Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Diaspora, by Greg Egan.

The beginning (orphanogenesis) was possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King ( post-apocalypse, sci-fi, horror )
    Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy ( This book is about a fictional world war 3 between America and Russia. )
    Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice ( This is a book about god and the devil )
    Valis by Phillip K Dick ( god is an artificial intelligence in another galaxy )
    Anything by Kurt Vonnegut
    War of the Worlds and The Time Machine by HG Wells
    Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft ( Geologists discover some strange things in Antartica )

Deleted
    I suggest the book of kings: Shahnameh

Your list doesn't really help. It's totally mixed, but I try to find something good for ya.

-The Hobbit,
    -(maybe) 'moon of the spider' or 'sin wars' - diablo
    -(maybe) you might want to read Karl May if you can find english versions of him. I liked his books. Especially the stories of the orient. 'in the desert'
    -Necroscope (starts as crime with some xmen mixed in, ends as WoW outlands adventure)
    Last edited by Inukashi; 2018-07-04 at 09:47 PM.

Deleted
    If you liked Lord of the Rings, you should give The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales a try, they're also by JRRT but focus more on the First and Second Era

15+ Year Old Account
    A book I read in High School that I thoroughly enjoyed was To Kill A Mockingbird to Harper Lee

Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis.

His comics contain many horrible things that are "inspired" by the world around us.

After reading this book I got the impression this was all the weird shit he couldn't convince an artist to draw.

Except for Macroherpetophiles. He did manage to get Jacen Burrows to draw that.

If you enjoyed the Hitchhiker series I highly recommend the Discworld series if, for some reason, you haven't read any.

The Stand by Stephen King Patriot Games by Clancy Foundation Series by Asimov, Dragons Dawn by Mccaffery and GOT by Martin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khadgar View Post
    A book I read in High School that I thoroughly enjoyed was To Kill A Mockingbird to Harper Lee

I had heard this title vaguely before, but I went ahead and read it. Short but very enjoyable read.

Thanks for the suggestion

Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Read it in one afternoon waiting for my then girlfriend to get off work at a hotel. Read it in the parking lot on a beautiful day and day dreamt about the futility of our existence and the dark humor behind it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium

If you want good young adult fiction, I can highly recommend the Mortal Engines series by Philip Reeve. Very well written post-apocalyptic diesel-punk, currently being turned into a movie franchise by Peter Jackson.

The Expanse, The Old Man's War, and Expeditionary Force series are three I usually recommend for Sci-fi. IF you are looking for something similar to Ready Player One, I recently listened to the first three books from a series called Ascend Online. It is no literary masterpiece, but it was enjoyable to listen to.

Edited to add: If you pick up the Old Man's war series you can skip book 4. It is the same as book 3, but is told from a teenage girl's perspective.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Deleted
    Been having a great time reading the Misborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson recently. I'd also suggest looking into the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Edited to add: If you pick up the Old Man's war series you can skip book 4. It is the same as book 3, but is told from a teenage girl's perspective.
    i stopped the series right there when it was published. How did he think that was a good idea?

The whole situation felt like the situation Card had with ender's game - a great story expanded to a novel, and then nothing but books in that setting after, but the subsequent books are quite different. maybe more extreme in card's case.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-20 at 12:56 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    i stopped the series right there when it was published. How did he think that was a good idea?

The whole situation felt like the situation Card had with ender's game - a great story expanded to a novel, and then nothing but books in that setting after, but the subsequent books are quite different. maybe more extreme in card's case.
    I speculated that the change of writing style was when he was shopping the series to TV networks. I liked book 5, but it was hard to get through because it was written like a screenplay. Practically the entire book was nothing but dialogue.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    I speculated that the change of writing style was when he was shopping the series to TV networks. I liked book 5, but it was hard to get through because it was written like a screenplay. Practically the entire book was nothing but dialogue.
    that is an interesting idea, and certainly if he was looking to shop rights on the series, I guess any number of things become possible.

I liked his re-write of Little Fuzzy, and I assume I would like other standalone projects if he did them, but it is something of a trap for an author with one really big best-seller right out of the gate. Publishers want sequels, authors have bills, etc.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Howling Mad
    Salem's Lot
    Captain Steel & Other Stories
    Mindhunter
    The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay