'm sure you can figure out what they are. I'll give you a clue, affliction isn't one of the warlock specs that has ever been called a discount fire mage.

  7. #27
    I am Murloc! Schattenlied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wasington State
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    The only thing fun about SB was nightfall procs, but even without drain soul healing, a channel is still always better than a hardcast because if you have to move say 75% of the way in to a channel, at least it still does SOME damage, whereas if you have to move 75% of the way in to a shadow bolt cast you don't do any damage at all.
    Because it was more balanced.

    A class' primary DPS spammable shouldn't also be an extremely potent heal. Imagine if they took Ret Paladins, replaced Templar's Verdict with Justicar's Vengeance, and dropped JV's Holy Power cost to 3. No one would find that acceptable. If something is also gonna heal, it should come at the cost of DPS, as it was before when they had to use Drain Life to heal, not be a part of your optimal DPS.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2018-06-15 at 01:22 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Is it that bad if ONE of a pure dps' specs is bad in m+? I'd rather have affliction excel in it's niche and be poor on trash than the developers constantly trying to tune it to work in an environment that dot classes aren't really designed around and having the complete mess affliction often devolves into as a result.



    If you can't figure out why TBC / WOTLK / Cata SB/SE has advantages over channeled filler than I don't think you have any right to be giving lectures about performance.



    There are 2 dot classes in the game that might have any issues with class identity, I'm sure you can figure out what they are. I'll give you a clue, affliction isn't one of the warlock specs that has ever been called a discount fire mage.
    1- Yes, it's that fucking bad. Because the vast majority of people participate in m+, and people who main affliction also tend to prefer that their spec not suck ass so it can have a raid gimmick instead.

    DoT classes don't need to suck in M+. Balance druid is also a dot class and it never sucked in M+.

    2- If you say so

    3- Whoosh, right over your head. The point is that arguing that affliction sharing a drain filler with spriest making them too alike is outright retarded as claiming that casting shadowbolt would make them too akin to dot using specs that have a hardcast filler.

    Spriest and affliction could not possibly be more different specs despite some superficial filler similarity, much like how affliction with shadowbolt is not a knockoff moonkin just because it hardcast a filler.

  9. #29
    Moderator -aiko-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The House of All Worlds
    Posts
    9,939
    How can anyone prefer drain soul over shadow bolt?

    Nothing is more fun than pressing a button then doing nothing.

  10. #30
    I Feel like in order to really appreciate SB Affliction you would have had to play it in Wotlk Drain soul is fine as a Execute but not as a 100% filler
    ntm dat SB Glyph was fucking sick

  11. #31
    When I came back during MoP I loved how Aff's new filler was malefic graps/drain soul. I especially loved how, at least to me, the visuals looked they were going in different directions (graps was pumping dark energies into your target, drain was actually draining a target's essence). Over the years though I've grown quite sick of it. Like someone else said, if drain soul was a much shorter channel, it would probably feel much better. As it stands right now you just sit there and look at your channel bar tick down. It's so boring. A friend who has mained lock this whole expansion told me he refreshes the channel every GCD just to feel like he's doing something. IMO that's when you know something's wrong and I don't think the issue lies with my friend. At least shadowbolt feels more satisfying when you do launch it and you're doing more over the course of a fight.

    As far as DPS goes ofc drain soul is better, but that's only part of the discussion.
    Last edited by Auryiel; 2018-06-15 at 02:40 AM.

  12. #32
    option a: get severely punished for having to move
    option b: dont get severely punished for having to move

    yeah, it's a regular sophie's choice that one

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    option a: get severely punished for having to move
    option b: dont get severely punished for having to move

    yeah, it's a regular sophie's choice that one
    If you're having trouble understanding why, you should look more to feeling than movement penalty calculations.

    A lot of us preferred the old shadowbolt because it feels better to hit hard. Feels even better when you get an instant cast proc, especially if it procced while you were casting a shadowbolt so you could launch 2 of them back to back.
    And then we got to drain as an execute which ticked even harder than a shadowbolt. Best of both worlds.

    Not sure what I think about the new animation though, it does remind me of confetti as someone else said.

  14. #34
    Bloodsail Admiral Totikki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,204
    As someone that played a warlock from vanilla and through expansions I prefer Shadowbolts. It just feels better imo. Also I loved nightfall procs, I hope they are back in BFA?

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
    If you're having trouble understanding why, you should look more to feeling than movement penalty calculations.

    A lot of us preferred the old shadowbolt because it feels better to hit hard. Feels even better when you get an instant cast proc, especially if it procced while you were casting a shadowbolt so you could launch 2 of them back to back.
    And then we got to drain as an execute which ticked even harder than a shadowbolt. Best of both worlds.

    Not sure what I think about the new animation though, it does remind me of confetti as someone else said.
    it's not gonna hit hard though, it's just a filler :P


    but anyway, is it really worht sacrificing an insane amount of mobility so instead a of a bluiish line you shoot out purple arrows?

  16. #36
    keeping the key down the whole time vs 1 short press of key.

    Drain soul is much more fatiguing. holding down the key the whole time. yawn. getting tired . yawn. sleep.

    Shadowbolt: woa proc. bam. hit key. watch it fly. get excited as it hits, watch big number on screen. continue with rotation, happy about not having to hold down that freaking drainsoul key the whole time like in legion.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by oddmole View Post
    I was a bc-era lock. When they switched from bolts and snipes to channeled as filler I moved to destro. I don't like to be rooted into place (also especially miss the haste-based play style that we lost mid-pandaland). I prefer to cast and move versus stand still for a channel.
    do you even understand your own text ?


    you are rooted with both a Cast and a channel.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    keeping the key down the whole time vs 1 short press of key.

    Drain soul is much more fatiguing. holding down the key the whole time. yawn. getting tired . yawn. sleep.

    Shadowbolt: woa proc. bam. hit key. watch it fly. get excited as it hits, watch big number on screen. continue with rotation, happy about not having to hold down that freaking drainsoul key the whole time like in legion.
    pushing a button once every 5 sec vs once every 1.5

  18. #38
    DS is much more satisfying than shadow bolt especially for Affliction lock. Hard cast is satisfying only when you're casting something strong like chaos bolt/arcane blast/Full Moon because you know you're about to hit a blow. But shadow bolt is designed to do little damage since most of the spec's damage should come from dots. DS is much better because it hits every second and so it fills the fantasy of you rotting someone with lots of small hits while draining the soul of your victim.
    Screw you who asked for SB.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    it's not gonna hit hard though, it's just a filler :P


    but anyway, is it really worht sacrificing an insane amount of mobility so instead a of a bluiish line you shoot out purple arrows?
    Yeah, but DS doesn't hit hard either. It's basically just another dot.
    I wouldn't call DS insane amount of mobility but if most of our damage comes from dots, moving won't be that penalizing in the first place.
    Movement never really bothered me that much in the past either. I could maybe see an issue if you roll with Shadow Embrace and no DS at max range.

    I don't know how the damage breakdown is in BFA but perhaps the new animation is to reflect the sad amount of damage SB now does? I hope not.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    keeping the key down the whole time vs 1 short press of key.

    Drain soul is much more fatiguing. holding down the key the whole time. yawn. getting tired . yawn. sleep.

    Shadowbolt: woa proc. bam. hit key. watch it fly. get excited as it hits, watch big number on screen. continue with rotation, happy about not having to hold down that freaking drainsoul key the whole time like in legion.
    Wait, what? You don't have to hold down a key to channel, you just hit it once.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •