Thread: The Boys

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Well its a lot more DC than Marvel. I doubling down Butcher being Batman, he lives in the same psychosis as Batman, only lacking an alter ego. The still very much remains in the realm of satire while using the world of superheroes as the medium - many superhero stories being satirical themselves. The selling point of the show is what would a Justice League look like in an ultra-capitalist society look like, the rest is its own story.
    The hero worship bit is much more Marvel, IMO. DC's superheroes tend to have a great internal struggle and/or monologue, and the demons they fight are their own. They are virtuous through their vigilance from their own behavior. Most of them keep secret identities.

Marvel superheroes are more like celebrities and would fall into kind of the themes of this show, imo. A bunch of them are outright out in the open with who they are, like Tony Stark, Cap. Even Black Widow and Hawkeye are known within military circles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Butcher does not exactly see people as people but pawns in his pursuit of justice and retribution and he sees supes as even less. His flaw is that he is blind to personal humanity, which is kind of the antithesis of his crusade.

He only sees the boy as a science experiment that's the product of rape but will pretend otherwise to get his wife back - who was 100%correct that Butcher would eventually just cast the boy aside.

Butcher is the jailer of the Supes for his own personal tick, the man in his flashbacks is just his Bruce Wayne alter ego.
    The interesting thing to me is that he doesn't apply personal humanity to supes. He can't see the difference between Homelander and Starlight and The Female or her brother. And yet he expects people to just accept who he is, which is outside the norm of human society, and just roll with it. That's why the character is so annoying to me - he's one dimensional, selfish, and by all rights should be an outright lone wolf who no one listens to or follows.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Homelander abusing Doppelganger to get a mommy version of Madelyn Stillwell is easily one of my favorite scenes in this show. I also like how they're setting up Stormfront to be a foil for Homelander. I loved Aya Cash in You're the Worst and this character matches her dry sarcastic wit perfectly. Loving the new season so far and unlike I guess every other person in the universe I could give a fuck about the episodic release schedule.
    I wonder if we will see Starlight slip Homelander that little tidbit of information that she discovered; could win Homelander over a bit to her side

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I wonder if we will see Starlight slip Homelander that little tidbit of information that she discovered; could win Homelander over a bit to her side
    After what Homelander did to her in this episode I'm gonna go with a hard no on that one.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    After what Homelander did to her in this episode I'm gonna go with a hard no on that one.
    yeah that is true.... however could be an enemy of my enemy is my friend scenario. depends who she wants to take down first, cause I don't think Stormfront can kill Homelander but Homelander is definitely capable of killing Stormfront

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The hero worship bit is much more Marvel, IMO. DC's superheroes tend to have a great internal struggle and/or monologue, and the demons they fight are their own. They are virtuous through their vigilance from their own behavior. Most of them keep secret identities.

Marvel superheroes are more like celebrities and would fall into kind of the themes of this show, imo. A bunch of them are outright out in the open with who they are, like Tony Stark, Cap. Even Black Widow and Hawkeye are known within military circles.

- - - Updated - - -

The interesting thing to me is that he doesn't apply personal humanity to supes. He can't see the difference between Homelander and Starlight and The Female or her brother. And yet he expects people to just accept who he is, which is outside the norm of human society, and just roll with it. That's why the character is so annoying to me - he's one dimensional, selfish, and by all rights should be an outright lone wolf who no one listens to or follows.
    I can see the Marvel/Avenger comparison from the celebrity aspect. But then I see a Justice League comparison when they sort see themselves outside/above humanity as its special saviors. Not humans with gifts who ought to be heroes. That's just how I see the Avengers vs JL in my head.

I can tolerate Butcher being the way he is because he is obviously meant to be this kind of unlikable sociopath caught up in his own narrow worldview. It's easy in-universe and in real life to not like Butcher but at the same time Butcher comes through for The Boys a lot. He has saved them or steered them in the right direction countless times...oh course that's not without him going back to his nonsense.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-09-12 at 05:16 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    That is some messed up shit with Doppelganger.

Stormfront is extremely wild

The fourth episode tested my patience tbh. It felt like a soap opera that advanced the storyline of 4 or 5 different romances. And these romances are so wholesome and cheesy, like the guy lying to the girl over the phone to protect her, the girl getting upset because the guy isn't honest with her. Such drama.

And the humor man. It's rarely elevated beyond heads exploding and then actors theatrically panicking while covered in brain splatter. My hopes for this to be a TV version of Deadpool are dead. There is no comparison to be made anymore.

Still it's pretty fun to watch, I just expected them to elevate things a bit after finding such success the first season. Maybe the show would've been more enjoyable binged in one or two sittings. These weekly releases give me too much time to ponder over the cracks.

And then Stormfront. Forget about some nuance or ambiguity, the moment we find out there is more to her we they show us one of her hate crimes in graphic detail, including upset child of course. Just in case you missed the memo that she is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    The fourth episode tested my patience tbh. It felt like a soap opera that advanced the storyline of 4 or 5 different romances. And these romances are so wholesome and cheesy, like the guy lying to the girl over the phone to protect her, the girl getting upset because the guy isn't honest with her. Such drama.

And the humor man. It's rarely elevated beyond heads exploding and then actors theatrically panicking while covered in brain splatter. My hopes for this to be a TV version of Deadpool are dead. There is no comparison to be made anymore.

Still it's pretty fun to watch, I just expected them to elevate things a bit after finding such success the first season. Maybe the show would've been more enjoyable binged in one or two sittings. These weekly releases give me too much time to ponder over the cracks.

And then Stormfront. Forget about some nuance or ambiguity, the moment we find out there is more to her we they show us one of her hate crimes in graphic detail, including upset child of course. Just in case you missed the memo that she is evil.
    I agree it wasnt the strongest episode but you're being a bit harsh with the kid evil memo thing

They used a kid to highlight the age jump really, that stromfront is really old basically. If they had used an adult it wouldnt be so noticeable maybe
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    I agree it wasnt the strongest episode but you're being a bit harsh with the kid evil memo thing

They used a kid to highlight the age jump really, that stromfront is really old basically. If they had used an adult it wouldnt be so noticeable maybe
    I just found it a crass way to establish a villain. But hey at least she is one of the few characters on the show not currently in a romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I just found it a crass way to establish a villain. But hey at least she is one of the few characters on the show not currently in a romance.
    She seems pretty flirty with homelander, we'll see how long that lasts lol

Why is The Deep even in the series. He seems so irrelevant.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    He's a fun character. Tbh his character arc seems the most unique and interesting. A total jerkass and a borderline rapist who really tries to go through some sort of a redemption arc but has no freaking idea how to do so. The fact that the series actually tries to make the audience sympathize with a character whos first on screen action was mobbing and rape is pretty damn ballsy.

Definitly gone downhill for him, since his gills were fingerbanged by that random woman...

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    He was basically irrelevant in the comics too. Since was the Seven's version of Aquaman, he was basically a personification of the "Aquaman is useless" joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post

I think the point is that it feels rushed to some degree, as the story is something that you can build up effectively over time.

Beyond that, season 2 is kind of slow and heavily departing from the source material in terms of tone thus far (storyline I'll give creative freedom a nod for now, although I think they're writing Hughie in a very odd way in S2 that's trending towards generic buffoon). First couple of S2 episodes do feel like your generic drama that are a dime a dozen, as S1 probably went the more appropriate way in keeping it limited, to the point, the moving on (which is the complete opposite of how the relationship drama scenes are being executed right now). Watching Homelander is the best part of the show right now, as he's the most interesting and fun to watch aspect in S2.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Wut...
    A show per week is supposed to be the norm.
    WAS the norm. then came netflix and the binge.
    they only do this weekly releases NOW for longer user rentention so they dont just watch a show and leave till the next thing, same reason why netflix got rid of the free trial month = money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    His interactions with sea creatures have been the best lol

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t think she’s flirty with him. She’s stroking his ego to take his attention away from what she’s up to.
    I'd say that is 1/2 of it. To me, I do think she believes that Homelander is the perfect aryan example. She will likely want him on her side and use him in white supremacist propaganda.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think by the end of this season the Seven will split up - Homelander and Stormfront on one side, and Starlight, Maeve and A-Train on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post

I don’t think she’s flirty with him. She’s stroking his ego to take his attention away from what she’s up to.
    Still think shes not being flirty with him? lol.