Thread: The Boys

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The once a week thing is a bummer for sure, just wait for it all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Why australia?

Karl Urban is New Zealand.

And Hughie isnt Robin. He wants to be Batman but knows he isnt. Even though hes talented enough to be. Its different to batman/robin.
    Listen I from 'Murcia. I'm just proud that I nailed the correct hemisphere.
    Also doesn't that describe a Robin?

Side note on the whole one show a week thing. Not overly bummed or excited about it but I wish it meant showrunners wouldn't stick to typical episode lengths if warranted. Some of the bigger cable shows have done it, no excuse streamed shows to stick to one length (except for money of course). Disney sort of did it with Mando but all of those episodes were relatively short anyway.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Listen I from 'Murcia. I'm just proud that I nailed the correct hemisphere.
    Also doesn't that describe a Robin?

Side note on the whole one show a week thing. Not overly bummed or excited about it but I wish it meant showrunners wouldn't stick to typical episode lengths if warranted. Some of the bigger cable shows have done it, no excuse streamed shows to stick to one length (except for money of course). Disney sort of did it with Mando but all of those episodes were relatively short anyway.
    Robin is thankful to batman for taking him in when his parents die in a circus accident.

Hughie isnt thankful to Butcher because he lied to him to get him in. He used hughies girlfriends death against him to get a bug into vought. He used him essentially

He also made him lie to starlight his now "second wind" aka love of his life. So he feels resentment towards butcher, which now in episode 3 is starting to reside because butcher showed he does care by stepping up for him vs homelander
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-09-09 at 08:51 AM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Robin is thankful to batman for taking him in when his parents die in a circus accident.
    Batman had multiple Robins, and I don't just mean the same guy in different universes.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    The once a week thing is a bummer for sure, just wait for it all
    Thats was my thoughts as well.

I'm not paying amazon to string me along for a streaming TV show. Easy enough to wait till they are all released and then watch it all at once like an extra long movie.

So, caught up with this show.

I'm not familiar with the source material, is it supposed to be so on-the-nose? In season 1, Homelander literally gives the George Bush at the 9/11 debris speech at the site of the plane crash, knowing full well he had a part in the plane crash. He's like, a downright fascist dressed in the American flag.

And now in season 2 there's a character named Stormfront? LOL? Is she gonna be a right wing bigot? Edit: Yep, finished episode 3. I'm surprised she just called him a "yellow bastard," I was expecting an outright crazy ass slur.

Also, why the fuck does anyone follow Butcher? He's dangerously unstable and is a large liability. Although I have to admit them just letting Hughie tag along on every mission while they're all holding guns and he's just standing there is pretty fucking lol. And when is someone gonna call Butcher out on his bizarrely stupid "All supes are bad" bullshit? Like, it's just objectively false. The meta-narrative is just that "All supes are people," and people are mostly shit but can occasionally be somewhat okay.

And is the Fresca thing a reference, or just a poorly done and very obvious ad? Cause it's shown up like, multiple times.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2020-09-10 at 10:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Fresca thing is supposed to give off cult like vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    So, caught up with this show.

I'm not familiar with the source material, is it supposed to be so on-the-nose? In season 1, Homelander literally gives the George Bush at the 9/11 debris speech at the site of the plane crash, knowing full well he had a part in the plane crash. He's like, a downright fascist dressed in the American flag.

And now in season 2 there's a character named Stormfront? LOL? Is she gonna be a right wing bigot? Edit: Yep, finished episode 3. I'm surprised she just called him a "yellow bastard," I was expecting an outright crazy ass slur.

Also, why the fuck does anyone follow Butcher? He's dangerously unstable and is a large liability. Although I have to admit them just letting Hughie tag along on every mission while they're all holding guns and he's just standing there is pretty fucking lol. And when is someone gonna call Butcher out on his bizarrely stupid "All supes are bad" bullshit? Like, it's just objectively false. The meta-narrative is just that "All supes are people," and people are mostly shit but can occasionally be somewhat okay.

And is the Fresca thing a reference, or just a poorly done and very obvious ad? Cause it's shown up like, multiple times.
    Stormfront in the comics was an actual Nazi who was picked up in Operation Paperclip and "rehabilitated" by the US government/Vought iirc.

10+ Year Old Account
    New episode released 'early'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Stormfront in the comics was an actual Nazi who was picked up in Operation Paperclip and "rehabilitated" by the US government/Vought iirc.
    Well, looks like they're following this in the show too, after Episode 4. Killed a black kid in the 70s under the name Liberty?

Man, when did this dude write this comic? Did he name Stormfront after the neo-Nazi forums, or the other way around?

Well, looks like they're following this in the show too, after Episode 4. Killed a black kid in the 70s under the name Liberty?

Man, when did this dude write this comic? Did he name Stormfront after the neo-Nazi forums, or the other way around?
    Stormfront in the comics is an analogue for Thor and is touted as a reborn viking. Stormfront was the prototype for Homelander, almost as powerful and was brought up as a Nazi.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Thats was my thoughts as well.

I'm not paying amazon to string me along for a streaming TV show. Easy enough to wait till they are all released and then watch it all at once like an extra long movie.
    Amazon has plenty of other things to watch, plus the actual perks of being a prime member if you buy stuff from the site. You aren’t getting strung along unless you are watching just this one thing.

That stated, I’m a little let down about some of the variations they’ve done from the comic book and I’m wondering if they’ll ever do it. Namely The Boys actually using V to combat the Supes at all, or if it’s just going to stay an underground ineffective spy group. Part of the fun of the comics is them keeping tabs on the Supes and keeping them in line while being able to fight on somewhat equal footing at times.
    Also not sure what to think about how they are handling The First. She’s borderline feral but when they encounter the terrorist she has her own made up language she uses and shows to have very level headed thoughts and understanding. It’s a little contradictory.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2020-09-11 at 10:17 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    well episode 4 definitely explains Stormfront's actions in episode 3.

The character was named after the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    The character was named after the forums.
    See, I'm a guy that likes satire. But I usually expect satire to be more subtle than this. Naming the main hero "Homelander" after the Department of Homeland Security created after 9/11, giving the Bush-on-the-debris speech, and now a literal character that used to be a Nazi, was "rehabbed" as Liberty, and is now Stormfront, to blatantly give away her neo-Nazi tendancies (forget the reliance on social media and the half-shaved head, which are more subtle nods). That's crossing from satire to....well, outright parody, and parody isn't usually that funny for long. Throw in all the corporatization of superheroes a la Marvel, and the critique of the bizarre cultural hero worship in our current society for fictional, idealized versions of these same heroes, and it's a little too on the nose for me.

Plus, Butcher is just way too one dimensional for me. This episode he literally rejects the love of his life's son, calling him "a supe freak." Like, we get it, you hate all supes. But the problem is, the basis for all that hate is largely dissipated. She's still alive. Your issues is specifically with Homelander, who raped her, and why it extends to other supes is.....well, nebulous and non-specific. Hughie is able to separate his hatred of what A-Train did to Robin long enough to even save his life, and fall in love with a different supe, but Butcher is overly edgy and it doesn't make a lick of goddamn sense.

Also, at least this episode puts to rest the issue, Becca was definitely raped.

Plus, Butcher is just way too one dimensional for me. This episode he literally rejects the love of his life's son, calling him "a supe freak." Like, we get it, you hate all supes. But the problem is, the basis for all that hate is largely dissipated. She's still alive. Your issues is specifically with Homelander, who raped her, and why it extends to other supes is.....well, nebulous and non-specific. Hughie is able to separate his hatred of what A-Train did to Robin long enough to even save his life, and fall in love with a different supe, but Butcher is overly edgy and it doesn't make a lick of goddamn sense.
    It's the son of his wife's rapist. While its not the kids fault I can see why he has no love for the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It's the son of his wife's rapist. While its not the kids fault I can see why he has no love for the kid.
    He specifically frames it as him hating his superhero nature. And that Vought will lock him up to experiment on, so there's no need to get attached to him. He doesn't once mention that "all he sees is Homelander when he sees Ryan." In fact, he doesn't behave at all like some men who become detached and less attracted to their partners who get raped. He seems fine with simply having her back.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, I'm a guy that likes satire. But I usually expect satire to be more subtle than this. Naming the main hero "Homelander" after the Department of Homeland Security created after 9/11, giving the Bush-on-the-debris speech, and now a literal character that used to be a Nazi, was "rehabbed" as Liberty, and is now Stormfront, to blatantly give away her neo-Nazi tendancies (forget the reliance on social media and the half-shaved head, which are more subtle nods). That's crossing from satire to....well, outright parody, and parody isn't usually that funny for long. Throw in all the corporatization of superheroes a la Marvel, and the critique of the bizarre cultural hero worship in our current society for fictional, idealized versions of these same heroes, and it's a little too on the nose for me.

Also, at least this episode puts to rest the issue, Becca was definitely raped.
    Well its a lot more DC than Marvel. I doubling down Butcher being Batman, he lives in the same psychosis as Batman, only lacking an alter ego. The still very much remains in the realm of satire while using the world of superheroes as the medium - many superhero stories being satirical themselves. The selling point of the show is what would a Justice League look like in an ultra-capitalist society look like, the rest is its own story.

Homelander abusing Doppelganger to get a mommy version of Madelyn Stillwell is easily one of my favorite scenes in this show. I also like how they're setting up Stormfront to be a foil for Homelander. I loved Aya Cash in You're the Worst and this character matches her dry sarcastic wit perfectly. Loving the new season so far and unlike I guess every other person in the universe I could give a fuck about the episodic release schedule.

10+ Year Old Account
    He specifically frames it as him hating his superhero nature. And that Vought will lock him up to experiment on, so there's no need to get attached to him. He doesn't once mention that "all he sees is Homelander when he sees Ryan." In fact, he doesn't behave at all like some men who become detached and less attracted to their partners who get raped. He seems fine with simply having her back.
    Butcher does not exactly see people as people but pawns in his pursuit of justice and retribution and he sees supes as even less. His flaw is that he is blind to personal humanity, which is kind of the antithesis of his crusade.

He only sees the boy as a science experiment that's the product of rape but will pretend otherwise to get his wife back - who was 100%correct that Butcher would eventually just cast the boy aside.

Butcher is the jailer of the Supes for his own personal tick, the man in his flashbacks is just his Bruce Wayne alter ego.