Thread: Starfield

Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, I am just pointing out that is the just the way it is regardless. Again, if we want to play these and future games, one has to reconcile the marketplace has changed and will never go back.

So, you think the technology should look more fantastical?

Do you like sci-fi that is less fantastical in presentation and more distinctly analogous to modern conventions of design?
    It doesn't need to necessarily be more fantastical but it should how ever look like an evolution of modern technology considering the time gap and the fact they are capable of traversing multiple solar systems. Trains are like 200 years old and look at the aesthetic evolution of them.

If this game was set 50 years in a future where we find a plot device that lets us go to another solar system so the rest of the technology was more grounded I would be fine with it but its not it's set in a far future where we can run around over 100 different systems.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    10/10 choice! The voice acting in fallout 4 was bloody horrendous and the idea of them sticking with voices and trying to do an elder scrolls is a horrific prospect.
    Real shame that they STILL can't improve their trademark wooden faces. Plus so many locations looked like they were taken straight from the Fallout series and the no-reaction-to-being-shot enemies are back. Not sure if I would buy it normal, but it is a Gamepass day one, so basically free.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-06-14 at 05:59 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Wow. Reading through people's dislikes here makes me feel like I am some anomaly. Everything folks here are saying was bad in the previous Bethesda games, are the things I enjoyed. I am legitimately considering replaying Fallout 4 due to the comments here, lol. Ya'll are making me miss it.
    Didn't u know, shitting on things is the popular thing to do these days.

Game looks great imo, I just hope all those planets are hand crafted and not generated like in NMS

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    You could just re-play The Outer Worlds instead of this game. Knowing Todd, the game will be a buggy piece of mess and probaly un-playeable for a lot of people.

Npcs may suffer same issue as npcs in X4 with barely anything to talk abauth.
    Outer Worlds was very mediocre at best.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Outer Worlds was very mediocre at best.
    It had too much satire for my liking, couldn't take the world and story seriously. Starfield looked super drab, in more than one way. I really hope they wont shoehorn us into any dubiously fun activities, like settlements in F4. And I REALLY hope they fixed issues and bugs that they were kept carrying from Morrowind, and that in general they wont wait for the modding scene to do all the work for them.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Real shame that they STILL can't improve their trademark wooden faces. Plus so many locations looked like they were taken straight from the Fallout series and the no-reaction-to-being-shot enemies are back. Not sure if I would buy it normal, but it is a Gamepass day one, so basically free.
    I don’t know I’ll take the wooden faces over the mash potato ones from oblivion any day.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    It doesn't need to necessarily be more fantastical but it should how ever look like an evolution of modern technology considering the time gap and the fact they are capable of traversing multiple solar systems. Trains are like 200 years old and look at the aesthetic evolution of them.

If this game was set 50 years in a future where we find a plot device that lets us go to another solar system so the rest of the technology was more grounded I would be fine with it but its not it's set in a far future where we can run around over 100 different systems.
    Interesting feedback. How important is verisimilitude to you in settings such as this?

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Game looks great imo, I just hope all those planets are hand crafted and not generated like in NMS
    Right, they definitely hand crafted over a thousand entire planets.

Interesting feedback. How important is verisimilitude to you in settings such as this?
    If it has its own voice/soul/style then not so much. If they wanna go for a more realistic/modern look then it's more important imo.

So you would like a more dramatic presentation of early to mid-century design and motifs? What other games have this type of style? Do you prefer those games visually and for what reason?

What makes this style appealing to you?
    I would prefer the fusion of those styles over the "nasa-punk" style they are using most definitely.

Off the top of my head, Bioshock/LA Noire use a lot of Art Deco elements.

And Cyberpunk/No Man Sky utilize a lot of elements of futurism (in clearly different ways)

The combination of the two combines dramatic use of color & sense of motion, w/ slightly exaggerated/stylized elements & symmetrical geometry.

Simply, art is about creating unique emotions/experiences in the viewer and the meticulous detail in Art Deco and dramatic emotion of futurism tend to be elements I find stimulate me in art. I think the pairing of the two would work really well on a sci-fi game with a talented team (Bethesda can afford it)

Good questions. It caught me off guard getting good questions from these forums

I was cautiously excited about this game and now I'm kinda just meh about it. it just... looks so generic in every possible way. maybe with more information will see it have more of an identity, but the gameplay video they released made me go.. I already played this game. more then once.

So No Man's Skyrim eh? The space sections looked nice TBH, and if they can upgrade the crafting and base building from FO4 it might be a fun part of the game. Please give it decent controls as well, doing everything in first person there was atrocious. It had some interesting traits too, curious to see if they push for more RPG elements across the entire title.

A thousand planets is an immediate red flag. Ain't no way more than a couple of them are anything but procedurally generated complete mediocrity. I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong (which is telling since I would then be left with no hats) but I'm certain I won't be. I'd have been far more stocked for, at most, a half dozen fully realized planets plus minor locations like asteroids and space stations.

The gameplay looks, well, Bethesda. Mediocre at best.

I gotta agree with people. Art design and general atmosphere look very bland. You're in space dammit, be creative. NASA look might be realistic but when we can freely hop around a thousand friggin planets we're clearly not in realism territory anymore.

I'll probably play on Gamepass. Perhaps modders will truly unleash this game's potential, but I have little hope this will be anything deep and satisfying.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Makes sense, though the trailer sure implied otherwise. So much less "offline Star Citizen/big budget No Man's Sky".

I'm pretty fine with that. While the whole "going from the surface into space seamlessly" thing is cool as hell, the complexity it brings with it comes with a huge cost. It's a space RPG anyways, not a space sim.

That's actually kinda good to hear, gives me hope that the whole game isn't so hilariously overscoped like the "1,000 planets" bit. Hopefully reducing technical complexity like this results in Bethesda releasing a technically competent game that's not a buggy shitshow for the first time in like, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Makes sense, though the trailer sure implied otherwise. So much less "offline Star Citizen/big budget No Man's Sky".

I'm pretty fine with that. While the whole "going from the surface into space seamlessly" thing is cool as hell, the complexity it brings with it comes with a huge cost. It's a space RPG anyways, not a space sim.

That's actually kinda good to hear, gives me hope that the whole game isn't so hilariously overscoped like the "1,000 planets" bit. Hopefully reducing technical complexity like this results in Bethesda releasing a technically competent game that's not a buggy shitshow for the first time in like, ever.
    Agreed. While flying from space to surface is neat in concept, and it does make the game feel a tiny bit more immersive, its also a massive waste of time. I'd rather have a 15 second transition via loading screen than a 5-10 minute transition of flying down to the surface.

Also, there's no way that this aged engine could support something so ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I would prefer the fusion of those styles over the "nasa-punk" style they are using most definitely.

Off the top of my head, Bioshock/LA Noire use a lot of Art Deco elements.

And Cyberpunk/No Man Sky utilize a lot of elements of futurism (in clearly different ways)

The combination of the two combines dramatic use of color & sense of motion, w/ slightly exaggerated/stylized elements & symmetrical geometry.

Simply, art is about creating unique emotions/experiences in the viewer and the meticulous detail in Art Deco and dramatic emotion of futurism tend to be elements I find stimulate me in art. I think the pairing of the two would work really well on a sci-fi game with a talented team (Bethesda can afford it)

Good questions. It caught me off guard getting good questions from these forums
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I enjoy this concept of "Nasa-Punk" and never heard it styled as such before. But it's a great label!

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps the in game story will explain the reason tech is the way it is.

Currently in the real world it is due to weight, cost, and aerodynamics. Like yeah, sure we could build a spaceship that looks super futuristic, but it isn't practical.

300 years in the future, perhaps the requirement of practicality remains.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is my theory, but i belive planets will act more like a dungeons that planets itself.

Kinda like Oblivion, the main map is space, while towns, dungeons, caves and ruins are planets.
    You can quite easy make 1000+ planets that way then.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Here is my theory, but i belive planets will act more like a dungeons that planets itself.

Kinda like Oblivion, the main map is space, while towns, dungeons, caves and ruins are planets.
    You can quite easy make 1000+ planets that way then.
    I can see that.

Or perhaps a blend. Some planets have vast exploration areas, others having small areas which are more like dungeons.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    OK that's all great and everything, but can we get elder scrolls 6 now.
    Still in pre-production, we're not gonna see that until at least 2026. Feels bad man.