Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ...
16
24
25
26
27
28
... LastLast
  1. #501
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I've finished it yesterday, and don't get me wrong, I mean the I loved it, but isn't there more platforming than actual rip and tear'ing?
    The platforming kind of kills/interrupts the immersion for me, especially when I'm looking at the awesome scenery... then there's a yellow pole or obvious colored areas that are meant to say "Hey, jump here!" While DOOM 2016 had similar markings for its platforming parts, but it usually blended in due to the actual textures and environment for the most part (at least it made sense versus pristine yellow pole sticking out of a concrete pillar that's crumbling and dirty).

    Also... I still can't get used to the UI and coloring scheme. I'll have to see if I can change it in Eternal, but the UI setup and color scheme in DOOM 2016 felt way more organic and easier to navigate. If I hadn't of played the previous game, I'd be so lost when it comes to navigating the UI as it still keeps some basic elements of it. Most of all, I have issues seeing the color scheme of the menus, it's almost made out to be a nighttime color scheme (aka, a setup you're supposed to read at night).

    On the plus side, the combat difficulty and fluidity is very nice, and the performance of the game has been awesome even though my rig is nearly 12 years old (was top-of-the-line at the time). Nearly instant loading screens and no drops in FPS at any point, game is optimized like crazy (as was DOOM 2016). "Low Ammo" is becoming a meme at this point... and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I suppose the chainsaw having one baseline use that recharges over time makes it slightly better, but it's one of those things where I wish we had more choice in how we approach combat scenarios. I know they were trying to avoid people just using the Super Shotgun or Rocket Launcher the entire run... but I love the Super Shotgun as its combat play is soooo fun that I wish I could just blow up the entire map using it. Suppose there's cheat codes for replay, I just wish there was a little more leniency in this default from the start or saved for the hardest difficulty (which would be very in line with the original DOOM games, as the ammo was very limited on the highest difficulty).
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #502
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Pretty much everything in the game has a reason to be here,except maybe for extra lives which are half baked and just...weird
    They are there mostly for the Extra lives mode. I guess they are in standard so you know where tehy are.

  3. #503
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    The platforming kind of kills/interrupts the immersion for me, especially when I'm looking at the awesome scenery... then there's a yellow pole or obvious colored areas that are meant to say "Hey, jump here!" While DOOM 2016 had similar markings for its platforming parts, but it usually blended in due to the actual textures and environment for the most part (at least it made sense versus pristine yellow pole sticking out of a concrete pillar that's crumbling and dirty).

    Also... I still can't get used to the UI and coloring scheme. I'll have to see if I can change it in Eternal, but the UI setup and color scheme in DOOM 2016 felt way more organic and easier to navigate. If I hadn't of played the previous game, I'd be so lost when it comes to navigating the UI as it still keeps some basic elements of it. Most of all, I have issues seeing the color scheme of the menus, it's almost made out to be a nighttime color scheme (aka, a setup you're supposed to read at night).

    On the plus side, the combat difficulty and fluidity is very nice, and the performance of the game has been awesome even though my rig is nearly 12 years old (was top-of-the-line at the time). Nearly instant loading screens and no drops in FPS at any point, game is optimized like crazy (as was DOOM 2016). "Low Ammo" is becoming a meme at this point... and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I suppose the chainsaw having one baseline use that recharges over time makes it slightly better, but it's one of those things where I wish we had more choice in how we approach combat scenarios. I know they were trying to avoid people just using the Super Shotgun or Rocket Launcher the entire run... but I love the Super Shotgun as its combat play is soooo fun that I wish I could just blow up the entire map using it. Suppose there's cheat codes for replay, I just wish there was a little more leniency in this default from the start or saved for the hardest difficulty (which would be very in line with the original DOOM games, as the ammo was very limited on the highest difficulty).
    I used the super shotty a lot, more than in 2016 where I was a heavy Gauss Gun fan. It's the most ammo-efficient weapon of your arsenal, and the meathook negates many of its weaknesses by 1) allowing you to quickly close in to faraway/agile enemies and 2) dropping Armor so you can feasibly use it even against enemies that are dangerous up close. I loved dancing around Barons, alternating a normal shot with a fiery hook to avoid their strikes.

    The rocket launcher is the one I used the least. I think the heavy self-damage and slow projectiles are just too crippling, especially since so many crucial abilities (chainsaw, glory kills, blood punch, even ice grenades) either encourage or require close range. I only ever used its lock-on mode to oneshot the second phase of Doom Hunters after blood punching the snot out of his sled.

    As for cheat codes, I am so running an endgame level with permanent Berserk up at some point. Think there's only one instance of that powerup in the entire game which is such a waste considering it is so fun.

  4. #504
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    More like Hardcore fans incapable of accepting any criticism. The game is awesome but the Marauders aren't fun and do in fact make the game worse just by existing. There is a serious problem with a lack of ammo, why would anyone prefer constantly spamming the chainsaw instead of just having more ammo by default? The platforming segments are unnecessarily overcomplicated (which is the general theme of the game) and completely kill the pacing, I don't mind platforming but did we really need to do all this clinging to walls and swinging from poles nonsense?

    Doom Eternal is awesome but it is a textbook example of Devs trying to add things just for the sake of adding things instead of keeping things simple which was the whole reason people loved Doom 2016 in the first place.
    Just save your big guns for the demons that give you an issue. You can spurt a little bit of ammo on the small demons so you can punch them for more hp and ammo.

    Platforming. What can I say. It's the most basic thing I've seen. It can hardly compare to that of a platforming game. You magnetically snap to stuff you can grab onto/boost off of.

    Conserving your ammo has always been a big part of doom. You get punished hard for running all out, despite there being a handful of ways to replenish. If you're all out, it's simply your fault. That's how the series has always worked.

    Simply put, just don't buy games because there was big hype surrounding it. Purchase games that are of your own genuine interest. Stop letting others speak for your wallet.

  5. #505
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I don't mind platforming but did we really need to do all this clinging to walls and swinging from poles nonsense
    I didnt mind the monkey bars, if it was the only addition it would have been fine, the wall latching was kinda unnecessary.

  6. #506
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    I didnt mind the monkey bars, if it was the only addition it would have been fine, the wall latching was kinda unnecessary.
    I think the issue comes down to why is it even there to begin with. While there was platforming in DOOM 2016, not only was it visually less distracting, but also it was way more organic. Whenever there was extensive platforming, it made sense in the context of what you were doing. Eternal's use of platforming is just to the point it's added for the sake of adding platforming. If you want my opinion about how they could've kept the platforming and made it way more organic: get rid of the visually awful bars and walls that stand out to jump on and allow wall-jumping or make grappling not just a shotgun trick. It's kind of along the lines of the tutorials, where parts of this were dumbed down compared to its predecessor. Instead of hand-holding, let the player explore and mess around to figure things out versus spelling things out. The game does feel like it has more of a committee feel to it, or a top-down approach to design as I don't think many of the changes from DOOM 2016 were wise or thought out well. Eternal is still a good game, overall I just don't think it's as good as DOOM 2016.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #507
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    They are there mostly for the Extra lives mode. I guess they are in standard so you know where tehy are.
    that's a fair point

  8. #508
    I actually like the extra live system. This is a hard game and it's easy to die by just getting stuck on something. The only problem is that if you game over the lives are just gone which makes them a lot less useful in the long term.

  9. #509
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I think the issue comes down to why is it even there to begin with. While there was platforming in DOOM 2016, not only was it visually less distracting, but also it was way more organic.
    I honestly didnt see the bars most of the time as I was more focused on the monster positioning, if it hit one in combat it was usually a happy accident.

  10. #510
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I actually like the extra live system. This is a hard game and it's easy to die by just getting stuck on something. The only problem is that if you game over the lives are just gone which makes them a lot less useful in the long term.
    In my experience they worked detrimental to the game; you don't die very often in Doom Eternal which means you'll stack up a fair bit of lives which in turn makes bosses that were supposed to be hard(er) a walk in the park.

    I have to admit the game is starting to be a bit more entertaing now that my only goal is finding the secrets I missed the first time.
    "Just flow with the go..." - Rickson Gracie

  11. #511
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    I didnt mind the monkey bars, if it was the only addition it would have been fine, the wall latching was kinda unnecessary.
    It's surprisingly poorly animated as well. All of the game's other animations, be they cutscenes, weapons-related, or glory kills/chainsaw/Crucible, are superbly well done. The wall climbing is janky as hell and has clipping issues not present anywhere else. As if it was originally much slower and they sped the animation up 2x or 3x not to bore the player.

    Replaying it on Nightmare after beating both Master Levels, I gotta say this game's level and visual design only gets better as I experience it again. Hell on Earth is a great opener, Exultia perfectly complements its new-to-the-franchise visuals with a host of new gameplay features, and ARC Complex is possibly one of the greatest levels in any FPS I've ever played, easily the rival of the greats of 2016 that were Advanced Research Complex and Lazarus Labs. It's just nonstop rip and tearing action with a killer ass soundtrack even by the game's lofty standards.

    But oh me oh my on Nightmare even the first few Arachnotrons are a pain in the butt when you're so used to being able to blow them to smithereens with the Ballista or meathook + blood punch them later in the game.

  12. #512
    I find it a bit “meh” that to platinum/1000 point the game the battle mode is blocked behind a paywall, didn’t have to do that with doom 2016 :/

  13. #513
    Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    I find it a bit “meh” that to platinum/1000 point the game the battle mode is blocked behind a paywall, didn’t have to do that with doom 2016 :/
    What paywall is that?

  14. #514
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    What paywall is that?
    No clue what they're talking about, the only thing "extra" that you can pay for is the year pass and that's entirely unannounced content.

  15. #515
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    No clue what they're talking about, the only thing "extra" that you can pay for is the year pass and that's entirely unannounced content.
    My best is guess is that you need to pay a sub on consoles to earn the Battlemode achievements? But that's an issue with consoles, not the game itself. And 2016 also has multiplayer-exclusive achievements, on Steam at least.

  16. #516
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    My best is guess is that you need to pay a sub on consoles to earn the Battlemode achievements? But that's an issue with consoles, not the game itself. And 2016 also has multiplayer-exclusive achievements, on Steam at least.
    I guess, but like you said that's not a DOOM issue, that's a console issue

  17. #517
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Is there any form of multiplayer(co-op similar to bl3 or pvp)?
    Yeah, its actually free. https://store.steampowered.com/app/6...ake_Champions/

  18. #518
    I need to play a FPS game....Maybe I should just try borderlands or something...Im to busy with wow, but something in me wants to try a FPS game. How bad is doom for a player that sucks at FPS games? I played a bit of PUBG but I just suck at it. Quake 2 is like the last FPS game I played...15-20 years ago or what do I know.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO
    NZXT H440 - Asus Z97 A Mobo - Corsair RM 850 - Intel I5 4590 CPU - Evo TX3 Cooler Master - Asus 970 Strix - 250GB SSD 850 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Windows 10

  19. #519
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    27,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Ok, is punching supposed to deal no damage, and only be used for glory kills? Because i saw regular possesed take 10 punches in the face and still stand.
    The basic punch in Doom Eternal was nerfed pretty hard, it's basically useless except with the Blood Punch upgrade (which is itself very useful).
    "Here lies a toppled god.
    His fall was not a small one.
    We did but build his pedestal,
    A narrow and a tall one."

  20. #520
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I need to play a FPS game....Maybe I should just try borderlands or something...Im to busy with wow, but something in me wants to try a FPS game. How bad is doom for a player that sucks at FPS games? I played a bit of PUBG but I just suck at it. Quake 2 is like the last FPS game I played...15-20 years ago or what do I know.
    IT has good range of difficulty and personally I think it's a good FPS to get better at FPS games in general due to how everything promotes thinking on your feet for the current situation and the better you get the more smooth and great the combat feels. You instantly know when you are on the right track in becoming better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •