Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Nice that they're adding updates but I'm hoping for story DLC soon, or at least info on it.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Finished the Mars Core last night and so far so good. The gameplay is definitely fun, and there's a few instances where they really try to throw the kitchen sink at you. I was surprised that the Mars Core level was easier than Arc Corp. Pain Elementals are not nearly the damage sponges they were in Doom 2. Meat Hook and a couple of super shotty blasts takes them down easily. Also, is it me or does Blood Punch not work on Cyber Mancubus to remove it's armor?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just realized I haven't even played Eternal since may. I'm 7 hours in but wandered off playing other games again.
    Weird, as I finished Doom 2016 in a single weekend. I'm not really impressed by the central hub, the puzzles, double jumping, swinging around, all the different voicelines and dialogue...

I don't want to be part of some space force thing with other humans around me that pretty much take me for granted. I really preferred the silent Doom Slayer that turns heads in awe who then just grabs a gun from a guard telling him to fuck off without any words and takes care of shit.

Doom 2016 was much more grab a gun and blast demons in a linear path. Simple yet effective. Eternal has a lot of neat additions too tho, it's not all that bad! 2016 just sucked me in from the first minute on and Eternal didn't manage to grasp me the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    I don't want to be part of some space force thing with other humans around me that pretty much take me for granted. I really preferred the silent Doom Slayer that turns heads in awe who then just grabs a gun from a guard telling him to fuck off without any words and takes care of shit.
    If you are afraid that Slayer becomes leader of human resistance, I am pleased to inform you that wont happen. One time you meet members of ARC, you promptly leave to do your own thing and even they are baffled by some of your decisions, they just ultimately hope for the best because Slayer gets shit done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    If you are afraid that Slayer becomes leader of human resistance, I am pleased to inform you that wont happen. One time you meet members of ARC, you promptly leave to do your own thing and even they are baffled by some of your decisions, they just ultimately hope for the best because Slayer gets shit done.
    Thanks for that, I was indeed worried something like that might happen.

Thanks for that, I was indeed worried something like that might happen.
    Slayer is still the same asshat, its just that humanity notices that he is the only thing that they (demons) fear and have a certain reverence towards him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just realized I haven't even played Eternal since may. I'm 7 hours in but wandered off playing other games again.
    Weird, as I finished Doom 2016 in a single weekend. I'm not really impressed by the central hub, the puzzles, double jumping, swinging around, all the different voicelines and dialogue...

Doom 2016 was much more grab a gun and blast demons in a linear path. Simple yet effective. Eternal has a lot of neat additions too tho, it's not all that bad! 2016 just sucked me in from the first minute on and Eternal didn't manage to grasp me the same way.
    Eternal takes a bit to get used to the movement and cooldown mechanics, I think by mission 3 or 4 you'll get used to it and prefer it to the first Doom.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will take (both) your word to it and launch the game again tonight.
    Cheers for commenting.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest turn off has definitely been the weapon juggling and Marauders existing merely to drain you of your extra lives. Also, the Archvile is way more of a threat in this game than in Doom 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    My biggest turn off has definitely been the weapon juggling and Marauders existing merely to drain you of your extra lives. Also, the Archvile is way more of a threat in this game than in Doom 2.
    Arch-Vile is by far the most threatening non-boss enemy in the game. Marauders? Shmucks that die in one or two stunlocks. Tyrants? slow ass target dummy. Doom Hunter? Stay at range until the rest is dead and he's cake. The Arch-Vile spawning instantly turns every other enemy into a massive threat, he's tankier than he looks, and infuriatingly hard to pin down at times with his wall, fire patches, and teleport. I Crucible every single one of the motherfuckers I find after Taras Nabad with absolutely 0 regrets.

And yeah, the Slayer's personality is fully intact. His backstory is explained and you have like two scenes and one audio log of humans justifiably being in awe of the death machine that obliterates the hellspawn left and right while they struggle to survive, but NPCs definitely stay out of your way until the very end and the Slayer still only gives not a single fuck about anything but demon genocide or demon genocide accessories.

One thing that bugged me with this game was how seriously the story took itself. The first game had this fun self-aware style to its storytelling where the slayer didn't like to get slowed down by exposition so most of the narrative is kept to some optional lore entries with only one instance where you are forced to sit and listen to exposition. This game is constantly stopping you so that it can tell a story it thinks is way more interesting than it actually is while still somehow failing to explain how we got from the end of Doom 2016 to the start of Eternal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    One thing that bugged me with this game was how seriously the story took itself. The first game had this fun self-aware style to its storytelling where the slayer didn't like to get slowed down by exposition so most of the narrative is kept to some optional lore entries with only one instance where you are forced to sit and listen to exposition. This game is constantly stopping you so that it can tell a story it thinks is way more interesting than it actually is while still somehow failing to explain how we got from the end of Doom 2016 to the start of Eternal.
    With all the extravagant reverence towards the Slayer and consequently the player, as well as the extremely over the top action sequences like the Mars cannon one, I got more of a fun B-movie vibe that pretends to take itself seriously by being way too serious about itself in an ironic way.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2020-07-10 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Propably DLC material.

My guess? Hayden teleported him to the fortress at the end of 2016 because he knew shit is too far gone.

Propably DLC material.

My guess? Hayden teleported him to the fortress at the end of 2016 because he knew shit is too far gone.
    Hayden specifically dug up the Doom Slayer and stored him before waking him up at the start of 2016 because the Doom Slayer is his ultimate backup. If Hell ever got loose the Doom Slayer was his ace in the hole to fix it.
    Since he fully intended to keep using Argent Energy (via the Crucible) it makes sense he parked the Doom Slayer somewhere incase things went wrong again. (likely inside Hell, because of the teleport stuff).

What is missing from the start of Doom Eternal is Hayden (or Vega) pulling the Doom Slayer back to 'fix' earth.
    The Doom Slayer being teleported into the Citadel and a few words from Vega was really all that was needed.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Hayden specifically dug up the Doom Slayer and stored him before waking him up at the start of 2016 because the Doom Slayer is his ultimate backup. If Hell ever got loose the Doom Slayer was his ace in the hole to fix it.
    Since he fully intended to keep using Argent Energy (via the Crucible) it makes sense he parked the Doom Slayer somewhere incase things went wrong again. (likely inside Hell, because of the teleport stuff).

What is missing from the start of Doom Eternal is Hayden (or Vega) pulling the Doom Slayer back to 'fix' earth.
    The Doom Slayer being teleported into the Citadel and a few words from Vega was really all that was needed.
    Hayden propably already discovered that UAC was compromised by hell priests, so my theory is that he sent Slayer to the fortress, knowing he will be pissed off enough to travel to earth and then he went to the UN or whatever equivalent remained with crucible and giving them access to many factories to produce weapons for the resistance.

Only thing that is missing from this timeline is Slayer killing the first priests guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    With all the extravagant reverence towards the Slayer and consequently the player, as well as the extremely over the top action sequences like the Mars cannon one, I got more of a fun B-movie vibe that pretends to take itself seriously by being way too serious about itself in an ironic way.
    That's what I got too. The story is definitely B-movie tier (I mean, just look at and listen to the cliché Hell Priests) and has both a straight face and a tongue in its cheek like most decent B-movies. The virtual cult towards the Slayer is a bit overdone I think, but it IS the guy who solos an army of demon and then kills a skyscraper-sized abomination with a laser sword to the brain. You gotta give the man his dues, he's a pretty mad lad.

Plus, if you listen to Hugo Martin's interviews, the B-movie tone was absolutely intentional given that he cites works such as freaking He-Man as major inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    That's what I got too. The story is definitely B-movie tier (I mean, just look at and listen to the cliché Hell Priests) and has both a straight face and a tongue in its cheek like most decent B-movies. The virtual cult towards the Slayer is a bit overdone I think, but it IS the guy who solos an army of demon and then kills a skyscraper-sized abomination with a laser sword to the brain. You gotta give the man his dues, he's a pretty mad lad.

Plus, if you listen to Hugo Martin's interviews, the B-movie tone was absolutely intentional given that he cites works such as freaking He-Man as major inspiration.
    He even calls the glory kill where Slayer stabs the whiplash in the head with her own broken bone the "Steven Seagal glory kill".

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    He even calls the glory kill where Slayer stabs the whiplash in the head with her own broken bone the "Steven Seagal glory kill".
    My favourite glory kill is ripping an Imps chest open, there's something brutally badass about grabbing a monster and ripping it literally in half.

I hope when the single player DLC comes out, they up the ammo count for a lot of weapons, especially the shotguns, assault rifle and rocket launcher. I am curious as to where they take the story now, as the ending feels like it's ambiguous and could be left open for a resumption of a Hell invasion assuming that killing Khan Maykyr and the Icon of Sin halts the demonic presence on earth. I think the story might involve more on the Sentinel story, likely traversing through Hell as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    QuakeCon at Home schedule has been released. Expect some DLC news at the Panel on Friday 08/7 (430 PST)

DLC Sneak Peak

welp, i needed an excuse to get back into this game...cant wait to hear about the dlc