Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    More like Hardcore fans incapable of accepting any criticism. The game is awesome but the Marauders aren't fun and do in fact make the game worse just by existing. There is a serious problem with a lack of ammo, why would anyone prefer constantly spamming the chainsaw instead of just having more ammo by default? The platforming segments are unnecessarily overcomplicated (which is the general theme of the game) and completely kill the pacing, I don't mind platforming but did we really need to do all this clinging to walls and swinging from poles nonsense?

Doom Eternal is awesome but it is a textbook example of Devs trying to add things just for the sake of adding things instead of keeping things simple which was the whole reason people loved Doom 2016 in the first place.
    Just save your big guns for the demons that give you an issue. You can spurt a little bit of ammo on the small demons so you can punch them for more hp and ammo.

Platforming. What can I say. It's the most basic thing I've seen. It can hardly compare to that of a platforming game. You magnetically snap to stuff you can grab onto/boost off of.

Conserving your ammo has always been a big part of doom. You get punished hard for running all out, despite there being a handful of ways to replenish. If you're all out, it's simply your fault. That's how the series has always worked.

Simply put, just don't buy games because there was big hype surrounding it. Purchase games that are of your own genuine interest. Stop letting others speak for your wallet.

I don't mind platforming but did we really need to do all this clinging to walls and swinging from poles nonsense
    I didnt mind the monkey bars, if it was the only addition it would have been fine, the wall latching was kinda unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    I didnt mind the monkey bars, if it was the only addition it would have been fine, the wall latching was kinda unnecessary.
    I think the issue comes down to why is it even there to begin with. While there was platforming in DOOM 2016, not only was it visually less distracting, but also it was way more organic. Whenever there was extensive platforming, it made sense in the context of what you were doing. Eternal's use of platforming is just to the point it's added for the sake of adding platforming. If you want my opinion about how they could've kept the platforming and made it way more organic: get rid of the visually awful bars and walls that stand out to jump on and allow wall-jumping or make grappling not just a shotgun trick. It's kind of along the lines of the tutorials, where parts of this were dumbed down compared to its predecessor. Instead of hand-holding, let the player explore and mess around to figure things out versus spelling things out. The game does feel like it has more of a committee feel to it, or a top-down approach to design as I don't think many of the changes from DOOM 2016 were wise or thought out well. Eternal is still a good game, overall I just don't think it's as good as DOOM 2016.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    They are there mostly for the Extra lives mode. I guess they are in standard so you know where tehy are.
    that's a fair point

I actually like the extra live system. This is a hard game and it's easy to die by just getting stuck on something. The only problem is that if you game over the lives are just gone which makes them a lot less useful in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I think the issue comes down to why is it even there to begin with. While there was platforming in DOOM 2016, not only was it visually less distracting, but also it was way more organic.
    I honestly didnt see the bars most of the time as I was more focused on the monster positioning, if it hit one in combat it was usually a happy accident.

I actually like the extra live system. This is a hard game and it's easy to die by just getting stuck on something. The only problem is that if you game over the lives are just gone which makes them a lot less useful in the long term.
    In my experience they worked detrimental to the game; you don't die very often in Doom Eternal which means you'll stack up a fair bit of lives which in turn makes bosses that were supposed to be hard(er) a walk in the park.

I have to admit the game is starting to be a bit more entertaing now that my only goal is finding the secrets I missed the first time.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    It's surprisingly poorly animated as well. All of the game's other animations, be they cutscenes, weapons-related, or glory kills/chainsaw/Crucible, are superbly well done. The wall climbing is janky as hell and has clipping issues not present anywhere else. As if it was originally much slower and they sped the animation up 2x or 3x not to bore the player.

Replaying it on Nightmare after beating both Master Levels, I gotta say this game's level and visual design only gets better as I experience it again. Hell on Earth is a great opener, Exultia perfectly complements its new-to-the-franchise visuals with a host of new gameplay features, and ARC Complex is possibly one of the greatest levels in any FPS I've ever played, easily the rival of the greats of 2016 that were Advanced Research Complex and Lazarus Labs. It's just nonstop rip and tearing action with a killer ass soundtrack even by the game's lofty standards.

But oh me oh my on Nightmare even the first few Arachnotrons are a pain in the butt when you're so used to being able to blow them to smithereens with the Ballista or meathook + blood punch them later in the game.

I find it a bit “meh” that to platinum/1000 point the game the battle mode is blocked behind a paywall, didn’t have to do that with doom 2016 :/

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    I find it a bit “meh” that to platinum/1000 point the game the battle mode is blocked behind a paywall, didn’t have to do that with doom 2016 :/
    What paywall is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    What paywall is that?
    No clue what they're talking about, the only thing "extra" that you can pay for is the year pass and that's entirely unannounced content.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    No clue what they're talking about, the only thing "extra" that you can pay for is the year pass and that's entirely unannounced content.
    My best is guess is that you need to pay a sub on consoles to earn the Battlemode achievements? But that's an issue with consoles, not the game itself. And 2016 also has multiplayer-exclusive achievements, on Steam at least.

My best is guess is that you need to pay a sub on consoles to earn the Battlemode achievements? But that's an issue with consoles, not the game itself. And 2016 also has multiplayer-exclusive achievements, on Steam at least.
    I guess, but like you said that's not a DOOM issue, that's a console issue

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Is there any form of multiplayer(co-op similar to bl3 or pvp)?
    Yeah, its actually free. https://store.steampowered.com/app/6...ake_Champions/

I need to play a FPS game....Maybe I should just try borderlands or something...Im to busy with wow, but something in me wants to try a FPS game. How bad is doom for a player that sucks at FPS games? I played a bit of PUBG but I just suck at it. Quake 2 is like the last FPS game I played...15-20 years ago or what do I know.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Ok, is punching supposed to deal no damage, and only be used for glory kills? Because i saw regular possesed take 10 punches in the face and still stand.
    The basic punch in Doom Eternal was nerfed pretty hard, it's basically useless except with the Blood Punch upgrade (which is itself very useful).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I need to play a FPS game....Maybe I should just try borderlands or something...Im to busy with wow, but something in me wants to try a FPS game. How bad is doom for a player that sucks at FPS games? I played a bit of PUBG but I just suck at it. Quake 2 is like the last FPS game I played...15-20 years ago or what do I know.
    IT has good range of difficulty and personally I think it's a good FPS to get better at FPS games in general due to how everything promotes thinking on your feet for the current situation and the better you get the more smooth and great the combat feels. You instantly know when you are on the right track in becoming better.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    IT has good range of difficulty and personally I think it's a good FPS to get better at FPS games in general due to how everything promotes thinking on your feet for the current situation and the better you get the more smooth and great the combat feels. You instantly know when you are on the right track in becoming better.
    Thanks. Just feel like I miss out if I never try just 1 FPS games...Joe rogan podcast also influencing me Im sure lol. Anyway, it looks fast phased, so it scared me a bit...Its fun how gamers can be good at something and suck at others...I can play AOE2 (RTS) pretty good, and ofc wow and Diablo 3 like games etc.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I think the easiest difficulty in Eternal is doable for most anyone... at least until the Marauder. It's an enemy that will wreck your face even there if you don't have good timing. If you get easily frustrated in FPS games then he might make things unfun for you.

Personally I'd suggest checking out the 2016 Doom game. It's generally easier and there are fewer combat features and things to keep track of. On Steam you can get it for 20 dollars which is a steal. If you like that, then Eternal is the logical next step. And even on easy difficulties both games are very, very good at making you feel like a total badass.

I think the easiest difficulty in Eternal is doable for most anyone... at least until the Marauder. It's an enemy that will wreck your face even there if you don't have good timing. If you get easily frustrated in FPS games then he might make things unfun for you.

Personally I'd suggest checking out the 2016 Doom game. It's generally easier and there are fewer combat features and things to keep track of. On Steam you can get it for 20 dollars which is a steal. If you like that, then Eternal is the logical next step. And even on easy difficulties both games are very, very good at making you feel like a total badass.
    Yeah,while the Marauder is a 5-10 seconds kill for anyone who's decent at the game,if you're new to this kind of game or aren't too good when it comes to timing,he can really cause problems