Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Same for me. Always moving when I've got a shield. Always looking for a better angle, or blocking LOS for some enemies.

Tho I should probably use sawyers for headhunter builds. Might help me for when I miss.
    Yeah, that's what i was thinking.

After tinkering with Directive, i'm just gonna ditch the Vile thing. It's fun and all, but as usual, since damage calculations are totally wonky, you're having just unnecessary annoyance when dealing with things that are not standard enemies. Gonna equip Directive mask and test between Eclipse backpack and Anarchist.

Pestilence is still good, the damage rolls up and only needs weapon damage, boosting status is still nice because you're still relying on them and EMP sticky is very good. Sidenote: Disrupt as a status triggers every bonus, but when applied to bots it doesn't trigger Vile. It does when applied to humans, so here's another bug.

The build works, but focusing on more red is just better working overall.

EDIT: i'm gonna farm for something different after this, because i can. The Mechanical Animal/Drone build attracts me and i have some gear for it already, and i think i'm gonna use Braced with it given Spotter is a no-go. Otherwise i could start focusing on Mantis or Diamondback builds. I miss a good full red/high number build
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2020-08-07 at 07:06 AM.
    No one wants to choose. Everyone wants everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Yeah, that's what i was thinking.

After tinkering with Directive, i'm just gonna ditch the Vile thing. It's fun and all, but as usual, since damage calculations are totally wonky, you're having just unnecessary annoyance when dealing with things that are not standard enemies. Gonna equip Directive mask and test between Eclipse backpack and Anarchist.

Pestilence is still good, the damage rolls up and only needs weapon damage, boosting status is still nice because you're still relying on them and EMP sticky is very good. Sidenote: Disrupt as a status triggers every bonus, but when applied to bots it doesn't trigger Vile. It does when applied to humans, so here's another bug.

The build works, but focusing on more red is just better working overall.

EDIT: i'm gonna farm for something different after this, because i can. The Mechanical Animal/Drone build attracts me and i have some gear for it already, and i think i'm gonna use Braced with it given Spotter is a no-go. Otherwise i could start focusing on Mantis or Diamondback builds. I miss a good full red/high number build
    Why doesn't spotter work?

The main issue I have with drones is that the eay they choose and attack targets is janky. It's not a super reliable way to keep In-Sync rolling. And while drones do decent damage when they're hitting, the overall DPS is kind of meh.

That leaves their utility as a distraction for enemies to shoot at. And if you're good with cover or otherwise tough, it's not that big of a benefit.

What bugs me the most is that there aren't really many competitive options for a shooting build.

Why doesn't spotter work?

The main issue I have with drones is that the eay they choose and attack targets is janky. It's not a super reliable way to keep In-Sync rolling. And while drones do decent damage when they're hitting, the overall DPS is kind of meh.

That leaves their utility as a distraction for enemies to shoot at. And if you're good with cover or otherwise tough, it's not that big of a benefit.

What bugs me the most is that there aren't really many competitive options for a shooting build.
    AR cannot mount the Tech laser beam. So, no free pulse. Could use pulse as secondary ability, but i like too much having and healing something.

As for drone targeting, i just manually direct it to enemies - i usually put it onto yellows/tanks/named so they don't die fast and the drone can do his job, while i shoot red to bring the stacks up fast. Could use a standard Spark/Combined arms combo even if i lose some skill damage.

And yes, competition is still skewed. It's infinitely better than TU9, but the whole thing is that red builds have literally no downsides. They're even more offensive so enemies die faster and you're having less troubles. They have no issues with any type of enemy.

The game has so much build variety and it's super fun to play them all - but in the end you're gonna get bad to the same old as it works just every single time.

AR cannot mount the Tech laser beam.
    Um...yes they can? As long as it has a "long rail".

The unlock for the device requires the points in rifle in the tech tree, but once unlocked can be put on all kinds of weapons.

Logged in just to test it, to make sure I wasn't off my rocker. Works for sure on:

Military G36
    Police M4
    Carnage LMG
    Good Times LMG
    New Reliable LMG
    Tsunami Shotgun
    Custom M44 MMR
    Hunting M44 MMR

etc, etc.

It's only specific models that it doesn't work on. And none of the SMGs that I'm aware of. I recently cleaned out my stash, so I don't have every AR to test, but I'm pretty sure it works and almost all of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question about the Headhunter build, and rifle/MMR builds in general:

Do helmets on enemies ALWAYS stop a 1-shot kill? Or do you just have to do enough damage to slay them despite it?

Because if helmets always works, that's fucking annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

The headshot thing is an interesting mini-game, but the amount of effort required to make it pay off just doesn't feel worth it. Throw in helmets and warhounds, and it's just objectively not as effective as blasting things. Sure, it can create some funny situations where you drop elites with 1 or 2 shots. But it's such a chain of events that need to line up.... uhg.

Gratz to those who enjoy that playstyle I guess. I can make it work; I have the aim and most of the gear. But maybe I'm missing something vital? Like a perfect weapon? I tried the Mantis. Those target rings are misleading. I also tried a nearly god-rolled Hunting M44. Both weapons with Aces, and a brand-only build. Both with Sawyers. I liked the branded build better. Aces did really good damage when all the buffs were up, but not so good when they weren't.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-08-07 at 09:07 AM.

It's only specific models that it doesn't work on. And none of the SMGs that I'm aware of. I recently cleaned out my stash, so I don't have every AR to test, but I'm pretty sure it works and almost all of them.
    I suppose Mechanical Animal is one of these? Don't know, but i remember trying to apply it and not having the option in the mods menu.

- - - Updated - - -

The headshot thing is an interesting mini-game, but the amount of effort required to make it pay off just doesn't feel worth it. Throw in helmets and warhounds, and it's just objectively not as effective as blasting things. Sure, it can create some funny situations where you drop elites with 1 or 2 shots. But it's such a chain of events that need to line up.... uhg.
    That's the reason why i run with the Gun City Holster. It scales with headhunter since it's headshot and everything, and sice it doesn't require an actual headshot, it continues the chain and works on bots etc.

I suppose Mechanical Animal is one of these? Don't know, but i remember trying to apply it and not having the option in the mods menu.
    Probably. But you could grab any other AR with Future Perfect on it. It just wouldn't be the extra little bit for the perfect version of the talent.

Not sure which combo would be better: Spotter + Future Perfect, or some other chest talent with Mechanical Animal.

That's the reason why i run with the Gun City Holster. It scales with headhunter since it's headshot and everything, and sice it doesn't require an actual headshot, it continues the chain and works on bots etc.

Are you telling me you can just swap your pistol in and out and just chain Headhunter like that? Or does the HH buff drop when you swap weapons now?

I mean...holy hell...even without HH that adds an entirely new dimension to Bulwark builds.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-08-07 at 12:41 PM.

Probably. But you could grab any other AR with Future Perfect on it. It just wouldn't be the extra little bit for the perfect version of the talent.

Not sure which combo would be better: Spotter + Future Perfect, or some other chest talent with Mechanical Animal.

Are you telling me you can just swap your pistol in and out and just chain Headhunter like that? Or does the HH buff drop when you swap weapons now?
    Well, it's one shot every 30 seconds and it's not practical, but it works. I keep it exactly for this encounters.

As per Future Perfect, the only change is that stacks last 15 secs instead of 19, and the rest is unchanged - so totally gonna go with ANY other weapon i find feasible. Would really like to use an SMG for teh lulz.

If you're not already using an exotic, why not drop a Liberty to use when you swap to the bulwark?

I am a little surprised at Sawyers being a damage increase, especially considering the blue core. Could the buff for not moving be multiplicative maybe?

But yeah, for a pistol tank:

Claws Out holster
    Punch Drunk Mask
    Sawyers Knees.
    Currently using Merciless but it's mostly a "fun" weapon since I legitimately am not sure what to run as my secondary weapon right now, might try it with Liberty but the gun has historically been a bit too unwieldly for my taste. Stability in cover will help and all, but it's mostly for use with Bulwark out, so no benefit there.

It is multiplicative. Though i've never been a fan of them, i really move way too much for them to get stacked up.
    Yeah, I'm having to adjust my playstyle a bit as I've historically been somewhat mobile. It's not actually too bad. Haven't tried solo yet, but in groups I find that enemies generally have enough distractions to allow me to hunker down and just lay into them.

Quick question about the Headhunter build, and rifle/MMR builds in general:

Do helmets on enemies ALWAYS stop a 1-shot kill? Or do you just have to do enough damage to slay them despite it?

Because if helmets always works, that's fucking annoying.
    That's how helmets work, even red dudes. It's less annoying on red dudes since once their helmet is gone you can pick the chain right back up, but it's gotta have some sort of weakness : P

And to your bit about headshot circles, it's less a "Shoot the circle to get headshot!" and more a guide to help you figure out where their heads are at times, especially if they're partially obscured by plants or something. The build does require you to swap up your playstyle a bit and prioritize yellows/mechanicals/helmets once the buff is rolling to save reds/purples to start the chain over again.

I'm still largely finding it the fastest/most effective build for me (better than skill/Diamondback builds and we'll see how it compares once my AR build is closer to "done"), especially if I get into a group with a riot foam CC character. That's just legitimately unfair. Not the best at mechanicals/heavies (though you can take off a heavy helmet in around 2 shots, 1 fully charged and 1 with a buff from a single headshot) but I've been finding that my Burn Out is surprisingly insane as a secondary weapon. Works perfectly for laying into a heavy boss at closer range to just absolutely dump damage into them.

Good news! It's not. That's actually not good news, and it's dumb.

You roll with something like Liberty, then? Because while weapon swapping does refresh the HH buff, it scales the damage bonus based on whatever weapon you swap to. I'll regularly swap to my Burn Out to keep the buff going and the buff is maxed out on that gun, but when I swap back to Mantis the buff bar drops to a fraction of a single headshot.

I kinda wanna try it out now, because I've been curious if there's a way to make Gun City Holster work in any build. So many exotics that are just way, way, way too situational IMO.

Well, it's one shot every 30 seconds and it's not practical, but it works. I keep it exactly for this encounters.
    Ahh.....there's an internal cooldown on the free headshot damage?

Ahh.....there's an internal cooldown on the free headshot damage?
    Takes a while to build up enough stacks, 1 stack every .3 seconds up to 100 so it comes out to a nice 30 second "cooldown". You can use it before then, you'll just be missing out on the full effect of the buffs (i.e. go at 50 stacks and it's 500% damage).

I may try it out, it just seems so insanely situational given that it's only useful for that one big pop. Guess it'll work out grand if that big pop for armor/robo's is all you need.

Sadly I don't think I can work it into a build still. Proper sniper build requires Mantis, AR build loses out on way too much damage by dropping Sawyers or Coyote. Maybe I can get it working with my older sniper build with White Death. Can swap Coyote for the hoster and swap on Liberty since I'm not using another exotic weapon. Guess I've got yet another project this weekend : |

Tinkering around at launch and did the season pass daily (free 400K xp per day for doing a mission, so a heroic mission is an easy full level without kill XP factored in) and lucked out with a minor upgrade to my holster (replacing headshot damage with crit chance) and a much better AK-M with strained (missing 5% AR damage, but perfect health damage/recal'd armor damage with Strained) and ho boy are things starting to come together. With 46% crit and just shy of 120% crit damage I'm hitting named target dummies for upwards of 750K armor damage and 830K health damage with headshots and 620/750K with body shots.

Still got some tweaking to do, but the build is starting to come together how I was hoping for. Still very eager to test with Eagle Bearer if I ever end up running that raid.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2020-08-07 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Takes a while to build up enough stacks, 1 stack every .3 seconds up to 100 so it comes out to a nice 30 second "cooldown". You can use it before then, you'll just be missing out on the full effect of the buffs (i.e. go at 50 stacks and it's 500% damage).
    Right, but if you're using something like the Liberty with a high individual bullet damage, couldn't you use like 2-3 stacks to qualify for "Headshot" damage to proc Headhunter, and roll from there? Just get a kill on a redbar, and the damage should ramp up, seems like.

On a side note: Is District Union Arena hell for MMR? Literally half the enemies in there have helmets. And they're all literal crackheads who are having seizures. Good practice, I guess. If you can survive there, you can do any mission.

Right, but if you're using something like the Liberty with a high individual bullet damage, couldn't you use like 2-3 stacks to qualify for "Headshot" damage to proc Headhunter, and roll from there? Just get a kill on a redbar, and the damage should ramp up, seems like.

On a side note: Is District Union Arena hell for MMR? Literally half the enemies in there have helmets. And they're all literal crackheads who are having seizures. Good practice, I guess. If you can survive there, you can do any mission.
    Hrm, that might not be a bad way to kickstart it again if there aren't any easy reds to pop off. Still need to actually kill something with it to triger HH, but might be fun. And I'd be real curious how a stacked HH buff + fully stacked DCH buff would make a shot from Liberty because part of me feels like they wouldn't (or shouldn't) stack. Shall test tonight!

As for DUA...I don't think I've tried to solo it with my sniper build, but generally I don't think I've found it to be too annoying. There are only a few encounters that I can think of that are more annoying for that kinda build and those are when you get 2-3 heavies rolling out without any small dudes (last boss of Wall Street is a good example with the infrequent spawns of red guys). More often than not there are enough normal/non-helmet guys to pop your stacked HH on a helmet dude and then kickstart it again on another guy, and for stuff like the last boss of Wall Street I just end up swapping over to my AR when I can't stack HH.

I do want to try soloing some heroics. Did most of Stranded Tanker solo until right before the last boss with my AR build and this is still far easier than I thought it'd be now that I have builds that aren't total garbage and am not playing like a total idiot.

Question for the room: How much harder/different are the few legendary missions? I kinda want to give them a go but heard they're notably different in terms of spawns. Just wanna know what I'm getting myself into/should expect.

Kinda wanna try out one or two and finally do a full clear of Kenley college as it's been eating away at my progression window with only the first wing cleared long ago.

Hrm, that might not be a bad way to kickstart it again if there aren't any easy reds to pop off. Still need to actually kill something with it to triger HH, but might be fun. And I'd be real curious how a stacked HH buff + fully stacked DCH buff would make a shot from Liberty because part of me feels like they wouldn't (or shouldn't) stack. Shall test tonight!
    I just tried it. Doesn't seem to really proc the Holster if you swap. Or at least maybe headhunter isn't working despite DCH doing "headshot" damage. Sadly, there's no good way to track which buffs are ticking.

As for DUA...I don't think I've tried to solo it with my sniper build, but generally I don't think I've found it to be too annoying. There are only a few encounters that I can think of that are more annoying for that kinda build and those are when you get 2-3 heavies rolling out without any small dudes (last boss of Wall Street is a good example with the infrequent spawns of red guys). More often than not there are enough normal/non-helmet guys to pop your stacked HH on a helmet dude and then kickstart it again on another guy, and for stuff like the last boss of Wall Street I just end up swapping over to my AR when I can't stack HH.
    Yeah, I really think the whole Headhunter thing is just a mini-game to entertain you if you're bored. It's really just not as effective as other builds, and has a LOT of downsides.

I still want to try a rapid-fire MMR build with A&8, but I haven't been able to get a good non-bolt-action MMR to play with.

Question for the room: How much harder/different are the few legendary missions? I kinda want to give them a go but heard they're notably different in terms of spawns. Just wanna know what I'm getting myself into/should expect.
    Legendaries are extremely over-tuned. If an NPC even looks in your direction you'll literally be killed in a fraction of a second at anything except the most extreme range. People say that Roseveldt Island is the "easiest" because you almost always have max range to work with, but I don't really find any of them all that worth doing. They're NOT fun.

I just tried it. Doesn't seem to really proc the Holster if you swap. Or at least maybe headhunter isn't working despite DCH doing "headshot" damage. Sadly, there's no good way to track which buffs are ticking.
    Re-reading it, it deals "headshot damage", so I imagine it doesn't actually count as a real headshot so it wouldn't trigger the buff with a body shot. But it should still consume HH and the Holster buff no matter what >.>

HH buff shows up on your little ammo UI section when you're ADS (looks like a head with a grey bar at the bottom tracking how stacked it is) and IIRC Holster has its own buff with a little bar that fills up as well.

Yeah, I really think the whole Headhunter thing is just a mini-game to entertain you if you're bored. It's really just not as effective as other builds, and has a LOT of downsides.

I still want to try a rapid-fire MMR build with A&8, but I haven't been able to get a good non-bolt-action MMR to play with.
    Guess it's very much a playstyle/YMMV thing, because honestly it's proven to be one of the most effective builds for me. My only issue was being able to deal with multiple dudes shooting at me and preventing me from lining up quick shocks, the ironsights on my White Death helped with that and with Mantis letting me keep Decoy up almost constantly it's become a non-issue. It's rarely that there are anywhere near enough guys/helmets for a pack to still be alive after throwing out a single decoy (solo).

I've considered some of the semi-auto MMR's previously but the napkin math never quite seemed to work out over decent rifle, but maybe with 3P A&8 it'll have more bang for its buck? Never tried that setup.

Legendaries are extremely over-tuned. If an NPC even looks in your direction you'll literally be killed in a fraction of a second at anything except the most extreme range. People say that Roseveldt Island is the "easiest" because you almost always have max range to work with, but I don't really find any of them all that worth doing. They're NOT fun.
    Yeesh...I may try one just to see how bad incoming damage actually is, but if it's as bad as you say then I'll just stick with my heroic difficulty and be happy with that. Would be nice to get even more XP and better drops, but I'm still pretty pleased with the quality of heroic drops overall. At least outside of why is everything a bloody rainbow drop which is supposedly on the list for TU11 to address : D
    Last edited by Edge-; 2020-08-07 at 11:12 PM.

Guess it's very much a playstyle/YMMV thing,
    Sprry, yeah. I was probably sending the wrong message when I said it wasn't effective. Because it is effective. I can see the potential, especially if someone spent a lot of time practicing it.

It just wasnt particularly good for me. I should have explained the context of what that actually means. I cleared the heroic with the 3 jammers at the end against true sons in 20 minutes. Then I ran air and space museum in about the same. I failed pretty hard on DUA a couple times. Once against Diesel, and once before even reaching him. But then breezed through the crashed airplane CP4 in like 5 minutes flat.

I compare that against my preferred SMG Negotiator build that practically sprints through everything and has no real weaknesses besides maybe ammo consumption.

So it's not really that the HH build doesn't work. It just feels like more work to reach the same or slower results, with more conditions on success.

Yeesh...I may try one just to see how bad incoming damage actually is, but if it's as bad as you say then I'll just stick with my heroic difficulty and be happy with that. Would be nice to get even more XP and better drops, but I'm still pretty pleased with the quality of heroic drops overall. At least outside of why is everything a bloody rainbow drop which is supposedly on the list for TU11 to address : D
    There is a VERY real reason why legendary groups rely on CC and turret/drones. The damage output and accuracy of legendary NPCs is literally off the charts.

@SirCowdog @Coldkil

So...uh...HH + Holster fuckin works. But it requires proper headshots -

Slight tweaks to my old White Death build, but those 20M headshots are just me stacking HH on regular dummies.

The 26M was my first shot with Liberty, not sure what's up with that.

And then yes, that's a 41.7 million damage headshot followup.

Tried replicating with a body shot and...20M. Playing more, the way the buffs work is weird.

Holster and HH seem to have a really weird interaction. The first shot seems to consume the Holster buff, which with HH stacked was hitting from 26-28M (headshot). Without HH stacked it hits for 10M (headshot). However the second shot seems to give HH some sort of massive boost from the Holster buff, with 42M headshots with HH stack and 18M without HH, with the gun returning to 9-10M headshots with just the HH buff.

There's something really weird going on there, but...I kinda way to test it to see if I can use it to functionally 2-tap a heavy bosses helmet off.

Since today is the last day home before i go on holiday for 2 weeks, i'm gonna try to find a Braced chest to try with Chameleon. The weapon is all aboit precise shooting, now the buffs refresh when you're out of combat, so it should be good to use.

@SirCowdog @Coldkil

There's something really weird going on there, but...I kinda way to test it to see if I can use it to functionally 2-tap a heavy bosses helmet off.
    When I tried it in the field, here's what I did:

Kill with an MMR for the headshot
    Swap to liberty and fire a body shot for "Headshot damage".
    Swap back to MMR, no shots for a few seconds to activate the holster again.
    Back to Liberty and body shot to see if the HH stack would continue due to the exotic holster.

Didn't work. All I got was regular pistol damage.

It DID gain the HH bonus after a previous headshot kill. But could not be used to trick HH with the exotic holster into allowing body shot kills to count towards HH stack.

- - - Updated - - -

Since today is the last day home before i go on holiday for 2 weeks, i'm gonna try to find a Braced chest to try with Chameleon. The weapon is all aboit precise shooting, now the buffs refresh when you're out of combat, so it should be good to use.
    Braced + Merciless is supposed to be a good combo as well. The tricky part of that weapon is landing both shots to add a stack towards the explosion. Supposedly weapon handling helps.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-08-08 at 05:52 AM.

When I tried it in the field, here's what I did:

Kill with an MMR for the headshot
    Swap to liberty and fire a body shot for "Headshot damage".
    Swap back to MMR, no shots for a few seconds to activate the holster again.
    Back to Liberty and body shot to see if the HH stack would continue due to the exotic holster.

Didn't work. All I got was regular pistol damage.

It DID gain the HH bonus after a previous headshot kill. But could not be used to trick HH with the exotic holster into allowing body shot kills to count towards HH stack.
    Reading it, I imagine the calculation is done on the front end of the calculation by automatically factoring in HS calculation and HH is triggered by actual hit itself, which wouldn't be tagged as a headshot by the server.

I'm still desperately trying to figure out how it actually works with full Holster stacks though because every time I think I have an idea of how it works it falls apart, I shoulda paid more attention in math class ages ago.

Braced + Merciless is supposed to be a good combo as well. The tricky part of that weapon is landing both shots to add a stack towards the explosion. Supposedly weapon handling helps.
    Can confirm, it makes Merciless very easy to control and eliminates almost all recoil unless you spam pretty hard. Depending on your aim in general, it's still effective at mid-range if you keep a steady pace to your shots. Used this on the heavy shield trio at the end of Wall Street and while it probably wasn't super effective (lots of shield hits, explosive damage spreads between armor IIRC) at melting them it was super effective at holy fuckballs levels of raw damage output because every explosion was around 4M combined damage.

I haven't tried Chameleon with Braced yet though, and that could be fun. New thing to test tomorrow morning!

Edit: Think I figured it out, and it makes no sense.

The second shot basically just doubles the added damage from the Holster buff. Without HH it goes from 2M to 10M (+8), and the second shot goes for 18M (+8). With stacked HH it goes from 10M to 26M (+16) to 42M (+16). That's the only thing that makes any sense, and holy hell is that now how I expected it to interact at all.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2020-08-08 at 07:27 AM.

Continuing on the MMR practice: Seems like using an SRS with only an 8X scope lets me perform a bit better. There's something wonky about the way the 12x and the Digital scope zooms that throws off my aim a bit. And maybe it's a perception thing, but the aiming reticle of the 8x seems to allow for lining up headshots more easily.

The raw damage isn't quite the same, and I definitely feel it. But I think landing shots is probably more important for the level of skill I'm at. Was able to clear air & space museum in 15 minutes on heroic. Which is pretty reasonable, IMO.

I still want to try an Ekim's Longstick. But so far one hasn't dropped for me.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-08-08 at 08:34 AM.