Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I didn't particularly like it at first, in the sense that I thought 2016 was better due to the lack of ammo and needing to manage coodowns. It plays very differently then 2016 and even tho I got through 2016 on nightmare I really struggled on ultra-violence and had to drop it down one difficulty level. Turns out I just needed to heavily adjust my play style and now I'm loving it just as much as I did 2016. I feel like I could turn it back up to ultra violence and be fine now, but i'm just gonna finish it and start a new game.

I still think it's def harder than 2016 and I'm just as scared as I am excited for my nightmare playthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Am i the only one kind of annoyed by the story and the humanization of Doom Slayer?
    I had the opposite feeling. I hate how they turned him from a pissed off space marine into whatever deity they've decided to make him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I didn't particularly like it at first, in the sense that I thought 2016 was better due to the lack of ammo and needing to manage coodowns. It plays very differently then 2016 and even tho I got through 2016 on nightmare I really struggled on ultra-violence and had to drop it down one difficulty level. Turns out I just needed to heavily adjust my play style and now I'm loving it just as much as I did 2016. I feel like I could turn it back up to ultra violence and be fine now, but i'm just gonna finish it and start a new game.

I still think it's def harder than 2016 and I'm just as scared as I am excited for my nightmare playthrough.
    I personally love both games equally. I appreciate 2016's simplicity and, for lack of a better term, purity, and Eternal's platforming is very so-so which brings it down a bit, but the latter's gameplay loop is just fucking transcendent and unlike 2016, the art design is simply amazing. Once you get used to the idea of having a tool for every task and a task for every tool, the combat just clicks, and things that felt superfluous become necessary. The only thing I end up not using is the plasme rifle's microwave mod; expending half your plasma ammo to lock down one enemy with a channel just doesn't work when the game throws a kitchen sink's worth of demons at you.

The game reminds me of XCOM 2 in a way even if the genre is totally different. It added tons and tons of new stuff that I found overkill... until I played at higher difficulties and could appreciate just how valuable those options were. The lead designer said they wanted the game to feel like chess, and I totally get where he's coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Edit 2: Kinda massive story spoiler. I did a bit of googling, and i can't be the only one that realizes that Samur, the hooded figure that led Doomguy into the machine that made him the Slayer, is Samuel Hayden, right? Because it is mentioned absolutely nowhere.
    That's what I'm thinking too,not only he knows way more than a human,demon or anything else for that matter should,but apparently his body is of the same architecture as the maykr-made fortress of doom,and VEGA is apparently the Father (and Samur,the Seraphim is said to have stolen the essence of the Father).on top of that when you enter that room with the heart of the Icon of Sin,you're welcomed as the Seraphim,which is probably due to Samuel Hayden being "with you".
    The thing that's weird is that 2016 establishes that he was human before becoming a robot,but maybe the human Samuel Hayden and the robot Samuel hayden are two different people or something.
    Honestly the way they handled that,by dropping a lot of hints everywhere and not just telling the player outright was pretty well done

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I feel like I could turn it back up to ultra violence and be fine now.
    It's definitely rough for the first part on UV/Nightmare, until you get some crystal upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Am i the only one kind of annoyed by the story and the humanization of Doom Slayer?
    He....is a demi god-like figure now, he was always human to start. That comment makes no sense man.

People seem to be overthinking the lore of this game.

You slayer, you shoot, things go boom. Stop trying to make it something it's not

Just fought my first marauder and thank god I'm not playing on a higher difficulty can't imagine fighting these guys on nightmare or higher. They are absolutely no fun to fight and ate through all my extra lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Just fought my first marauder and thank god I'm not playing on a higher difficulty can't imagine fighting these guys on nightmare or higher. They are absolutely no fun to fight and ate through all my extra lives.
    Yeah. My first playthrough was on Hurt Me Plenty (normal), and I think most of my deaths were because of them. Archviles, Tyrants or Doom Hunters? Give me 10 of each, just not any Marauders. :S
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post

You slayer, you shoot, things go boom. Stop trying to make it something it's not
    Blame idsoftware.. If there's lore, people will overthink it

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Yeah. My first playthrough was on Hurt Me Plenty (normal), and I think most of my deaths were because of them. Archviles, Tyrants or Doom Hunters? Give me 10 of each, just not any Marauders. :S
    Yeah the only secret encounter I couldn't do was that one in the soul factory IIRC that spawned one.

I guess you didnt read any of the lore text then. As was said earlier, that only goes so far.

Last boss was pretty easy, didn't die at all. Died more times to mauraders :-/

10+ Year Old Account
    I think my biggest issue with Doom Eternal is that it really just feels like...it's aware of itself. Really hate when games do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I think my biggest issue with Doom Eternal is that it really just feels like...it's aware of itself. Really hate when games do that.
    Hmmmm? What do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    They are incredibly easy. Difficulty doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Honestly, that first encounter was probably awful because they stuck you in such a small room. It's definitely easier when you have room to run.

but there is lore to the game that goes beyond "you slayer, you shoot, things go boom". we aren't trying to make the game something it isn't, we are trying to make sense of the lore that was put into the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    i started out on ultra violence but ended up turning it to hurt me plenty because of the massive difficulty spikes. i'm glad i never had to fight a marauder on ultra-violence. i might've quit the game from frustration. marauders just aren't fun to fight.

Ended it after 15 or so hours in ultraviolence, only suffered a bit on those first levels where you are almost naked and trying to figure the "bloat" of buttons they added with the grenades,flamethrower, chainsaw and the change weapon modification. My main source of deaths was the stupid awful and worthless abuse of platforming this game made. That literally destroyed some of the game experience, dont get me wrong somr platforming is ok, needed and welcome but they totally abused of it period.

Man, the cultist base master level really fucked my ass raw. It's been a long time since a game threw as much as shit at me as that last arena.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    Ended it after 15 or so hours in ultraviolence, only suffered a bit on those first levels where you are almost naked and trying to figure the "bloat" of buttons they added with the grenades,flamethrower, chainsaw and the change weapon modification. My main source of deaths was the stupid awful and worthless abuse of platforming this game made. That literally destroyed some of the game experience, dont get me wrong somr platforming is ok, needed and welcome but they totally abused of it period.
    Same here, died more to pitfalls than to demons. Timing on some platforms is weird even with double dash. Tho that mario spining ball of fire was a nice touch.

I kinda gave up at switching weapon mods and just went with best options. Had to keybind all the cooldowns to mouse buttons (frost grenate, chainsaw, punch, flamethrower) as you realy dont have the time to press buttons on other side of keyboard when holding WSAD).

Seek and Destroy and Blood Fueled + Air Control are kinda must runes. Chrono Strike is kinda cheat tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    You're probably playing on an easy setting then, cause they are a pain in the ass at higher difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Man, the cultist base master level really fucked my ass raw. It's been a long time since a game threw as much as shit at me as that last arena.
    I temporarily gave up on it as well. I thought the Slayer Gates and final mission were ridiculous with spawns, but the Master Levels reminded of those DOOM mods that just fucking filled rooms with deadly stuff. Gonna try the Arc Complex one, it was my favorite campaign level, and has the best music, so maybe that will encourage me to push forward.

Not that I mind the difficulty, the entire point of Master Levels is to crush your balls and leave you wanting more.