Thread: The Boys

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ...
17
25
26
27
28
29
... LastLast
  1. #521
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    35,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Do we actually know if she's dead though? Homelander said she is 'contained'. She is pretty hardy, able to take Homelanders eyebeams so she might have some powers that will allow her to live on in some manner. I guess we'll need to wait and see/
    We don't really. Homelander could be lying.That means there are two supes in unknown state: Stormfront and BlackNoir. But in the comics - not sure if it was said in the series - dead supes can be revived with Compound V. Then again, Stormfront would have all her limbs transplanted - I doubt her superpower can grow them back

  2. #522
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    22,182
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Am I the only one who thought the beatdown had one eye on Endgame, saying "this is how you do the whole female empowerment thing"?

    Like with Endgame, I won't lie, I cringed a little. It was awesome, but cringy, well meaning but I kind of felt that it was patting the female audience on the head a little. This though, I was like "fuck yes!", it felt much more organic.
    I don't think they could care less about Endgame. It's just a shared theme that they were able to present more naturally where Endgame was full of fan service shot, not just the one with all the ladies in it.

    The whole show is about breaking the campy realm that superhero movies exists in.

    Also the show has its own subplot of pop culture female empowerment vs real female empowerment - Maeve's and Starlight's entire media personas basically cut with how they are when they aren't doing publicity gigs for Vought. So really the show is examining real life in general. Remember 'Girls get it done' was a tagline from when Vought made her to to a "sexual assault surviving sec symbol" then doubled down on it in their money. If anything was a jab at Endgame it was the movie they were shooting.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    Thought it was less cringy than the endgame one. But I still think it could've been done better. I think the issue for me is the 3v1 which feels a little dishonorable. I would've preferred Maeve to lay the smack down alone, or at least not 3 people kicking into someone on the floor.
    Youre looking for honor in this show? Especially when they were facing an immoral that could fire any of them in a 1v1?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    We don't really. Homelander could be lying.That means there are two supes in unknown state: Stormfront and BlackNoir. But in the comics - not sure if it was said in the series - dead supes can be revived with Compound V. Then again, Stormfront would have all her limbs transplanted - I doubt her superpower can grow them back
    Lesser supes required their heads blown off and/or bodies destroyed to be killed. Stormfront is an immoral (or ages extremely slowly) and got her ass kicked by Homelander for 'fun' while healing from all the injuries. I don't think she is dead. They would have shown her dead.
    There's no reason for Vought to say she was still alive if they've publicly denounced her and said she was locked up.

    What I would want to see, even if it's a small cameo, her locked up somewhere in a Vought facility with a broken body - lucid or not. Maybe Vought is experimenting on how now that she is helpless or trying to rebuild (I don't see why Edgar would do that though).

  3. #523
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    35,948
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

    Lesser supes required their heads blown off and/or bodies destroyed to be killed. Stormfront is an immoral (or ages extremely slowly) and got her ass kicked by Homelander for 'fun' while healing from all the injuries. I don't think she is dead. They would have shown her dead.
    There's no reason for Vought to say she was still alive if they've publicly denounced her and said she was locked up.

    What I would want to see, even if it's a small cameo, her locked up somewhere in a Vought facility with a broken body - lucid or not. Maybe Vought is experimenting on how now that she is helpless or trying to rebuild (I don't see why Edgar would do that though).
    The head blown off thing is from the comics? Can they still die from diseases naturally like A-Trains heart condition? Or is that another thing that Comics and Film handle differently.

    Thinking of it, I guess the public / law enforcement would want proof. Like...see her body. So why lie about her status. (Ofc any proof could be faked)

  4. #524
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    22,182
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The head blown off thing is from the comics? Can they still die from diseases naturally like A-Trains heart condition? Or is that another thing that Comics and Film handle differently.

    Thinking of it, I guess the public / law enforcement would want proof. Like...see her body. So why lie about her status. (Ofc any proof could be faked)
    I haven't read the comics but almost supe that died on screen had an extremely violent death. Otherwise they seem to just bounce back eventually. Even Starlight took a sniper round straight to the chest.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-10-11 at 11:20 AM.

  5. #525
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I won't say anything else on the matter, sorry mods, don't want to derail, but I thought that was a disingenuous, needlessly snarky post.

    Try Again.


    Seriously. People are making connections that aren't there. And painting it with their own politics while they're doing it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I haven't read the comics but almost supe that died on screen had an extremely violent death. Otherwise they seem to just bounce back eventually. Even Starlight took a sniper round straight to the chest.
    In the comics the average Supe tends to be pretty durable. The default effect of V is super strength, endurance, some durability and some healing. Very, very few are extremely powerful though. Most don't even come close to the Female who is less strong than Homelander or Stormfront.

    Most are quite killable even if you have to shoot them repeatedly with armor piercing machine gun fire.

  6. #526
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

    Try Again.


    Seriously. People are making connections that aren't there. And painting it with their own politics while they're doing it.
    Idk if there is a connection or not, maybe it was a subtle jab at Marvel.

    Regardless, it was an awesome fight scene, one people watch and think “Marvel, take some fucking notes”. Cause let’s be honest, girl fights are awesome, and we notice when they’re done poorly.
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  7. #527
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Idk if there is a connection or not, maybe it was a subtle jab at Marvel.

    Regardless, it was an awesome fight scene, one people watch and think “Marvel, take some fucking notes”. Cause let’s be honest, girl fights are awesome, and we notice when they’re done poorly.
    Its almost like I posted the actual reference and people still believe what they want to believe.

    The Endgame scene is barely there. The big problem with Endgame is that we knew it was going to be Tony Stark's show with Strange confirming as much in the previous movie. Everything else was superfluous window dressing yet somehow internet whiners managed to magnify one very short scene into a conspiracy to make them feel uncomfortable.

  8. #528
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Its almost like I posted the actual reference and people still believe what they want to believe.

    The Endgame scene is barely there. The big problem with Endgame is that we knew it was going to be Tony Stark's show with Strange confirming as much in the previous movie. Everything else was superfluous window dressing yet somehow internet whiners managed to magnify one very short scene into a conspiracy to make them feel uncomfortable.
    Cause they had an opening scene that was clearly done to make fun of and mimic Avengers, with a cringey/forced “Girls get it done” line that was done purposely, followed by a much more natural fight scene (with girls), using the same line (“Girls do get it done”), and it was awesome.

    The connection, imo, is there.
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2020-10-11 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Typos
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  9. #529
    The reason I think "there's enough there, there," is because this show is a deliberate lampoon of things like the Marvel Cinematic Universe. From them playing up Maeve's sexuality when she was outed by Homelander, to the all female team up movie, to the corporatized image they set up, etc.

    Man, I'd really love for a Chris Evans type to weigh in on The Boys, tbh. LOL.

  10. #530
    Pandaren Monk Ayirasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    1,974
    Took a while to binge it all, but it was fun and worth it. Urban and Starr were great. Loved the gore.

    Might have to binge the comic.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

  11. #531
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I haven't read the comics but almost supe that died on screen had an extremely violent death. Otherwise they seem to just bounce back eventually. Even Starlight took a sniper round straight to the chest.
    In the comics there is a Vought plot to influence a coup in Russia. Their plan is to use a modified Compound V that when ingested can cause a Supes head to explode but only if a certain frequency is heard.

    Also in the comics That The Boys get a refined version of compound V that costs 19 billion $ a shot, the reason for the cost is to dissuade the US Gov from using in in the Armed Forces because of its extreme cost. Makes the Boys 50 times stronger and durable but nothing else which makes them better than 4 out of 5 Supes.

    "Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

  12. #532
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post


    Youre looking for honor in this show? Especially when they were facing an immoral that could fire any of them in a 1v1?
    Not necessarily look for it, it's just that a scene like that doesn't hype me up or make me fist pump. I felt great about the punches Kimiko got in, and I especially liked her smile the moment she realized that she wasn't going to freeze. I also liked Maeve coming in for the save, I just didn't enjoy 3 people kicking someone on the floor. Call me old fashioned I guess.

    And in regards to the power difference, I think the problem there is that it wasn't really previously established where Stormfront was in relation to Maeve or Starlight (though she clearly outmatched Kimiko). Multiple Avengers fighting Thanos doesn't bother me cause that difference was established the second he wrecked Hulk in under a minute, and furthermore because of the way the fights are shot. There's no beating on someone who appears helpless at any point.

    Again, I'm not expecting the boys fights to go like Marvel fights. Obviously this is a more gritty and realistic take, its just that that kind of beatdown doesn't make me feel good, even when the recipient is nazi scum. Had the same thing with the Inglorious bastards "bear jew" scene.

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Cause they had an opening scene that was clearly done to make fun of and mimic Avengers, with a cringey/forced “Girls get it done” line that was done purposely, followed by a much more natural fight scene (with girls), using the same line (“Girls do get it done”), and it was awesome.

    The connection, imo, is there.
    Absolutely the connection is there. This is a very capable crew working on the project. If most people not working in the industry are making this connection they're absolutely aware of it. Thinking otherwise is ridiculous.

  13. #533
    Stormfront, this Right-Wing Nazi cunt got me choking on my biscuits. When she told the kid about "white genocide" I was howling at her bullshit. I read all comics, I know what's coming.

    Hilarious end to vile woman.

  14. #534

  15. #535
    I think it's coo Urban has found success with this show. He is a good actor, a funny person, and seems to be an overall cool and easy-going dude IRL. I wish he would have gotten more recognition for Dredd, but such is life.

  16. #536
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Stormfront, this Right-Wing Nazi cunt got me choking on my biscuits. When she told the kid about "white genocide" I was howling at her bullshit. I read all comics, I know what's coming.

    Hilarious end to vile woman.
    I loved the look on Homefront's face when she said it, even he was a bit uncomfortable.

  17. #537
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    15,822
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The head blown off thing is from the comics? Can they still die from diseases naturally like A-Trains heart condition? Or is that another thing that Comics and Film handle differently.

    Thinking of it, I guess the public / law enforcement would want proof. Like...see her body. So why lie about her status. (Ofc any proof could be faked)
    Comic wise they can die pretty much like normal people translucent for example is just stabbed to death by billy though it takes a bunch of stabs.

    They pretty much Can just come back as brain damaged Zombies which vought uses for pr before hiding them away. Lamplighter for examples dies and gets brought back and then “retires” from the 7 and ends up sitting in a dark room trying to light his lamp with his own crap for years.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    In the comics there is a Vought plot to influence a coup in Russia. Their plan is to use a modified Compound V that when ingested can cause a Supes head to explode but only if a certain frequency is heard.
    I could be wrong but wasn’t that the case for all compound V?

    wasn't billy gonna set off the frequency world wide at the end and kill all the sups/any one with slight compound v including him self and huege the last boy?

    Or am i miss remembering something?

  18. #538
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Yeah but especially the Butcher character in the show is so damn anti superpowers it just wouldn't work in the universe they've setup. Sure they can still change this down the road but it will take a season or two to develop that character to the point oh him injecting compund V in their veins.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Atleast in this season. It might still lead somewhere in s3
    It'd actually be pretty easy to quickly explain why all of them would take it.

    Frenchie would take it because of his relationship with the Female (want's to feel what she feels/thinks he can help protect her/etc).
    Mothers Milk would take it in order to protect his family.
    Hughie would take it because he feels so powerless compared to everyone else so much.
    And Butcher would probably be some sort of thing where he's critically injured and they think it's the only way to save him so they inject him with it while he's unconscious/bleeding out and becomes something that keeps him angry and now his character growth becomes something like "be better than Homelander and don't just abuse your powers" or something along those lines.

    That'd take one or two episodes tops.

  19. #539
    So Jensen Ackles doing a Cap America piss take character. That could be great. And seeing the first team of Seven before THE seven.

    Interesting they are going back in time to the roots of vought and the nazi origin angle. Not surprising though from the supernatural showrunner which was also a lore heavy show.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  20. #540
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    It'd actually be pretty easy to quickly explain why all of them would take it.

    Frenchie would take it because of his relationship with the Female (want's to feel what she feels/thinks he can help protect her/etc).
    Mothers Milk would take it in order to protect his family.
    Hughie would take it because he feels so powerless compared to everyone else so much.
    And Butcher would probably be some sort of thing where he's critically injured and they think it's the only way to save him so they inject him with it while he's unconscious/bleeding out and becomes something that keeps him angry and now his character growth becomes something like "be better than Homelander and don't just abuse your powers" or something along those lines.

    That'd take one or two episodes tops.
    It doesn’t even take 1-2 episodes. In the comics they take it because it allows them to go toe to toe with most of the Supes. The exceptions being those like Homelander, which they work the blackmail angle to keep him in line.
    Personally, I’m not a fan of all the liberties the show has taken from the comics, even though I do enjoy both. After the s2 finale it became apparent that the writers made it based off of the idea of The Boys from before Hughie in the comics. The writers just added Hughie and his story to it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •