Thread: The Boys

Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ...
41
49
50
51
52
53
... LastLast
  1. #1001
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I thought for sure they were going to go for some version of "V makes you an asshole" storyline with the way Butcher and Hughie both acted on the 24 hour stuff. Maybe next season.
    They've had 3 seasons of "V makes you an asshole"
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  2. #1002
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    20,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They've had 3 seasons of "V makes you an asshole"
    I don’t know feels a lot more like 3 seasons of capitalism and fame make you an asshole not the V it self as there have been abunch of one episode or less important people who had V but generally still seem to want to do actual good just none of them get a focus other then starlight.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  3. #1003
    Scarab Lord Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    4,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They've had 3 seasons of "V makes you an asshole"
    But I meant more in a direct way, not the abstract having power brings out the darkest parts of people way. I meant more like if you use powers, it actually lowers your empathy. I thought for sure when Butcher was yelling at the kid that's where it was headed. I mean Butcher is an asshole but that was next level stuff.

    There is a similar story in the novel series The Reckoners by Brandon Sanderson and this season just really seamed to be leaning there.

  4. #1004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I thought for sure they were going to go for some version of "V makes you an asshole" storyline with the way Butcher and Hughie both acted on the 24 hour stuff. Maybe next season.
    But, V doesn't make you an asshole. It's just that most people taking V are asshole to begin with, and as explained by Butcher, V only emphasizes what you are inside. It's just that most of the Vought Supes were grown/developed within Vought influence (so obviously becoming assholes), and from the few people taking V at adult age (Kimiko, Butcher, Hughie), one is an asshole, one is a coward desperate to finally be useful, and another one is by her own word "a monster" but she's kinda good inside, even though her character development in the last episode was weird af.

    And I think Starlight is the perfect example of "V doesn't make you an asshole".

    So, I'm pretty sure Ryan will grow to become an asshole because he is one, but not solely because of V. Feeling immortal is probably what makes most supes become asshole in the end, so that's more something akin to a side-effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Why is Ryan's first question to Homelander "Aren't you mad at me?" when the person he lasered was a Nazi. Are they still withholding informaiton about the outside world from Ryan? If so, why? I literally couldn't comprehend that this was his first question.
    Let's not forget that Ryan is what, 8, 9 ? And he was grown in complete lockdown in a Vought facility, where it's extremely likely the "Nazi" aspect was not taught the correct way (considering Vought's origin). The only time Ryan was outside of this Vought facility, it was with Mallory, moving from house to house. It's very likely they didn't really teach him about all of the world's history in less than one year hiding from Homelander.

    So, in Ryan's eyes, he has lasered his mom + his dad's girlfriend. He doesn't know (or does he care) on which end of the political spectrum Stormfront was.

  5. #1005
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post

    (unrelated to the The Boys) But the worst kid in any show was the stupid son in The Strain. He might be the worst child put into any show.
    Yeah I really wished his dad would have killed him when he had the chance. It's nice he died in the end but I would have preferred he didn't get a redemption.
    If Ryan goes bad I hope they don't do the same thing and just let him die a pos.

  6. #1006
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Man, get this "simp" nonsense out of here. All you're describing is your own personal deep and unhealthy insecurities.
    Ohhh look, the retarded kommie is into cuckolding, who would have thought?

    Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-07-12 at 02:46 PM.

  7. #1007
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    This was another thing that kind of irked me. I got some real CW Network level special effects vibes from a lot of the "big fight scene" at the end there, especially with Starlight's part. (Maybe they spent the whole season's budget on MM's scene in Herogasm?) I had to rewatch the scene a second time before I even realized that Hughie was amplifying her powers because so much was going on at once and most of it happened without any explanation whatsoever.
    Hughie helped her by increasing the power, and gave a gratified smile when it worked. He was torn between using the Temp-V, or using a different way to save her that didn't cost him his humanity, and life.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Ohhh look, the retarded kommie is into cuckolding, who would have thought?
    There is nothing simpish about being a stepfather.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  8. #1008
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    20,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Ohhh look, the retarded kommie is into cuckolding, who would have thought?
    Some of you are so incredibly insecure it’s sad. It isn’t the 1000’s any more being a big enough man to be a step father isn’t a character flaw and thinking it is just puts your own weakness on display.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-07-12 at 01:04 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  9. #1009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Some of you are so incredibly insecure it’s sad. It isn’t the 1000’s any more being a big enough man to be a step father isn’t a character flaw and thinking it is just puts your own weakness on display.
    People with no life experience just screech that stuff. Ignore it and it'll go away.

    I loved the way that butcher was handled with his kid. I mean, realizing that your kid is not yours but from your worst enemy has to rattle anyone.

  10. #1010
    Sigh..I am not worried about "who is going after whom". Problem is that "Boys" have been going after homelander for 3 seasons with zero result and a conclusion that they simply can't take him down (thank you stupid plot lines). So what they could possibly try in season 4th? Make homelander turn good? Repent? A new duper weapon that will totally kill homie boy? Story is going nowhere. Whole new "VP" villain is just nonsense.

  11. #1011
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,569
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Whole new "VP" villain is just nonsense.
    What do you mean by this?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  12. #1012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    What do you mean by this?
    It's a sidequest that matters less than Homelander possibly being empowered to be completely unhinged. Which, as of now, has no solution after 3 years.

  13. #1013
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,569
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's a sidequest that matters less than Homelander possibly being empowered to be completely unhinged. Which, as of now, has no solution after 3 years.
    I can see that. To me though, the Newman story has been more interesting. Seeing the corruption hiding in the shadows the way it is, and building more and more power all while people are distracted by Homelander's antics. To me, that is a much bigger threat than 1 Supe going crazy.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  14. #1014
    Well, that 1 Supe knows she pops heads and can seemingly harm her. And it seems like she can't (or hasn't tried) to pop his head yet, so there's a non-zero chance he could just laser her from behind and become VP himself, in The Boys' version of the Reichstag Fire.

  15. #1015
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Sigh..I am not worried about "who is going after whom". Problem is that "Boys" have been going after homelander for 3 seasons with zero result and a conclusion that they simply can't take him down (thank you stupid plot lines). So what they could possibly try in season 4th? Make homelander turn good? Repent? A new duper weapon that will totally kill homie boy? Story is going nowhere.
    Honestly I felt the same way after the finale. The Homelander thing has gone on too long and they have almost nothing to show for it. And at what point will they have that much power to bring against him again? They had a suped up Butcher, Soldier Boy, Maeve, Kumiko, and Starlight. Butcher can't use that temp supe stuff anymore, Maeve is powerless, Kumiko's powers were temporary (Or did temp V give her her powers back permanently, I may have missed that detail if it was said) and Soldier Boy is taking a nap and absolutely would not help them again. So now they just have Starlight whose powers seem pretty lame tbh. I enjoyed this season but the finale kinda killed it for me and I find my overall interest in the show is really starting to take a dip. I don't care about The Deep or A-Train either. Deep has to be one of the most pointless characters on the show although he atleast is good for a laugh at how pathetic he is, and A-Train just whines the entire time. Hopefully season 4 manages to spice things up a little and not make the show feel like it's on the same loop for the fourth time around.

  16. #1016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Hughie helped her by increasing the power, and gave a gratified smile when it worked. He was torn between using the Temp-V, or using a different way to save her that didn't cost him his humanity, and life.
    I got that. My complaint was mostly how a lot of effects in the fight scene came off pretty low quality considering tbe fairly high bar the series has had elsewhere. Like I said, it felt a bit like the show had exhausted its special effects budget and they did the best they could.

  17. #1017
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    33,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They've had 3 seasons of "V makes you an asshole"
    It's not "V makes you and asshole". Hasn't been, isn't, and won't be. Starlight, remember?

    The "asshole" comes out with the Super Powers. That's the point.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Sigh..I am not worried about "who is going after whom". Problem is that "Boys" have been going after homelander for 3 seasons with zero result and a conclusion that they simply can't take him down (thank you stupid plot lines). So what they could possibly try in season 4th? Make homelander turn good? Repent? A new duper weapon that will totally kill homie boy? Story is going nowhere. Whole new "VP" villain is just nonsense.
    I am concerned that S4 is going to stagnate with another round of "we can't kill Homelander". However, they brought in some really good new stuff in S3, so we'll have to wait and see.

    WTF do you mean by the VP nonsense? That's a terrific plot line playing itself out, quite naturally. And, we still don't know if she can stop Homelander.

    The new dynamic with Homelander and Butcher protecting Ryan, who is going to be SUCH an asshole, is interesting.

  18. #1018
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I got that. My complaint was mostly how a lot of effects in the fight scene came off pretty low quality considering tbe fairly high bar the series has had elsewhere. Like I said, it felt a bit like the show had exhausted its special effects budget and they did the best they could.
    I totally hear that. I really expected something far grander than what we got with a high powered Starlight. Like, perhaps temporarily blinding everyone or something. And the effects could have been way cooler.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    we still don't know if she can stop Homelander.
    My personal opinion is, she can absolutely kill Homelander. But she doesn't because he is an asset to her political goals. She runs on the anti-supe platform, and homelander basically provides a constant stream of material for her to use to push her agenda.

    Once he is no longer of use to her, she could pop his head quite easily. Homelander had a pencil jammed in his ear. It actually penetrated, and he bled. If wood and graphite can puncture his inner flesh like that, she can pop his brain with ease.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  19. #1019
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    73,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    My personal opinion is, she can absolutely kill Homelander. But she doesn't because he is an asset to her political goals. She runs on the anti-supe platform, and homelander basically provides a constant stream of material for her to use to push her agenda.

    Once he is no longer of use to her, she could pop his head quite easily. Homelander had a pencil jammed in his ear. It actually penetrated, and he bled. If wood and graphite can puncture his inner flesh like that, she can pop his brain with ease.
    Like, I think people are significantly overlooking the meaning of that Maeve fight.

    She drew blood. She lost, but she went up against Homelander 1v1 and drew blood.

    Homelander is, demonstrably, not as invincible as people thought. You just need a few supes present with powers that step up to Maeve's level and some way to keep the slippery bastard from flying away the split second he gets free of the mob.

    They even established this earlier with Soldier Boy and Butcher and Hughie all pinning Homelander, at Herogasm. If they had a fourth, jamming an iron spike in Homelander's ear and hitting it with a hammer enough times would probably have done the trick, too.

    Also, I went back and re-checked what Maeve jammed in his ear. It's a drinking straw, and it appears to be one of the metal ones. I'm sure it's possible it's a plastic straw colored to looks metallic, but that seems like a stretch and it's easier to just accept it is what it looks like. It's even lying next to a spilled drink when Maeve grabs it off the floor. Timestamp 45:11 if you want to take a look yourself.


  20. #1020
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    33,879
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Well, that 1 Supe knows she pops heads and can seemingly harm her. And it seems like she can't (or hasn't tried) to pop his head yet, so there's a non-zero chance he could just laser her from behind and become VP himself, in The Boys' version of the Reichstag Fire.
    Homelander can certainly kill her, but we don't know if she can pop him. There was even a scene about it - he suggested she try and see how it goes. It seems like her being able to do that would be too easy of an out though. The solution to killing HM can't wait for S6, but I hope it's creative. We know he can be hurt.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    My personal opinion is, she can absolutely kill Homelander. But she doesn't because he is an asset to her political goals. She runs on the anti-supe platform, and homelander basically provides a constant stream of material for her to use to push her agenda.

    Once he is no longer of use to her, she could pop his head quite easily. Homelander had a pencil jammed in his ear. It actually penetrated, and he bled. If wood and graphite can puncture his inner flesh like that, she can pop his brain with ease.
    I think so, too. And yeah, she needs him to push her agenda - keep the "fear" going so she can wrestle control. And her entire agenda is uncertain at this point. So far it's just power grab and keeping herself a secret.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like, I think people are significantly overlooking the meaning of that Maeve fight.

    She drew blood. She lost, but she went up against Homelander 1v1 and drew blood.

    Homelander is, demonstrably, not as invincible as people thought. You just need a few supes present with powers that step up to Maeve's level and some way to keep the slippery bastard from flying away the split second he gets free of the mob.

    They even established this earlier with Soldier Boy and Butcher and Hughie all pinning Homelander, at Herogasm. If they had a fourth, jamming an iron spike in Homelander's ear and hitting it with a hammer enough times would probably have done the trick, too.

    Also, I went back and re-checked what Maeve jammed in his ear. It's a drinking straw, and it appears to be one of the metal ones. I'm sure it's possible it's a plastic straw colored to looks metallic, but that seems like a stretch and it's easier to just accept it is what it looks like. It's even lying next to a spilled drink when Maeve grabs it off the floor. Timestamp 45:11 if you want to take a look yourself.
    Agreed. He's killable, for sure. Just a matter of getting the right situation, with enough Supe's. The Maeve fight was clutch - as well as Herogasm. But Maeve made him bleed on her own.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •