Thread: Starfield

Page 6 of 82 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Bethesda confirms - first person dialogues, voiceless protagonist.

Game has some interesting traits at character creation. For example your parents are still alive but you send them 10% of all your income, or you start with a house on a nice moon but you have a $50,000 mortgage.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-06-14 at 06:00 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

What kind of style do you think would be pleasing to you or the market?
    No idea. But for reference Mass Effect takes place like 150 years from now while Starfield takes place over 300 and looks like it takes place in 50 years while Mass Effect actually looks like some future tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The early TES games had Kirkbride's rich lore which informed the art direction, and after Todd saw Jackson's LotR trilogy and decided to go for generic aesthetics, the setting still had the foundation of Kirkbride's lore. And Bethseda's Fallout games were built on a foundation of better lore.

The world of Starfield seems incredibly bland. Nothing I saw or heard captured the imagination.
    Dunno mate, Arena was boring, Dagerfall was meh.
    Todd with Morrowind and Todd with Fallout 3 revolutionaized rpgs.
    people need to stock sucking off michael kirkbride, he was the dude who just wanted huge empty worlds for the sake of being huge.
    Morrowinds world shits on arenas and daggerfalls.
    and lets not get start about "fallouts foundations",
    Fallout 3 from bethesda is miles ahead from what the og devs planned for the next fallout after 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    No idea. But for reference Mass Effect takes place like 150 years from now while Starfield takes place over 300 and looks like it takes place in 50 years while Mass Effect actually looks like some future tech.
    I don't think it's ever been mentioned how much different this universe is compared to ours. Look at Fallout. It takes place in the future yet has a 50s aesthetic. History could be vastly different in this universe as well.

That is just life. Liking it is irrelevant for the most part. They are just going to keep doing their thing because it is wildly successful.

These people don't have morals. It's all bullshit. They do it for money, not the love of the customer. They just want our money. If you want to play, you have to pay at some point no matter the game or franchise.

Still does not mean i can not say it......

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Still does not mean i can not say it......
    Yea, I am just pointing out that is the just the way it is regardless. Again, if we want to play these and future games, one has to reconcile the marketplace has changed and will never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    So, you think the technology should look more fantastical?

Do you like sci-fi that is less fantastical in presentation and more distinctly analogous to modern conventions of design?
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-06-14 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Y'all...what the fuck is the point of 1,000 worlds to explore is most will likely be "filler" content with Marcus telling us about a settlement we need to help?
    I'm late to the party but...mods. Once modders get ahold of Starfield's 1,000+ planets, this game is going to have very, very long legs; so long as they don't force everyone onto their managed platform. All Bethesda needs to do is have a decent base game with minimal game-breaking bugs and a solid foundation in which to build off of (crafting, skill system, etc). Modders will do the rest, and Bethesda will sell Starfield for years.

Yeah seems (like Skyrim) it will be a fun game after 3 or 4 years of modding!

Space without psionics is a little sad, though. Something else I'm sure modders will do cool things with

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    An Art Deco + Futurism hybrid would have been a great fit off the top of my head.
    So you would like a more dramatic presentation of early to mid-century design and motifs? What other games have this type of style? Do you prefer those games visually and for what reason?

What makes this style appealing to you?

Thoughts as I watched the video:

• Bland art direction.
    • Tedious busywork of mining rocks
    • Bland, non-diagetic HUD
    • Generic overorchestrated soundtrack
    • Murderhobo simulator
    • HP bars rather than bodyparts
    • Generic collect the alien artifacts plot
    • Bland skill system "rifle does 20% more damage" perks

As much as I rag on Star Citizen, SC is more fun than this game looks. At least this game is singleplayer, though, so you don't need an internet connection and you can mod it and play at will.

Building your own outposts could be cool, though.

How much spaceship customization is there? Okay that's an improvement on SC.

Can you seemlessly go from ground to orbit like in SC? Or is this like Freelancer where the planet locations are seperate zones and there is a loading screen going into space?

Okay they're going for SC scope. Will the planets have more going on them than SC planets? Could Bethseda have really handcrafted the millions of square miles of land in the game with meaningful stuff to do? Or is there a similar level of copy-pasting and random generation?

Final thoughts: Hm. Not sold on the game. We'll see. I think I'd need to watch GopherVids getting his hands on the game for a few hours to formulate a better opinion.

Those perks are the best. Absolutely loathe overcomplicated and weird perks i don't end up using in some games.

Talking about the design of the ships and robots, it's just generic modern industrial with no personality whatsoever. There are dozens of different, more imaginative things they could have done.
    Wonderful examples. So you are preferring a design less contemporary in appearance but has fantastical elements of industrialism?

Do you enjoy any contemporary art direction? For example, the aesthetic sense of Ad Astra?

Yea, I am just pointing out that is the just the way it is regardless. Again, if we want to play these and future games, one has to reconcile the marketplace has changed and will never go back.

So, you think the technology should look more fantastical?

Do you like sci-fi that is less fantastical in presentation and more distinctly analogous to modern conventions of design?
    I think people didn't watch the part where you make your own ships. You literally are the designer of it.

Thing is, all Bethesda games have the same art deco look to them in some way. It is something of a Todd Howard trademark.

Biggest thing about Bethesda games, and what makes them last so long, is something that Cyclone Jack stated and that is modding. All of their games(except Fallout 76 due to online reasons) allow for the entire game to be modded. Bethesda prides themselves on how moddable their games are.

If people don't like how the game looks, fine, change it to what you want it to look like.

So, my worry comes down to this. I think I can distill it down.

There are a bunch of procedurally generated planets right? That right there sounds worrying. What is that replacing? I'm worried that mining for nodes on a procedurally generated planet will not only get super boring, I'm worried that it will replace a lot of npc interaction from skyrim/fallout.

Also, I'm worried because the type of exploration available from Bethesda in Fallout and Skyrim is really not good exploration in the first place, and this developer is terrible with change and/or developing really any other game but the same one they have always made. They can't even make exploration good with bespoke maps(fallout 4), how will they do so in a procedurally generated map?

Are we supposed to derive some fun from a Bethesda game, from the actual combat? Do we really think that Bethesda could ever make good combat, like is that supposed to be the new fun here, because I'm super worried that just like Skyrim, the "combat" will be not Dragon's Dogma or Nioh 2 level, to put it very nicely.

So is this new stuff, all of which sounds bad, IN ADDITION to the old Skyrim stuff, or are they going to be removing features, because those games don't have many features to remove. The biggest, most expensive, hardest to do, and probably the EASIEST one to remove would be npc interactions, which is why the vast majority play something like Fallout. We also know that the last time they got a bad idea, we got Fallout 76, a terrible game.

So that is why I'm worried. What they can do is very good, but it is a delicate balance. The games are super bad in a whole lot of ways, but have a lot of super good to counter act that. The devs have always failed in strange ways that are easy to overlook. In fallout 76 we had all their common failures, but little of the good that they bring. In this case, I'm worried that a whole bunch of new features done poorly will end results in another Fallout 76 or worse, and if this game is bad, then I'm going to so regret buying my XSX because honestly, I was expecting Skyrim in space and I'm worried that's not what we are gonna get.

I say this now, because during fallout 4, when I found out about settlement building I immediately knew that was a mistake that took away from the rest of the game, just sounded like boring busywork, and never voiced my worry. Fallout 4 turned out mediocre and settlement building busywork that I skip completely. How much time did they dump into that settlement building minigame that was such a big part of fallout 4 but should have just not even been in the game(and more/better side quests/events/npcs/lore put in instead). Just imo of course. Also all the extra attention put into power armor and gameplay in fallout 4, was fallout 4's gameplay good? I'm worried they are counting on their gameplay to help them....they should be counting on their rpg, quest, writing mastery. Combat in these games is lighyears from great. Cyberpunk 2077 also believed that their combat would carry them, but they couldn't even make great combat in Witcher 3(but MUCH more servicable than Bethesda).

I do hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-06-14 at 04:44 PM.

It looks like they copied no man's sky, and then improved on everything.

But, it's bethesda, so I fear it'll be an unoptimized mess that modders have to finish.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    10/10 choice! The voice acting in fallout 4 was bloody horrendous and the idea of them sticking with voices and trying to do an elder scrolls is a horrific prospect.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    Yeah seems (like Skyrim) it will be a fun game after 3 or 4 years of modding!
    I played Skyrim for a very very long time on console before Mods were available. I played it on 3 consoles as a matter of fact.

I loved every minute of the unmodded game.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I'm sure you speak for most people! As incredible as it is, I bet only a tiny % of people actually mod stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Reading through people's dislikes here makes me feel like I am some anomaly. Everything folks here are saying was bad in the previous Bethesda games, are the things I enjoyed. I am legitimately considering replaying Fallout 4 due to the comments here, lol. Ya'll are making me miss it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Bethesda confirms - first person dialogues, voiceless protagonist.

Game has some interesting traits at character creation. For example your parents are still alive but you send them 10% of all your income, or you start with a house on a nice moon but you have a $50,000 mortgage.
    Erg, voiceless, fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could just re-play The Outer Worlds instead of this game. Knowing Todd, the game will be a buggy piece of mess and probaly un-playeable for a lot of people.

Npcs may suffer same issue as npcs in X4 with barely anything to talk abauth.
    Don't sweat the details!!!