Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, stupidity all aboard.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Wow that is some bad luck.

Deleted
    If GTA had a hardcore difficulty setting.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    It certainly happens. I'm not sure anyone's done an exhaustive cost-benefit analysis of firearm ownership, looking at things like increased suicide rate, children killing themselves and others, collateral damage from self defense, unjustified killings, risk for licensed weapons to eventually be used for crime, and so forth.
    You have a increased chance of cutting yourself if you have a kitchen knife than if you do not.

There was a study done in 2013 by the CDC, ordered by President Obama. Their conclusion was, firearms are a important deterrent for self defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    Agree but if the first guy actually would have shot the criminal the second victim would not have come into a dangerous situation.
    If the carjacker had attempted to steal my car with a knife in his hand, threatening me with it, I would have shot him the instance he tried to get inside my car.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

A robber without a gun? This couldn't have happened in the US.

Good stuff should have shot him though.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Another example of a successful self defense with a firearm. Happens far more often than anti-gunners want to admit.
    A taser or pepper spray would have worked equally as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    A taser or pepper spray would have worked equally as well.
    It can. And I do recommend those who choose not to have a firearm, to carry it for self defense. But it is not going to be as effective at stopping a deadly threat as a firearm. Pepper spray is dependent on a lot of outside your control factors. Such as wind, how far the target is and if the target is high on drugs or is armed also.

Tasers are well known to have a failure rate which would be unacceptable for myself at least. They also are dependent on what the person is wearing and some people simply are not effected by them as others are. Many videos are easy to find on YouTube of this.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    It can. And I do recommend those who choose not to have a firearm, to carry it for self defense. But it is not going to be as effective at stopping a deadly threat as a firearm. Pepper spray is dependent on a lot of outside your control factors. Such as wind, how far the target is and if the target is high on drugs or is armed also.
    While you're right, but if both people had firearms then we'll have a standoff and some people might get caught in the crossfire. Kinda lucky the thief couldn't afford a gun.
    Tasers are well known to have a failure rate which would be unacceptable for myself at least. They also are dependent on what the person is wearing and some people simply are not effected by them as others are. Many videos are easy to find on YouTube of this.
    I would hope that a taser or pepper spray is enough to deter people from continuing the attack. This man just went to another victim which also happened to have a gun. Unless your intent is to kill, that person will continue his objective until stopped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    While you're right, but if both people had firearms then we'll have a standoff and some people might get caught in the crossfire. Kinda lucky the thief couldn't afford a gun.

I would hope that a taser or pepper spray is enough to deter people from continuing the attack. This man just went to another victim which also happened to have a gun. Unless your intent is to kill, that person will continue his objective until stopped.
    Firearms do present the higher chance of unintentional deadly harm from them. But they also can give the wielder a more equal chance to defend themselves against a stronger or armed attacker. Firearms can deter a crime and do often. Tasers and pepper spray can also. But those have limitations that are not present with a firearm. But they do offer a non lethal way to protect yourself. And if I have to shoot my firearm at a attacker, the goal is not to kill them, but to stop them. Most firearm shootings, do not end in the death of the attacker.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Florida.

10chars
    Not to mention Walmart. That combination alone greatly increases the chance of people conceal carrying.

- - - Updated - - -

And if I have to shoot my firearm at a attacker, the goal is not to kill them, but to stop them. Most firearm shootings, do not end in the death of the attacker.
    Well you stop them by killing them. Center mass 3-5 rounds and sometimes that isn't enough https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the...riggernometry/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Well you stop them by killing them. Center mass 3-5 rounds and sometimes that isn't enough https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the...riggernometry/
    Not always. Of course you aim for the most effective area of the body to hit and the area which can stop the threat. If you wanted to make sure they would die, you aim for the center of their eyes for a head shot. But that would be very hard for most to hit.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Do people in Florida not lock the doors on their cars?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Do people in Florida not lock the doors on their cars?
    People should of course. Or if is it like our SUV, it locks the doors automatically when you reach a speed of 15 mph. But it is not that hard for people to smash your driver side window. And some rather not use the AC and have their windows down.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    People should of course. Or if is it like our SUV, it locks the doors automatically when you reach a speed of 15 mph. But it is not that hard for people to smash your driver side window. And some rather not use the AC and have their windows down.
    Windows are a lot sturdier than you'd think. Rescue workers often have specialized tools used to break them. Fair point about having the windows down, though.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    Is there a lesson here? That sometimes people being armed works out? Because I can post a bunch of threads about toddlers shooting themselves in the head if you'd like examples of the inverse.
    Or that adults with gun handling skills can defend themselves if given the tools to do so?

If you're worried about the kids perhaps start with the stuff that actually kills them at rates hundreds of times more than an accidental discharge of a firearm? Like poisoning or drowning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Not to mention Walmart. That combination alone greatly increases the chance of people conceal carrying.
    lol, right?

Walmart + Florida = chances of someone carrying a firearm are going to be way higher than trying to carjack someone outside a Whole Foods.