Thread: The Boys

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ...
10
50
58
59
60
61
LastLast
  1. #1181
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    You could argue that in court. It might work, because our legal system tends to favor men over women, but it's not the law.
    Of all the things that men enjoy privileges of over women, being favored in court is certainly not one of them. At least not for the average middle class men.

    Edit: to the guy above trying to argue with Endus.... LMAO I commend you on your patience. At least he aint a mod anymore to throw infractions around for people that disagree with him.

  2. #1182
    The Lightbringer Nymrohd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Yeah, but that's...REALLY fucking shaky legal ground.

    I'm sorry, but there's no way if I'm on a jury I'm voting to convict someone of rape if they didn't threaten someone, didn't attack them, wasn't in a position of any power or authority, behaved normally, got an affirmative consent, and then later gets hauled into jail because, "I was secretly scared, officer."

    Edit: And yes, I fully agree that there needs to be protections in place for all the various situations where someone might consent but reasonably feels forced or coerced. I just don't think the threshold for that can be something like, "He was just so tall."

    At some point that simply becomes the individual making a bad decision and regretting it. Every single sexual encounter that a woman feels was a mistake or undesirable in the morning isn't a rape.

    (And at some point there needs to be a discussion about the intersection of this concept and the infantilization of women and removal of agency, but I guess we're already beyond the scope of this thread.)
    Homelander is ALWAYS in a position of power.

  3. #1183
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Homelander is ALWAYS in a position of power.
    You're absolutely right, and I apologize for being a part of dragging the thread off into an off topic discussion.

  4. #1184
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    That's rape. If you say yes because you feel the alternative is getting killed, that's rape. You cannot consent under duress.
    I mean if they actually threaten, or even imply that, sure. And seeing as how super humans don't exist, hard to really know how people would feel in that situation. I don't think there's any reason she thought he was dangerous at the time unless he acted deranged or something in private during their encounter.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Still doesn't make it less rape
    So if a girl has sex with a guy then after she says it was just because she was worried he was going to pull out a gun and shoot her (even without ever threatening so) the it was rape?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Literally describing rape. And yes; you'd get charged in that kind of a circumstance; the only question at that point is evidence to prove the circumstances beyond a reasonable doubt. Like any crime, so that's not a unique factor here. Let's say the girl you're intimidating is panickedly texting her friend about how scared she is and then she leaves with you, that'd be enough to make the case.

    The only consent is affirmative consent. A girl passively letting it happen without resistance is literally what rape can look like.
    That's dumb as fuck. How is someone supposed to know they're secretly afraid of you if you aren't doing anything to make them afraid of you?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because expressing an explicit lack of consent is not the requirement. Active, affirmative consent is required. This is why if you rape an unconscious girl, even though she didn't fight back and never told you "no", it's still frickin' rape. This isn't complicated and it's frankly kind of horrifying you don't understand this.
    talk about moving goalposts lmao

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Oh fuck you.

    You're literally constructing a situation in which NOTHING EVER HAPPENED on your side that you could POSSIBLY consider intimidating or coercive, yet SOMEHOW the other person felt so terrified they agreed to your demand for sex out of fear.

    THAT'S NOT REALITY.

    Stop trying to pretend that people who coerce others into sex just "couldn't read their mind".
    people having superpowers isn't reality either lmao

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not getting open and honest active consent is rape. There's no need to be able to "read minds". Just stop forcing women into sex. It's real fuckin' easy. If you want to know if she consents, back off and ask her nicely, letting her know she can bail if she wants. It's not that frickin' hard.
    wtf? no lmao you make a girl say yes with every thrust of your dick or something? otherwise you're a hypocrite with that logic.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I am telling you, as a lawyer of 13 years, that it does indeed having a legal basis. Consent which isn't freely given is literally the definition of coercion. In situations with wildly differing levels of power and authority (like a cop with a stranger they d on't know, or fucking HOMELANDER), a clear, affirmative consent is required, which can be revoked at any point in the encounter. Consent is an affirmative requirement, not a passive or assumed one. Furthermore, there's not even an indication that Becca gave affirmative, verbal consent, just that she went into Homelander's office seemingly of her own volition....which is not consent for sex. That should be blatantly obvious.

    When you then consider the fact that 1) SHE SAID HE RAPED HER, 2) she immediately had a meltdown and went to an "authority" that could help her deal with the rape and escape Homelander, 3) she's still terrified of Homelander years later, and 4) Homelander is a known psychopath....well, if it quacks like a duck, it's a fucking duck.
    How is someone like homelander ever supposed to know if anyone's active affirmative consent is real then? Literally anyone could always just claim they were worried he would melt their eyeballs out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    you are missing his dumb point. he is making a magical scenario where person 1 is sitting at a bar, person 2 comes and sits next to them, person 1 says "wanna go have sex?", person 2 says yes, but in their had doesnt want to. they show this outwardly in no way what so ever.

    in his weird make believe scenario nothing else took place and person 2 said yes for some unknown reason and proceeds to have sex even though in their head, they are thinking i don't wanna have sex. its a dumb scenario but if it ever did happen, and we have some sort of clairvoyant technology to show person 1 did nothing other then ask "wanna have sex", they would not be found to be a rapist.
    people protesting about a weird make believe scenario when we're talking about a show where someone has fucking super powers. lmao

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a matter for the courts and the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt.

    But at that point, we're discussing whether you can escape conviction for the rape you literally committed
    ??????? what? ??? you say it's for the courts to decide then say they literally committed rape lmao you have no idea what you're talking about

  5. #1185
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    How is someone like homelander ever supposed to know if anyone's active affirmative consent is real then? Literally anyone could always just claim they were worried he would melt their eyeballs out.
    With open, honest communication? Have you ever been in an adult relationship where one partner was more successful or powerful? It requires a lot on the part of the more powerful partner to ensure their partner feels happy and safe. That's the basis of a healthy relationship in any relationship, but is even more important in one where the partners have different levels of power and authority and success.

    The whole point is Homelander is none of these things. He takes what he wants, because he can. He is the definition of a rapist in this case. This doesn't mean someone of Homelander's power level can never be in a good relationship.

  6. #1186
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Homelander is ALWAYS in a position of power.
    This is kind of why I have some empathy for like A list celebrities. I feel like they can never really know who is actually interested in them or not.

    Well, they can know who isn't in some cases for sure. Just not so much know who is genuinely interested.

  7. #1187
    The plot of this show is kinda dumb.

    Appearently anyone can take the permanent V syringe for super powers. What's the disadvantage? You probably get to regain your lost leg or whatever + be a "supe".

    Noone ever dies and the big "we gotta kill Highlander" does not work concidering Highlander and Butcher (the 2 people supposedly wanted eachother dead for 3 seasons in a row) are the biggest draw to the TV Show. They will never die. And we will dance around the bush for any of them dying every single season going forward.

    I don't think it's deserving of a 8.7 IMDB rating... People are hyping it up for them swearing, showing gore and having realistic tiktok segments. The plot deserves a IMDB rating of 4.

  8. #1188
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    With open, honest communication? Have you ever been in an adult relationship where one partner was more successful or powerful? It requires a lot on the part of the more powerful partner to ensure their partner feels happy and safe. That's the basis of a healthy relationship in any relationship, but is even more important in one where the partners have different levels of power and authority and success.

    The whole point is Homelander is none of these things. He takes what he wants, because he can. He is the definition of a rapist in this case. This doesn't mean someone of Homelander's power level can never be in a good relationship.
    So you're basically saying he can never just hook up with people then? How is it his fault if everyone is just scared of him? Again, assuming at this time the general public, and hardly anyone really, had any idea he was so unhinged. He was literally supposed to be a "hero" so why would anyone be afraid of him? You're literally arguing that anyone just hooking up with him is being raped and that's dumb as fuck.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    The plot of this show is kinda dumb.

    Appearently anyone can take the permanent V syringe for super powers. What's the disadvantage? You probably get to regain your lost leg or whatever + be a "supe".

    Noone ever dies and the big "we gotta kill Highlander" does not work concidering Highlander and Butcher (the 2 people supposedly wanted eachother dead for 3 seasons in a row) are the biggest draw to the TV Show. They will never die. And we will dance around the bush for any of them dying every single season going forward.

    I don't think it's deserving of a 8.7 IMDB rating... People are hyping it up for them swearing, showing gore and having realistic tiktok segments. The plot deserves a IMDB rating of 4.
    not "anyone" can take it. It's fatal for most adults and I assume isn't 100% when an infant either but the suggests it was more successful. Of course, maybe they just wanted to avoid the whole "dead babies" thing who knows.

  9. #1189
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    73,844
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    So you're basically saying he can never just hook up with people then?
    If you can't be arsed to figure out if your partner is honestly and openly consenting, you shouldn't be trying to have sex with them at all.

    You can easily hook up inside these parameters.

    How is it his fault if everyone is just scared of him?
    It's his fault for using that to coerce a woman into having sex with him.


  10. #1190
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    With open, honest communication? Have you ever been in an adult relationship where one partner was more successful or powerful? It requires a lot on the part of the more powerful partner to ensure their partner feels happy and safe. That's the basis of a healthy relationship in any relationship, but is even more important in one where the partners have different levels of power and authority and success.
    this whole section just makes no sense, maybe in weird hyper sensitive hyper woke culture thats the basis of a relationship, but considering basically every relationship in the world has 1 person more successful than the other, most normal people would never even consider it a factor. it requires NOTHING on the part of the partner with more success.

    also isnt this all totally off topic at this point

  11. #1191
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    The plot of this show is kinda dumb.

    Appearently anyone can take the permanent V syringe for super powers. What's the disadvantage? You probably get to regain your lost leg or whatever + be a "supe".

    Noone ever dies and the big "we gotta kill Highlander" does not work concidering Highlander and Butcher (the 2 people supposedly wanted eachother dead for 3 seasons in a row) are the biggest draw to the TV Show. They will never die. And we will dance around the bush for any of them dying every single season going forward.

    I don't think it's deserving of a 8.7 IMDB rating... People are hyping it up for them swearing, showing gore and having realistic tiktok segments. The plot deserves a IMDB rating of 4.
    The only adults who've taken permanent V and survived are, afaik, Kimiko, who was suped up as a kid and then de-suped for like less than a week, and Neumann's daughter, who is the kid of a supe.

    I don't think any humans with no previous genetic connection to a supe or previous supe-ness have taken any permanent V and survived, right? Like, what we see in s2 at the facility is a really miniscule portion of the people they inject V in, the rest explode, and even the ones who survive have random dumb powers, like vomiting acid or having a big dick. In that whole facility, it seems like there was only one or two who had viably useful powers.

    What might be interesting is whether temp V can be used as a transition to taking permanent V and surviving, before the temp V puts lesions on your brain. I assume that's the narrative conclusion for Butcher and Hughie, at this point.

  12. #1192
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you can't be arsed to figure out if your partner is honestly and openly consenting, you shouldn't be trying to have sex with them at all.

    You can easily hook up inside these parameters.



    It's his fault for using that to coerce a woman into having sex with him.
    you keep saying the same thing over and over ignoring all context of the actual scenario, his point was, before anyone had a reason to fear him, he could never know. its safe to assume a lot of people fear him now, but in the years prior to the show, it would be much more unlikely. so if they didnt show him any fear, said nothing, and had sex, but were deep down afraid, thats not his problem. its theirs, there would be nothing he could do other than avoid everyone physically forever.

  13. #1193
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    you keep saying the same thing over and over ignoring all context of the actual scenario, his point was, before anyone had a reason to fear him, he could never know. its safe to assume a lot of people fear him now, but in the years prior to the show, it would be much more unlikely. so if they didnt show him any fear, said nothing, and had sex, but were deep down afraid, thats not his problem. its theirs, there would be nothing he could do other than avoid everyone physically forever.
    careful there,these lads may start acusing you of blaming the victim and being a rape apologist because you cant read minds

  14. #1194
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,395
    This thread sure took a weird turn. Defending a fictional rapist is a new one to me.

  15. #1195
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    This thread sure took a weird turn. Defending a fictional rapist is a new one to me.
    I've been a mod of this subforum long enough to remember posters on this site saying Ramsay Bolton wasn't raping Sansa "because they were married, and you can't rape your wife."

    This is why I have to remind myself that this site, Twitter, reddit, etc, is no where near a reflection of real life.

  16. #1196
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    This thread sure took a weird turn. Defending a fictional rapist is a new one to me.
    this has nothing to do with actual events in the show, it was started as make believe scenario by another poster much earlier. i HOPE most people know homelander raped his sons mother. theres just 2 posters that have a hard time understanding the scenario being argued that didnt actually take place and keep trying to pretend it would also be rape.

  17. #1197
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scottishlands
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I've been a mod of this subforum long enough to remember posters on this site saying Ramsay Bolton wasn't raping Sansa "because they were married, and you can't rape your wife."
    Thing is, this used to be the case in the UK. It was changed in 1992, but before that, you could legally rape your wife.

  18. #1198
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Thing is, this used to be the case in the UK. It was changed in 1992, but before that, you could legally rape your wife.
    Too bad that episode aired like 5 years ago.

  19. #1199
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Too bad that episode aired like 5 years ago.
    i dont think thats the point. its the an example of a reason some people still might have believed "you cant rape your wife".

  20. #1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you can't be arsed to figure out if your partner is honestly and openly consenting, you shouldn't be trying to have sex with them at all.

    You can easily hook up inside these parameters.



    It's his fault for using that to coerce a woman into having sex with him.
    how the fuck are you supposed to know that with some random person you're hooking up with? And if he just asks someone if they want to have sex with him, and that's the whole conversation, and they say yes without expressing any emotions of fear, how is that his problem?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •