Thread: The Boys

Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    My bad. I was indeed skeptical based on the OP, but they really knocked it outta the park. If you haven’t checked it out yet Invincible is pretty great as well.
    Yep, Invincible was pretty bad ass too. Shouldn't the second season be coming soon?

- - - Updated - - -

On-topic: I thought it was pretty obvious after the hearing the AOC clone was the head exploder...
    It was either her or the Church but the latter was way too obvious.

It seems the analytics for the Boys really fell off a cliff. Could be the new Prey trailer yesterday but the downward trend is consistent for The Boys on social media.

Amazon will have to do something to get people talking about this show again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if people are like me: I don't go for/follow hypes on social media. Let's just wait and see in twee weeks when the first episode is available

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It seems the analytics for the Boys really fell off a cliff. Could be the new Prey trailer yesterday but the downward trend is consistent for The Boys on social media.

Amazon will have to do something to get people talking about this show again.
    Yeah - like release a new episode? (as in 'something to do')

I mean maybe I'm being crazy here - but is it 'bad analytics' for a show to not be trending when it hasn't released a new episode in almost a year? (or longer, I can't remember anymore lol) *I* would think that's pretty normal but hey *shrugs* I'm not in the business.

Now - if the new episodes are out and people still aren't talking; that's something they should worry about.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    but is it 'bad analytics' for a show to not be trending when it hasn't released a new episode in almost a year?
    Yes. Especially this week with upfront and memorial day weekend being over programmed?

I work in market research. have been so busy at work since the second week of April, I only been sleeping like 4-5 hours a night for almost a month now. And we're still booking focus sessions up to June 21st. That literally was dropped on my desk like 20 mins before I was headed home today.

Amazon, Hulu, Disney, Discovery, Paramount+, and Apple all want that Euphoria/Bridgeton buzz this week.

I think Discovery is going tomorrow.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-05-18 at 01:33 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Especially this week with upfront and memorial day weekend being over programmed?

I work in market research. have been so busy at work since the second week of April, I only been sleeping like 4-5 hours a night for almost a month now. And we're still booking focus sessions up to June 21st. That literally was dropped on my desk like 20 mins before I was headed home today.

Amazon, Hulu, Disney, Discovery, Paramount+, and Apple all want that Euphoria/Bridgeton buzz this week.

I think Discovery is going tomorrow.
    Oh, I am not doubting what you know through your work and all of that - I realize what you're saying - about the 'social media buzz' not being there.

I guess just, from the 'fan' or "general person" perspective (who doesn't live by social media anyway), not hearing 'huge buzz' about a show weeks out from its release date is 'normal existence' for me. I see a few "What to know/catch up on" videos float around before the new season of an established show but that's about it. I see tons of buzz after the first show on a new season airs, but not necessarily leading up to that initial episode. (Outside of release trailers obviously and the conversations around those.)

But I'm confused in your statements - maybe because I'm misreading or just not understanding the field (or what you're referring to).

I don't know what "upfront and memorial day weekend being over programmed" is asking or meaning to ask? I don't know what "upfront" refers to (holiday? another show? something else?) And why Memorial Day Weekend being over-programmed has anything to do with a show coming out on June 3rd (?), a week away from said Holiday. To me that would be more of a logical explanation as to why it wasn't making giant waves - if the weekend before it is overprogrammed with new-season starts to shows? Again, not my field so I don't pretend to understand I have any clue . These are more general 'trying to understand better' questions.

I've also heard jacksquat about Euphoria so far this week but I have seen a few buzz articles floating around about Bridgeton (so I guess they are ahead of that game heh) and the new Downtown Abby movie. (As I'm not into any of these shows I'm not watching /for/ such bits, just noting what I've passively observed.)

I don't know what "Discovery is going tomorrow" means - other than perhaps you mean your focus groups for Discovery are tomorrow? Heh. If not I have no idea!

Usually I'm having to go hunt down when a new season for one of my already-established shows in going on and I'm usually looking that up months ahead of release trailers airing (because I start wondering and get tired of waiting to know- LOL). So for me 'no buzz at all' is the norm on dozens of my shows before release - but again, as a Gen Xer perhaps, I'm not the audience they are looking at the demo for when it comes to 'social media buzz' as a metric of good/bad for a show's future. I only 'use' social media, in that sense, to perhaps give me a heads up on a show I've never heard of. But by the time we're in Season 3 I'm either already on board and waiting excitedly for the new season (buzz or not) or i've no interest to start watching it in the first place.

And definitely been looking forward to seeing S3 of The Boys *nods*. More excited that S3 of Barry FINALLY hit though, after two+ years. That is too long between seasons! =D
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Oh, I am not doubting what you know through your work and all of that - I realize what you're saying - about the 'social media buzz' not being there.

I guess just, from the 'fan' or "general person" perspective (who doesn't live by social media anyway), not hearing 'huge buzz' about a show weeks out from its release date is 'normal existence' for me. I see a few "What to know/catch up on" videos float around before the new season of an established show but that's about it. I see tons of buzz after the first show on a new season airs, but not necessarily leading up to that initial episode. (Outside of release trailers obviously and the conversations around those.)

But I'm confused in your statements - maybe because I'm misreading or just not understanding the field (or what you're referring to).

I don't know what "upfront and memorial day weekend being over programmed" is asking or meaning to ask? I don't know what "upfront" refers to (holiday? another show? something else?) And why Memorial Day Weekend being over-programmed has anything to do with a show coming out on June 3rd (?), a week away from said Holiday. To me that would be more of a logical explanation as to why it wasn't making giant waves - if the weekend before it is overprogrammed with new-season starts to shows? Again, not my field so I don't pretend to understand I have any clue . These are more general 'trying to understand better' questions.

I've also heard jacksquat about Euphoria so far this week but I have seen a few buzz articles floating around about Bridgeton (so I guess they are ahead of that game heh) and the new Downtown Abby movie. (As I'm not into any of these shows I'm not watching /for/ such bits, just noting what I've passively observed.)

I don't know what "Discovery is going tomorrow" means - other than perhaps you mean your focus groups for Discovery are tomorrow? Heh. If not I have no idea!

Usually I'm having to go hunt down when a new season for one of my already-established shows in going on and I'm usually looking that up months ahead of release trailers airing (because I start wondering and get tired of waiting to know- LOL). So for me 'no buzz at all' is the norm on dozens of my shows before release - but again, as a Gen Xer perhaps, I'm not the audience they are looking at the demo for when it comes to 'social media buzz' as a metric of good/bad for a show's future. I only 'use' social media, in that sense, to perhaps give me a heads up on a show I've never heard of. But by the time we're in Season 3 I'm either already on board and waiting excitedly for the new season (buzz or not) or i've no interest to start watching it in the first place.

And definitely been looking forward to seeing S3 of The Boys *nods*. More excited that S3 of Barry FINALLY hit though, after two+ years. That is too long between seasons! =D
    Upfronts are what is happening all this week, it's where networks and by extension production companies show what they have in the works for the coming seasons from summer up to Labor Day usually. This is to show advertisers but also to make content appealing to the consumers by getting the name/brand out there in the public sphere.

May is usually the start of "season" so to speak. And why you are seeing so many big television, streaming and movie trailers and announcements these past 2-3 weeks and will see up to the end of this month. Memorial Day weekend is when the season starts, so to speak. Right now in the industry, it is tracking to be overprogrammed. Studios, networks and streaming platforms try to undercut each other by position for dates and counter-programming.

From May 27th to May 30th is Memorial Day in the US. This is a big deal. Take a look at what is releasing that week on streaming, network, and movie theatres this year alone. They are mostly marque projects.

Euphoria is the most talked-about show online. It is the gold standard right now in marketing and the show tracks with the best demographic possible. This is a major big deal. The jewel in HBO/Warner/Discovery crown.

Today Warner/Discovery presented their Upfronts.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/warner-b...t-presentation

I suspect Prey cut a lot into The Boys trending when S3 was announced (this is Hulu Upfronts countering). The demo tracking for the Boys was bad too. I would bet Amazon course corrects and starts to push material showing more female talent on the show and more action scenes that are in the show in the coming weeks. They will definitely change all their banners for S3 at the least. Demo tracking was horrible for The Boys s3.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-05-18 at 07:59 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Upfronts are what is happening all this week, it's where networks and by extension production companies show what they have in the works for the coming seasons from summer up to Labor Day usually. This is to show advertisers but also to make content appealing to the consumers by getting the name/brand out there in the public sphere.

I suspect Prey cut a lot into The Boys trending when S3 was announced (this is Hulu Upfronts countering). The demo tracking for the Boys was bad too. I would bet Amazon course corrects and starts to push material showing more female talent on the show and more action scenes that are in the show in the coming weeks. They will definitely change all their banners for S3 at the least. Demo tracking was horrible for The Boys s3.
    Didn't want to re-quote the whole post - so just edited it down!

Thank you for the explanation - that makes way more sense! And now I know what you mean by "Upfronts"; I've (literally) never heard the term used that way. (Because I have never known anyone who worked in this industry at all much less in the area you're working in)

Being an American I do know about Memorial Day weekend and was definitely aware of all the ads hitting the airwaves in the last few weeks as everyone puts out all the info. on the newest seasons shows (as in Summer Season into Fall) and all the announcements about who's coming back next year and who got cancelled, etc. etc. That I definitely recognized/familiar with as the 'cycle of the year' continues.

Interesting that Euphoria is the biggest online buzzed show *nods* I've seen an article or two here or there over the last couple of months (article being a loosely defined term here) but had no idea it was the number one talked about show. HBO does have this cable-show thing figured out, but then they've had decades more time to work on "what works" as well =D since they existed in the premium cable state since well, hell, since premium cable was invented. (as in Decades more time than Netflix, Amazon, 'other streaming networks' I meant)

But absolutely agree with you that Amazon's gonna notch up the amount of material and varying the types of ads they are showing for The Boys - perhaps, thinking its S3, they may feel they already target/have in lock the fans for the last two seasons and so have let it dragged behind as in "not so worried". But I was expecting to see way more media about it than I have so far (acknowledging I'm also clearly out of the loop on social media heh) and, while my memory may be faulting into confirmation bias - I feel I remember WAY MORE advertising about S1 and S2 in the months before release than we've gotten on S3.

Anyway - I'll stop babbling on. Thanks again for the explanation - interesting stuff to see a glimpse into the behind-the-scenes machines involved with entertainment media.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

But absolutely agree with you that Amazon's gonna notch up the amount of material and varying the types of ads they are showing for The Boys - perhaps, thinking its S3, they may feel they already target/have in lock the fans for the last two seasons and so have let it dragged behind as in "not so worried".
    They are not doing this and would never do so either. No company would really except Netflix, and only because Netflix positions secondary tier programming to be pushed by their recommendation algorithms. Which are the best in the industry- groundbreaking actually.

If shows are not being talked about in the public sphere they usually do not get marquee booking in the long run if they even manage to be sustainable. This is something we also see Netflix being the masters of- they greenlight tons of shows and movies and are willing to cut them loose when they don't generate enough public interest to be profitable.

Tiger King was huge and spawn a cottage industry of ancillary attractions, merch, movies, and shows. Even other networks are making Tiger King movies and shows. This is just from the huge social interest Tiger King was able to generate.

The Fyre Fest doc a few years ago was another example. Or the Britney Sphere emancipation from conservatorship coverage that swept programming for like a year.

You gotta have a social presence.

But I was expecting to see way more media about it than I have so far (acknowledging I'm also clearly out of the loop on social media heh) and, while my memory may be faulting into confirmation bias - I feel I remember WAY MORE advertising about S1 and S2 in the months before release than we've gotten on S3.
    It's about the same level of advertising. S2 did so-so numbers for Amazon but the platform as a streaming outlet has grown in total minutes viewed since The Boys s2. Amazon was hoping for more buzz is all.

I am sure they are looking at their demos for whom those 3.4 million views are coming from hard.

Show is complete shit

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Really great take on this theme in the first two seasons. Looking forward to the third.

Is the season dropping all at once or week by week?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Real2016 View Post
    Show is complete shit
    Says the guy who gave
    Universal solder 6
    10/10 one of the best these days
    So I guess you were sorta done before you started, eh?

Show is complete shit
    Easy solution for you then.

Don't watch it. Don't "waste" any more of your precious time even thinking about it.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post

Don't watch it. Don't "waste" any more of your precious time even thinking about it.
    It's good for a pilot, quick kicks & dump, didn't start on s02 & don't plan too but will read synopsis for s02 & 3 thats another 10 minutes of killed time .

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I think we get 3 this week and then it’s weekly til the season finale.
    Those bastards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post

Indeed - and agreed.

I love the haters - just have to shit over everything and anything.

Watched the first episode. Really like it but man did they find a way to make me uncomfortable right off the bat. I'll prolly watch the other 2 tomorrow but so far it's looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Really great take on this theme in the first two seasons. Looking forward to the third.

Is the season dropping all at once or week by week?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUQLggVX0AEBzIs.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Ouch that Termite kill in episode 1 is brutal

Finished up what was released. I read the books so I know the general direction of things. However, I think they should add something a little more to Homelander. He's basically just doing the same shit and its kinda old now. Plus it.

Holy fuck, the first 10-15 minutes of E1. I knew something big happened, wasn't expecting that lol. Bloody diabolical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Holy fuck, the first 10-15 minutes of E1. I knew something big happened, wasn't expecting that lol. Bloody diabolical.
    Yeah that's a wild way to start a season. All three episodes are solid, I didn't expect (spoil Episode 2) Butcher to juice himself up that quickly, and that's a nice touch to have some news about Teddy Stillwell