Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Why the hell are the demons all trying to kill each other all throughout the game?.

Edit 2: Kinda massive story spoiler. I did a bit of googling, and i can't be the only one that realizes that Samur, the hooded figure that led Doomguy into the machine that made him the Slayer, is Samuel Hayden, right? Because it is mentioned absolutely nowhere.
    In-fighting was a staple of 1 and 2, use it to thin the ranks.

I'm pretty sure you're correct on Hayden being the Seraphim, the voice is the same (not necessarily proof in of itself) but the maykers are are high tech race, the name is similar, maybe he told the real Hayden how to make the mech, but it's actually the Seraphim in it pretending to be Samuel still. He knows way too much about maykr tech for it to be a coincidence. Coupled w/ the fact that Vega was the Father that disappeared when the Seraphim did.

And I just found out the collectable toys are basically a model viewer for the demons, give you a nice up close to see the detail on things you usually leave as a red paste.
    Last edited by Aquinan; 2020-03-22 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really suck at this game...everything is just one chaotic mess...i constantly have to manage ammo, flame and chainsaw then you have random enemiees spawning everywhere , constantly switching weapons to get to the demons weakness all while running around like a headless chicken hoping there's some health or armour nearby and that a random demon doesn't trap you against a wall... only on super gore nest atm (the first buff totem), can imagine it's just going to get worse from here...

Well,

1) It's clearly the same voice actor. Really listen to his voice, in the end when he says "Now, they will fear you" his tone shifts and he sounds a lot more like Hayden.

2) I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if Hayden lies out of his ass when he says that he used to be human.

3) Vega is the father, the origin/god figure of the maykrs, and how else would he have stolen him?

4) Samur, Samuel, it's not that much of a stretch.
    On top of that, VEGA tells you that Hayden is easily able to integrate with the Fortress of Doom because his robot body's neural interface (made by him, per 2016) is of the same design as the Makyr technology powering the station. On top of Hayden seemingly knowing just way too much about Hell/the Sentinels/the Makyrs for some human scientist, and I truly wouldn't be surprised if Samuel was the hooded figure all along, or got replaced by him.

The one crack in this theory was Samuel being highly enthusiastic about Argent energy. Feels like someone who betrayed the Kahn Makyr should be wary of it/know where it comes from.

Anyway, did some more Battlemode after finishing the game (more thoughts later, TLDR fucking loved it), and the worst imbalance IMO is between the demons. Mancubus and Pain Elemental are slow, have huge hitboxes and just don't do that much damage outside of their comfort zone. Meanwhile the Revenant and Marauder are fairly fast, with smaller hitboxes and do more damage while being reasonably tough. The best way for the demons to win is to pressure the Slayer and then deny him resources via loot block, and these two are just wayyyyy better at it than the rest of the roster. Haven't played or run into an Arch-Vile yet, but his tiny HP pool means he's either really good or becomes Ballista fodder in five seconds flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post

The one crack in this theory was Samuel being highly enthusiastic about Argent energy. Feels like someone who betrayed the Kahn Makyr should be wary of it/know where it comes from.
    i'm thinking when he was human/early robot it was still "samuel" and at some point was taken over by the Seraphim. That or it was all a long game played by him to bring about that prophecy of the slayer vs icon of sin / tear down the maykers for whatever reason. If you read the lore theres that bit about a new Kahn being made every 10k years, but since the father/seraphim disappeared they cant do it. Maybe he realises the corruption/realiance on argent has gone to far and they have to end?

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    You need to treat fodder as loot sponges and basically farm them forever.
    "low ammo" - Doom Eternal in a nut shell ^^
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    "low ammo" - Doom Eternal in a nut shell ^^
    I dunno how anyone manages to run out of ammo past the Doom Hunter boss fight. Then game starts throwing pickups and chainsaw fodder at you.

Just finished the game, a lot more enjoyable than Doom 2016. The combat is so fast, I love it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from being slightly salty that you spoiled the code, i didn't find a single rabbit, i didn't even know they existed. And yeah, picking the left option on the pc also just crashes my game.
    Oh. Sorry about that. The code is an obscure reference, and is never mentioned or hinted anywhere in the game itself. It's from the doom novels.

I guess I'll fix it with spoiler tags.
    Last edited by Santti; 2020-03-22 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    I just finished the campaign after 23 hours on Nightmare. The game was okay I guess, nothing extraordinary. The gameplay is pretty repetitive and the lore is pretty unimpressive. Not that anyone plays Doom for lore.

Biggest downsides for me in this game are the constant platforms, puzzles and collectibles it throws at you. Also, ammo is pretty different from previous games. You need to treat fodder as loot sponges and basically farm them forever.
    On top of this, the game is extremely console-ish. Invisible walls everywhere, even on places which look accessible.

Then all of a sudden you encounter the Marauder - a dude that looks like Shao Kahn with an impervious shield where you basically have to counterattack or do no damage. Welcome to Dark Souls.

All in all an okay and playable game. Doom 2016 is better in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I died there 5 times or so on Nightmare - then I was accidentally knocked down the way you came from. Turns out that alleviated much pressure as any new spawn had to run there. Beat it immediately when that happened.
    Yeah...console movement kinda ruined it for me. Its just doesnt fell right. Character just fells way to slow for doom game (should be mobile as in Quake).

Previous game had a much better mobility. This game i fell like a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

Previous game had a much better mobility. This game i fell like a brick.
    Your more mobile w/ the monkey bars and the dash, what are you talking about? I think the run speed is similar as well is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Oh. Sorry about that. The code is an obscure reference, and is never mentioned or hinted anywhere in the game itself. It's from the doom novels.

I guess I'll fix it with spoiler tags.
    No worries then, i thought it might be something you could find ingame if you're looking close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Your more mobile w/ the monkey bars and the dash, what are you talking about? I think the run speed is similar as well is it not?
    I think base movement is slightly slower than in 2016, but the dash, occasional monkey bars and meathook more than compensate for that.

Am i the only one kind of annoyed by the story and the humanization of Doom Slayer?

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Am i the only one kind of annoyed by the story and the humanization of Doom Slayer?
    I find humanization to be a big word. Guy decided to battle Hell for decades (centuries?) and the worst that happened to him was being a bit off his rocker and obsessed with demon genocide. After his Sentinel training and empowerment he became the silent asskicker who gives no shit about anyone we know and love. If anything the before-after contrast works well if you ask me.

But I get that some would have preferred him to always be silent and unaffected by the horrors around him.

I find humanization to be a big word. Guy decided to battle Hell for decades (centuries?) and the worst that happened to him was being a bit off his rocker and obsessed with demon genocide. After his Sentinel training and empowerment he became the silent asskicker who gives no shit about anyone we know and love. If anything the before-after contrast works well if you ask me.

But I get that some would have preferred him to always be silent and unaffected by the horrors around him.
    To me this whole Lore added was unnecesary, OG doom didnt need, neither did 2

I get that even if I disagree. IMO "silent dude in green armor kills demons because fuck demons" can only carry you so far.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's the whole point, they are trying to expand the scope of the story so that the series isn't just a kill em all shitshow with no substance.

I get that even if I disagree. IMO "silent dude in green armor kills demons because fuck demons" can only carry you so far.
    Agree, never understood how "not knowing" is preferable or interesting in any story or lore.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I personally like the lore they try to bring into it, but i always like lore. The games are finally all tied together in one semi-cohesive story line, with the exception of 3, which for all intents and purposes is now non-canon in my book. I completely get it if some people don't like his characterization, but i think the story is one of the creative risks they took with this game that really paid off, and i'm excited to see what the dlc will bring. There are definitely things i'd like them to expand upon, both story and gameplay wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Agree, never understood how "not knowing" is preferable or interesting in any story or lore.
    I think there's something to be said about mystery. When well handled, it can create a sense of intrigue and curiosity that draws the player in. Dark Souls is an example of a series that keeps a lot of information up in the air, albeit by the third game overly cryptic NPCs only telling you certain tidbits of information got old if you ask me.

That said, in the case of Doom it's easy to argue the total lack of lore and story in the original game was at least partly a technical limitation issue; games back then just couldn't have expansive stories with cutscenes and dialog and all that. As soon as Id could feasibly start inserting story in Doom, they did so with 3. So long as the lore takes a backseat to gameplay and continues to mostly be about showing the player things instead of endless cutscenes and exposition, I'm totally OK with more of it.

At the heart of Eternal is still the idea of shooting demons because fuck demons. We just get an explanation as to exactly why these demons must be fucked.