Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    The game is definitely not needlessly complicated.It's the exact kind of complication Doomers and Quake fans wanted.If you don't want complicated stuff in your shooters,you're not the target audience for Id Software's games
    I suspect there are a fair amount of people who are not Quake fans that enjoyed Doom 2016 and don't like the more arcade feel of Eternal.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I suspect there are a fair amount of people who are not Quake fans that enjoyed Doom 2016 and don't like the more arcade feel of Eternal.
    Then the game is not for them, i dont feel it arcade if something it feels more doom than doom 2016, and even more after the second doom gate and later levels when the game start throwing at you everything but the kitchen sink

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Honestly everyone knows what the worst enemy really is - its purple goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Yeah that's one thing I really can't defend,it adds nothing good to the game

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The "arcade" and colourful nature of the game is there for a very good reason
    The game is meant to be played at maximum speed and verticality,and can be extremely punishing at higher skill levels,that means you need to be able to identify everything at a single glance.

Thanks to the colour scheme they chose,you can do that.
    If you look somewhere and see a colour,you know exactly what you're looking at

-Light blue is health
    -Light green is armour
    -Red is shotgun shells
    -Dark green is bullets
    -Purple is plasma ammo
    -Orange is rockets.

You also have obvious medikits that do exactly what you think they do.

Now that the core gameplay has such a colourful and arcady theme,it would be jarring to have everything else out of combat be realistic,and since combat is by far the most important part of the game,you want to adapt the rest of the game to it and not the other way around

Also, the tentacles which only exist to surprise smack you and waste your ammo.

I didn't particularly enjoy the more humourous and arcade approach. A few good lines that made me laugh, but I think they took the memes and jokes made from 2016 and built the game off that. I'm expecting Animal Crossing to show up in the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    Then the game is not for them, i dont feel it arcade if something it feels more doom than doom 2016, and even more after the second doom gate and later levels when the game start throwing at you everything but the kitchen sink
    And I hope you can understand that there is an entire generation of gamers that never played the original Doom (or Quake) who enjoyed Doom 2016 and complain that the sequel moved away from what they enjoyed.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

7+ Year Old Account
    Its not only the worst enemy, its also the most wierdest xD Like, who would have thought, that high speed DOOM would have an element in the game, that forced you to walk for long periods of time xD
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

recently finished on ultra violence and started a campaign on nightmare.
    for me its the best fps since half life. without a doubt.

after finishing on UV i went back and tried playing doom 2016. its acutally unplayable for me now
    eternal has improved on every aspect.

regarding the marauder: i personally enjoyed the encounters. in a game that is mostly about projectile avoidance and crowd control, some 1v1 fights mixed in there are a nice interruption for me.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you don't want complicated stuff in your shooters,you're not the target audience for Id Software's games
    That is wierd, cause i for example loved DOOM 2016, which is an Id Software game and it was not complicated at all. Seems like you don't know what games Id Software have made apperantly.

But on a more serious note, DOOM Eternal is really a bit too overcomplicated. Like come on, you have 5 buttons for extra stuff outside of shooting.... 5!! And they all have a CD you gotta watch! Most games have 2 or 3, but going to 5 is a bit too much. Like, for most of my playthrough, i avoided using granades, because they were just too much to use. They were not crucial, so they just went unused, since i had already enough CDs to keep my eyes on.

For me, it would have been enough if they had added the sword or flame thrower, but adding both, plus having the melee be a build up is just over encumbering.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I got kinda worried reading some of the negativity and online reviews about this game but damn is it fun as hell..

I find the monkeying around from place to place, flame throwering, chainsawing for resources extremely satisfying when you chain a bunch of life saving actions in a pinch.. I also don't think remembering and utilizing all the skills available is complicated but to each their own I guess
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

Thank's for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    But on a more serious note, DOOM Eternal is really a bit too overcomplicated. Like come on, you have 5 buttons for extra stuff outside of shooting.... 5!! And they all have a CD you gotta watch! Most games have 2 or 3, but going to 5 is a bit too much. Like, for most of my playthrough, i avoided using granades, because they were just too much to use. They were not crucial, so they just went unused, since i had already enough CDs to keep my eyes on.

For me, it would have been enough if they had added the sword or flame thrower, but adding both, plus having the melee be a build up is just over encumbering.
    Kind of dovetails with my feeling that the game took some elements further than they needed to go, as sometimes less is more.

Only equipment ability that I notice (even though I don't think it counts as equipment) is the chain saw refilling, because it makes a pretty unique sound... which I can sometimes hear in the middle of the carnage if I'm kiting. Perhaps I tend to notice audio cues WAY more readily than visual ones, but even the visual ones for the grenades/chainsaw/runes/punch/sword are so tiny and/or unassuming, and I'm not even if sure if all of them have an audio warning. If you're in the thick of battle (especially on harder difficulties), looking away to glance at the status of your equipment can literally kill you or put you in a precarious situation (I tend to use the slow time rune then check). Low ammo warning is pretty tell-tale with an audio and visual cue that's hard to miss, same with the dash recharge sound... but everything else is pretty lacking.

In general it feels like they had a committee sit down, gather up all the cool things they could think of, then just threw them all into the game and tried to make it work. Call me crazy, the only clear improvements over DOOM 2016 in terms of equipment that I liked in Eternal are the recharging single use of the chainsaw (kind of has to be there with how ammo is balanced), the freeze grenade, and the ability to dash if we're counting that. I get the lore reason for the sword, but I'm not a fan of how it's implemented. The punch is a hard pass compared to DOOM 2016 version, especially in its base state... in fact, I'd rather the sword have this game's punch system, building up power as you glory kill stuff, and they left the punch like in DOOM 2016. With how things are balanced, I'd assume the sword was implemented as is because of how the chainsaw gets almost exclusively used on minions for ammo, so they needed two weapons to solve a problem created by their ammo system getting changed . You can get enough gas to mow down some larger enemies occasionally, but more often than not I found myself at 2 or less fuel because I needed ammo before going into a fight.

Also, I think the armor crystal system (forget its exact name) is going a bit too far. Upgrading HP/armor/ammo is fine, but the shoe-horned abilities you get should be in the praetor armor system... especially with how some of them are really dumb and pointless *cough* map/exploration section *cough*. It's another area where I swear they had a bunch of progression system ideas, and threw them all together, and I personally feel it came out worse than DOOM 2016.

Don't get me wrong, still a fun game, I just think Eternal does some things better than DOOM 2016 while also doing some things worse and being a slight net negative compared to its predecessor.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2020-04-03 at 10:54 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Finished it, liked it.. last boss fight was a letdown.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Kind of dovetails with my feeling that the game took some elements further than they needed to go, as sometimes less is more.

Only equipment ability that I notice (even though I don't think it counts as equipment) is the chain saw refilling, because it makes a pretty unique sound... which I can sometimes hear in the middle of the carnage if I'm kiting. Perhaps I tend to notice audio cues WAY more readily than visual ones, but even the visual ones for the grenades/chainsaw/runes/punch/sword are so tiny and/or unassuming, and I'm not even if sure if all of them have an audio warning. If you're in the thick of battle (especially on harder difficulties), looking away to glance at the status of your equipment can literally kill you or put you in a precarious situation (I tend to use the slow time rune then check). Low ammo warning is pretty tell-tale with an audio and visual cue that's hard to miss, same with the dash recharge sound... but everything else is pretty lacking.

In general it feels like they had a committee sit down, gather up all the cool things they could think of, then just threw them all into the game and tried to make it work. Call me crazy, the only clear improvements over DOOM 2016 in terms of equipment that I liked in Eternal are the recharging single use of the chainsaw (kind of has to be there with how ammo is balanced), the freeze grenade, and the ability to dash if we're counting that. I get the lore reason for the sword, but I'm not a fan of how it's implemented. The punch is a hard pass compared to DOOM 2016 version, especially in its base state... in fact, I'd rather the sword have this game's punch system, building up power as you glory kill stuff, and they left the punch like in DOOM 2016. With how things are balanced, I'd assume the sword was implemented as is because of how the chainsaw gets almost exclusively used on minions for ammo, so they needed two weapons to solve a problem created by their ammo system getting changed . You can get enough gas to mow down some larger enemies occasionally, but more often than not I found myself at 2 or less fuel because I needed ammo before going into a fight.

Also, I think the armor crystal system (forget its exact name) is going a bit too far. Upgrading HP/armor/ammo is fine, but the shoe-horned abilities you get should be in the praetor armor system... especially with how some of them are really dumb and pointless *cough* map/exploration section *cough*. It's another area where I swear they had a bunch of progression system ideas, and threw them all together, and I personally feel it came out worse than DOOM 2016.

Don't get me wrong, still a fun game, I just think Eternal does some things better than DOOM 2016 while also doing some things worse and being a slight net negative compared to its predecessor.
    I have a feeling like the design meet a "Simpsons Bolivian Tree Lizard Problem" at some point. They created a feature to deal with a problem, but that feature created another problem. So they added a new feature to solve the previous problem, but that added another problem, and so on.

Like the low ammo requires the chainsaw, but the chainsaw requires small enemies, so they spawn a lot of small enemies, but that clotters the screen, so they reduce the number of big enemies and make them tougher instead, but then they are too hard to kill, so they add the sword for later in the game, so they can again spawn more big enemies............. It get complicated really really quickly.

I think you are very right, when it comes to the idea committee and i think the Sentinel Ship and UI is proven choice. The hub has like 4 floors filled with all kinds of stuff, that all connects to the huge UI with 3 upgrade screens. Instead of just adding 1 or 2 new things for this sequel, they added a billion things, as if somebody at their design meetings did not say "maybe we have enough" at any point xD

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    Finished it, liked it.. last boss fight was a letdown.
    it's a clear reference to MAP30 from Doom 2,with the constant summoning of demons,except the boss actually fights this time.

But having to do the exact same thing twice in a row in two different arenas is weird tbh,I feel like only having the second phase would have been enough for example.
    All in all it's still nice to have a proper boss fight for the Icon of Sin this time around,even if it could have been better

just finished the game, easily a 10/10 from me. The game got more complicated and made you use your arsenal to beat every encounter. Didn't love all the platforming, but it didn't take away from the game either. They took DOOM 2016 and improved all systems and made the best shooter I've played in a LONG time.

it's a clear reference to MAP30 from Doom 2,with the constant summoning of demons,except the boss actually fights this time.

But having to do the exact same thing twice in a row in two different arenas is weird tbh,I feel like only having the second phase would have been enough for example.
    All in all it's still nice to have a proper boss fight for the Icon of Sin this time around,even if it could have been better
    I think phase one should have been the demon onslaught bonanza, while phase 2 is you going mano a mano with the Icon who would have course have enhanced, deadlier attacks. Same for the Gladiator, I think the random fodder in that fight were totally unnecessary. Just make him drop ammo/health at certain HP thresholds and/or when you counterattack him.

Still liked both bosses a lot, but Khan Makyr was my favorite. It's just fun to hookshot then punch the crap out of her smug face.

Finally finished it and collected all the things (bastards know that people like to collect stuff).
    I think it is a good successor to the 2016. What I did not like was a bit too much of the platforming and the whole ammo confetti idea. It really, really should have had more ammo with less chainsaw use plus the ammo icons were... really way too arcady. Stands out too much amidst the gore. And the gimicky counters to specific enemies, ehh...
    I absolutely did love the story and the cutscenes. It made stuff even more cool, for lack of better word.
    Oh, and fuck the purple goo. That one really was not needed.

I noticed that there were couple of issues when platforming with grabbing onto the climbing walls, but otherwise I found no bugs and the game run smoother than a hot butter. Indeed as one review said they could have sacrificed a bit more performance for even more increased graphic quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Playing it on nightmare now and im gonna say - this game would be much, much better if they added a backpack pickup that gives you 50% all ammo before bigger arenas/hidden encounters. Its just annoying when you start them from losing position.