Thread: The Boys

Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post

(unrelated to the The Boys) But the worst kid in any show was the stupid son in The Strain. He might be the worst child put into any show.
    Yeah I really wished his dad would have killed him when he had the chance. It's nice he died in the end but I would have preferred he didn't get a redemption.
    If Ryan goes bad I hope they don't do the same thing and just let him die a pos.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Man, get this "simp" nonsense out of here. All you're describing is your own personal deep and unhealthy insecurities.
    Ohhh look, the retarded kommie is into cuckolding, who would have thought?

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-07-12 at 02:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    This was another thing that kind of irked me. I got some real CW Network level special effects vibes from a lot of the "big fight scene" at the end there, especially with Starlight's part. (Maybe they spent the whole season's budget on MM's scene in Herogasm?) I had to rewatch the scene a second time before I even realized that Hughie was amplifying her powers because so much was going on at once and most of it happened without any explanation whatsoever.
    Hughie helped her by increasing the power, and gave a gratified smile when it worked. He was torn between using the Temp-V, or using a different way to save her that didn't cost him his humanity, and life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    There is nothing simpish about being a stepfather.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Some of you are so incredibly insecure it’s sad. It isn’t the 1000’s any more being a big enough man to be a step father isn’t a character flaw and thinking it is just puts your own weakness on display.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-07-12 at 01:04 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Some of you are so incredibly insecure it’s sad. It isn’t the 1000’s any more being a big enough man to be a step father isn’t a character flaw and thinking it is just puts your own weakness on display.
    People with no life experience just screech that stuff. Ignore it and it'll go away.

I loved the way that butcher was handled with his kid. I mean, realizing that your kid is not yours but from your worst enemy has to rattle anyone.

Sigh..I am not worried about "who is going after whom". Problem is that "Boys" have been going after homelander for 3 seasons with zero result and a conclusion that they simply can't take him down (thank you stupid plot lines). So what they could possibly try in season 4th? Make homelander turn good? Repent? A new duper weapon that will totally kill homie boy? Story is going nowhere. Whole new "VP" villain is just nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Whole new "VP" villain is just nonsense.
    What do you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    What do you mean by this?
    It's a sidequest that matters less than Homelander possibly being empowered to be completely unhinged. Which, as of now, has no solution after 3 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's a sidequest that matters less than Homelander possibly being empowered to be completely unhinged. Which, as of now, has no solution after 3 years.
    I can see that. To me though, the Newman story has been more interesting. Seeing the corruption hiding in the shadows the way it is, and building more and more power all while people are distracted by Homelander's antics. To me, that is a much bigger threat than 1 Supe going crazy.

Well, that 1 Supe knows she pops heads and can seemingly harm her. And it seems like she can't (or hasn't tried) to pop his head yet, so there's a non-zero chance he could just laser her from behind and become VP himself, in The Boys' version of the Reichstag Fire.

Hughie helped her by increasing the power, and gave a gratified smile when it worked. He was torn between using the Temp-V, or using a different way to save her that didn't cost him his humanity, and life.
    I got that. My complaint was mostly how a lot of effects in the fight scene came off pretty low quality considering tbe fairly high bar the series has had elsewhere. Like I said, it felt a bit like the show had exhausted its special effects budget and they did the best they could.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They've had 3 seasons of "V makes you an asshole"
    It's not "V makes you and asshole". Hasn't been, isn't, and won't be. Starlight, remember?

The "asshole" comes out with the Super Powers. That's the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Sigh..I am not worried about "who is going after whom". Problem is that "Boys" have been going after homelander for 3 seasons with zero result and a conclusion that they simply can't take him down (thank you stupid plot lines). So what they could possibly try in season 4th? Make homelander turn good? Repent? A new duper weapon that will totally kill homie boy? Story is going nowhere. Whole new "VP" villain is just nonsense.
    I am concerned that S4 is going to stagnate with another round of "we can't kill Homelander". However, they brought in some really good new stuff in S3, so we'll have to wait and see.

WTF do you mean by the VP nonsense? That's a terrific plot line playing itself out, quite naturally. And, we still don't know if she can stop Homelander.

The new dynamic with Homelander and Butcher protecting Ryan, who is going to be SUCH an asshole, is interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I got that. My complaint was mostly how a lot of effects in the fight scene came off pretty low quality considering tbe fairly high bar the series has had elsewhere. Like I said, it felt a bit like the show had exhausted its special effects budget and they did the best they could.
    I totally hear that. I really expected something far grander than what we got with a high powered Starlight. Like, perhaps temporarily blinding everyone or something. And the effects could have been way cooler.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    we still don't know if she can stop Homelander.
    My personal opinion is, she can absolutely kill Homelander. But she doesn't because he is an asset to her political goals. She runs on the anti-supe platform, and homelander basically provides a constant stream of material for her to use to push her agenda.

Once he is no longer of use to her, she could pop his head quite easily. Homelander had a pencil jammed in his ear. It actually penetrated, and he bled. If wood and graphite can puncture his inner flesh like that, she can pop his brain with ease.

10+ Year Old Account
    My personal opinion is, she can absolutely kill Homelander. But she doesn't because he is an asset to her political goals. She runs on the anti-supe platform, and homelander basically provides a constant stream of material for her to use to push her agenda.

Once he is no longer of use to her, she could pop his head quite easily. Homelander had a pencil jammed in his ear. It actually penetrated, and he bled. If wood and graphite can puncture his inner flesh like that, she can pop his brain with ease.
    Like, I think people are significantly overlooking the meaning of that Maeve fight.

She drew blood. She lost, but she went up against Homelander 1v1 and drew blood.

Homelander is, demonstrably, not as invincible as people thought. You just need a few supes present with powers that step up to Maeve's level and some way to keep the slippery bastard from flying away the split second he gets free of the mob.

They even established this earlier with Soldier Boy and Butcher and Hughie all pinning Homelander, at Herogasm. If they had a fourth, jamming an iron spike in Homelander's ear and hitting it with a hammer enough times would probably have done the trick, too.

Also, I went back and re-checked what Maeve jammed in his ear. It's a drinking straw, and it appears to be one of the metal ones. I'm sure it's possible it's a plastic straw colored to looks metallic, but that seems like a stretch and it's easier to just accept it is what it looks like. It's even lying next to a spilled drink when Maeve grabs it off the floor. Timestamp 45:11 if you want to take a look yourself.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Well, that 1 Supe knows she pops heads and can seemingly harm her. And it seems like she can't (or hasn't tried) to pop his head yet, so there's a non-zero chance he could just laser her from behind and become VP himself, in The Boys' version of the Reichstag Fire.
    Homelander can certainly kill her, but we don't know if she can pop him. There was even a scene about it - he suggested she try and see how it goes. It seems like her being able to do that would be too easy of an out though. The solution to killing HM can't wait for S6, but I hope it's creative. We know he can be hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

I think so, too. And yeah, she needs him to push her agenda - keep the "fear" going so she can wrestle control. And her entire agenda is uncertain at this point. So far it's just power grab and keeping herself a secret.

- - - Updated - - -

Like, I think people are significantly overlooking the meaning of that Maeve fight.

She drew blood. She lost, but she went up against Homelander 1v1 and drew blood.

Homelander is, demonstrably, not as invincible as people thought. You just need a few supes present with powers that step up to Maeve's level and some way to keep the slippery bastard from flying away the split second he gets free of the mob.

They even established this earlier with Soldier Boy and Butcher and Hughie all pinning Homelander, at Herogasm. If they had a fourth, jamming an iron spike in Homelander's ear and hitting it with a hammer enough times would probably have done the trick, too.

Also, I went back and re-checked what Maeve jammed in his ear. It's a drinking straw, and it appears to be one of the metal ones. I'm sure it's possible it's a plastic straw colored to looks metallic, but that seems like a stretch and it's easier to just accept it is what it looks like. It's even lying next to a spilled drink when Maeve grabs it off the floor. Timestamp 45:11 if you want to take a look yourself.
    Agreed. He's killable, for sure. Just a matter of getting the right situation, with enough Supe's. The Maeve fight was clutch - as well as Herogasm. But Maeve made him bleed on her own.

10+ Year Old Account

I believe you that it is a straw. The main point is, as you outlined, she made him bleed. She actually wounded him. And she was alone in that engagement. Like you said, if enough supes got together, he could be taken down. Problem is obviously, not many see him as a problem. Only those in the inner circle know what he is really about.

It's not "V makes you and asshole". Hasn't been, isn't, and won't be. Starlight, remember?
    Starlight is the exception that proves the rule.

The "asshole" comes out with the Super Powers. That's the point.
    That's splitting the hair really thin. V gives people the super powers.

The point is "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely". Homelander is the example of "absolute power"... but pretty much everyone else that has been given V is corrupt.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Starlight is the exception that proves the rule.

That's splitting the hair really thin. V gives people the super powers.

The point is "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely". Homelander is the example of "absolute power"... but pretty much everyone else that has been given V is corrupt.
    I'd suspect that V has an effect similar to steroids and the "roid-rage" effect. Then again you are probably right that if you can't be touched by most anyone that is normal why care and just be an asshole.

Starlight can be an asshole just as much as any of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Homelander can certainly kill her, but we don't know if she can pop him. There was even a scene about it - he suggested she try and see how it goes. It seems like her being able to do that would be too easy of an out though. The solution to killing HM can't wait for S6, but I hope it's creative. We know he can be hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

I think so, too. And yeah, she needs him to push her agenda - keep the "fear" going so she can wrestle control. And her entire agenda is uncertain at this point. So far it's just power grab and keeping herself a secret.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. He's killable, for sure. Just a matter of getting the right situation, with enough Supe's. The Maeve fight was clutch - as well as Herogasm. But Maeve made him bleed on her own.
    They could technically give Maeve a dose of blue V like they did Kimiko Miyashiro / The Female to her powers back.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    It's not the V that corrupts it's the power itsel. the V is like money. Money doesn't change who you are, it just allows you to become more of what you already were, since most of the consequences for doing so have vanished.
    Again, that's splitting the hair really thin. "It's not the V that corrupts... its the power". The V is what gives them the power.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd strongly disagree with that thesis with regards to The Boys, specifically. Particularly this season, with the temp-V the Boys have been using.

It's my one big issue with the show, as compared to other comparable deconstructions of superheroism like the animated Prime show Invincible. The central thesis in The Boys is that everyone is an asshole. V isn't corrupting anyone; it's just giving them the strength and confidence to be who they really want to be. Butcher didn't become any more of an asshole this season; he's literally always been this much of an ass. Hell, arguably less so this season than in the past, in many ways. Hughie, though, absolutely let his inner asshole come out (and yes, that's a joke about his teleporting naked). That's why he had that fight with Starlight. That's why he had that big moment in the finale; take the Temp-V and try and save the day, or stand down and let Starlight save the day, because she doesn't need him to save her, just support her. He makes the right decision there, because he's not a complete asshole and he can learn and improve, but his first reactions to V were to be that asshole, and it took Starlight explaining his bullshit back to him for Hughie to start to get it.

Same goes for the rest of The Boys; Frenchie's got serious issues that were explored with Nina, and while he's trying to be better now, he's clearly had little issue with killing people. Kimiko got over her personal issues this season, but that means she's totally okay with getting super-violent and stopped blaming her powers for her actions (literally the point of her arc). Milk got permission to focus on his quest for vengeance at the expense of his daughter's time with him; that it was a conflict is an asshole thing, that he couldn't put his vengeance aside for his family's sake is an asshole thing, and finding a path where they accept that as a given and choose to let him work it out is just accepting the asshole side and hoping he can work through it.

Everyone's an asshole. Some are bigger assholes, because we're not drawing equivalences here, but nobody's a saint. Whether on V or not. Power lets them give less of a shit about consequences, until someone (usually Vought itself) with even greater power steps on them, but it isn't the V causing the bad behaviour, it's just the key that unlocks the door and lets the inner asshole out. That inner asshole was always there.

It's so bleak it's my one real issue with the show. Invincible, by comparison, simultaneously breaks down Superman via Omni-Man, while rebuilding the idea back up from the shattered pieces through Invincible himself.

Edit: Added an underline to the main point since I rambled a bit.