Poll: Which Nelves?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Alliance WC3 Night Elves vs Post-Vanilla Night Elves

I'm basically drawing a distinction between the night elves and how they were portrayed in WC3, the WCRPG and Vanilla (mostly) and the night elves as they have been portrayed since Cata. These lines are pretty arbitrary, but it's pretty undeniable that there has been a huge shift from night elves as nocturnal, quasi-tribal amazons and bearded, ancient (but animalistic) wildmen to a more vaguely nature-affiliated more homogenized race more in line with the other races of the Alliance.

Which one do you think is ultimately the more unique and preferable style of the night elves?

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    How they were originally portrayed obviously, it was perfect.

If you find anyone who think night elves now clutching at the legs of humans is better, I’ll be surprised.
    Last edited by Friendlyimmolation; 2018-06-14 at 12:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I invite you to have a read: http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Wood_Elves OP

Mechagnome
    5+ Year Old Account
    Their original interpretation was perfect. Nocturnal amazons with a heavy lunar/forest vibe. The NE and Scourge we by far and away the two most popular factions in WC3. No real idea why Blizzard decided to change what was successful into their current state.

Deleted
    Yeah Night elves should have been more neutral towards Alliance and hostile towards Horde, help Alliance from time to time but mind their own business in their forests and sent their special forces ( night elf player) to world ending events

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    Oh yeah, Warcraft took a lot of inspiration from Warhammer, although I believe night elves were more based on drow from D&D (more martiarchal-leaning, purple, nocturnal, worshipping a goddess, etc).

Regardless, not sure how that has much relevance here.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2018-06-14 at 12:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Oh yeah, Warcraft takes a lot of influence from Warhammer, although I believe night elves were more based on drow from D&D (more martiarchal-leaning, purple, nocturnal, worshipping a goddess, etc).

Regardless, not sure how that has much relevance here.
    I just wanted to show you some of the material that inspired them in case you didn't knew them

I'm basically drawing a distinction between the night elves and how they were portrayed in WC3, the WCRPG and Vanilla (mostly) and the night elves as they have been portrayed since Cata. These lines are pretty arbitrary, but it's pretty undeniable that there has been a huge shift from night elves as nocturnal, quasi-tribal amazons and bearded, ancient (but animalistic) wildmen to a more vaguely nature-affiliated more homogenized race more in line with the other races of the Alliance.

Which one do you think is ultimately the more unique and preferable style of the night elves?

they are still like wc3 they just like their allies jesus

It seems silly to pose such a question and poll in such a biased tone.

That being said, I do prefer the WC3 Night Elves - I think Blizz themselves said they watered NElves down a bit to bring the more in line with the Alliance. I would very much love to see the WC3 roots returning in BfA, hopefully the new Archer armour is a glimpse of that. Furthermore, they have a great opportunity now with a reason to be savage, and a necessity to use guerrilla warfare.

Preferred War3 version too. Now they seems just like shell of their former selves, like they're on sedatives or something.

WC3.

The Alliance ruined night elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seylene View Post
    ... No real idea why Blizzard decided to change what was successful into their current state.
    My guess is that since they've been the only elves on start up they got tolkinised to appear to a wider audience. If there would have been blood/high elves in vanilla they would most likely have kept them feral but sadly that's not how things went.
    Just look at all the threats about a new home for the night elves and how many "night elf" fans insist on putting them into suramar city because that would be the civilized thing. (I could puke every time I read that shit)

Make night elves feral again!

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    My guess is that since they've been the only elves on start up they got tolkinised to appear to a wider audience. If there would have been blood/high elves in vanilla they would most likely have kept them feral but sadly that's not how things went.
    Just look at all the threats about a new home for the night elves and how many "night elf" fans insist on putting them into suramar city because that would be the civilized thing. (I could puke every time I read that shit)

Make night elves feral again!
    Suramar? Try Stormwind! *gags*

10+ Year Old Account
    I would skin you right now if I could :P

One of my favorite bits of (pre WC3 even) night elf lore was in some of the concept art where they used axes rather than glaives and that the men had telepathic connections to their women who spoke on their behalf due to their "secrecy."

More likely so they could just sit in silence and look intimidating. Still awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRagebear View Post
    One of my favorite bits of (pre WC3 even) night elf lore was in some of the concept art where they used axes rather than glaives and that the men had telepathic connections to their women who spoke on their behalf due to their "secrecy."

More likely so they could just sit in silence and look intimidating. Still awesome.
    My favorite concept was how the druids were portrayed. Like each druidic order actually seemed to embody certain animal traits of the specific demi-god they drew their abilities from.

But yeah, night elf telepathy would be pretty cool.

Stood in the Fire The5thVegetable's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I agree fully. I kinda feel like part of why they feel as they do these days is honestly because of their model. It doesn't at all feel like the beautifully savage warriors of Warcraft 3.
    Why do I even bother to post on this damned site?

You joke, but you know it's only a matter of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The5thVegetable View Post
    I agree fully. I kinda feel like part of why they feel as they do these days is honestly because of their model. It doesn't at all feel like the beautifully savage warriors of Warcraft 3.
    That too. Their models are bad and their animations are bad. They're like ditzy cheerleaders more than savage warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    I would skin you right now if I could :P
    But seriously, a lot of races seem to have been diluted from Warcraft 3-Vanilla.

Orcs no longer seem as shamanistic bound and a union of clans under the Warchief and more like...just orcs. It's like everything the orcs fought from the end of Warcraft 2 and to beginning of WoW has just become null and void. I remember how shamans were portrayed, as these mysterious fur-clad holymen that went about their business and coexisted harmoniously with the world around them.

Humans seem a lot more purely lawful good (even supposedly bad or edgy humans really aren't that despicable), I mean one of the things I liked about the Pre-WC3 stories 'Lord of the Clans' and 'Blood and Honor' is that humans were portrayed much more organically and there was a lot of corruption. Blackmoore regularly abused his servants and was even raping Teretha. Lorin Remka was a female soldier who crossdressed in the Second War, only to be discovered by her commanding officer to be sent to the front lines to what he believed would be her death.

The only races that haven't really been affected by this were dwarves, tauren and gnomes. Who ironically don't even get enough development beyond a few NPCs here or there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    You joke, but you know it's only a matter of time.

- - - Updated - - -

That too. Their models are bad and their animations are bad. They're like ditzy cheerleaders more than savage warriors.
    @Jokubas did a pretty good mockup Photoshop job on additional night elf customization options that are pretty badass.

Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2018-06-14 at 01:28 AM.

Feral...

Just...just...

Feral.