Thread: The Boys

Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Kinda hate how suddenly there's politics in this latest episode. Like anyone who rails against SJWs is bad and a secret nazi (Stormfront), and the fact that the congresswoman is an obvious stand-in for AOC (or the left's idea of AOC, which is very smart and capable, basically the opposite of reality). Also, everyone knows the left can't meme and that political memes are mostly a right-wing thing, so having a character who goes crazy looking at memes is a clear shot at the right, not to mention unbelievable?

Like why target someone you suspect of having SUPER POWERS with a gun? He literally asks if he's "bulletproof" before shooting him, and...presumably he then shoots him *because* he believes he is bulletproof? How does that make sense? If he is a super terrorist then you're just going to piss him off and he'll just kill you OR you shoot him, doesn't work, and you go to jail for shooting someone because it's not like being a supe is illegal or anything...it's not like exposing his powers really does anything to him. And the fact that the ONLY evidence he had was that his eyes "flashed" was pathetic. If you're going to lash out at a certain faction of people why wouldn't you pick A. someone who you KNOW you can kill and B. someone who you KNOW is actually part of that faction. It would have made more sense if he tried to kill like a pro-immigration politician or something like that (because he believes open borders would lead to more super terrorists) rather than some random clerk. Just goes to show whenever a show tries to get every slightly woke the writing goes all to hell.
    Last edited by Lemons; 2020-10-03 at 09:23 AM.

I think you're overthinking the shop shooting. the shooter was clearly losing his grip on reality (maybe mindcontrolled even, but I doubt it) and was started to see what he feared everywhere. so far it looks like most of the main Supes are bulletproof, but maybe the lesser ones aren't? or the guy was just so messed up he wasn't thinking about that at all

and just because Stormfront opposes something doesn't mean that only evil people do. pretty sure Butcher's insulted SJWs too (probably he's insulted everyone though)

The political aspect didn't bother me. The fact is that the far right often handwave criticisms of their claims as just "SJWs". I didn't get the vibe that they were saying all critics of "wokism" are just like Stormfront. The message I took was that folks on the far right weaponise anti SJW sentiment (I really don't like that term, not really sure what term to use, I think adherents to critical theory might be more apt), and use the term SJW as a way to dismiss people (in much the same way some on the far left use the term Nazi to dismiss people they don't like) and that thinking critically about things is important, e.g. just because a woke person makes a claim doesn't mean that they are being unreasonable or wrong. I am by no means an SJW or of that persuasion, there are plenty of valid criticisms and concerns to have about that side that don't make you a Nazi, I bring that up only to make the point that I am not simply being an SJW saying "nothing to see here", I am not one, and I don't think there is really anything to see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Kinda hate how suddenly there's politics in this latest episode.
    Wait, you are almost 7 episodes into the season and are only now realizing there's politics in the show? They literally had the Nazi character talk about the "war for the culture" and they show her spreading misinformation to a gullible base in order to cover up the stuff Homelander did. It's not really "sudden".

There were politics throughout. In season 1 it played into Homelander and how he mobilised the christian base, there are clear parallels with politicians and how they play to that crowd. The way that Vought disingenuously latch onto #MeToo when it suits them, despite clearly not giving a shit is a clear comment on how dishonest companies can be in trying to be seen to move with the zeitgeist but only on a surface level for self promotional purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Kinda hate how suddenly there's politics in this latest episode.
    There was politics since season 1.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong here, but that scene is basically Stormfront using propaganda to get her followers to kill those she disagrees with, similar to how Hitler did it, only more modern. It is political but it’s to show more of Stormfronts’ Nazi agenda, which, according to her bio, is her character arc.

Also, even though the shooter saw a flash in the victim’s eye, I suspect he was a target because of his race—not because he was assumed to be a “super villain”. I believe “super villain”, to Stormfront, really means people that aren’t white. That’s why her comments are also similar to Trump’s when he talks about “illegals” (Mexicans) coming into the US and bringing their “crime, drugs”, etc... that they’re “dangerous criminals”. It’s fear mongering and racism.

She is a racist Nazi, after all.
    hitler churchill roosevelt stalin mao

pick a a fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong here, but that scene is basically Stormfront using propaganda to get her followers to kill those she disagrees with, similar to how Hitler did it, only more modern. It is political but it’s to show more of Stormfronts’ Nazi agenda, which, according to her bio, is her character arc.

Also, even though the shooter saw a flash in the victim’s eye, I suspect he was a target because of his race—not because he was assumed to be a “super villain”. I believe “super villain”, to Stormfront, really means people that aren’t white. That’s why her comments are also similar to Trump’s when he talks about “illegals” (Mexicans) coming into the US and bringing their “crime, drugs”, etc... that they’re “dangerous criminals”. It’s fear mongering and racism.

She is a racist Nazi, after all.
    Except people crossing the border illegally are bringing drugs and committing crimes. How is that not an indisputable fact? Is it racism because orange man bad? There are literal tunnels meant for drug smuggling. Illegals have been arrested and deported for drug crimes and come back and murder people, again indisputable facts.

I think that is their problem with the rhetoric in the episode. I do not like Trump, but this year has made me dislike the democratic party even less, and seeing shit like what you just said furthers it. Using an outright Nazi that has murdered people of color using terms that the typical person on the right uses like "snowflake" and "sjw" and a play on "make america great again" tying outright nazism to the right is stupid as hell.

If black noir went through the streets setting fire to businesses spray painting "black people matter" and killing business owners in their stores. You WOULD be losing your shit right now at that portrayal, don't even pretend you wouldn't.

We're going to stop the politics talk, since yall can't play nice.

Kinda hate how suddenly there's politics in this latest episode. Like anyone who rails against SJWs is bad and a secret nazi (Stormfront), and the fact that the congresswoman is an obvious stand-in for AOC (or the left's idea of AOC, which is very smart and capable, basically the opposite of reality). Also, everyone knows the left can't meme and that political memes are mostly a right-wing thing, so having a character who goes crazy looking at memes is a clear shot at the right, not to mention unbelievable?

Like why target someone you suspect of having SUPER POWERS with a gun? He literally asks if he's "bulletproof" before shooting him, and...presumably he then shoots him *because* he believes he is bulletproof? How does that make sense? If he is a super terrorist then you're just going to piss him off and he'll just kill you OR you shoot him, doesn't work, and you go to jail for shooting someone because it's not like being a supe is illegal or anything...it's not like exposing his powers really does anything to him. And the fact that the ONLY evidence he had was that his eyes "flashed" was pathetic. If you're going to lash out at a certain faction of people why wouldn't you pick A. someone who you KNOW you can kill and B. someone who you KNOW is actually part of that faction. It would have made more sense if he tried to kill like a pro-immigration politician or something like that (because he believes open borders would lead to more super terrorists) rather than some random clerk. Just goes to show whenever a show tries to get every slightly woke the writing goes all to hell.
    This very post is political, seeing as you dismiss Neuman's real-life comparison as the "opposite of [smart and capable]."

And there's ample evidence shooters are propagandized regularly by misinformation on TV.

Most of all, the fact that you're only now understanding the political undertones of this show which have existed from the very beginning is sad. The two main villains are named Stormfront (after the neo-Nazi forums) and Homelander (after the much-hated Department of Homeland Security, created in the wake of the uber-patriotic insanity right after 9/11).

Hell, in s1 Homelander literally stands on the wreckage (of a plane) and pretty much gives George W. Bush's speech atop the wreckage of the Twin Towers verbatim. The irony, of course, being that he has something to do with bringing down the plane, and he's been working to create false flags for this whole season by creating "foreign" supes.

I mean, what's next? Are you gonna be one of those guys who laments that Rage Against the Machine and Green Day are *now* too political for you when they were always political? Maybe you should pay more attention.

Come on, man. I can only think of this meme:

Anyway, that last episode was pretty good. I really liked the theme of fathers and sons... perhaps this is hinting at Black Noir's real identity? Not quite as good as last week's episode, though the ending did elevate things a bit. I love that this show embraces the ultra violence but it never seems stupidly over-the-top as is often the case in these sorts of shows (see: The Belko Experiment).

As for this latest episode, specifically the last scene:

1) My first thought was obviously Cindy. I don't think it's clearly established she needs line of sight, and she might be used as a weapon by people at the lab, as one of the subjects was executed for not following Stormfront's orders in terms of using his powers to harm someone, iirc.

2) The victims at the hearings are pretty random. The head of the committee, but not the face of the anti-supe Congresspeople. The Speedster supe who is new to the team, but not Homelander/Stormfront/Maeve. Random people in the audience. It seems something random MIGHT point to Cindy.

3) But then you have to ask: what does disrupting the committee do for people's agendas? It does seem to align with the Church's priorities except in a few areas: a) why not kill Neuman, the Congresswoman most vocally opposed to the supe agenda, or Mallory, who Vought supposedly would know about, b) why not kill other supes to get the Seven more under the Church's control? and 3) why not just explode the Archer's head if he's speaking out against the Church and they can explode heads remotely?

4) Other things: I'm surprised Homelander doesn't just come back and kill Rachel. She's obviously gonna run to Billy now.

5) As usual, this show is so on-the-nose about its real life parallels, it's almost discombobulating. Admittedly, I'm very involved in politics, but it is jarring. Unlike the above poster, I've had this sense of disorientation since episode 1 when you find out Homelander is a piece of shit masking himself in patriotism, and The Deep sexually assaults Starlight.

Last edited by eschatological; 2020-10-04 at 12:21 AM.

I think its Vought International behind the exploding heads.

Supe-Terroist Attacks Hearing!

It deflects the attention away from the Compound V issue, infact it gives the push for more Supes to act as counter-terroists more weight. By NOT targetting those specifically against what they've been doing (AOC chick) it diverts attention away from them orchestrating it all.

I reckon they're aware of SF and HL plans and antics, but are keeping them out of the loop. I think Vought and SF have similar end-goals but arn't working together.
    Last edited by cyberglum; 2020-10-04 at 01:09 AM.

I think its the Church.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Except people crossing the border illegally are bringing drugs and committing crimes. How is that not an indisputable fact? Is it racism because orange man bad? There are literal tunnels meant for drug smuggling. Illegals have been arrested and deported for drug crimes and come back and murder people, again indisputable facts.

I think that is their problem with the rhetoric in the episode. I do not like Trump, but this year has made me dislike the democratic party even less, and seeing shit like what you just said furthers it. Using an outright Nazi that has murdered people of color using terms that the typical person on the right uses like "snowflake" and "sjw" and a play on "make america great again" tying outright nazism to the right is stupid as hell.

If black noir went through the streets setting fire to businesses spray painting "black people matter" and killing business owners in their stores. You WOULD be losing your shit right now at that portrayal, don't even pretend you wouldn't.
    exept every statistic shows illigal imigration to be on the decline(prior to trumps atrocities on the border),and statisticaly immigrants are a tiny % of crime per capita,most crime specialy violent crime in usa is done by right wing groups,thats simply a fact

also i find it hilarious that you bring up how immigrants bring drugs,when usa is to blame for the drug crime and the drug issues that have developed in south america

btw ''it made you dislike the democratic party even less'',i think you ment to say more lol,and yeah i agree the dem party is a parody

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Ignoring that the show has bene political from day one.

The whole point of the starting sequences it to show how people can unravel form propaganda and be move to do nonsensical extreme things something that has happened many times in the past few years to people on the right and left, mostly the right.

Would you like a fresca
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

7+ Year Old Account
    I still wonder how the fuck they will kill the guys like "homelander, who are virtually invulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I think its the Church.
    i think this will still hve a party to play in all this, no way its just for a gag.

He literally asks if he's "bulletproof" before shooting him, and...presumably he then shoots him *because* he believes he is bulletproof? How does that make sense?
    21st Century Witch Trial. If he shoots someone who is bulletproof, then you have exposed that person as a witch, I mean, super-terrorist. If he's not bulletproof, then he still might be a witch. If he's actually innocent, he gets to go to heaven.

Back in the day it was assumed that you couldn't drown a witch. A good person would sink, a witch floats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I still wonder how the fuck they will kill the guys like "homelander, who are virtually invulnerable.
    Send an equally powerful super after him. Then the other supe who is wounded by the big fight is shot to death by a lot of big guns with armour piercing ammo. Butcher then stabs that person in his exposed brain with a crowbar.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Send an equally powerful super after him. Then the other supe who is wounded by the big fight is shot to death by a lot of big guns with armour piercing ammo. Butcher then stabs that person in his exposed brain with a crowbar.
    is this something that happens in the hq? cause seems like it will backfire like anything else