Thread: Starfield

Page 1 of 82
... LastLast

Starfield

Is it set in a new or existing universe? Do you think there will be aliens?

I'd prefer if we could a highly polished space RPG with that adhered to hard science fiction (ala Gundam UC/PD, Rimworld, or Trigun, ie no FTL, no aliens, no magical or fantasy technology), while still being a fairly lighthearted story (ala Trigun or Xenogears). It seems that if a western science fiction game is lighthearted, then it's a Star Trek expy with aliens, federations, and absurd tech. On the other hand, if it's more grounded like Alien or Halo, then it has to be bleak. Considering that this is Bethseda, I doubt that will happen though. Oh well.

The trailer is showing so little, I'm not even sure it is for a game. There was some satelite thingy which was unfolding it's (maybe) solar collectors. Then someone seems to have missdialed on their cheap chinese knock-off stargate.

All I could find was that it's supposed to be a single player sci-fi space RPG. While that sounds great and I kinda hope it will come with weird shit like the recent Prey game, I couldn't find anything in regards to the setting other than space. Todd Howard already seems to have hinted that it's far away as well, so we have little to nothing to go by. Who knows if they even have a firm vision for the game yet or if it is still in major flux.

10+ Year Old Account
    New universe not related to any of Bethesda's other properties. It was said before the trailer was played at Bethesda's E3 press conference. Todd Howard specifically said it was a "next gen. single player game" and that it was their "1st wholly original franchise in 25 years."

Both Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI were announced together as things they're working on "for the future". Typically, Bethesda only shows off games at E3 that are coming out within a year of the show. Between that, his referring to Starfield as a "next gen." game and the fact that they didn't even give us the subtitle of the Elder Scrolls game (i.e., the area of Tamriel that we'll be playing in) ... that means that we likely won't see these games any time soon. 2020 or later; most likely on the next console generation.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    New universe not related to any of Bethesda's other properties. It was said before the trailer was played at Bethesda's E3 press conference. Todd Howard specifically said it was a "next gen. single player game" and that it was their "1st wholly original franchise in 25 years."

Both Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI were announced together as things they're working on "for the future". Typically, Bethesda only shows off games at E3 that are coming out within a year of the show. Between that, his referring to Starfield as a "next gen." game and the fact that they didn't even give us the subtitle of the Elder Scrolls game (i.e., the area of Tamriel that we'll be playing in) ... that means that we likely won't see these games any time soon. 2020 or later; most likely on the next console generation.
    yep, possibly holiday 19 as a launch/post launch title for the PS5/Xbox whatever, or early 2020.

I'm guessing they'll save graphics/gameplay for the manufactures launch of those titles as a 'see what this machine can do' thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first new IP from Bathesda in like 30 years, hard sci fi, single player, story driven RPG.

Sign me the fuck up.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    The first new IP from Bathesda in like 30 years, hard sci fi, single player, story driven RPG.

Sign me the fuck up.
    Yep, I'm also very hyped for this.

PS. Yeehaa 17k posts!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Yep, I'm also very hyped for this.

PS. Yeehaa 17k posts!
    I just hope that it's not locked into ranged combat... I love hard sci fi, but so many games think that sci fi HAS to mean ranged combat. Sci Fi can EASILY have excellent melee combat. Just saying.

And gratz on the milestone.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I'd prefer if we could a highly polished space RPG
    Looking at the wrong company for that though

Deleted

Some tidbits here for those interested. It's definitely a massive new single player franchise, and it is already playable in house, so it might be coming sooner than people think.

I'm all for getting some more good Scifi IPs, especially ones that aren't tied to EA/Activision. I'll be watching out for this one I guess.

PS: Is this the first thread this guy has posted on this sub-forum that hasn't gotten locked I think?

10+ Year Old Account
    It just works in space

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I'm all for getting some more good Scifi IPs, especially ones that aren't tied to EA/Activision. I'll be watching out for this one I guess.

PS: Is this the first thread this guy has posted on this sub-forum that hasn't gotten locked I think?
    yup good ole shepard is in charge of the mega thread

Christ, how many games is Bethesda developing at the same time? Kinda diluting their resources, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Christ, how many games is Bethesda developing at the same time? Kinda diluting their resources, no?
    Do not confuse Bethesda the studio with Bethesda the publisher.

The Studio is mostly done with Fallout 76 minus future DLC
    They will then put more effort into Star Field and then into Skyrim 2

The publisher has ID and other studios making DOOM, Rage, Wolfenstein, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Skyrim 2
    By that logic, it would actually be Morrowind 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    By that logic, it would actually be Morrowind 4.
    Skyrim 2 will have a battle royale mode and despacito 2

Deleted
    This was going to be a potential game if Bethesda didn't get the Fallout franchise, and they've been thinking about it for a long time. In more of a development stage since at least 2013.

15 minute gameplay reveal. First impressions, looks great. Some very close similarities with No Mans Sky. They didn't show any seamless flying from planet to space so I'm going to assume you can't do it. Character creation looks good. You can build your own bases and ships and populate them with crew. Apparently there's over 1000 planets to explore, so I'm guessing there's some procedural generation shiz going and there'll be a lot of dead/empty planets outside of the main crafted areas.

Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2022-06-12 at 07:01 PM.

Sweet, this might persuade me to get an Xbox.

Pity there's no multiplayer.

Just a curious question with the start of the trailer when Todd Howard's talking... how's that projection behind him done, 2 screen layers? The Starfield logo's floating there while the the perspective of the stars behind is different when the camera is panning.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2022-06-12 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    15 minute gameplay reveal.
    Thoughts as I watched the video:

• Bland art direction.
    • Tedious busywork of mining rocks
    • Bland, non-diagetic HUD
    • Generic overorchestrated soundtrack
    • Murderhobo simulator
    • HP bars rather than bodyparts
    • Generic collect the alien artifacts plot
    • Bland skill system "rifle does 20% more damage" perks

As much as I rag on Star Citizen, SC is more fun than this game looks. At least this game is singleplayer, though, so you don't need an internet connection and you can mod it and play at will.

Building your own outposts could be cool, though.

How much spaceship customization is there? Okay that's an improvement on SC.

Can you seemlessly go from ground to orbit like in SC? Or is this like Freelancer where the planet locations are seperate zones and there is a loading screen going into space?

Okay they're going for SC scope. Will the planets have more going on them than SC planets? Could Bethseda have really handcrafted the millions of square miles of land in the game with meaningful stuff to do? Or is there a similar level of copy-pasting and random generation?

Final thoughts: Hm. Not sold on the game. We'll see. I think I'd need to watch GopherVids getting his hands on the game for a few hours to formulate a better opinion.