Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...

Who cares?

Stood in the Fire The5thVegetable's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    To me it seems more like he's criticizing culture than race. I think it's pretty safe to say that one could tie his observations about chinese people to their communist ideology, provided they'd gone down that route by then (which I assume they had, but I'm no expert.) Regarding his other statements, I feel like those need more context than that article provides, but I certainly don't care enough to go digging for it.

In either case, it seems to me like he's less of a racist and more of a... cultur... ist? I dunno.
    Why do I even bother to post on this damned site?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    that's not an excuse to behave like that. it's fucking pathetic to be selfhating, anyone that is deserves no respect or admiration.

the only thing lower is a fetish cuckold.
    Where did he ever imply that he had self-hatred? If someone black says 'fatherless homes is a disease of black people", would you think that person would be referencing every. single. black person in America or even most?

Also, not knocking on you, but it seems a little hypocritical for you to be knocking other people's fetishes...

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    what it is true.

Einstein, newton, Socrates, Plato, Darwin all said some seriously racist things by today's standards in there works.

and lets not start on H.P Lovecraft and some of the creative types thats a whole mess of wako views.

here's a book on plato and his racist views in the republic

http://politics.virginia.edu/georgek...09/racism2.pdf
    To be fair, in the case of Lovecraft, even for his time he was considered a bigot. Like he went beyond the norm of racism.

I know this is pages back, but it always bothers me when people defend Lovecraft as typical, when he wasnt typical for the time.

(I've still read all his stuff at least three times, love his writing)
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Does it really matter?
    Sure why not? We need to obsess over moral purity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stereotyping and racism aren't the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Sure why not? We need to obsess over moral purity.
    Honestly I'm seeing precious few getting worked up over this, and a lot of expectations that a lot of people are outraged over this. That is to say people getting outraged at the notion that others are getting outraged.

That seems fairly typical for this sort of stuff. More discussion on how others are getting angry over it, when it doesnt seem many are. People are building up an enemy, an oppositional party, in their head.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Where did he ever imply that he had self-hatred? If someone black says 'fatherless homes is a disease of black people", would you think that person would be referencing every. single. black person in America or even most?

Also, not knocking on you, but it seems a little hypocritical for you to be knocking other people's fetishes...
    that's exactly what i'd think they're meaning.

you can say "racism is a disease" without attributing that disease to white people in general. his statement was made in a very general sense.

and hey, none of my fetishes require me to view myself as lesser than someone else. that's the lowest of low.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Honestly I'm seeing precious few getting worked up over this, and a lot of expectations that a lot of people are outraged over this. That is to say people getting outraged at the notion that others are getting outraged.

That seems fairly typical for this sort of stuff. More discussion on how others are getting angry over it, when it doesnt seem many are. People are building up an enemy, an oppositional party, in their head.
    What are your numbers and sources?

The BBC and Guardian probably have higher readership than MMO champion off-topic forums. Can't be too sure sometimes though.

- - - Updated - - -

you can say "racism is a disease" without attributing that disease to white people in general. his statement was made in a very general sense
    Was that his statement?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    Nigger /Neger beeing an insult was a american thing only.
    Yes remember that to.... Neger was the polite/academic way to say it.... its from Latin for "black".... but phrases like svartskalle "blackhead" was a intentional insult. We did have a cake that was call Negerboll.... but it change the last 10 year and more have embraced the US view

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    To me this whole story is a disappointing example of people mis-applying the state of June 2018 values to a situation from 100 years ago. Of all things Einstein's greatest achievement was the theory of relativity. So it's kind of ironic that in his case of all people, that 100 years later people lose perspective and try to apply today's values to writings from back then - and then apply a judgement based on that to reach a conclusion about a person.

I guarantee if you hopped in a TARDIS and went back to 1920 as a fly on the wall to listen to the top 500 famous people in the world of the time, probably 90% or more were racist. In fact you could go back about 40 years and nearly everyone was pretty drunk uncle racist, sadly. Rather than look down on people and what they thought in the past in a less racially enlightened time, I'd focus on how far we've come and the problems that still remain today. Gotta keep perspective.

If he was or wasnt.. I am trying to figure out how this actually changes my life..

Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    Who the hell cares? The guy was a genius and did so much for the world.
    I heard he stole it all from his lady assistant, while spending most of his time fucking his cousin.

Imposing your morality backwards through history is pretty stupid.

Different times, different perspectives. Most of the people judging would be racists too if they were born 100 years ago.

Lets just shit on the history of intelligence by bringing up dead people's racial biases. Like it has any merit to the progress of intelligence Einstein brought to modern day education.

Yes, he wasn't perfect hell he's a product of his times' politics. But we can't seem to let that stuff go. Nobody would've known he was "racist" until they started digging for problems.
    [Insert Infraction Here]

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    "racism is a disease of white people"

that's enough for me to not like him personally. people were believing this fucking bullshit even back in the 40's and 50's, incredible.
    Considering how racist the rest of the world is, your post is utter bollocks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    To be fair, in the case of Lovecraft, even for his time he was considered a bigot. Like he went beyond the norm of racism.

I know this is pages back, but it always bothers me when people defend Lovecraft as typical, when he wasnt typical for the time.

(I've still read all his stuff at least three times, love his writing)
    aye though i wasnt defending it, just pointing out alot of famous people in history and likly alot of people today are racist some probly evean at the lovecraft level