Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Potayto potahto - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Media

It's a holding company formed by Bethesda for their various studios. It's still functionally Bethesda in all but the name.
    It's not the "Todd Howard" horrible Bethesda though, that's why saying it's "still a bethesda game" is kind of silly. Zenimax as a whole has had a much better recent history then Bethesda the studio

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    Mick doing the soundtrack on this one also?
    Him and his monstrous synth array, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ostensibly, yes. But id is wholly owned by Bethesda, so if they want to shit it up like they did with FO76 they can. I don't think they will, and by all accounts it's sure not looking that way, but this is still a Bethesda game at the end of the day.
    Owned by Bethesda Softworks not Bethesda Game Studios which is mostly responsible for the FO76 trash, bad PR and all its craptastic microtransactions.

That doesn't mean there won't be mtx in Doom Eternal however, but for the most part we can expect a polished and optimized game.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2020-01-14 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Owned by Bethesda Softworks not Bethesda Game Studios which is mostly responsible for the FO76 trash, bad PR and all its craptastic microtransactions.
    And is owned by the same company, meaning that they could very well start shitting up Doom if they wanted to.

Again, I don't think it's going to happen and I think they're going to continue to let the id team more or less operate independently. But it's still a real possibility, even if it's unlikely right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Him and his monstrous synth array, yes.
    It will be so weird to play FPS that doesn't have music by daddy Hulshult.

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a lot of unanswered questions that will hopefully be answered once the game is actually out. Spoiler tags because I can't assume everyone in this thread has played Doom 2016 and these questions pertain directly to the ending of that game.

1. Where did Samuel Hayden send us at the end of the last game?
    2. How did Doomguy get out of said place?
    3. How did the demons find Earth if we closed The Well? Did they find an Argent Fracture on Earth or, based on my theories, did the UAC develop more than one Argent Energy production site in secret? Dr. Hayden seemed desperate and I'd imagine he was willing to try to find another source.
    The thing that is bothering me is that they haven't said how long after Doom 2016 this takes place. Hopefully the game itself clears that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    It will be so weird to play FPS that doesn't have music by daddy Hulshult.
    I thought you played Doom (2016). Mick created something really close to perfection.

For those interested, this video gives you great insight into the monster he created so that he could make the Doom soundtrack. Well worth the watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I thought you played Doom (2016). Mick created something really close to perfection.

For those interested, this video gives you great insight into the monster he created so that he could make the Doom soundtrack. Well worth the watch.
    I did, but it was a while. Its just that Amid Evil, Dusk, Prodeus, and Wrath are more recent "retro" shooters and all have music by hulshult. Ion fury was the only one where he wasn't doing it (and Project Warlock i guess).

But yeah, i definately like Mick work. He does have this "umpf" that really suits new iteration of doom.
    Last edited by Arrashi; 2020-01-15 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    The thing that is bothering me is that they haven't said how long after Doom 2016 this takes place. Hopefully the game itself clears that up.
    According to https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_Reboot_timeline, Doom 2016 events happen in 2149, and the Doom Eternal trailer sets its beginning in 2151.

I'm expecting all your interrogations to be cleared in the introduction of DE

Let the hype begin. Preview makes it sound like Doom Eternal is an improvement in every way from where Doom 2016 left off.

10+ Year Old Account
    The embargo has been lifted. There are tons of gameplay footage and previews available. Can't contain the hype!!!!

And because people like this franchise, I'm sure it will be spared the worst of the anti-crunch criticism. But the reports that id spent most of last year crunching sure aren't great. I'm sure the game will be fantastic, and early reviews are confirming that, but I'm not a fan of requiring/asking for crunch, especially longterm like what apparently happened with Doom Eternal.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather the game get plenty of polish than be released as a buggy mess like so many other games these days. And with the multiplayer being a core aspect of the game, it's nice that it's coming with the game at release rather than being patched in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exciting stuff! Just started another play through last night in anticipation

Very very hyped to get to rip and tear again. Hope it have the same optimization again last one ran amazing.
    Do you hear the voices too?

And because people like this franchise, I'm sure it will be spared the worst of the anti-crunch criticism. But the reports that id spent most of last year crunching sure aren't great. I'm sure the game will be fantastic, and early reviews are confirming that, but I'm not a fan of requiring/asking for crunch, especially longterm like what apparently happened with Doom Eternal.
    People were quite attached to Telltale too - They were still, rightly, called out over their crunch practices. I don't consider the end products to be any form of justification for awful working conditions. Though admitedly it didn't fully come to light until Telltale were forced to shut down.

ID Soft aren't the only ones at it. The "Krunch" for MK 11 was apparently horiffic, and the research content was supposedly that graphic and gruesome that several of the designers suffered PTSD. Epic have been doing it, Rockstar have been doing it. Everyone's been doing it. It's sadly becoming the industry standard - Despite the enormous negative effects it has on the employees doing it.

I think we're way beyond the point where any of this can really be justified. Crunch causes a huge range of mental and physical health concerns for employees. No video game is worth that.

It is something the games industry needs to fix. As I understand it, many of the issues are tied up in labour laws and worker rights. I've been led to believe that in some US states you can be fired "At will" for any reason your employer likes. Refusing to work 100 hour weeks would probably be enough to put you squarely on the chopping block, especially since there a thousands of other talented people all looking to get a foot in the door in the wider gaming industry. On the other hand, the idea of a Union, to push for worker protections and rights, is something that Americans in particular seem to reject. As someone who lives in the UK I really have zero say in another countries law making decisions.

As a consumer I also feel powerless to prevent it from happening. The only real option is to not buy the game in protest, which is fine if large numbers of people follow suit, but almost totally ineffective if it's only a handful of sales it costs. Generally all the really awful crunch stories come out after the game is released too, making planning an organised boycott difficult to gather widespread support for.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The added delay wasn't because the game wasn't finished. The Invasion mode needed polish and improvements because it didn't run optimally. I fail to see how "crunch time" has any relevance to fixing a game so that it isn't broken or laggy as hell at release.

Oh shoot it got delayed? was looking forward to play it so much.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caperfin View Post
    Oh shoot it got delayed? was looking forward to play it so much.
    It comes out in March, there was already one delay on it and it was supposed to come out late last year. It got pushed into March of this year to polish the Invasion multiplayer component of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I think we're way beyond the point where any of this can really be justified. Crunch causes a huge range of mental and physical health concerns for employees. No video game is worth that.

It is something the games industry needs to fix. As I understand it, many of the issues are tied up in labour laws and worker rights. I've been led to believe that in some US states you can be fired "At will" for any reason your employer likes. Refusing to work 100 hour weeks would probably be enough to put you squarely on the chopping block, especially since there a thousands of other talented people all looking to get a foot in the door in the wider gaming industry. On the other hand, the idea of a Union, to push for worker protections and rights, is something that Americans in particular seem to reject. As someone who lives in the UK I really have zero say in another countries law making decisions.
    It's not just "some states", the entire Country is at will, you can be fired for any reason, or no reason, unless it falls under specific guidelines of discrimination based off sex, gender, sexual orientation, creed, race, etc.

Contracted workers in the US are extremely rare. But it's not just the US that crunch has been brought up in, other countries have such problems as well.

Granted, I don't think boycotting is the correct response either, that just leads to the opposite of too much work for the workers... it leads to too little work because they get canned.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2020-01-26 at 04:28 AM.