Thread: The Boys

Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ...
5
45
53
54
55
56
57
... LastLast
  1. #1081
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly felt that however shitty a person Soldier Boy was, he was still far less dangerous than Homelander and they really should have prioritized offing Homelander. Ofc you cannot rely on Butcher but when could you rely on Butcher?

    I'm not sure Hughie had the time to inject and get to act. His teleportation seems to be short range.
    I do wonder what an actually powerful Supe like Maeve or Starlight could have done to Homelander if they dozed on V.
    He teleported Starlight pretty far in the Herogasm episode.

  2. #1082
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Most Millenials have boomer or early GenX parents, back when parenting was often neglectful and negative. It reflects in our art. Almost every serious drama about issues with parental figures.
    Or certain types of blame just become really trendy in certain groups.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Yeah I get your point. But Hughie taking the Temp-V would have been 20 times more efficient to save the day than boosting Starlight for her to barely knock Soldier Boy off. If not for Maeve's "sacrifice", they'd all be dead.
    That's been a theme in the show for a long time, and I'm just glad that one character (Kimiko) finally realized that it's bullshit.

    I'm especially sick of fucking MM and his stupid holier than thou shit about powers. Like he just wants to fucking 1v1 Soldier Boy - and not because he's some badass that's willing to fight someone stronger - but because he's a goddamned crybaby that just needs to lash out. But no one better use any tools to level the playing field because we're all Moral Orel's here who will find the high road!

    And then the writers give the character the satisfaction of being the one to gas Soldier Boy - with the help of supes holding SB back, of course. But he won't talk about that. I'm sure he'll give some bullshit preaching session later about how he did it all without powers and you can too.
    Last edited by Ghost of Cow; 2022-07-21 at 04:16 PM.

  3. #1083
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Oh thats not what I meant with the power up. I m fine with her becoming more powerful. I meant the whole staring at her and waiting for her to power up.
    For me it was - all that 'power up', slow floating up, all cool - oh Ryan's helping her! He's supporting her for her to be the best hero she can be! Woo! - and would have been awesome... Except there was no payout.

    They had all those moments of "ooh look she's gettin power nao!" "Ryan's boosting her!" and then.. she knocks Soldier Boy over for a few seconds. :/

    They dropped the payout. I wasn't expecting her to slaughter them or blow the building - but for her to buy them more than "oh you knocked him back into the wall for a few seconds" and then she collapses from the effort.

    THAT really took the "this is cool" out of the moment. And I was really digging the moment and wanting to see her make an 'impact' - to get "that's it?"

    Kinda like in one of the earlier (in the movie) Batman/Bane fights and Batman throw what come off as 'bottle rockets' at Bane at one point, which obviously have no effect. To have a few flash-pops go off in the middle of what was supposedly an intense fight - just made the whole scene play out as stupid for me once the fireworks pop off.

    I mean I don't have a lot of complaints about this Season, I can totally enjoy the ride and not nitpick it apart. But I really felt they robbed Starlight of having at least one impressive "I can fight like the big heroes too!" attack. For zippo reason. They never should have given her the 'big power up moment' help from Ryan if all she was going to do was throw him into a wall.

    Maybe that was the point - to show that Starlight actually has very little power, even "maxed out" that way. Which to me still sucks - because I'd rather there be a LITTLE more equal heroes across the board then just "Homelander/Maive" (even if not anymore) on one tier, "Everyone else" way down below that, and the humans down below them.

    (And totes agree with all the stupidity in no one bothering to just take Ryan off somewhere - but writers gotta keep the plot moving and there was no way Homelander was going down this season.)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    And like i said, i understand that and im not actually fan of that plot, he surviving in the end
    Oh yeah - of all the Supes we COULD have killed off this season - he really needed to die. He would have been a fine throw- away character to satisify the idea of "hero dead numbers" without killing off anyone actually important to the plot.

    Him and Deep really don't seem to serve much purpose at all this last season other than to spin in their own juices, waiting to be given some "bigger purpose" for the plot that never really came. A-train appeared to maybe have growth but we never really saw that follow out to 'know for sure' if he "gets it" about himself or Homelander now. And Deep has never been anything more than an ass kisser wanting to be actually important; but serving no purpose as a character otherwise. I'm hoping next season shows us a real payout to keeping them as filler until then - or really satisfying deaths.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  4. #1084
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,939
    Just got through season 2 today and the first episode of season 3. So I know a lot of people thought season 2 was not very good but I felt it started off weak and by episode 6, was actually pretty good, with the finale being great. The first episode of season 3 was decent but it seems to be following a trend of very on the nose topical stuff from season 2, which personally I don't mind because it's actually pretty funny in light of the last several years. Also the "attack on the capitol" in season 2 was hilariously on the nose along with Stormfront being so blatantly a Nazi from the get go just from her speeches. But the narcissistic facet of her personality was also kind of funny to me as well, because I feel like pretty much all of the 7 aside from Starlight come off as being that way, or just completely lacking any shred of empathy for what they've done to innocent people.

    I know there's a lot of people who complain about the show being "woke" but really, even the comics kinda are in their own way. Sure, they've taken some creative liberties with some aspects of the story and the characters, but I've actually thoroughly enjoyed it and don't think it's really woke at all, just very topical to the Trump era of American politics. The excessive violence feels a little over the top but is par for the course to the comics apparently, but a lot of the sexual content is downright cringe or just really dumb. Overall I've loved the show so far

  5. #1085
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The excessive violence feels a little over the top but is par for the course to the comics apparently, but a lot of the sexual content is downright cringe or just really dumb. Overall I've loved the show so far
    Wait til you reach Herogasm for cringe sexual content. Not even good cringe, like, boring "look at this!!!" cringe.

    Edit: FWIW, they have a really good episode that takes place while Herogasm goes on in the background. I sometimes wonder if it was intentional to put good character and plot development against the backdrop of cringe-level sex scenes, but if so, kudos.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-08-04 at 12:44 AM.

  6. #1086
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Wait til you reach Herogasm for cringe sexual content. Not even good cringe, like, boring "look at this!!!" cringe.

    Edit: FWIW, they have a really good episode that takes place while Herogasm goes on in the background. I sometimes wonder if it was intentional to put good character and plot development against the backdrop of cringe-level sex scenes, but if so, kudos.
    Eh I think its more the show (or comic, never read it so can't say) takes whatever its doing and rachets it up to x100 for the craziness/out of the world/bizarro/F*edUP factor, intentionally. As it always has - as part of its satire-taken-to-extreme type of commentary.

    I mean its not a show for any particular topic to be shown as "realistic" or "handled with seriousness" so the Herogasm orgy, of course, was just kept "on brand" if you will =D. Also - to me - its meant to show the ridiculousness, decadence, self-indulgent spoiled-ness of the "Superhero" in this world and, again, Herogasm just kept that going also.

    So really (IMO) its more that any good character or plot development in the show almost always happens in that backdrop of "this is fucking nuts" reality moreso than only, or specifically, choosing that particular cringe-orgy scene to do that, particular, "good character development." Its not the exception of the show - its how the show was made, from the ground up. Of course, how "good" that writing is at pulling that off, episode to episode, varies - but its always "been the way" of the show.

    Herogasm might take that up a notch because it IS an orgy sex scene - something rarely to never seen in any public media format and so, by default, has a 'shock' value to it -- but I didn't see that episode as any worse, or better, or more or less over the top, than the rest of the episodes.

    And I genuinely doubt anyone's ability to somehow, seriously show, an orgy sex scene and make it NOT cringe. Hell, I'm not even sure you can do that IRL and it not be cringe, at least on some levels. =D (depending on what about the scene one finds "cringe")
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  7. #1087
    It's funny that as bad as the show can get in terms of sex or violence it's still an overall toned down version of what happens in the comics.

  8. #1088
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    It's funny that as bad as the show can get in terms of sex or violence it's still an overall toned down version of what happens in the comics.
    Never saw someone’s dick explode in the comic.

    The Female does tear off a lot more faces in the comic though.

  9. #1089
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Wait til you reach Herogasm for cringe sexual content. Not even good cringe, like, boring "look at this!!!" cringe.

    Edit: FWIW, they have a really good episode that takes place while Herogasm goes on in the background. I sometimes wonder if it was intentional to put good character and plot development against the backdrop of cringe-level sex scenes, but if so, kudos.
    The cringe factor was entirely intentional...and, compared to the comics, it's actually very toned down. In the comics Herogasm is a piss-take on the comic book tradition of "big summer crossovers". The cover story they use is that the majority of Earth's Heroes will be going off to fight some big intergalactic thread...but in reality they're just flying off to a secluded island for a Vought-funded week of depraved sex, drugs, and general debasement. Like most things in the comics, it's completely over-the-top in it's portrayal of superheroes as being depraved and corrupt

    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  10. #1090
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,939
    OK I finished episode 5 of season 3 last night and that was pretty good. I hope the rest of the season ends as well as season 2 did though.

  11. #1091
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    OK I finished episode 5 of season 3 last night and that was pretty good. I hope the rest of the season ends as well as season 2 did though.
    I'll be interested to hear your take 1) after the second-to-last episode, and then again 2) after the last episode.

    My feeling in spoiler tags that you can check later. There are last episode spoilers in this:

    Easily the best season after the second-to-last episode, imo. Then the finale let it down by being low stakes and having no real consequences. No one dies (not convinced Noir is dead), Soldier Boy put back on ice, Maeve only loses an eye, even Butcher's "imminent" death from using too much TempV is delayed by a year to 18 months. The best fights, Noir vs. SB, SB vs. Homelander, Butcher vs. everyone, were avoid except for Maeve vs. Homelander. Even the hard choices were avoided: A-Train doesn't have to choose a side, The Deep is just pointless, no one has to decide whether to give Hughie or Butcher real Compound V to potentially save them from Temp V's effects. Just disappointing all around, for the sake of drawing it out over next season.

  12. #1092
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,939
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I'll be interested to hear your take 1) after the second-to-last episode, and then again 2) after the last episode.

    My feeling in spoiler tags that you can check later. There are last episode spoilers in this:

    Easily the best season after the second-to-last episode, imo. Then the finale let it down by being low stakes and having no real consequences. No one dies (not convinced Noir is dead), Soldier Boy put back on ice, Maeve only loses an eye, even Butcher's "imminent" death from using too much TempV is delayed by a year to 18 months. The best fights, Noir vs. SB, SB vs. Homelander, Butcher vs. everyone, were avoid except for Maeve vs. Homelander. Even the hard choices were avoided: A-Train doesn't have to choose a side, The Deep is just pointless, no one has to decide whether to give Hughie or Butcher real Compound V to potentially save them from Temp V's effects. Just disappointing all around, for the sake of drawing it out over next season.
    I thought the last two episodes were both pretty weak. The first two seasons ended strongly but that was a hugely disappointing ending. I get it that they wanted to draw it out but I felt like there was so much potential to build up a couple of subplots as a real cliffhanger. In particular the ending of episode 7, Soldier Boy being Homelanders father should really have been the ending point for the whole season, because that's a bigger revelation as it could lead to bigger issues in stopping Homelander if Soldier Boy winds up protecting his son . Overall the ending didn't really leave much compelling on the table. The VP nominee getting murdered and replaced by Nadia isn't particularly interesting since we already know that she's a psycho baddie and Homelander's fascist behavior rubbing off on Ryan is just going to create another villain
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2022-08-07 at 07:05 PM.

  13. #1093
    Yeah, there was basically zero payoff this season which was weird.

    I almost think someone could just go from Season 2 to Season 4 when it comes out and not be lost at all. That's how little really seemed to happen, even if it was mostly entertaining.

  14. #1094
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Yeah, there was basically zero payoff this season which was weird.

    I almost think someone could just go from Season 2 to Season 4 when it comes out and not be lost at all. That's how little really seemed to happen, even if it was mostly entertaining.
    There is pay off but it's slot of little things rather than a big thing, it's mostly set up for next season with alot of development for the various characters so I disagree that you can skip it.

  15. #1095
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    There is pay off but it's slot of little things rather than a big thing, it's mostly set up for next season with alot of development for the various characters so I disagree that you can skip it.
    Maybe...I dunno. I could be discounting a few things.

    Just feels like "where we were" at the end of S2 is pretty identical to where we are at the end of S3 in terms of characters, conflicts, and so on.

  16. #1096
    Just watched season 3 finale it was pretty terrible imo, was the first episode of the show I really didn't enjoy at all and actually was so bad that it made me not care about the show anymore. There was absolutely no payoff to this season whatsoever.

    The main characters randomly decided to start working against each other/themselves/their own plan for no reason in the finale and it was absolutely annoying. Everything they planned to do this season (use soldier boy to kill homelander) was completely pointless because they fought against their own plan like it was some kind of heroic thing, as a viewer it just looked stupid and they didn't seem to have any justification for what they were doing other than the fact that the creators want to milk (lol) homelander for another couple seasons.

    Starlight's power up thing was ridiculous too, literally just pushed soldier boy down lol ok cool (still have no idea what her powers are supposed to even be). All of the "good" superheroes in this show are completely useless and underpowered and all the bad ones are invincible to the point that it's just irritating.

    Here's a summary of what they accomplished in this one episode:
    1. Teamed up with homelander to defeat their only weapon against homelander for no reason like they have stockholm syndrome or something
    2. Can't even use the temporary V anymore and butcher is supposedly dying
    2. Ryan is now on homelander's side and displaying creepy tendencies like his dad and was spared for no reason
    3. Maeve is like half dead and blind and useless now

    What was the point of any of this?

  17. #1097
    The Lightbringer Nymrohd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    Just watched season 3 finale it was pretty terrible imo, was the first episode of the show I really didn't enjoy at all and actually was so bad that it made me not care about the show anymore. There was absolutely no payoff to this season whatsoever.

    The main characters randomly decided to start working against each other/themselves/their own plan for no reason in the finale and it was absolutely annoying. Everything they planned to do this season (use soldier boy to kill homelander) was completely pointless because they fought against their own plan like it was some kind of heroic thing, as a viewer it just looked stupid and they didn't seem to have any justification for what they were doing other than the fact that the creators want to milk (lol) homelander for another couple seasons.

    Starlight's power up thing was ridiculous too, literally just pushed soldier boy down lol ok cool (still have no idea what her powers are supposed to even be). All of the "good" superheroes in this show are completely useless and underpowered and all the bad ones are invincible to the point that it's just irritating.

    Here's a summary of what they accomplished in this one episode:
    1. Teamed up with homelander to defeat their only weapon against homelander for no reason like they have stockholm syndrome or something
    2. Can't even use the temporary V anymore and butcher is supposedly dying
    2. Ryan is now on homelander's side and displaying creepy tendencies like his dad and was spared for no reason
    3. Maeve is like half dead and blind and useless now

    What was the point of any of this?
    This is my main issue as well. At what point did Soldier Boy become a greater threat to humanity than Homelander? Soldier Boy seems entirely manageable compared to Homelander.

  18. #1098
    Bloodsail Admiral Frankminimia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brill
    Posts
    1,129
    The decision to attack Soldier Boy at the end came from him wanting to nuke Ryan along with Homelander, while the rest of The Boys already intended to go after Soldier Boy anyway to prevent his nuke. Whether or not you think thats a good reason is up to you.

  19. #1099
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankminimia View Post
    The decision to attack Soldier Boy at the end came from him wanting to nuke Ryan along with Homelander, while the rest of The Boys already intended to go after Soldier Boy anyway to prevent his nuke. Whether or not you think thats a good reason is up to you.
    I think the non-believable part is how close Butcher became to Ryan. It just strains credulity that he'd give up a decade-long quest to kill Homelander on the off-chance that Ryan MIGHT get hurt. That Ryan gets hurt isn't even a certainty, he's suped up.

  20. #1100
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,939
    Am I the only one who found the whole parallels in seasons 2 and 3 between the alt-right rallies and events that happened in America during Trump's presidency to be leaned on way too hard in this show? Like, it was funny the first couple of times but once Stormfront was out of the picture, there wasn't really a need to keep banging on with those topics, especially when they are not a part of the comics or really all that pivotal to the story other than to reinforce Homelander's already inflated ego and cult of personality status. I get it that he's supposed to be a bad guy, but he's portrayed as being ignorant when he's clearly cognizant of his actions, he just shows zero remorse for his actions and he thinks because he's invincible that makes him better than everyone else. It's only when he gets bruised and bleeds that he starts to recognize that maybe he's not as powerful as he thinks he is because you can see it in his expressions, and it definitely angers him.

    I do disagree with @eschatological in regards to Butcher's relationship with Ryan. I'm pretty sure that protecting the boy and keeping him from becoming a deranged psychopath like Homelander was probably what he wanted in the wake of Becca's death, but for whatever reason he went back on his feelings because he can't get past his hatred of super heroes at the 11th hour. So now we are going to end up with a father and son psycho team

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •