Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Basically just because the Lich King liked Northrend, and probably because the cold keeps undead fresh and crispy. Considering ashes can't be raised it's probably best to keep to the one element that would do the least outright physical damage to a new potential servant

Also keep your vrykul out of my DK lore. They've already ruined warriors.

Deleted
    Thermodynamics...

Pesky Frost DK scientists !

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    Can this info be outdated? I mean, I read somewhere that mages shape arcane into the form of fire and frost. Have to find the source though.
    Technically speaking they can do both. The Arcane essence of mana can be shaped into projectiles of Frost (e.g. Frostbolt or Ice Lance), but in the case of Blizzard this isn't how the spell works on a mechanical level. As opposed to an invocation like Frostbolt, the spell Blizzard is a summoning - in this case, summoning a fierce tempest of ice from the peaks of Northeron (or Northrend).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    What makes frost of any sort? Humidity and a drop in temperature. I think it's like magi using arcane to lower the temperature below zero to create ice, DK's use dark/shadow magic to lower the temperature to conjure up frost to hurt their adversaries.
    Conservation of mana (and effort) is probably key when it comes to creating spell effects. In the case of Mages, a Frostbolt is a localized creation of an icy projectile - it doesn't take a lot of mana or effort to create. Creating an entire weather phenomenon from nothing but will and mana would be difficult, perhaps even impossible save for the most powerful of Mages - but why create from nothing what already exists abundantly in a specific locale? A Mage can use their magic to summon an existing tempest from a place known for them with relative ease, and send it careening onto the battlefield (probably supplying a bit more staying power with additional mana).

I would say you could probably summon the same effect from Dun Morogh or Winterspring, but they're not really known for violent weather manifestations in the same way Northrend is - so you might have to expend more effort looking for one in those places as opposed to the home of violent, icy weather.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    As payment for their undying loyalty to Ner'zhul, the Lich King granted them control over the furious elements of Northrend. Now liches wield frost magic with their own considerable necromantic spells.
    --WC3 manual
    Different beat, same tune.
    Interesting. Sounds like it's really similar to Dark Shamans (which makes sense since they use the force of decay to force the elements to do their bidding).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    i get mine from the frosty shop around the corner. they have a crazy good kiwi strawberry slushy drink i always get

?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePallyRanger View Post
    Shamans call upon the elements.

Mages use arcane to bend the environment to their will.

Death Knights?
    Frost Runes

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    This is awesome, so long as they have black cherry with chocolate chips or mint chocolate chip.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Technically speaking they can do both. The Arcane essence of mana can be shaped into projectiles of Frost (e.g. Frostbolt or Ice Lance), but in the case of Blizzard this isn't how the spell works on a mechanical level. As opposed to an invocation like Frostbolt, the spell Blizzard is a summoning - in this case, summoning a fierce tempest of ice from the peaks of Northeron (or Northrend).
    I don't know. Technically it's indeed possible, but what is easier? To transform a large amount of arcane energy into a blizzard, or to somehow figure out the exact location of a particular blizzard on a different continent and summon it to your location? Oculeth showed us that teleportation is serious business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    I don't know. Technically it's indeed possible, but what is easier? To transform a large amount of arcane energy into a blizzard, or to somehow figure out the exact location of a particular blizzard on a different continent and summon it to your location? Oculeth showed us that teleportation is serious business.
    I think Icecrown is pretty much always in Blizzard conditions, you don't really have to go hunting for one, per se. But more than that it's probably more a matter of sympathies than actually physically hunting down a weather manifestation via magic - you could either expend a great amount of mana to make your own weather, or essentially "borrow" such a phenomenon from somewhere that symbolizes such. Or in another such example, which task would be easier for a Mage: creating water as well as the glass pitcher containing it, or teleport a glass pitcher from a nearby pantry and fill it with summoned water? It's kind of like that in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    As payment for their undying loyalty to Ner'zhul, the Lich King granted them control over the furious elements of Northrend. Now liches wield frost magic with their own considerable necromantic spells.
    --WC3 manual
    Different beat, same tune.
    what i like about this is that it means arthas is using the knowledge of nerzhul to give his dks their frost abilities. This also explains why frost spells look differenth than an ordinary shaman spell, its because the elements are being tortured so they look corrupted.

Also i was thinking that if you think about it,frost dks use decay, blood dks use spirit and unholy dks use a mix of both, because after all, necromancy is the power over life and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Icecrown Citadel had a trinity of Blood, Unholy and Frost magic which the Lich King could wield and bestow. The Death Knight class also wields these in the form of their rune system, as well as death runes which can act as any of the three. I realize these are just game mechanics, but I like to speculate that Frost, Blood and Unholy are all facets of the elemental force of Death, and are drawn to Azeroth from that realm - where it's probably very cold.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

Deleted
    Imported from Icecrown via crafty goblins.