Thread: The Boys

Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If the Russians really wanted to kill Soldier Boy, couldn't they just drown him? No amount of super powers are going to save your body from a lack of oxygen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Not going to happen. Homelander's psycho grin brings in the viewers - he'll stick around until the very end, I can promise you that. He's the posterboy for the entire show, and those don't get killed off in the middle of a run.
    The meta side of me is thinking the same thing, seeing as they just got approved for season 4 and probably don't want to lose their star actor.

Though they might try to do something else like steal Homelander's powers away but keep him alive and suffer through Soldier Boy's rule at the top now. Probably going to do something more with Soldier Boy as they've been building him up this entire season with no very much screen time.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    If the Russians really wanted to kill Soldier Boy, couldn't they just drown him? No amount of super powers are going to save your body from a lack of oxygen.
    It’s a fairly common trop for unkillble super hero's to either not actually need to breathe or they do need to but when cut off of air they just go into stasis, or they take damage from the lack of air but then just heal it after.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Watched the new episode tonight.

Kinda felt extremely forced with this rift they are trying to make between Starlight and Hughie. Feel like she should be waaaaay more in favor of using Soldier Boy as a means to kill Homelander. Homelander literally threatened to wipe out the United States a few episodes ago and Soldier Boy is literally the only the only weapon they have against him.
    That, to me anyway, isn't what is causing any rift. I think you've missed that motivation.

Its Hughie REPEATEDLY hiding crap, lying, covering it up, saying he's coming clean and making promises and then breaking those promises (not 24 hours later) - again and again.

I don't think Starlight has any issue using Solider Boy - she just doesn't know the details yet. It went (for her) from 'weapon against homelander' to 'Solider Boy is alive" but she was never brought in by Hughie on ANY ideas of using SB as the weapon against Homelander until the moment she arrived on the 'surprise' scene. If Hughie had been honest with her about any of it, or if Hughie hadn't taken the temp-V, or if Hughie hadn't promised not to again (etc.) she wouldn't have been angry with him in that moment.

But since Hughie PROMISED he wasn't going to take V again, and that it was "Them full Partners" vs. the world (again) - only for her to show up and he's on V, again lying to her, again trying to be 'honest after the fact' (which isn't being honest) - yeah. THAT's creating the rift. She can't trust him. And after he repeatedly tries to insist she can trust him - only to repeatedly betray that trust 'for reasons' and ask again to be trusted - She less and less is believing that she can trust him (as she should.)

Hughie's shooting his own self in the foot with his feelings of insecurity and inadequacy and not being honest with the woman he 'loves' about these things. He tells Butcher, but not the one he needs to be telling (Her). To Her - he's either lying and knows he's lying but is hoping not to get caught or that he can get out of it (only reason to promise not to use V when you know you're going to use V again), or he's so weak willed that he's not able to keep his word to anyone depending on who he's around in the moment. Neither makes a boyfriend you can depend on and trust.

I'm not saying she's being right or fair in her judgements; but at the same time she's not being given the full information to make a 'more fair' decision about this whole thing. Hughie hasn't been honest with her about a ton of stuff and this is the only 'most recent stuff' she's found out about. As Hughie said, "I was hoping you wouldn't find out/wouldn't be here." That's his justification and explanation for why he feels he can break a promise to her -- rather than being honest with her in the first conversation (Fully honest) and how likely it could be that he'd use it again if he had the chance. Any number of other conversations that could have been had - rather than "no.. no I won't do that again. I promise! Its us against the world! You and me!"

THAT is the rift. Nothing at all to do with Soldier Boy. Soldier Boy is just the circumstance around which Hughie got caught (this time.) But the issue between Starlight and Hughie is outside of that. And I can't believe she didn't dump him in that moment, honestly. Hughie is not, at all, treating with her the way he should be or how she deserves. And he needs to be held accountable for it.

Myself - I'm finding it a bit hard to believe Frenchie hasn't informed them about SB's ability that removes-other-supes-abilities. I mean I get Frenchie is mad at them because of what happened with his 'new girlfriend' (sorry can't remember character name); but at the same time he also knows what they're after (weapon against Homelander) and that they have no idea that Homelander's ability totally wiped her powers away.

So Butcher n'Co are going with "his boom might be bigger than Homelander's boom" as their best 'weapon" having no idea what Frenchie knows. It just seems a "reach" logically for plot-purposes of dragging it on rather than a realistic 'unknown' - as well as a 'reach' that Frenchie wouldn't tell them (or told them before he got Nina-grabbed). But maybe that's just me.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Why wouldn't she use a trick to get rid of Noir in half a second, instead of fighting a 2-hours duel with probably an 50/50 chance of winning ? I mean, always better to have a contingency plan.
    We haven't seen much about Maeve or Noir in action so far, (Maeve in S1E1 and in last episode of Season 2, punching Stormfront but 3v1 vs Noir only at Butcher's aunt's house, duel vs newly-freed Kimiko and against Naqlib ?) so difficult to tell what are the power levels.
    I'm just saying there's no reason to believe Maeve could "easily overpower" Noir. All we saw was her attack him from behind and then force feed him an almond joy.

- - - Updated - - -

They clearly didn't want to just kill him. They wanted to use him to jumpstart their own Super program.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They clearly didn't want to just kill him. They wanted to use him to jumpstart their own Super program.
    If that were true, why was the "base" he was kept nearly abandoned? There were like 10 guards and a chainlink fence, you don't even need to be a supe to be able to storm that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    If that were true, why was the "base" he was kept nearly abandoned? There were like 10 guards and a chainlink fence, you don't even need to be a supe to be able to storm that.
    Because it wasn't going as planned? As seen in our present time Russians tend to give up military assets rather quickly.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Could very well be that they reached the end of there ropes with failure post losing the Cold War and didn’t see the sense and keeping a fully manned base doing nothing there.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I'm surprised that none of the characters have seemed interested in the gas the Russians were using that apparently knocked Soldier Boy out in seconds.

Perhaps it's moot since they're not exactly going to go back and ask the Russians what it was, but seeing him knocked out cold instantly in the video would sure have had me thinking, "What is that and how can I get some in Homelanders face?"

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    I'm surprised that none of the characters have seemed interested in the gas the Russians were using that apparently knocked Soldier Boy out in seconds.

Perhaps it's moot since they're not exactly going to go back and ask the Russians what it was, but seeing him knocked out cold instantly in the video would sure have had me thinking, "What is that and how can I get some in Homelanders face?"
    Ha! Thought the same thing... "Hey...there's that gas...?"

My thought (as to why they might not be interested in that) more related to the idea that they want to "kill" Homelander, not just incapacitate him. Perhaps the idea that he'd 'wake up' at some point from the gas and so it wasn't a long term solution? Or perhaps the assumption that just because the gas knocks Soldier Boy out doesn't mean it would work on Homelander?

Or perhaps its just speaking to Butcher's one sighted-tunnel vision, which he's already stated, "There is no Line with me..." And to Butcher if its not directly, immediately, "killing Homelander" he just doesn't see any alternatives or side-tracks to get to that goal. They're making it very evident Butcher is willing to sacrifice everything he may (or may not) stand for and all his friends just to be able to KILL HOMELANDER/SUPES and no other goal will suffice. So a gas that just makes it 'easier' to kill isn't even on his radar? (maybe...just coming up with theories lol).

Not trying to look too deep into plot 'holes' (if you call it that) or anything; but it was something I was seeing and wondering the same as you - "Why can't that be useful somehow?" But as I'm not someone who normally rips into shows for sticking to tropes and not going with obvious answers (like "talking to each other") its also not something I'm saying is all that big of a deal. Just "things that make you go..hrmm?"
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Myself - I'm finding it a bit hard to believe Frenchie hasn't informed them about SB's ability that removes-other-supes-abilities. I mean I get Frenchie is mad at them because of what happened with his 'new girlfriend' (sorry can't remember character name); but at the same time he also knows what they're after (weapon against Homelander) and that they have no idea that Homelander's ability totally wiped her powers away.
    Oh, I just assume they all knew since they were all there when she was blasted, they all saw her not instantly regenerating, and they all spent a whole ass jet ride from Russia back to the States nursing her.

Look at the flashbacks in the New York scene https://youtu.be/wAYMBmu_MNU?t=57
    Mainly the shooting into his mouth with a gun like that doesn't exactly scream wanting to start your own Super program. They were clearly trying to kill him for a few decades but nothing worked, so they just settled for putting him to sleep forever and forgetting about him.

Likely they were researching for a good method for killing all other Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post

They had the gas at the Countess scene. MM mentions it by name....halcogene or something like that? It's in those little containers he's handing out to Butcher and Hughie.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    They had the gas at the Countess scene. MM mentions it by name....halcogene or something like that? It's in those little containers he's handing out to Butcher and Hughie.
    Ok, what the hell...I must have looked away or something during that scene, because I spent the entire damn episode thinking about it and then I missed it right there?

That's it, I'm out.

Look at the flashbacks in the New York scene https://youtu.be/wAYMBmu_MNU?t=57
    Mainly the shooting into his mouth with a gun like that doesn't exactly scream wanting to start your own Super program. They were clearly trying to kill him for a few decades but nothing worked, so they just settled for putting him to sleep forever and forgetting about him.

Likely they were researching for a good method for killing all other Supes.
    They didn't go through the effort of capturing him just to kill him. They were experimenting on him for almost 3 decades. If they just wanted to put him to sleep forever they would put him in a rocket and fire him at the sun.

- - - Updated - - -

3 decades of experiments says they weren't just looking to kill him.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-06-22 at 11:28 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

They didn't go through the effort of capturing him just to kill him. They were experimenting on him for almost 3 decades. If they just wanted to put him to sleep forever they would put him in a rocket and fire him at the sun.
    Going to have to refute what I replied with instead of repeating your initial post if you want this to go anywhere.

In where universe is shooting Soldier Boy repeatedly in the mouth evidence of a scientific procedure meant to make other Supes... rather than just another attempt at killing him?

Going to have to refute what I replied with instead of repeating your initial post if you want this to go anywhere.

In where universe is shooting Soldier Boy repeatedly in the mouth evidence of a scientific procedure meant to make other Supes... rather than just another attempt at killing him?
    I don't know...maybe in a universe where Soldier boy is Bulletproof?

I mean, you don't need a lab to shoot people in the mouth.

It was all for experiment reasons. Of course they tried many weapons on him, maybe because they were unable to extract some blood or whatever to analyze the V.
    I'm not sure why the Russians would have paid for a special operation leading to kidnap him just to try to kill him in Russia. Doesn't make much sense.

Plus, the existence of super hamster is enough to conclude on "they were experimenting on him" rather than "they just wanted to kill him and somehow a hamster became superpowered just like that".

Regarding the "nearly abandoned" labo.
    1st, a nearly abandoned laboratory with not so much presence reduces the risk of Black Noir being asked by Stan to blitz through it. A full blown "secret military base" with thousands of guards and top-notch security being built just after you captured a super soldier ? That's like a huge neon banner indicating you want America's superheroes to come rescue him
    2nd, if they were working on replicating the V for decades, it's very likely they stopped caring when Homelander decided to give some V to everyone and their mothers. It's very likely that they've retrieved some of the V from the Talibans or directly from Homelander himself when he wanted to have Super Villains threatening America to push the Seven into the army.
    So if the Russians obtained the V, it didn't make much sense to go on with their own research.

Quote Originally Posted by casseillikoke4615 View Post
    The soldier is bulletproof as it is.
    Yes, that was my point.

However, for some mysterious reason, he was replaced by Homeworlder
    Soldier Boy wasn't replaced by Homelander. Soldier Boy was abducted by the Russians years before Homelander became active.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Oh, I just assume they all knew since they were all there when she was blasted, they all saw her not instantly regenerating, and they all spent a whole ass jet ride from Russia back to the States nursing her.
    I thought about that - but *I* saw that whole scene as them more just not knowing WTF happened with Her and her abilities. Not even knowing if she'd live or die - if the attack was so severe it was just taking her 'longer' to regenerate (something I was thinking might be happening if she wasn't outright dead), or if it was a temporary problem, or well, again, just "WTF is going on?!" They didn't discuss what it 'might' mean, they didn't discuss it at all in that scene - other than to look panicked and (understandably) and trying to get her to help while also processing Butcher/Hughie choice to take Temp-V.

Until she woke up and verified she not only couldn't regenerate, but ALL her powers were gone - no one else in that van *knew* that. Frenchie looked SURPRISED when she told him that revelation (at least to me) and not "Yeah...we know..." type of reaction. And then he's not called and told anyone that she's even still alive - or verifying "yes - SB removed all those powers 'like we thought' she didn't get them back!" So that's the part that feels - off - to me.

So - Everyone else is making a lot of dangerous assumptions /not/ knowing exactly what SB powers did to Her if we're going on the idea that they just took that one attack and her not immediately healing as evidence that SB attack "removes all super powers permanently."

Even when Hughie takes a few seconds to try and convince Starlight that SB is still their answer - he goes with the statement implying that SB's power is so great and overwhelming that he's their 'best option'. What he DOESN'T say is "SB's power removes Supe abilities!! Its our only chance!!" It would have taken just as few words, and been (imo) much more convincing, then what he does say. Because Starlight does not walk away from that confrontation with any idea that SB "new power" includes turning Supes into normal humans. Seems like a big important factoid to drop in such a conversation, rather than withholding it for later. =D

I mean if that's what they are saying - that the assumption made in the van ride was all of them 'already knowing' - that's fine. It has some logic leaps, sure, but alright. Just the reason it 'stood out' so much to me in THIS show is that, normally, IMO, this show's writing is smarter than that. That 'writing level' is more on par, to me, with other shows that jump around or hand wave lots of details for 'plot reasons' that normally this show isn't so guilty of.

Of course, I also realize that, this could be a 'question' that is quickly solved in the next episode in a two minute exchange also. The 'window' for them learning about Her "Complete Power Loss", more "Officially" or "for sure" is in no way closed. Hell - they could "officially" be told by the Healing Woman (Keikyo? Is that her name/ I suck at names...) if she realizes Frenchie's been napped and she gets back in touch with them to tell them Frenchie's Missing, and she can't go get him because she's "Regular Human" now.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-06-23 at 06:56 PM.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

I mean, she's been shot in the head and had her neck snapped and regenerated pretty instantly. I'd imagine The Boys would assume her powers were somehow compromised if she hadn't healed after a plane ride from Moscow to NYC.